Dollhouse

Once-Twice Shot // A collection

Title: Dollhouse

Summary: Mina also known as Juliett knows she's different from the other dolls and she can feel certain things, so why can't she figure it out?

Dollhouse!AU

Words: 5,001 exactly.

 

I'd like to thank everybody who upvoted and subscribed to the story! It means a lot.


 

2027

 

“Say if you had the ability to wipe out anybody’s memories and personalities, basically make them a clean slate and input a new personality what would you do?” said Jihyo a 30 year old entrepreneur. She placed her glass of whisky onto the coffee table, settling herself down in the fine, black leather seat.

 

“Is this meant to be a trick question?” Jungyeon, a smart 28 year old, raised a brow and took her own glass, watching as the condensation trickled down.

 

“No. Hypothetical, really.”

 

“Well, don’t you think it’s something that anthropologists will jump on? Something like a total recall?”

 

“I don’t remember answering a question with another question as part of the discussion.”

 

“Of course. I was just voicing my thoughts. The possibilities,” Jungyeon looked down, finger tapping against the class before she took a swig of the alcohol, “are endless. God what it’d take to create such technology. It’d be something, something that everyone would try to get their hands on but shouldn’t.”

With a sigh the short haired girl placed the glass back down onto the table, “I’m assuming your hypothetical question isn’t so hypothetical.”

 

A gleam was in Jihyo’s eyes as she leaned forward, hands resting on her lap as she grinned, “Depends. Would you be interested?”

 

2030

 

Well they did make it. 20 houses around the world where the main company and house is stationed in Seoul, Korea. They started off slow, building within Korea and then expanding to China, the USA, and many more.

 

The girls had connections from all over the world. Governments were aware yet it is a top secret and those who wanted to request for a doll were referral only. It was tight knit.

 

The dollhouses made money off of rich clients, those who had fantasies that wished to come true, whether it be romantic or something else. Actives, also known as Dolls are given different cases depending on the parameters they’re given. Sometimes they have to assassinate a client’s enemy or help a trade by being a middle man. Regardless Jihyo and Jungyeon had created the uprising to endless possibilities.

 


 

“We found that you were the perfect candidate,” Jihyo placed down a folder, pushing it towards Mina. “Do you want some tea?”

 

“I don’t want tea,” The ballerina spat out, hands clammy as she reached out for the folder. All of the information about her from birth, to education and even ual partners were listed in there. How did they even get this? “I just want to get out of here.”

 

“You know that’s not an option. You see we at Twice understand that there’s some problems within your life, may it be the fact that you’re a target of more than a few shark loans thanks to your father’s poor decision making and the belief that you actually had the funds to pay for a world renowned ballet school. We can get rid of those problems and all we need is your time.”

 

“Time is a valuable resource.”

 

“Not for you. You need money more than anything. All we ask for is 5 years of your life and by the end of it you’ll be free to leave with enough money in your pocket to forget this company even existed.”
 

Mina’s jaw was clenched, brows furrowed and fingers digging deep into the folder as she thought hard about it.

 

“Fine,” she hissed, “Give me the goddamn pen.”

 

“I assure you that you won’t regret it. Five years will pass by in an instant.”

 

 

2033

 

“Did I fall asleep..?” Mina muttered, sitting up from her chair. Near her head rested the data storage for the imprint, as well as the required technology to add it into the blank doll. They had just done a clean reset right after finishing off her assignment.

 

“Just for a little while.” Jungyeon walked forward, donning a plaid shirt and some jeans, hands clasped around a notepad. “Do you wish to go?”

 

“I think I will.” The red headed doll muttered, shaking her head and rubbing her eyes to clear her vision. “I want to go swim in the pool.”

 

“Of course, Juliett.” The scientist smiled, albeit lopsided and awkward as she waved towards the door where the doll’s caretaker stood.

 

Mina, also known as Juliett, stood up and took slow steps towards the door, eyes lighting up in recognition when she noted who was in front of her. “Chaeyoung.”

 

A small smile was on the equally small girl, her black hair long and tied up high, matching her confident stature.

 

It’s so pleasing to look at her, Mina thought as she blinked slowly.

 

“You can always trust me.” With that Chaeyoung held out her hand, letting the doll take it so she could direct her to where she wanted to go.

