Septum

Ouch my nose

~5314 words

 

He wanted to do something different, stupid...Or better, something useless, yes! Just to feel alive as recently everything had fallen into that sort of sad immobility and apathy, which only takes a crap, can loosen.

It was settled... more or less... honestly it wasn’t, but Jongin now was clinging to it for life. He wanted the Septum; he had to make the Septum!

 

He had already analyzed the pros and cons, the fact of looking like a bull, to follow too much the fashion wave and probably get stares by anyone within a radius of 5 kilometers; but on the other hand his parents had given him the green light, among all the piercings that he has always been intrigued by it was what seemed to be the "least invasive", in the sense that he wouldn’t have an iron armor in his face, like his first retainer, just to say. And then the pierced tongue, that inspire him a lot, wouldn’t do because he feared to lose the only thing that really gave him satisfaction and pleasure in life, eating.

So no, for now it was still beyond question!

The idea, as not all his friends were convinced as he was, was to get one fake to see how it could look and then do the real ... Just because he needed to feel pain, to feel life coursing inside him again. Something that alarmed him greatly, since he had never considered himself a sadistic, hated even the patches with all his heart and when he could he sneak away from dangerous situations, oral exams included. Maybe it was the stress of the university or just the stress. His general inability to manage every new situations the world put him in.

He began to look a bit everywhere, but of course, those few piercing found were so flashy that it hurt! It amazed him how anyone didn’t already thought of selling a mini-disco ball for the nose with the built-in music..!

He was tired of waiting but didn’t know how to move. The only person with whom he was set to go on a hypothetical future was Sehun, his best friend whom now, for - almost - mysterious reasons, was in dispute. Rather, not even that since them not even once get in touch through a week.

What better solution if not look elsewhere, especially knowing he has friends fond of tattoos and piercings as much as he was to his poodles.

Tao was the obvious solution.

They were practically grew up together, comrades in the old swimming pool of the country. They didn’t get to meet all too often, however they knew each other way too much. It’s still a mystery how Tao got this attached since he has said and repeated several times "you were talking too much for my taste" or "I sometimes wondered why you were still moving your mouth...".

Eventually, Tao had proven to be much more than a crabby ironing board, but a great friend and confidant, with all its ups and downs.

Growing up he had turned into the perfect incarnation of Magnus Bane*; dark-skinned, tall and lanky, with feline eyes and that vein blatantly sentimental despite the air from murderer, hidden under loads of glitter for Magnus and for Tao, under tattoos.

Then who better than him could advise Jongin, take him and in case persuade him not to do such a thing?!

 

 

 

"So what are you waiting for? Your parents have given the ok, your friends too, and you? It's not that now You’re the one who’s changing his mind?!"

Floored, as usual, and with a sense of guilt just a bit more pronounced than usual said, "No...I mean Yes...I don’t know," sighing, "Taooo, What do I do? If I'm going to do it without telling Sehun it will be as completely bury our friendship...He won’t talk to me ever again ... "

"Then tell him, no? I don’t see what the problem is... You chat from time to time anyway, aren’t you? Moreover he doesn’t have to be necessarily with you. Or you wanted to do it together?"

"Sorry?! I do NOT talk to him. It’s just that occasionally he reminds of my existence and then he writes to me ... If he really wanted to talk to me, who knows where we would be now"

Tao skepticism had never been so obvious; he had a frown so high that it seemed his left eyebrow was ready to take off.

"And yes, he wanted to come with me to get the piercing. But if I have to wait him I’ll never get it done... He made two more piercing  on each earlobes miraculously as his parents are totally adverse ... ", with the last part all slurred to himself more than said to Tao, who still haven’t opened his mouth.

At his silence Jongin then continued, "And then ... everyone says it hurts, even more harmful than doing it in places that usually don’t see the sunlight ... Amber has piercing anywhere and she said the septum was the most painful..So... how am I going to do it?!? Me, that I cannot take a decision on the second ears-piercing! "

"Aaaah so here we are! Because if it was just for Sehun it wouldn’t make sense, especially since you want to make ‘’your thing of the year’’ still not talking to him .." he said with the face of those who knows what’s what.

