A book note that says it all.

The Things I Can't Say to You.

It was a cold but nice day and, being almost midday, the birthday boy was all enclosed in his room, reading a book that had caught his attention lately. His team mates had already wished him a happy birthday via social networks or phone calls. His family had already called him too, wishing him a happy birthday and his mom told him that the next time he came home she would cook for him the most delicious seaweed soup ever, so he was happy. There was still one person who had not wished him a happy birthday yet.

Somebody knocked on Jaebum’s bedroom door.

- "Come in"

The person who knocked entered the room slowly, as if he didn’t want to get noticed. Then, he saw that the person in the room was sitting on a chair and was so focused reading a book he had never seen, and still with his pajamas on. Despite the book was so interesting, Jaebum didn’t want to be rude to the person in his room, so he lifted his face to see who the visitor was. It was a bit stupid to get surprised to discover who the person was, since all the members were not in the apartment by then, except for one person.

- “Jinyoungie!” – Jaebum said, trying to cover his unnecessarily astonished face.

- “Hey! I... just came to wish you... Happy birthday, hyung!” – Jinyoung had his hands in his back, holding a small wrapped box. – “I know the fans may have brought lots of great presents and I really didn’t know what to give to you, but I still hope you like this”

Jinyoung handed in the box to Jaebum. Then, he got closer, in an attempt to give him a hug. And he did it, but it was a quick one, just like Jaebum doesn’t like hugs. Still, he received it gladly because it was the only skinship Jaebum and Jinyoung have had since that happened.  

- “Thank you”-. Jaebum said gladly, not for the hug but for seeing that Jinyoung at least didn’t forget about his birthday. Jinyoung turned around and was about to leave the room when he felt a strong hand holding his arm.

- “Jinyoungie, wait!”- Jinyoung looked at his hyung.

- “I... I was thinking if you wanted to go out with me tonight... y-you know, there’s this coffee shop recently opened near our dorm so... I wanted to go there... with y-you, I mean there’s nobody else I can go with, so...”. There was a 5 seconds silence, then, he spoke again. – “I mean, not like a date or something, just...”

- “Jaebum hyung...”- he interrupted. – “I’m sorry. I can’t”

- “Why?”

- “I’m leaving to Jinhae, to my parents’ house. I’m taking a few days to have some rest before continuing filming the movie”

- “When?”

- “Tonight”

- “Why didn’t you tell me”

- “Hyung, you know I don’t have to... not anymore”-. Jinyoung said the last two words so low that Jaebum almost doesn’t hear them. Jaebum loosened his grip on Jinyoung’s arm.

- “Oh, right. Sorry... and I’m happy for you. I hope you can rest well”

- “Thanks hyung”. Jinyoung turned around again but this time he left the room. Jaebum stood still in his spot, not knowing what to think or do...

 

 

It was almost 6:00 p.m. and Jinyoung was ready to leave the apartment, despite his manager told him he would be picking him up at 7:00. He didn’t know why he finished packing his things so fast. Probably he was too excited to see his family and have some rest. Or maybe he just wanted to scape from the heavy atmosphere there was between the two people in the dorm. He didn't really know. He thought it would be a good idea to go to a cafeteria nearby to have something to eat before the journey, so he left his room with all his luggage and put them in the hallway.

He saw the apartment was so quiet and he though he missed this calm and it felt like it was in his JJ Project days, but he missed the other guys though. He noticed there was no mess in the dorm so he supposed that Jaebum didn’t left his room, maybe for taking something small to eat from time to time. Despite it was difficult and a bit awkward to talk to Jaebum since that happened, he felt the need to say good bye to him before leaving, so he went to look for him to his bedroom.

*Knock, knock*

- “Jaebum hyung? Can I come in?”

Nobody answered.

*Knock, knock, knock*

- “Jaebum hyung? Are you there?” Is he sleeping already?

No answer, again.

- “Jaebum hyung?”

As he got no answer, he decided to open the door but Jaebum was definitely not in his room. He went to look for him in the other rooms but he couldn’t find him. He tried texting and calling him but he noticed he left his phone in his bedroom. Jaebum was nowhere to be found. Except for one place...

 

 

Ahh, this boy really loves reading... and rooftops! Jinyoung thought to himself when he saw Jaebum sitting on the floor of the rooftop of their building, leaning his back on a wall and reading that same unknown book so intently again.  Jinyoung walked as silently as he could and stood just near Jaebum.

- “How come you leave the dorm and you don’t take your cellphone with you? On your birthday!? When your beloved ones may be calling you! How rude!”. Jinyoung said as he came closer to Jaebum, pretending to be scolding him but not looking at him. 

- “Jinyoungie!”- Hearing Jinyoung’s voice startled him. “What are you doing here? And how did you find me?”

