A Whole New World

Broken Connection

Breya opened her eyes and blinked, bolting up she looked around at her surroundings, curious as to where she had ended up falling asleep. There was only sand streatched about her with small underwater shrubary. Swish, the sixgill shark that she had raised from a young age swam around her in lazy impatiant for her to wake up and get going.

Sorry Swish, did you already eat? Maybe we should go back home now shouldn't we...

Turning, Breya flicked her silvery white tail towards the direction she felt was home. Swish turned and followed the young girl, curious towards her calm demenor despite the special occasion.

Getting back to the kingdom, Breya swam directly to the main gathering hall. As soon as she neared, she began to hear the muffled flowing melodies that the people were singing, wishing the youngest princess well on her coming of age. through the water, she entered the large main room and swam up before breaking through the surface of the waters, and being able to hear the enchanting songs more clearly.

Breya looked around marveling at many of her beautiful people sitting around on the edges of the water, their fins submerged and their torso's glistening at the transition from scales to skin. The crowd parted for her as she made her way back below the waves to her father and sisters who were enjoying the celebration beneath the depths of thee palace. Luminious jellyfish lit up the large and light blue room, reflecting across the multi-colored scales of the many guests.

Breya!! Your coming of age, be more disciplined, this is your party! At least be on time won't you?

Alise, the eldest of the six girls, turned and send her a private telepathic link along with a stern look. Breya ducked her head, covering her face with the long strands of pale white hair floating around her. Her four other sisters rushed over to caress her cheek and shower her with hugs, wishing her luck and happiness.

Breya broke from the other girls and eventually got Amenome, the second eldest, to heard them all away from her as she approached her grandmother and father who stood together watching her movements like Swish did with food. in and expelling water from her gills, Breya swam forward before stopping infront of them both and pulling her fin forward while bowing. The most vounerable position that any of her people could be caught in.

Kano, her father, smiled at her as he the girl on the head and then the cheek signaling her luck and giving his approval. Popping back up, Breya turned towards her grandmother and gave her a large embrace. She had lost her mother to the surface world when Breya had gotten captured in fishing nets, the queen used her power to switch places with Breya in order to keep her daughter safe, but in return her mother was gone from their lives.

Breya's father and grandmother ended up raising the sisters, although truthfully...Alise, the eldest mainly took care of the girls.

Grandmother looked at Breya with sparkling eyes and yet a remorseful smile graced her lips.

Be good my child, and always think with your head, never trust your heart

Breya smiled back at grandmother and nodded, grandmother was the wisest and also the one gifted with sights of what is to come. For the rest of the night, she had fun feasting on oysters, mussel, seaweed and a variety of different foods that she had only tried on her sister's coming of age parties.

She sang, recieved small gifts, watched tricks being performed as well as getting more luck from the rest of the kingdom that attended the ceremony. The night was enjoyable, and that night as she was about to drift off to sleep, Breya's lips curled into a soft smile as she felt Alise giving her some luck despite being upset at her tardiness.

***************************
Breya

I startled awake, a bit scattered and an overwarm sensation all over my tail. Angling my head, I watched in wonder as the color began to change from a silvery white to a soft blue hue with speckles of shiny silver scales in random places. I almost opened my mouth to shout, before realizing where I was, underwater within the bedroom of five sleeping sisters,  freezing in place I tried to calm my eratic heart beat before swimming off my stone perch and quietly swimming past the sleeping girls.

Once I was out of range from the palace and sure that no one would be able to hear me, I let out the shrill vibrations that I had kept in. Wasting no time at all, my new tail immediately made it's way up to the surface as quickly as possible without a care about what creatures I might have accidentally smack into.

Finally I'll be able to see the world that everyone in the kingdom tried to explain to me, the mysterious world that had taken mother away from us. And there would be no barrier to stop me anymore, I'll be able to see the stars and moon that they always talk about, and even the sun that was suppose to warm you.

I looked down at my new pale blue tail, all of the younger children who had not yet come to age were born with silvery white tails. After mother had vanished, father had put a protection spell on the people to protect them from the outside world, if they had not yet reached a certain age and gone through a transformation than they were unable to go anywhere close to the surface.  

