a night to remember

tell me something i don't know


 

min yoongi watches the night sky with utter fascination, his eyes capturing every detail and twinkle in view. today happens to be one of the least cloudy days in seoul, which is the reason for why there are so many stars in plain sight.
 
in fact, the news reporters announced there was to be a meteor shower tonight- something you don't really see often in life, maybe something you won't ever see without luck.
 
 
the first person he thought of bringing up his apartment rooftop was kang seulgi. he didn't know why, precisely, but instinct told him she'd like this kind of experience.
 
and it certainly seems like she is. he tilts his head left to see her observing the sky with equal sentiments. although the shower hasn't started yet, an inquisitive, content smile graces her lips. she reminds him of a child who's seeing the stars for the first time. it brings a small smile to him as well.
 
despite the time being eleven fifteen, the strong glow of the moon in the south heavens shines upon them. the darkness exists on the small rooftop of the building, but it doesn't show its presence. they're anything but alone.
 
 
after a long, companionable silence, she speaks up. "when's the shower, again?"
 
yoongi briefly peers at his wristwatch. "about eleven twenty. we only have ten minutes left."
 
"it's my first time seeing something like this," it's not hard to trace the excitement in her tone. "i've lived in seoul for all my life, so i haven't really seen stars except for those occasional bright specks," she exhales. "this, is new."
 
"i used to see stars every night in daegu," yoongi says quietly. "i didn't think much of them back there, but after coming to seoul, i realized how much they meant to me," he remembers the somehow empty feeling he had when he opened his bedroom window in the depths of night, only to face a bleak canvas of darkness. "what they say is right. you really don't know what you have until you lose it, whatever it may be."
 
the girl seems to agree. "do you ever want to visit daegu sometimes?" she asks.
 
"i don't know-" yoongi starts, but he knows he's lying not just to her, but himself. she stares at him with those almond shaped eyes of hers, waiting for a response.
 
 
"every day," he confesses.
 
 
"i would too, if i were you," seulgi says gently. "you know, if you ever get the chance to, ring me up. i'll go with you, if you don't mind. better than going alone, right?"
 
truthfully, he doesn't mind at all, and he's actually hoping she would. he chortles and nods.
 
"five minutes left, right? hey, let's play a game."
 
he raises an eyebrow. "what game?"
 
"it's called tell me something i don't know. it's basically what it's called, telling each other stuff about yourself that the other one doesn't know. the person whose turn it is when the meteor shower starts is going to grant the other person's wish. deal?"
 
he smirks. games are his speciality. "sure, i'll win."
 
"don't get too arrogant already," seulgi rolls her eyes. anyway, i'll go first. tell me something i don't know."
 
yoongi ponders on what to say. "uh, i have a cat, a turkish angora." the arch of her eyebrows is enough to prove that she didn't know.
 
"what's his name?"
 
"she, actually, and it's blanc."
 
"white," seulgi translates. she is a language major after all. 
 
"my turn. tell me something i don't know."
 
"i'm a horrible cook."
 
he gives her a surprised look. "i thought you loved cooking, then who makes your fancy lunchbox menus?"
 
"my brother, seungyoon. he's the real hidden chef in the family. got you fooled, huh?" her lips curve into a lovely smile, and the beauty of it almost makes yoongi's heart stop. "okay, now tell me something i don't know."
 
the boy opens his mouth, but soon closes it, hesitating. he's not sure about telling her his secret. he's afraid she'll laugh at him like everyone else had, although she's far too kind to do such a thing. yes, he's afraid of what she'll think of him after hearing what he speaks. it's his pride that gets in his way, every time, but around her, it unknowingly dissolves.
 
 
"i'm atelophobic," he utters. 
 
 
seulgi raises her eyebrows. yoongi assumes she's trying to figure out what it means. she blinks, and he knows she realizes what he means. fear of not being good enough, fear of imperfection.
 
a fairly long period of quietude ensues. "why are you afraid?" she finally questions.
 
he gazes at the sky once more, refusing to meet her eyes. "i don't know, honestly."
 
"there must be a cause," she persists, though not forceful.
 