 - “You were not in your bedroom, not even in the dorm. For a second I thought you probably went to the new coffee shop but you wouldn’t have gone alone”. Jinyoung didn’t look at him. He was staring at the sky all the time. “I know you like to come here when you want to have some time for yourself so...  By the way, what the hell are you doing here? I thought you were out having some fun. It’s your birthday, right?”

- “Yes, I know. I thought about it but the guys are not here and I didn’t feel like calling my old friends. My parents are travelling overseas and they are not coming back until next week. I don’t have anybody to spend the day so I just felt like reading... and thinking”

- “Thinking about what?”. Jinyoung said as he settled down to sit beside Jaebum, still not looking at him.

- “About the past, feelings, many things...” Jaebum suddenly felt a weight and he looked at his right. It was Jinyoung who leaned his head down on his shoulder. “What are you doing? Aren’t you leaving?” He was afraid he probably sounded rude but it was not his intention.  

- “Yes, but there’s still almost an hour before the manager comes to pick me up so I just felt like giving this extra minutes away to the birthday boy. Can’t I?” On the other hand, Jinyoung did want to sound rude, but he failed. He can’t be rude when it comes to Jaebum.  

- “Of course... you can” Jinyoung smiled and Jaebum didn’t really know how to react to Jinyoung’s words and actions.

 - “Keep reading”

- “O.k.”

Jaebum opened his book again, making sure not to let Jinyoung see one of the papers in which he was writing something a moment ago.

- “Read aloud! I like listening to you reading”

- “O.k. But you don’t even know what the book is about. And I’m almost finishing it...”

- “Just read for me! Will you?”- He pouted.

- “Alright!” A smile was formed in Jaebum’s lips as he started reading, following Jinyoung’s command. Jaebum was reading the last chapter aloud to Jinyoung and they couldn’t help but remember the past days when they used to read books together while taking a cup of coffee. When Jaebum was making Jinyoung part of one of his favorite hobbies. When he was teaching Jinyoung how useful reading was and the way he did it was reading books aloud to him. And that’s how Jinyoung started reading. When they were still the JJ Project duo and they just started dating a few months after debuting. When they were told that they would debut again in a group called GOT7 but they were still in a relationship.  When their team mates found out about their relationship but they supported them. The moments when they were so happy...

Then, he also thought about the times they started having small fights and quarrels about stupid things, and ended up they not talking to each other for several days. When they were not really communicating to each other as they used to do. When they felt they were closer to any of the other members, even closer to the managers than to each other. When Jinyoung cried his heart out for Jaebum’s harsh words... “You don’t have to tell me what you are doing or where you are going! And neither have I to tell you! We are not in that relationship anymore. Just do whatever you want and that’s it. And go cry to Jackson. Isn’t he your best friend now? Leave me alone!”  When they decided to break up and their relationship, even as friends, was not the same anymore...  

Jaebum thought that his Jinyoungie (because he couldn’t stop thinking of him as “his Jinyoungie”) would never forgive him for how cruel he was to him with those words. And that he would never forgive himself for not being able to control his anger before saying hurtful words to his most beloved ones. Jinyoung was listening to Jaebum reading but he was also thinking about the past. They both recalled those nights thinking about each other and crying in the middle of the darkness and loneliness of their rooms, Jinyoung hugging that cute teddy bear Jaebum gave him for their first anniversary and letting his tears fall over it, and Jaebum hugging himself while his tears wet his sheets and blanket.

He finished reading the last page of the book and he felt Jinyoung’s steady breathing. He knew what it was because Jinyoung would always do that. He moved slightly to the side to find Jinyoung peacefully sleeping on his shoulder. He smiled. With his thumb he caressed Jinyoung’s right cheek lovingly, then his lips.

He didn’t have his cellphone but they have been there for several minutes so Jaebum thought it probably was already time for Jinyoung to leave. He almost felt guilty for waking him up as he seemed so angel-like while sleeping.

- “Jinyoungie!”- He said softly, patting his cheek.

-“Jinyoungie, wake up! I think it’s time for you to go” He patted a bit stronger this time.

- “Jinyoungie!!!!”

The called man woke up all startled looking around and he seemed confused.

- “Huh? What?”

Jaebum smiled for how cute he looked.

- “It’s time to leave. Remember?”

- “Oh, yeah, right”

Jinyoung stood up from the floor cleaning his clothes and Jaebum followed suit.

- “Well hyung, I think I have to go now”

- “Yes, I know. Have a safe trip Jinyoungie. Come back soon”

- “Yes, I will. Thanks” Jinyoung was about to turn around but first he looked down for a second and noticed something familiar on Jaebum’s left wrist.

- “You didn’t have to wear it right away, hyung” The younger man said, blushing.

- “Huh? What?... Ah, you mean this” Jaebum said, pointing at a small wooden bracelet that was inside a pretty wrapped box a while before. “But I liked it. Besides, it has my name carved on it – he said while looking at it – I liked it a lot”

Jinyoung was blushing so much that despite it was a bit dark it could have been noticed by Jaebum, if only he stopped looking at the bracelet with so much fondness.