 

It was always what happened to the dolls. Because they had a blank personality they were essentially kids and as such they had to be treated like such. Yet there was something different for this doll, she was much more special.

 

Not like the time when she was sent to secure the $2,000,000 stolen by a client’s best friend, then destroying an already abandoned building. No, it wasn’t that, in fact, Mina couldn’t remember that at all. It was the fact that she had fallen in love, something which had passed all parameters when it shouldn’t.

 

Dolls usually have their own communal showers, they can be in front of one another with the opposite and nothing would happen. That’s what’s supposed to happen. Yet one day Chaeyoung who was staying in the house for a while had to take a shower and lo and behold, Mina caught a sneak peek and ever since then she had been acting weird around the dwarf. She wasn’t as blank as the others thought she was. Mina was attracted to Chaeyoung.

 

When they stepped out of the laboratory it was like a different world. Although the entrance was covered with much more futuristic technology and computers, the rest was as if it was a private, expensive hotel, especially for athletes. Massages were given out, there was extensive security and a variety of things to do, like the people doing yoga in the middle of the building right now. It felt very zen in the fact that the interior itself brought peace to all of the dolls.

 

The interior design was a clear contrast with the exterior.

 

“Are you going to join me in the pool?” Mina questioned, holding on tight to Chaeyoung’s hand as if she never wanted to let her go.

 

“I can’t, Juliett. I’m sorry. I have important things to do.” Was the response. It felt cold and honestly if Chaeyoung had the chance she would get rid of such a tone. However it was in her blood to be professional and for this job she had to be as such. There have been cases of handlers 'playing' with their dolls and she’d be lying if she hadn’t thought of doing such a thing with Mina, because god damn she’s gorgeous- the most wanted dolls out of their clients- it’s just that she’d feel too guilty, too dirty to take advantage of someone who was essentially a vegetable. Besides, those handlers were killed off.

 

The older girl’s gaze reminded her of puppy love. It was too innocent.

 

“Oh. I see.” Disappointment wasn’t laced in her words, in fact it was her actions. Mina’s grip on her handler’s hand went loose, falling limp by her side as her gaze shifted from her caretaker to her fellow dolls..

 

“How about you go play with Sierra? You two are friends after all.”


“Right!” That had brought a smile to Mina’s face. Sierra, also known as Sana is another doll or friend, which she had met just a few weeks ago. They got on well enough, they take the same yoga classes as well as ride the exercise bike next to each other.

 

Sana is more of a child than Mina is. Especially since she’s a new recruit she hasn’t had as many wipes or inputs, she hasn’t had a chance to be wrecked by the corporation.

 

“Let me find Tzuyu. She’ll be hanging out with Sierra.”

 

They had walked past the doll’s living quarters, which consisted of pods hidden underneath the floorboards, holding their ‘personal’ belongings and beds.

 

It was a quick stop to see the playroom with numerous dolls about, drawing and painting on whatever paper they could get their hands on or playing with the children’s toys that they could find. In the middle was a pink haired girl dressed in a tank top and some shorts. She sat cross legged, hands clamming around her crayons rather awkwardly as she colored in between the lines of her coloring book.

 

Next to her sat a long legged woman, dressed up in a nice, clean grey suit which in all honesty didn’t match her. Nor did she match the rest of the room and it’s chaos. She had her hand over the doll’s, directing it so she didn’t go off, lest she put in too much strength and broke through the paper.

 

“No, no- Sierra!” Tzuyu gasped, taking the red crayon out of her hands. She put it back in the box within an instant, pulling out another colour which was more suitable and holding it out for the active.

 

“What did I do wrong though?” Sana asked, ignoring the outstreched hand in favor for staring at the space which once held her crayon.

 

“Nobody has red skin!”

 

“Oh.” The consonant was drawn out as Sana stared at her artwork with a blank expression. “Huh. Thank you, Chewy.”

 

“Haha, yeah.” Looking up she noted Chaeyoung and flinched, standing up as if someone had shocked her, “Hey Chaeyoung. Nice seeing you here. I hear that Jihyo is looking for me! New client, haha. Hah. Ha-” With that she ran, dashing past the shorter girl, “I’ll see you later Sierra!”