"So let's do this way; I have to go to the studio for a new tattoo and see a friend. You come with me and get there quietly; you talk to him, Chanyeol, and if you feel more comfortable then take an appointment! Ok?"

"Yeah yeah, okay, but let me know before because the last time I went into a place like that I look too hippie and out of place ... too uncomfortable … aaah … Too embarrassing. No one wanted to ent...” but Tao immediately interjected by saying, "But you're hippies and out of place anywhere, you're kind a strange cuddly puppy which, however, like the worse things."

He couldn’t deny it, the description was the most apt everyone could do; not that he was really proud of its inherent softness. He snorted and after a slap in the face to ward off the satisfied smile of Tao, he walked away.

"Are you leaving? Come on, don’t take it to heart, you know it too that you're cute and fluffy hahaha"

Jongin turned with the most false and shiny smile he could show off, before showing a beautiful medium and continue straight on his way. He was grateful for Tao, yes, although he was a wretched friend.

<<Come on Tao, run! Lately you're getting lazy >> Jongin thought while Tao didn’t give any sign of wanting to rise from the old bench.

 

 

 

 

They planned for Tuesday, given that in the studio usually there are fewer customers and Chanyeol, the tattoo artist friend of Tao, gets off early to manage the reception. And Tuesday was arrived and let's faces it ... and Jongin had completely forgotten.

For this reason he was dressed by chance as usual, nothing pretentious and especially nothing that would disguise with the surroundings. He felt too exposed and with Tao, that aura of purity and softness that people closest to him always are teasing about, including Tao itself, is accentuated. It was his true self, which just a few found and understood, too focused on the mere outward appearance of the person restrained and serious, if not cold, as many wanted to see.

He did not know what to expect, then he remembered that the studio was recent, but nothing more. Tao didn’t speak so much of the studio and maybe even less of his friend Chanyeol. More precisely Tao spoke only of his sweetheart, Kris, who all seemed less that the boyfriend of a rocker. It was nice and very, very, ‘clean’... even the shadow of a piercing or a mark on his skin, all shirts and cashmere sweaters. Or at least, this is what he makes himself out to be to the world. Tao had been his great escape, his great love, sealed with a kiss and a few tattoos well hidden from the eyes of bigots and petulant parents.

But back to the studio, he even remembered it was small and full of sketches on some wall, as almost every studio to show their styles; but he didn’t think SO small!

The lounge area was as big as his bedroom but was so full of things, from sketches hang on the stacks of magazines stacked here and there among the sofa, coffee table and mahogany reception desk; which seemed as big as his bath house, where they were only washing machines and a drying rack. It is still a mystery as neither he nor Tao remained standing without moving a stack of magazines or a vase of flowers.

But that was not what had really impressed him; neither the bohemian looks of the local which he had would ever match to a tattoos studio. It was the magnificent sketches on the wall behind the desk, put on display on purpose to be admired by customers when sitting on the sofa in burgundy leather. They were made by hand, one could see, or at least he saw it; colored or in black and white, most fantastic subjects, flowers and a few portraits. They were wonderful, probably the owner’ sketches. At that time, in front of those tattoos, Jongin decided that if he would ever put into practice one of those fantasies about tattoos that survived for years, he will bring his drawings to the owner of the sketches to work in 4 hands and make it a masterpiece of skin, his skin.

 

Tao, eagle eye, had noticed the incredible glazed look in Jongin’s eyes, who was so taken by the drawings he didn’t close his mouth had forgotten even the formalities, completely ignoring Tao and ... who was the one who was speaking in front of him??

Die of embarrassment, yes, was not yet possible since he was safe and sound and two pairs of eyes, one curious and amused and another surrendered to the evidence of an absurd friendship, were staring at him.

<< Smile and nod, smile and nod, much dumber than that you cannot seem >>, but no, because smiling eyes and dazzling smile had also reached out waiting for a handshake, definitely a few minutes ago. It was a slap in the head to reconnect Jongin with the world.

"Yes, yes sorry, I was just very impressed by the drawings", said Jongin caressing weakly the struck point.

"It seemed you had seen St. Peter more than the drawings. However, since I don’t think you've heard, this is Chanyeol, my friend and tattoo artist. Finally you meet uuh," said Tao satisfied.

