Final

Peter Pan

Kyungsoo always seemed to be happy when he was around Jongin. Or at least Jongin thought he older one was happy, because every time he entered the white, sterile room Kyungsoo’s lips formed a heart-shaped smile.

 

They met each other in fourth grade and since that time both of them are inseparable. While Kyungsoo wanted to be a famous singer, Jongin always wanted to be a dancer. They listened to music together and sang  and danced.

 

But happiness didn’t last long for them. In sixth grade Kyungsoo had to go to the hospital for a few months. Jongin was skipping his beloved dance practice in order to visit his friend daily. He always brought some chocolate to make Kyungsoo happy, because he didn’t really like the food in the hospital.

 

Kyungsoo came back and everything seemed to be fine again. His hair was also growing back and he didn’t seem to be tired anymore. The older one never told Jongin that he still had to go the weekly checkups. He didn’t want his friend to worry about him. He’d rather see him smile.

 

Kyungsoo kept visiting Jongin’s dance classes and watched the younger one. He loved how Jongin’s body moved so carefully through the air. It was probably the most beautiful thing he ever saw.

 

Jongin loved Kyungsoo’s voice. He always listened to him while he was practicing. Sometimes alone and other times with his friends Jongdae and Baekhyun, who where both great singers. But for Jongin Kyungsoo was always the best.

 

But happiness didn’t last long enough. Soon after Kyugsoo’s 16th Birthday, he had to go to the hospital again. This time it didn’t just last a few months. Jongin also finally understood what was really going on.

 

“You should be sleeping Kyungsoo, aren’t you tired?” Asked Jongin and sat down besides him on the uncomfortable plastic chair.

 

“I am, but I really wanted to see you today. Yesterday I fell asleep too early and didn’t get to see you. The nurse said, you were here.” Kyungsoo took the younger’s hand and smiled.

 

“Your hair is growing back.” Jongin noticed and smiled a little brighter.

 

“It didn’t work this time. My body is not strong enough to go further through this, so they’ll be trying other methods. My parents think, the doctors think they gave up on me. I feel like it’s literally everywhere.” Kyungsoo sounded a little sad, but there was still a bright smile on his smile. He didn’t want Jongin to worry. In the end everything would be alright.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Did you bring the movie?” Kyungsoo asked to change the topic.

 

“I did.” Jongin opened his backpack and grasped the Peter Pan DVD. “I also brought  my laptop. Let’s watch it.”

 

The older one fell asleep after twenty minutes into the movie. Usually that wouldn’t happen, because it was his favourite film and he loved every second of it and would never miss anything. Jongin stared at the sleeping boy and caressed his thin hand until the movie was finished. He left the DVD on Kyungsoo’s night stand, so he could finish it tomorrow and left the hospital.

 

The next day Jongin entered the white hospital room Kyungsoo was already asleep. He sat down beside the pale boy.

 

“Hey, Hyung. I’m here.” He whispered and took his hand. “You are so beautiful.”

 

It was silent for a while. “Jongin.” Kyungsoo muttered and smiled. Slowly he opened his eyes and found the tanned boy in front of him.

 

“Jongin, do you know the real story of Peter Pan?”

 

“No, Kyungsoo. I don’t.” To be honest he wasn’t really interested in this stuff, but he always tried to enjoy it for Kyungsoo.

 

“In real life Peter Pan kidnapped kids and took them to Neverland. But instead of not aging the kids grew up and Peter Pan killed them.”

 

“Wow, that sounds really horrible. That will probably ruin someone childhood. Better keep it a secret.” Jongin didn’t really knew what to say. He just rambled out some random words.

 

“But there is also another version. It’s my personal favourite.”

 

“If their is more murder in it, I’m leaving this room.” Jongin said and laughed at his terrible joke.

 

Kyungsoo smiled and shook his head. “Peter Pan is an angel, that takes children by their hand and accompanied them to heaven. Heaven being Neverland. That’s why the children never grew up. Because they died.”

 

Jongin lost his words. Smile falling from his voice. Tears slowly building up in his eyes and threatening to fall.

 

“You’re not going to die, Hyung.”

 

“We both know that it will happen one day.”

 

 

Kyungsoo got worse. Jongin couldn’t visit him everyday anymore. A dancing competition was coming up and the teacher wanted Jongin to participate. He really wanted to say no, but this was a once in a lifetime chance for him.

 

So he danced. He danced his fear of losing Kyungsoo away. Let the music swallow his sadness and bad thoughts. This couldn’t be the end of their journey. Jongin wanted to live side by side with the smaller boy, singing and dancing together with big smiles on their faces.

 

Jongin entered Kyungsoo’s room with a fake smile planted on his face. There were even more machines hanging on his body than last time.

 

“Hyung. How do you feel today? Is there anything new?” He asked while sitting down.

 

“Nothing ... still getting worse.” Kyungsoo didn’t smile anymore. He seemed to be losing hope on getting better, knowing he would never be leaving this bed again. Just slowly fading away.

 

Jongin left with a bad feeling. The next day he wasn’t allowed to visit Kyungsoo. They told him his heart stopped beating for a few seconds. It beat again.