"well-" he pauses. "i guess it's been everyone and myself, honestly. all the expectations and praises. everyone puts so much faith in me, i'm afraid of disappointing them or failing in everything i do," he gazes at a twinkling star above. "i feel like what i do isn't enough to be accepted as truly successful. maybe that's why i'm a workaholic." the boy chokes out a laugh.
 
seulgi is quiet for a moment. "you know, you're greater than you think you are," she says softly. "for the past year i've always seen you beating yourself down whenever you had obstacles blocking your path. it's not your fault, though. i doubt there's anyone who's been that way in times like that. but i feel like you don't understand what a unique person you are, and how special you are to others," she squeezes his hand comfortingly. "we love you for who you are. we love min yoongi the human, not min yoongi the perfect robot."
 
a warm feeling spreads inside him as he blinks. he's not sure if it's tears that are hanging on the edges of his eyelashes, but he's determined not to show them, whatever they are. instead, he squeezes her hand back.
 
a grin appears on her face. "so, can i tell you something you don't know?"
 
"sure," yoongi mumbles, still in awe.
 
"i'm afraid of a lot of things too," she says. "the dark, heights... and being alone."
 
yoongi glances at her in surprise. he never quite expected her to be someone to feel loneliness. she always seems so bright and optimistic, always there for others. but then again, when you're always the listener, it's hard to find someone who'll listen to you.
 
"i know i'm always giving people optimistic messages and stuff, but..." seulgi shrugs. "sometimes, i feel alone. i'm with people, but i don't feel like i'm really communicating with them and that makes me feel lonely. and the sentiment of loneliness really scares me," she takes in a deep breath. "and then i just start freaking out. i think, why do i try making friends or loving anyone, if i'm eventually going to be left alone? and it feels like i really have no one to talk to, and that's when i wonder, what's the point in raising your voice when nobody else hears?" the girl gives yoongi a faint smile.
 
"you're different though. i don't really feel like i'm on the edge of some kind of fragile balance when i hang out with you, and that's something i'm thankful for," she murmurs. "i'm blessed to have someone like you in my life."
 
a strange emotion clogs his throat, leaving him unable to speak. he opens his mouth, but he's not sure what words would accurately describe the sensation. instead, he musses her chestnut brown locks gently and offers her a warm smile that he hopes could convey his feelings.
 
she beams widely, and laughs. her laugh has a beautiful tinkling sound to it, and her smile resembles the starry night sky as she smiles. "so, tell me something that i don't know."
 
yoongi's not sure of anything at that moment. what he blurts is something that is completely done out his control: "i love you."
 
it takes less than a second for her to register what he means, and her eyes slowly widen. hangs slightly open as she searches for words to say. she clearly hasn't expected him to say that, and for an odd reason, he's slightly pleased with her reaction.
 
 
"oh, look-"
 
 
a beat after, the star-dotted midnight sky is graced with a falling sea of shooting stars. it's unlike anything they've ever seen- a mass of shining, blinking stars decorating the entire universe. the great number makes it seem almost unreal, as if they're watching an astrological show in a space museum. all the stars are so close, yet so far, a marvelous paradox that's actually enjoyable. the luminous shine of the objects reflects in their pupils as they stare in unconcealed awe.
 
"they're beautiful," seulgi whispers. the boy nods silently. his elaboration isn't needed.
 
"right, that reminds me," he says. "remember what you said? the person who's supposed to tell as soon as the meteor shower starts has to grant the other person's wish. it was your turn. i win."
 
she mock-glares at him. "well, fine. what's your wish?"
 
 
yoongi his head, his inscrutable countenance giving little away. "well, i'm not sure. surprise me?" a mischievous little grin appears on her face.
 
"fine, but don't say you regret it after." before he can even ask what she means, she swiftly moves forward and presses her lips on his lightly.
 
he freezes, his expression absolutely dumbstruck. his eyes blink confusedly, trying to make sense of what's going on, but a light snort soon escapes from him, remotely impressed with her boldness. he reciprocates the action, shifting to bring her closer under the stars' dazzling glow. at the same time, blissful smiles blossom on their faces. the sensation is too alluring for them to pull apart.
 
 
 
and this, is what min yoongi supposes perfection is. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
-
 
 
 
 
a/n: i warned u short short short af sorry if it was a little rushed otl
but !! it's a yoonseul oneshot done for once in a while haha 

AND I'D LIKE TO INFORM EVERYONE- i am hosting a crackship writing contest with the lovely sungcheols! if you're interested, click the banner below (which will direct you to the thread.) we're giving out real-life prizes(korean goods)! 

i'll love u even more if u enter with a btsvelvet fic c oughs