Ours

A Penny for a Memory

As soon as Sehun and Chanyeol were home, Chanyeol opened his laptop and types,

Byun Baekhyun

Sehun sees this and his heart starts pounding – and it’s not that the type that happens when he sees Luhan sitting inside the coffee shop - it’s the type that makes him feel a hundred times more worried than he already is.

“Why are you searching for Byun Baekhyun? Are you into his music now?”

“It was him! It’s the boy from my memory!”

“You mean from other people’s memory...It’s not yours Chanyeol; you know that.”

“Sehun, it’s mine – no, it’s his. It’s ours! It’s our memories!”

“What are you talking about Chanyeol?”

“Look, Junmyeon, the keeper, told me that today’s our last session and you know why? It’s because my Reverie is connected with me...It’s him, Sehun! I have to find that Byun Baekhyun, I have to know what happened...”

Sehun feels uneasy, he doesn’t want to talk anymore because if he does, he might simply spill everything out, “Chanyeol, calm down...”

“How am I supposed to calm down? I just found out about my past – that I may have been with someone, that I may have been good friends with someone...That-that, I may have loved him, Sehun. I may have had and maybe, I still do...”

“Chanyeol, you’re a lawyer. You know how things work; you don’t have to act now, you have to think first.” Sehun shivers along with the words he said. He is on the brink of blowing up his cover. He wants to be Chanyeol’s friend right now, the one from high school, the one who witnessed how Chanyeol got his first kiss or how he planned of becoming a lawyer. Sehun saw it all – he saw how Chanyeol was to Baekhyun and he saw how Baekhyun was to his friend.

Chanyeol covers his ears and stands at the corner of his living room, he sits down slowly until he is in a fetal position and soon starts rocking back-and-forth, “I have to find him, Sehun. I have to know. I have the right to know...” He says this as tears roll down his cheeks.

Sehun walks over to calm his friend, he hugs him and places his chin on top of his forehead; it feels just like they were in highschool again. He remembers how Chanyeol cried so hard when he lost his ferret but, this time, it wasn’t just a pet that he lost – it’s something, no, someone. It's someone. Sehun and Chanyeol stayed in that corner for a while until Chanyeol stops crying.

“Hyung...” Sehun says. This is the first time he calls him hyung again.

“Did you just call me Hyung? Aren’t we...aren’t we the same age?”

Sehun stands up and sits on the couch, “You want to know the truth right? No, we're not the same age, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol follows and sits beside him. He nods to Sehun’s question.

“Well, I don’t really have any plans on saying this. I vowed that I won’t but, if this is going to help you now, I might as well do...”

Chanyeol anticipates between the silence so Sehun continues,

“I’m your friend from the past... I have been with you since we were in highschool.”

Chanyeol grasps in reply, “But, but...Aren’t you supposed to stay away? Isn’t that what the government demands?”

“I thought you’re the lawyer here?" Sehun smiles, "The government – or rather, the law – demands to break all forms of familial or important social relationships that a government worker has. However, such family members, friends, or others whom you may have had a relationship with may continue to establish a relationship in another form...Well, in my case, I signed up to be your neighbor and everything I’m telling you now might get us both in jail.”

“Sehun...I-I have no idea that you were my friend and I...”

“Save that when we’re in jail.”

“We’re not going to get in jail, I promise.” Chanyeol chuckles, “But, please help me find him.”

“Chanyeol, if we find him, you’re aware that he doesn’t remember you anymore, right? If he sold his memories completely, it means he has forgotten as well and there’s no way for him to get them back unless someone who has witnessed the same memories would be his Reverie...In that case, you’re the only potential Reverie for him -”

Chanyeol continues, “But, I’m already a Memoir which means that I can’t give any memories because I have lost mine too...”

Sehun nods, “Exactly! Well, of course you could find him, you could see him, talk to him even but, you can’t get him back in whichever way you want to.”

“Sehun-shi, if you were my friend from high school, you must know Byun Baekhyun as well, right? Why did he sell his memories completely?”  

This is going to be one hell of a story, Sehun thinks.