It was quite vexing since there were so many curious objects that I had found down near the ocean floor that belonged to the world above. They usually didn't last for very long, unless they were hard, shiny, and reflective. Every little bobble eventually had plants and creatures that would grown on it and make a home.

Coming up to the invisible boarder, I lightly touched it before slowly passing through with a tingly sensation. Continuing to swim, I finally made it to the surface and slowly emerged from the waters to see the world above for the first time. The first thing I saw were the small twinkling objects in the sky, like tiny moon jellyfishes, the night sky was the exact same color of my deep home and I let out a laugh of joy and fulfillment.

All those days of hurling stones  and exotic human objects at the sea boarder were finally over, I could come up and look at the vast sea-sky whenever I pleased. Turning to look around me, I was startled to notice a large vessal floating ontop of my ocean home, a human object that was brightly lit and seemed to have very loud noise...almost like a ceremony that I had earlier.

Swimming closer to it despite my uneasiness, I started fascinated at the brightly lit 'thing' in the sea. Getting near the bottom edge, I noticed how large the vessel actually was similar, yet it was not quite as grand or as majestic looking as the human ships that were sunken at the bottom of the ocean.

I nearly recoiled back under the waves when I saw the humans, they were so...so fascinating! Their bodies were covered with ridiculious and restricting objects that only exposed their arms and necks, clothes I think..., I had heard the rumor that they were much more succeptable to the cold than my people. Their skin had such color compared to my pale white complexion, the sun must have given them that gift just like the mermaids who stayed above the border longer. The colors of their hair were awing, most of the people from my kingdom had pale white hair like mine yet theirs were as colorful as the coral reef and as dark or light as the reef fishes.

My eyes were drawn down towards their lower portions, unlike my water people, the humans had two seperate fins, legs was what my sisters had told me. They were able to walk on the land with these legs and even swim in the water, although they didn't swim as fast as us, the legs on the humans looked so frail like our arms yet they were able to fully carry the weight of the humans and let them walk, it was incredible and unbelievable. 

Getting a few splashes closer, I heard them speaking and laughing to one another, I dipped under the water until I was up to my shoulders and got close enough to the vessel that I would have been able to touch it with the bottom of my fin if I wanted to. Looking up, I peered at the face of a human male, he had the darkest of dark hair that reminded me of the black pearls of the sea, from my angle I could only see a portion of his face yet it was quite enchanting.

His chin was quite sharp but his jawline was smooth, I curiously wished I could touch him. His nose was tall and straight, his eyes looking directly at something on the ship as his soft and pink lips seemed to turn into a small smile. I noticed a small silver loop that was attached to the lobe of his ear and began wondering if he got snagged by one of the human fish catching hooks when he suddenly opened his mouth and a beautiful melody began to play out from this land boy's mouth.

My mouth opened almost as wide as his mouth as I listened to the beautiful melody that had been paired up with words I was unfamiliar with. I never knew that humans were able to create music that was almost as beautiful as our songs. Unaware of myself, I had pulled my upper body out of the warm ocean waves and closer to the top area of the vessel where the boy was singing so I would be able to hear the song more clearly. 

I should have been more careful, I heard another voice calling out towards the sea in my direction. Startled, I jearked back slightly and looked around before my eyes locked onto another boy who's beauty took my breath away. Unlike the singing human, this one had soft features with dark eyes that glinted light from the moon and stars and stared at me with concern and shock. 

His full lips were tinted coral red and his dark hair seemed tousled and wild, as if he was the one who had been swimming in the sea. I snapped out of my fascination and dove down into the waves as my heart began to race with fear and yet an odd sense of excitement. I saw humans, and one had seen me...realizing the last part, dread filled my heart as I thought about my mother and how she was taken away. 

Filled with terror that they would send a net to ensnare me as well, I dove and swam as fast as I could back to the safety of the barrier. I didn't stop until I had reached the palace and my sleeping chamber with the rest of my sisters. Curling up as comfortably as my quaking body could, I tried drifting off to sleep with dreams filled with an enchanting melody yet unfamiliar words and a pair of eyes that seemed to pierce the depths of my heart.