"Nice to meet you Chanyeol, I haven’t heard so much about you just because Tao is always talking about other things, but I really admire your work on him!"

"Ahahaahah Tao speaks only of that! Poor Kris, why I’ve ever introduced you two", with a crooked and amused smile as he tried to get away from Tao slaps, who yeah, was pretty violent. "By the way thanks for the compliment, isn’t a big deal. Tao always chooses subjects on which you can work a lot; often giving me free hand. "

"I trust you and your judgment," said immediately Tao shaking lightly his head up and down a few times, "... and I don’t regret it, neither hope I to never regret it! But now, no more talk, I have work to give you and a poor soul to reassure. With what do you want to start??"

Jongin said "I'd rather see him at work, you know, see him drawing since when he’ll tattoo you, maximum I'll be sitting here waiting. I'm coming to see you only if you suffer or cry, ok?" throwing a flying kiss to Tao.

Tao, being hit where it hurts, couldn’t remain silent, "But who said that now you have a choice? You're only here as an audiences, then return to stare silently here and there, go...” and then added, “And I do not cry when I do a tattoo!"

"Ahhahaa as if you hadn’t told everyone how has gone your most painful one"

"Pf ... It was just a story, could be fake, right Channy??”

"Ahahaa I don’t say anything. Don’t put me in the middle but rather to give me some work. If I have to win him, and as he seemed so fascinated by my drawings, it’ll be faster the first we get started"

<< His drawings >>

"God knows I manage to get also a tattoo out of him over the piercing," he said, with a smile of those who would have knocked down thousands of innocent girls.

"Haha. Yes, sure, whatever. But I have to admit, those drawings are wonderful. Did you really made all of them? Did they become all real tattoos, even the most complex ones?"

"Yeah, they are all mine. Suho doesn’t like to show his and then he says to find my much more... inspiring?" said Chanyeol chuckling to himself, as if was known to all whom the hell this 'Suho' was.

"I would love to but unfortunately not, some sketches are just too pretentious for a human canvas and complicated... and also I no longer have much space to occupy," he said with a shrug and slight smile, unconsciously rubbing his hand over his chest. "Moreover I couldn’t see them properly on me, so it would be meaningless. Those are dreams on paper, because the drawer is full."**

In the mean time Jongin, for one thing or another, had gradually stopped listening, too taken observing what until now from eyes and smiling lips had become an actual wonderful guy; very tall, 10 centimeters more than him definitely, but with a body almost harmonious; apart from the funny ears sticking out from a ruffled mauve bowl. All it packaged by an intricate series of black lines, flowers, and other designs not so clear from a certain distance, on a pack of muscles mild but sculpted.

 

 

 

They spent all afternoon in a small green forest studio, basic but full of everything. Other sketches still reigned majestically among walls and desk, and when Chanyeol returned to reception to greet customers, Jongin stopped to watch them, to understand them. Tao at the time had become quite marginal, if there wasn’t Chanyeol, he was focused on his new tattoo or called Kris...again.

Needless then lend him too much attention, when...

"…Of Chanyeol? Ohi Jongin are you listening to me?!"

"Huh??" asked Jongin startled.

"Aaah why don’t you ever heed me huh?! I asked you what you think of Chanyeol ..."

"Mmmm that is a good guy ..? Draw divinely and is also nice! Why?” Jongin asked genuinely intrigued.

"No Nothing  ...just to know. You know that, if he made you a good impression then he can do the piercing to you, if you're determined...and then...” his eyes falter a bit, “bho...you know... I was thinking we could go out together sometimes. At least you go out instead of stand me up if I tell you that we are just you, me and Kris! "

"Again? Please, sorry, you know that it’s a tough time. And when you go out just the three of us, as soon as I turn you will eat your face. “Tao was looming over him so he continued, trying to fix the situation, “I know you love me and all, but that's bad you know?! Not even you don’t see often... Bah”

Turning from a struggling Tao, he ended “... Anyway, Why not, at least I'll have someone to talk to", << if I don’t die before of shame >> he thought to himself.

 

The room fell silent peacefully, with the two of them lost in thought.

He was determined to get this damned piercing? Yes? No? Maybe?!