- “I’m glad you liked it. Well, I really have to go now”

Jaebum finally looked at Jinyoung “Oh, right...”

Jinyoung hesitantly turned around to leave when he heard his name.

- “Jinyoungie, wait! I have something to say”

Jinyoung turned around to hear what Jaebum was going to say. Jaebum seemed to be really nervous. He was fidgeting and looking at anywhere but Jinyoung. He wasn’t so sure to say what he was going to say. At the last minute Jaebum opted for saying something safer...

- “... Jinyoungie, c-could you, just for once, call me the way you used to call me before?”

Jinyoung thought about it a bit but he decided to concede his wish just for the birthday boy.

- “Jaebumie!”

- “Thank you” They both smiled. Then, Jinyoung turned around to finally take his luggage and leave.

Jaebum blamed himself for being such a chicken. Why am I acting like a teenager? He thought to himself. He sat again on the floor, took his book, opened a certain page, and kept writing on it. When he finished what he needed to wirte, he ran to catch Jinyoung before leaving.

- “Jinyoungie, wait! Jinyoungie!!!” Jaebum called Jinyoung desperately.

- “Hyung, calm down. I have not gone yet. What’s wrong?”

- “Jinyougie, take this” Jaebum handed him the book he was reading a while ago on the rooftop.  

- “But that is your book. I shouldn’t take it”

Jaebum remembered when they broke up he told Jinyoung that he wasn’t allowed to have his books and that he should give them back to his owner. He bit his lower lip.

- “It’s ok. I’m giving it to you. I already finished it anyway. I want you to read it. Till the end. Read everything there is in that book, o.k?”

- “Got it. May I go now?”

 

 

 

When Jaebum closed the door he found a stick-it note on the door.

 

I know today you didn’t have a proper meal. Stop reading so much and eat all your meals, ok? I promise I’ll cook for you every day as soon as I’m back. Take care of yourself, Jaebumie.

 

He took the note with him and went straight to the kitchen to find something good and healthy to eat. One rebellious tear found its way down Jaebum’s cheek.

 

 

 

It was two days since Jinyoung arrived to his parents’ house. He had already finished reading the book and he thought it was a really good one, just like the other books Jaebum had made him read. On the very last page he found a hand-written letter and he thought it was part of the book. It was the first time he saw that and he considered it something smart and nice for a book. When he started reading the letter he noted how wrong he was while realizing who the author of the letter was...  

To the reader of this book

To the person leaving today

To my beloved one

Jinyoungie. You know I have never been good at speaking out my feelings. Not even to mom. It has always being difficult for me but I’m going to try to be honest to you even through a piece of paper. And I know I shouldn’t be saying what I’m going to say but I need to do it if not I’m going to break apart. Jinyoungie, my Jinyoungie, I need you. I hate the way we are right now. I know we are still friends but ice-cold friends. I miss you. I want to be your best friend again. And more than that, I want to be your lover again. I want you to whisper sweet things to my ears. I want to feel your touch again. I want you to tell me whatever you’re doing and wherever you’re going to. I want to take your hands and feel secure like I did before. I want not just to caress your lips but kiss them. I want your warm and long hugs back. Jinyoungie, my Jinyoungie, I love you. And I know I’m an idiot and I don’t deserve your indulgence but I just wanted you to know my feelings. Sorry for not being able to say it to you in person. I’m idiot like this. I’m sorry and I love you.

From the reader of this book, before you.

From the person who misses you the most.

From the person who is still crazy in love with you.  

 

His eyes were full of tears and he could barely see something. He cried his heart out again and he blamed that stupid Jaebum for making him cry so much, either for pain or joy. Because he knew they were both childish and stupid and that they both deserved a second chance. Jinyoung knew he should take revenge for how Jaebum hurted him, as many other people usually do, but he has never been a resentful person. He was just an idiot who was still so in love that he would be glad to forgive. And he would forgive a thousand times more. Because he wants to cry of joy. Even the tears of pain taste good if he can still be beside the person he loves.

He thought to himself that Jaebum was the most colossal idiot in the whole planet for ruining his so waited journey to his hometown because after reading this now he couldn’t wait for coming back to Seoul and take that guy from his small and y neck and kiss him as if there was no tomorrow. “You just wait, Im Jaebum, you idiot!” Said Jinyoung to himself, drying his tears and smiling as brightly as he hadn’t done in a long time ago...

     ---------------------------

Hey guys! Here I am again with another JJP fic :D I decided to write this story since lately, most of the JJP fics I’ve read are sad stories and I don’t know why anybody wrote a happy fic for Jaebum’s birthday XD This fic was supposed to be uploaded on Jaebum’s birthday but I take my time proofreading. However, I’m sure there are still mistakes so sorry for that and for my poor English. I tried to make this story not too cheesy but romantic so I hope you like it. Happy New Year!!! :)