 

“Uh! Okay Chewy! Bye!” The doll raised her hand, waving without a care as her focus was still on her coloring book.

 

Chaeyoung glared at the caretaker as she passed by, making sure she could swat the younger girl’s shoulder.

As Mina was about to question her Chaeyoung turned to her, the glare erased and instead a lopsided smile was on her lips as she pushed the doll forwards towards Sana, “Come on Juliett. Sierra is here, go ask her. I’ll go now, hm?”

“O-okay.” Mina stared with wide eyes, departing from Chaeyoung as she took emotionless steps towards Sana.

 

As she ended up near her partner, who still didn’t recognise her presence, she sat down and picked up a green crayon, “Green isn’t a pretty color. It’s sad, don’t you think so?”

 

“But green is everywhere. The bonsai we cut are green,” Sana responded, looking up to Mina with the same blank look in her eyes. “Does that mean that the world is sad?”

 

“I don’t know.” With a small pout Mina put down the crayon, “I wanted to know if you want to go into the pool with me?”

 

“I haven’t swam today. Sure. I need to beat my record. I did 30 laps yesterday.”

 

“Really? Wow, that’s great. However trying each time to be better is being your best.”

 

“Then I want to be the best of the best.” Sana smiled brightly at Mina, “Isn’t this pretty?” she held up her colored drawing, an outline of cupid shooting his arrow with a variety of colours decorating his gown.

 

“It is.” Mina furrowed her brows at the sight, reaching out to take it as she took note of its color. “I thought love was meant to be pure red?”

 

“Chewy told me that humans didn’t have red skin.”

 

“Who’s Chewy?”

 

“...Nevermind. I want to go swim.”

 

“I do too.”

 

Although they did not hold hands as friends would, they made their way out of the room walking close to one another, ignoring the mess created by the other dolls and especially their own.

 

And as they made their way to the pool two specific care takers were arguing between themselves far away from their dolls.

 


 

“Chewy? Seriously? Don’t you think you’re being a little bit too personal?” Chaeyoung hissed, fingers pressing against the buttons on the coffee machine. The handlers were taking their break. It was a weapons and coffee room, found outside the main of the building where those with access could go to.

 

“Says you! I see you getting comfortable with your little ballerina.” Tzuyu bit back, hostile and annoyed that the shorter woman smacked her and had caught up to her so fast, even though she was the one with the long legs.

 

“Hey!” A glare was sent the taller girl’s way as the dwarf started to walk up to the girl, fingers hovering over her chest, “We do not speak about their pasts. You’re violating every rule! I’m a professional. I get things done.”

 

“What are you going to do, huh?” Tzuyu lowered her head enough to stare straight into Chaeyoung’s eyes. “Go to Jihyo? Complain to her that i’ve been giving my active some attention? She has better things to do. Like making sure your doll isn’t going off course. The director has been noticing her little mess ups, but says that she gets the mission done so all is good. She’s going to break soon.”

 

The shorter girl took a step back, rage building in her eyes as she stared at the girl with balled fists resting near her legs. It would be too much to release her emotions through talking, she needs to knock some sense into Sana’s handler.

 

So she pulled back and swung her fist.

 

Tzuyu saw it coming and she ducked out of the way, hands reaching up to the side of her face to deflect any other incoming attacks. As she was just about to retaliate the dwarf’s phone went off.

 

Bzzt!

 

“Seems like Mummy Jihyo wants you. Bet she has a new engagement for Juliett to go to. In fact I think it’s another one of those old buggers that can’t keep their hands off of her, I hear if they pay more they can get a discount for consecutive nights. Shame you have to follow and watch her.”

 

That was enough. Red filled her vision as she swung once more. This time Tzuyu wasn’t prepared, fist coming into contact with her nose and a satisfying crack! resounded throughout the room, then a thud as the taller girl’s backside met the ground. Chaeyoung was prepped to hit her once more, if it wasn’t for the fact that her mobile started to ring louder and louder.

 

Bzzt! Bzzt!

 

“We’re not finished. . You.” Chaeyoung growled, taking a few steps back before turning around, dashing out of the room so she wouldn’t have to greet an unhappy Jihyo.

 

That was one hell of a swing.