He couldn’t follow the end of his thought that Chanyeol was already sitting in front of them with pencil in hand and sketch before. He was completing the new tattoo of Tao, the face of a cheetah to be added on the shoulder of his animal styled arm. Around Tao’s left arm was an intricate succession of animals, wedged between Celtic or geometric motifs, spots and skulls. Jongin hadn’t named it a masterpiece for nothing. The animals were so well done that it seems photographs.

He doesn’t know how yet, but in the verve of the moment he opened his mouth, and gee, maybe it was the right thing and he didn’t even know it. “Ok I’ll do it, tell me when and where and I’m going to do the septum. Yes, I’ve decided!"

3 seconds after. He was so overwhelmed by himself that he continued, "I... mm... don’t tell me where and when, I must be taken by chance ... I surely wouldn’t present myself if I know that I come to do this thing, right? No. If I take an appointment even if I don’t want to I go...yes... Come on... "

2 seconds after. He still didn’t acknowledge that he shouted the first part, totally forgetting the two guys who were right beside him, blatantly staring… again.

"Why are you staring?"

And the first to answer was Tao, "Well, look at you. You went into a monologue totally random. You contradicted and then made up your mind. Ok I know you're strange but there are strangers around you ... don’t scare them more than you should...!” statement made in a single breath with eyes that came out of their sockets in astonishment. Let's say that Tao had seen a lot but not everything of him.

"Anyway, I'm glad you decided. I'll drive you, don’t worry" he added with a lot of evil laugh.

"And you stop snickering. You're weird almost as Jongin!" He said referring to Chanyeol who laughed even louder, gaping mouth emitting the same sounds of a drunken walrus. It was a show, really. As a guy just met could have so many facets and show them all together, the harshness of a punk boy full of tattoos, the sincerity in his bright eyes and the innocent smile. Simply amazing. But Jongin wasn’t contemplating, or at least, he succeeds on convincing himself.

The afternoon ended with two appointments made; a holder, the elusive Suho, affable and happy for the new knowledge with Jongin and a smashing hug very, very excited by a tender Chanyeol.

 

 

 

In the end he happened to go alone.

At least Tao warned him a few days in advance, because obviously he had decided to celebrate his anniversary in a park, their park... at night... in December. And Tao could be everything except immune to flu, that idiot! He had fever for a week but he had refrained from saying right away, hoping it passed in time for the appointment of Jongin. He felt guilty...but not all that much, because as nurse had unbelievably his beloved Kris that felt guilty for letting Tao catch a cold. To protect what remained of his poor psyche Jongin doesn’t let Tao tell him everything they’ve done... but wallow in the obvious with those two, they can’t keep their hands for themselves when they’re close.

Fortunately he had slept well, because obviously he had forgotten, after two days of total panic, the day of the appointment. And perhaps, if it weren’t for the reminder on the phone he would be forgotten altogether. But now everything was ready and decided, save for him, and he had to go.

 

When Jongin arrived in front of the store he couldn’t find the strength to go in ... he was ripping his hand from too much anxiety, shame on him and his bad ideas. He was so lost in thought that he hadn’t realized the figure next to him when this made him scream with fright. Poor Chanyeol had arrived, had seen him, and he had reached well past front; but taken as he was from his inner turmoil he hadn’t even been aware of his existence, until a strange noise reached him.

To get noticed, Chanyeol had approached him so much to blow on his neck a ringing "Jongiiiiin" that made him jump in the air. It was the most comical scene of the day, everyone would laugh, Jongin himself too, were if it not for the principle of heart attack that didn’t seem to want to stop

Brokenly Jongin turned desperate to Chanyeol, "Oh coome oooon, why have you scared me so much!!!?! I'm sensitive," with a lovely little face that would have melted anyone.

"If you want we can do it again! I haven’t laughed so much since a lot of time. It was epic! EPIC!” and laughing Chanyeol opened the door to let him in the store.

 

Chanyeol was trying to talk to Jongin, keeping him distracted while letting him sit in the other room, the one  were << they tattoo and pierce living beings and .. >> He was degenerating again. He tried to answer, to be polite and quiet, but it was a miracle if it were coming out so much monosyllables.

