Chapter 1

Pretender

 

 

Taekwoon looked through the window at the city he was living in. The sky was dark and the stars were shining. He had got used to the busy noises of the city below him. Taekwoon's apartment was bigger compared to other ones nearby and was located at the top floor of the apartment building. It had a nice large kitchen, two bedrooms, one bathroom and a living room. Taekwoon liked to keep the apartment neat, which was a bit difficult because he had the messiest roommate ever. The only room Taekwoon allowed to be messy was his roommate's, Jaehwan's, room. He had fought against it at first but hadn't had the strength to battle his stubborn roommate.

 

The last time Taekwoon had drunk blood was a month ago, which is a way too long time for a vampire. He felt the crave starting to burn in the pit of his stomach. He hated it. The crave and need to drink blood disgusted him. It was a never-dying reminder of his cursed existence. His roommate was a vampire as well but he enjoyed it to the fullest. Jaehwan was always trying to cheer Taekwoon up and get him to go outside and have fun. Taekwoon usually didn't understand him. To Taekwoon the ”having fun and enjoying a delicious meal” isn't as fun as his friend thinks it is. Drinking blood was only a way of survival to him.

 

And tonight, you're coming with me. I don't care whether you want to or not,” Jaehwan said and grapped Taekwoon's wrist. Taekwoon followed Jaehwan saying nothing.

 

♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢

 

They walked around the cold and dark city for a while until they saw two girls walking by, checking their phones under the light of the street lamps. The light illuminated their appearances. Both of them had long and straight brown hair but the shorter and probably younger one had on glasses. Jaehwan smirked and went closer to the girls.

 

What are you beautiful girls doing out here this late?” Jaehwan asked and flashed his signature smile at the girls. They stuffed their phones into their pockets and looked up at Jaehwan.

 

None of your business,” the younger girl said.

 

You should be more polite to people older than you,” Jaehwan said quietly while leaning closer to the younger one's neck. He ran his hand through the girl's hair and grapped it so she couldn't run away.

 

Get away from me,” the girl shrieked. The older girl just looked at them slightly alarmed. Jaehwan opened his mouth and caressed the girl's neck lightly with his fangs. The girl flinched and the other girl took a step back, sensing that something had to be wrong.

 

Suddenly, Taekwoon appeared behind the older girl and took a tight grip on her shoulders. She glanced quickly over her shoulder at Taekwoon and tried to fight off his hold. Jaehwan sank his teeth into his victim and started to drink her blood. Taekwoon did the same. Both of the girls screamed loudly because of the pain but Jaehwan and Taekwoon just pushed their fangs even deeper. The blood was dripping down from the girls' neck to their jackets. Finally, after a few minutes, the girls got as pale as snow and Taekwoon and Jaehwan let their bodies fall to the ground.

 

Agh, they were so ing loud,” Jaehwan said and wiped the blood from his lips. Taekwoon was staring at his victim's lifeless body for a while before he sighed and walked back to his and Jaehwan's apartment. Soon, Jaehwan followed him. Taekwoon smiled when they heard quick footsteps going towards the bodies.

 

Well, that's new. Never happened before. Usually people are so stupid that they don't even notice anything. I think this might cause a bit of trouble for a while,” Jaehwan mentioned and looked over his shoulder. Taekwoon didn't say anything and Jaehwan frowned at his silence.

 

You know, sometimes I hate living with you. It feels like I'm living alone because you're so quiet. Seriously, talk more,” Jaehwan said.

 

Maybe you shouldn't be around those human friends of yours so you can get used to the silence,” Taekwoon answered but didn't even glance at Jaehwan.

 

♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢ ♦ ♢

 

Hey, man! What's up?” Jaehwan's friends shouted across the café. He waved at them lazily and headed for the counter to order himself a drink. He liked strong coffee, espressos especially.

 

What have you guys been up to? Just loitering around here again with nothing to do?” Jaehwan teased his friends as he sat at their table. Their group had their usual table at this local café where even the employees knew them by names. His friends didn't know about his unusual habit of drinking blood every other night. Sometimes Jaehwan wondered what their reaction would be like if they ever found out about his secret.

 

You're one to talk, pretty boy. I bet you were out partying the whole night again,” one of his friends said and leaned forward to inspect Jaehwan's face. ”I'm still wondering how on earth you never have black circles under your eyes. What's your secret?” he inquired admiringly.

 

I guess I'm just too good-looking to have any black circles,” Jaehwan grinned. His friends snorted in laughter. Oh, if only they knew. As a vampire Jaehwan didn't need much sleep at all. About two to three hours was enough. He had never had black circles. Actually, generally speaking he was more handsome than any human could be. He was also physically more fit and stronger than others. It was all thanks to his vampire abilities.

 

Anyways, we were thinking of playing a game of basketball in the park. Wanna come with?”

 

Sure, let's go.” Jaehwan started to get up from his seat.

 

...two young girls found dead in the city last night,” the café's TV had been turned to the news channel and the news anchor on screen was looking astonished as he read the latest reports. ”These girls had apparently been drained of blood and left to die on the sidewalk. The investigator found two puncture wounds on the girls' necks but no other bodily damage had been done to them. The investigation continues...” the news anchor's voice faded as Jaehwan's friends started chattering.

 

Wow. Puncture wounds on the neck? Sounds like vampires to me.”

 

Hey, come on, man. Vampires don't exist. That's crazy talk.”

 

What else could explain that? A murderer who just likes stabbing people in the neck with a sharp pencil? And what about the draining of blood?”

 

Well, I dunno.”

 

Exactly. Vampires.”

 

Haha, that's very funny, mate. I bet the vampires are coming after you next because you know their secret now,” Jaehwan gave his friend an amused look. The others burst out laughing. To them vampires belonged only to old legends and horror stories. Jaehwan wasn't concerned about his friends figuring out anything. Humans were known to be really stupid. They speculated all kinds of things but never found out the truth about anything.

 

Yeah, forget it. Let's go, we have some other guys joining us for the basketball match.”

 

They all got up and headed outside. Jaehwan hoped the game would make him forget his worries. He wasn't too concerned about the investigation continuing and the police getting involved but he still couldn't relax completely.

 


 

Thank you for reading the first chapter of my new story. I hope you liked it. Please, leave a comment and tell me your thoughts about it. : )