 

“.” Tzuyu muttered after a moment of silence, a hand covering her nose as blood started to drip out. Her vision started to blur from the tears that started to well and she swears that the little had just broken her nose.

 

Well It looks like she’d have to take a visit to see Dr. Jeon Somi.

 


 

“Glad you could come on time.” Jihyo drawled, noting the handler that stepped out of the elevator.

 

“Was caught up in some affairs.” Chaeyoung muttered as an excuse, hurrying to stand next to the leather seats that were placed near her director’s computer. Her left hand rested on her right, covering her knuckles which were red from the fight.

 

Jihyo had caught on, how couldn’t she? The camera feed played in her office. Yet she ignored it.

 

“Work related, i’m assuming. Regardless. New engagement. It’s a female client this time. You can find more details in the folder but i’ll give a quick rundown. Name’s Nayeon, CEO and founder of Once IT. She wants to spend an entire day with Juliett to play out her fantasy. You’ll be doing your usual, stay in your van and check on her vitals. Don’t interrupt them unless necessary, such as the client is trying to kill our doll, blah blah blah. I’m sure you’ve got the message, don’t you?”

 

“Yes m’am.” Chaeyoung flipped over the folder, not surprised to see that the other side was equally blank. “I’ll read up on this. Is there anything else or may I leave?”

 

“You can go. Juliett will be imprinted tomorrow morning at 8. Be ready to leave at 9 and no later.”

 

“Of course.” The handler bowed before leaving, entering the elevator and staring at the vanilla folder. Even though it contained the identity Mina was going to take on, the transaction, do’s and don’ts of the engagement and where she would have to reside, she couldn’t bear to open it up and read it’s contents. It would have to be done later.

 


 

As Chaeyoung went about her way for the rest of the day, Tzuyu and Sana were in the sauna, right next to the communal showers and one of the only places to not have cameras.

 

Sana was wrapped up in a towel, another holding up her hair and she sat against the wall. Near her was Tzuyu, kneeling in front of her and staring.

 

“Why do you have a bandage?” Sana broke the silence with a mumble, reaching out to caress her handler’s cheeks. “Are you hurt?”

 

“Got into a fight.” Tzuyu’s eyes fluttered down towards her doll’s hand, cradling it with her own as she rubbed against the fair skin. With a deep breath she smiled, ignoring the stinging pain. “Don’t worry. It doesn’t hurt that much. I have quite the pain tolerance, you know?”

 

“Oh.” The doll muttered, “Chewy shouldn’t get into fights. It’s bad.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry.” Taking Sana’s hand into her own, she raised it up to her lips and pressed kisses down onto each individual knuckle.

 

Everything will be alright if she just stays with her Sana.

 

 

The Next Day

 

Im Nayeon. 38 years old. CEO of Once IT. Lesbian. Married to a CEO of Got Seven IT. She’s not happy at all, she can’t leave the marriage she’s in lest she destroys her family and husband’s reputation so she leaves at night for one night stands with various women.

 

Is that all? Chaeyoung frowned at the document in her one hand. The other was clasped around Juliett’s wrist, now known as Moon Sunyoung.

 

The client’s fantasy wasn’t written down. It never is. It was always kept a secret between Jihyo and the client unless it was something troubling, something that involved a risk for the doll. But that did little to ease Chaeyoung’s worries, the same fear that kept on appearing whenever she had to send off her precious Juliett.

 

“I’m quite excited for this, you know? I haven’t seen my Nayeonie in person since I left for Australia 3 years ago. It was only meant to be a year for a working holiday but I fell in love with the landscape. Managed to travel around all of the coast. You should try it when you get free time.” Sunyoung could rant on forever about how ecstatic she was to see her lover of technically one day, but she didn’t know that.

 

And then her worries were gone for the time being, pushed to the furthest corner in her mind as Mina’s voice pierced through. God damn. Hopefully the car ride won’t take too long. I’m going to die at this rate. Chaeyoung thought with blatant disgust, staring at her watch as the elevator took them from underground to their car park.

 

“Yeah, good for you.” The handler replied with fake enthusiasm, eyes continuously darting from her watch to the level indicator in the elevator.

 

Ding!