"It will be so bad right?" His voice was grim and worried. He was panicking, worse as times where he decided to climb on the most dangerous carousel, because in addition to being the funniest they gave you an incomparable sense of lightness. At least those don’t really hurt you. You are afraid, you climb, screams, you have fun and go down. Finished. The end. Fine. And yet...

"It depends on you. If you think ‘it’ll hurt so badly’ you’re going to fell a great pain. If you don’t think your body will be more rational and you will only fell what is actually for you pain. Having different pain thresholds you may not feel anything just relaxing yourself because this is not what makes you more harm. I don’t know if I was clear. And especially if I have reassured you... "Chayeol said with a half smile as he pulled on blue latex gloves.

"Well, you don’t have a lot of from what I see. Do they hurt too much or you just don’t like them?"

"I do not love them as much as tattoos, and the few that I’ve done hurt, a lot. But more on the moment was the shelter from the piercing. I’m careless so I often do more harm I alone than the rest." And yes, he had a beautiful smile, he remembered him, even when he was lost in thought and seemed to want to hide something more.

 

 

 

Everything was ready, except Jongin.

"Listeen... I can’t do it; really, I'm going to have a heart attack. Even if you talk to me or I keep blabbing I don’t feel better. And I don’t feel like screaming, it's a very private thing. I scream only at rides or concerts, you know there are people, chaos, music... And no thanks I don’t want to see the tools, I've already told you, "inhaling and exhaling...maybe too quickly. He needed air.

"Distract me Chayeol!” cry out Jongin all at once, without even really noticing where was his speaker.

He didn’t have time to really understand what had happened. He was complaining, Chanyeol looked at him with a mixture of amusement and concern, and suddenly it was gone.

Then his hands were on his face and his lips on his.

His eyes were about to fall! << Thing as what? >> However...he didn’t withdraw, sincerely he wasn’t displeased at all.

In what little time he had seen Chanyeol by no means hadn’t he asked himself what was Chanyeol ual orientation, but he didn’t absolutely think of him as gay, too cool and with that aura of a great lover of the opposite . Not that he himself was... not entirely... hence... he liked everything and nothing. If he liked you, he liked you, whether the feeling had never been reciprocated is another story.

Love is varied and his heart is big. Ha was sure of this.

The kiss was chaste, sincere. Only two pairs of lips which collided, warm and soft. But as soon as Chanyeol tried to pull away, the cold on his lips and the desire to learn more pushed Jongin to reconnect their lips again, this time with a request << give me more >>. He closed his eyes, sighed on Chanyeol’s lips and put a hand around his wrist, because those hands so big and calloused were hugs for the soul, and he didn’t want them to leave anymore.

At first everything was petrified. No answer... maybe he did something that wasn’t right? But he couldn’t even get a little away that Chanyeol sobered and returned it, before kissing the corners of Jongin’s mouth, then the upper lip and then the lower one, on which he blew a little air before starting to nibble.

It was a bunch of nerves and chills. If before he was shaken now he was electric, as electric as able to brighten all Seoul.

When Chanyeol broke away it was just for another unsaid question, a << can I go further >> said with eyes so big and deep. How could he deny him anything?

Jongin was more than willing to begin a dance of sighs and parted lips. Tongues ​​those get familiar with each other, flavor of fresh mint and chocolate, with a hint of tobacco, still present on the tongue of Chayeol.

They could no longer stop, but had to move on.

Chanyeol had other appointments and Jongin had a piercing to be done and some study to be carried on.

They pulled away, saddened, embarrassed but satisfied... Rubbing noses like two happy Eskimos.

Shortly after, before speaking, Chanyeol cleared his throat, "Are you ready now? It will take a moment, I promise” and Jongin hadn’t the strength to open his mouth, then sighed, nodding deeply.

 

It took less than a minute. No, perhaps not, but Jongin was way too high to figure it out, even after the pain had made room in his brain, already confused by the kiss.

The hand of Chanyeol was leaning on his shoulder to warn him that he was finished with the septum and yes... Apart from the pounding pain in the nose he felt there was also a new presence on it.