 

When they reached ground level they were immediately greeted with 10 different black vans, always used for engagements. Chaeyoung was to drive the girl to her destination and she would usually leave her in the back, but with the current imprint that she was using right now she’d definitely want to sit in the front with her.

 

Maybe I should change my doll, I believe heartbreak accelerates the aging process. I’m going to get grey hairs at this rate.

 

The handler entered the driver’s side comfortably, not bothering to open the other door for her ‘partner’, instead opting for her to do it by herself.

 

“Hey,” Sunyoung pouted as she entered the van, clipping on her seat belt, “Least you could do is open the door for me, huh?”

 

“Not your Nayeonie, sorry kid.”

“Say, you don’t look older than me,” the doll commented as Chaeyoung started to pull out.

“Uhuh. Well looks can be deceiving.”

 

“So they say. I know my Nayeonie would never deceive me! But.” Sunyoung trailed off, her brows furrowed as she stared at her handler, “It feels like I can trust you, I don’t know why.”

 

“I have that type of face.”

 

Oh god. Even if her voice, personality and whole persona is different she still manages to make me jealous. I just want this over and done with.

 


 

It took them more than a few hours before they reached their destination. Two hours in Chaeyoung was ready to bash her head against the steering wheel and yet she managed to make the girl go quiet by blasting the radio. Then the rest was spent in relative quietness as the younger girl had fallen asleep, head lulled back with mouth wide open.

 

The black van stopped at the outskirts of Andong, a folk village that was quite small and dated.

 

The house that they pulled up to was quite big, its exterior was traditional much like the rest of the town. The walls were cream whilst the dark brown wooden foundation stood out. Its roof was blue and tiled.

 

However as much as the two could look it just seemed like the house kept on going forever.

 

“Australia has some of the biggest houses in the world on average but this,” Sunyoung commented, jaw dropped as she took a step forward. “Was my Nayeonie royalty back in the Joseon dynasty?”

 

“Yeah,” Chaeyoung was inclined to agree but instead took a step back, “It could be better.” The dwarf rolled her eyes and coughed into her sleeve, making her way back to the van, “Have fun with your lover.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Chaeyoung made her way back to the vehicle, slipping in and then going to the computers that rested against the walls.

 

Sunyoung took small steps, it allowed for her to take in the view and besides her hands were shaking so fast that she could have been considered the korean flash.

 

As she reached the door she held out her balled fist, the end of her lip twitching as she was just about to rap on the door-

 

Nayeon appeared right in front of her eyes, the CEO’s eyes were wide in excitement, white bunny teeth shining as she grinned. “Sunyoungie!”  


Pouncing forward she wrapped her arms around her neck, pulling the doll close and nuzzling deep into her hair. “Hah-” Nayeon took in a deep breath and sighed, her partner smelled like the sea. It reminded her of her childhood in Busan. Yet home is where the heart is, so one would say that where she was right now, her arms wrapped around her ‘lover’ was home.

 

All Sunyoung could do was return the hug. She kept quiet for a few moments, only speaking when she felt Nayeon’s grip loosening. “So what’s this? I’m sure you didn’t own anything like this the last time I saw you.”

 

“Ah- well.” Pulling back her hands moved from the lower end of her back to Mina’s shoulders. “Not even an ‘i miss you’?”


“Well I do-”

 

“I know.” With the same silly grin she moved behind the girl, pushing her into the traditional home.

 

It was empty and neat. Besides Nayeon and herself it was devoid of life, when the doll thought back on her implanted memories she could remember the guards dressed in black suits that would patrol the surrounding area. That didn’t exist here. It was perfection.

 

Vases and shelves littered the walls, holding numerous types of plants, especially lilies, to give off the sense of life and use. Paintings were hung on the walls and she could bet easily that they were worth a fortune. Though as she looks from canvas to canvas she couldn’t help but notice that none of the wall was used to be covered with photos. Where were the memories?

 

it was so close to how Sunyoung imagined her life with Nayeon would be. It was nearly there yet that didn’t cross her mind as she was brought back to the current situation. Shifting her gaze the doll stared at the CEO with agape, “I- i-”

 

“There is more.” With a hand clasped around her wrist she proceeded to give her precious Sunyoung a tour of the house.

 

Six bedrooms, one master all with their own bathrooms, a game room, large living and dining room as well as a fully furnished kitchen. By the time they finished they were situated in the master bedroom, sitting on the bed and looking out the window joined to the balcony. Despite the balcony in the way they could still see both the town and the nearby mountain.

Needless to says Mina was speechless, unable to formulate a proper response as Nayeon stared at her eagerly. Her hands were wrapped up in Nayeon’s, the older girl insisted that she needed to be attached to her at all times.

 

“I-”

 

“I?”

 

She fell silent, head hung low as she tried to think once more. Nayeon gladly gave her time, though time wasn’t on her side when it came to playing out her fantasy yet all she could think of was how it was just the two of them in their own little world.

 

“I love it,” Mina eventually muttered, grasping at Nayeon’s fingers so she could play with them. “I love this- from the house itself to you. I mean it’s just a tour but i’ve already acclimatised to this place so well. It feels like it is meant for me.”

 

“That’s because it is, silly.”

 

“Really?” Her gaze flittered up to see Nayeon’s whose eyes sparkled like the stars in the clear night sky.


“I don’t think I would have invested in something like this if it was for anyone else.”

 

They both broke out into a smile, falling back onto the bed and letting out contagious laughter that couldn’t be stopped. They were just like teenage girls. How innocent they felt as their gazes locked, fingers interlaced with each other.

 

“I love you.”

 

A short, sharp intake of breath was heard before their lips connected in a soft and simple kiss. Feelings were conveyed, the passion, love, loneliness and guilt that Nayeon felt was present in their physical conversation whilst Sunyoung? Bliss. As if the long awaited final piece to the puzzle was put in to create a beautiful work of art.

 

Yet deep down in her mind and supposed ‘soul’ there was a nagging that fought to capture her attention. The piece that was put there fitted perfectly, yet it was from the wrong collection.

 

It wasn’t finished properly and it wasn’t a beautiful piece of art.

 

But why?

 


 

Chaeyoung picked up Mina around mid afternoon the next day, claiming that it was time for her to go and have her treatment.

 

The night Sunyoung and Nayeon spent was sound. Both spent most of their time wrapped into each other’s embrace, making love and wishing for the night to never come to an end. During the times that they weren’t entangled Nayeon had spent it by treating her lover like a princess, letting her laze around whilst she ran around the house to grab whatever the woman wanted her to get.

 

Breakfast was lovely, Sunyoung had woken up to an empty bed but was greeted to the sight of Nayeon dressed in her underwear cooking up a storm. The doll didn’t even use her own utensils when she ate, the older girl insisted on doing everything.

 

It was all relayed back to Chaeyoung who although insisted she couldn’t care less, had spent a majority of her focus on listening to her active speak instead of on the road.

 

Oh and how could Sunyoung forget about their date up in the mountain. Although they weren’t that great fitness wise they hiked up, Nayeon was eager to show off the view and her homemade cooking, although Sunyoung was very aware of how good the latter was.

 

By the time they made it to the garage Chaeyoung knew more than she should have known, as well as being filled to the brim with unbridled anger and envy. Green was never a good colour on the girl. The secrets were killer to her anger, she knew Nayeon’s special techniques to pleasing her doll to the secrets of both Got7 IT and Once IT’s employees.

 

It made the caretaker internally scoff, just because the doll was to be wiped doesn’t mean that she could just run . It was unprofessional. Dolls were unpredictable.

 

When Mina reached the elevator that would take her down to the dollhouse she wasn’t accompanied by Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung stayed back, needing to report to Jihyo about the engagement. This would be one of the times where she couldn’t accompany her active to her treatment.

 

So when Mina was wiped and the woman who held the last puzzle piece wasn’t there she felt for the first time since she first started working in the dollhouse that there was something missing. So prominent that it felt like she could collapse under the pressure, and the limited amount of capacity to think still couldn’t help her figure out why.

 

“D-did I fall asleep?”

 

 

Mainly Michaeng and sides are Minayeon and Satzu. I mean, if you squint and can see it then it's there, right?

I had trouble writing this. I started watching the series with my father and we got to the second last episode before he had to leave for czech. Ah well, I got another story cooking up. Don't know how long it'll be.

I'm actually writing longer and longer one shots as I go on. Funny, huh.