Slowly Jongin open his eyes, and instead of seeing Chanyeol he saw his reflection in the mirror that the tattoo artist was holding out. He was a tomato, disheveled with his eyes bright with unshed tears and lips too swollen for his only bite during the operation... Well... He was real sight.

Nevertheless, the fear, the disagreement of some friends, he was not so bad, in fact, he was really cool!

A giant smile bloomed on his face. Everything was unsuccessful and he looked good too!

 

Just he met the curious look of Chanyeol in the mirror, he couldn’t help himself; "It hurts," Jongin said, with his puppy eyes in need and a sly smile that he held barely.

He wanted one thing, one thing that he liked and he wanted it now. Since the pain was as far as pounding as evil, the weight of the kiss on his lips was even stronger. He had only that on mind.

He hoped... more than the cute face itself... the tattoo artist would understand the message undisguised under the sincerity of his eyes, as well as his smile.

And, miraculously for Jongin, Chanyeol understood.

Chanyeol moved the mirror while Jongin turned his face to meet him halfway. Jongin put a hand on his cheek. Everything became infinite, eternal and meaningless. Everything was there and there was nothing, they and nothing more. The kiss was deep, sincere and beautiful. The face of Chayeol was smooth, a slight contrast with the cobwebs of lines branching off on his neck, just below the seam of the ear.

 

They separated just because Jongin’s phone had started ringing. Tao was worried but mostly curious about the fate of his late friend and his poor nose.

Timing was another problem of Tao, besides the propensity to get flu.

He had wanted to talk to both saw that there he was, that, still really embarrassed they hadn’t yet succeeded to look into each other eyes.

The call ends when Chanyeol was about to leave, all the tools arranged and ready outside those for the next sitting.

 

 

 

A slight melancholy was making headway in Jongin... He had a terrible sore nose and go home didn’t seem such a bad idea, but he couldn’t leave. Not like that. He didn’t want to greet Chanyeol, he wanted to understand. What would have happened by now?

After getting up from his chair and settled down, Jongin looked Chanyeol straight in the face, showing off his most sincere smile, a bit rickety for the pain.

Chanyeol was preparing to open the doors when Jongin said, "I get the same treatment if I come back to do anything else or it was just a treat for the first sacrifice??”

It was comical, really, and Chayeol laughed embarrassed, ruffling his now silver hair.

That little smile, half hidden by his head bowed was full of meaning, and perhaps, hopes.

"In reality it is a new service specific for the customer  ... You’ve got my number so just call and we arrange"

"Are you saying I have to REALLY find something for me to do for just a k-kiiiis ..?! Well, yeah, for a special treat I mean... "He said with his usual dummy face, only 4 shades redder than normal. Which of course made crack Chanyeol up, melting him from the tangle of embarrassment that was holding him back, "I'm just saying that if you want the treatment you always my number, not that you have to make a giant dragon tattoo just to go around the playground. Even though...if you want to tattoo a giant dragon on the whole body... "And looked Jongin from head to toes" ... I would be more than happy to settle. "

 

The conversation was now completely gone. But the message was past loud and clear. He hadn’t had to tattoo anything that Chanyeol would have wanted to see him anyway.

Jongin was so happy that his expression was illuminating the room, not that Chanyeol’s one was no less, but he had his cheekbones as raised by the smile he saw very little.

A ridiculous day, an absurd knowing and likewise peculiar conversations, and now here he was, Jongin opened his eyes to the feel of Chanyeol’s warm hand brushing against his face. In his eyes the same question, more convinced than before, << can I >>...

There wasn’t any need to answer that Jongin was already kissing with feeling, wrapping an arm around Chanyeol’s neck.

The other hand of Chanyeol that was attached to the handle of the door ajar, waiting for an embarrassed leave that would never have happened, shut the door again before wrapping Jongin in an embrace, as every distance between them disappeared.

 

 


 Author's note:

*Magnus Bane; if you don't know him.. well.. you should at least have the heart to start the 'Shadowhunters' saga, and love him as we all do.

**Dreams in the drawer; it's an italian idiom used when a person has a lot of dream still waiting to be fulfilled. And it happend to made sense also practically, since there were so many drawings.

 

If you've come this far, mistakes and shaky English aside, I love you and I thank you.