The Beginning

The Royal Ambition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

King Chalie has ruled the Joseon Dynasty for thirty years but recently, things were not looking well for him. Their army has been at war with Japan for the last five years and showed no signs of victory soon. The Mongolian Empire was expanding rapidly and King Chalie feared an attack would soon come from the west. However, his biggest concern was a problem within his own family. This was a problem that almost every King before him shared - the problem of the throne. 

He had four sons - Prince Choingjae who was the son of the Queen, Prince Junghyuk and Dongwan who were sons of the late Concubine Jeon, and Prince Chilhyun who was the son of Concubine Yoon. Traditionally, Choingjae would undoubtedly become the heir due to his mother's high status. However, Chalie didn't think Choongjae would be the ideal candidate for the throne. He was knowledgeable and kind, but extremely hot-tempered and easily influenced as well. Therefore, King Chalie wanted to wait and inspect his sons more clearly before deciding his successor. 

 

 

It was a beautiful spring day when Master Sunho, the youngest son of the Minister of Finance, entered the palace to look for his childhood friend (and crush) Prince Junghyuk. Sunho's father Minister Shin was a high rank official in the government and Sunho was the only son from his legitimate marriage with Madame Shin. On the contrary, Sunho also has a half brother named Hyesung, but because Hyesung's mother was only a mistress for the Minister, he's status cannot be compared to Sunho. Due to his father's high status, Sunho grew up with all of the four princes (but Hyesung never got the oppurtunity to meet them) and they were all childhood friends. He was the magnae, and truthfully speaking, Sunho liked all of the princes, but his favourite is undoubtedly Prince Junghyuk.

"Junghyuk hyung!" Sunho waved his hands excitedly at the older one. "Let's go out the palace and see the cheery blossom!"

Sunho's excited face was impossible to reject so Junghyuk eagerly replied, "Sure!"

Sunho grabbed the older's hands and the two proceeded out when Choongjae suddently appeared and said, "Sunho! I heard there is a fire show going on outside the palace. Let's go to watch it together! I know you love magic shows!"

Sunho did not like Choongjae to disturb the alone time he had with Junghyuk, so he bowed respectfully and replied, "I'm sorry Prince Choongjae, I will be busy today so I cannot accompany you to the show."

Hearing Sunho's formal speech made Choongjae frown when he answered, "Why are using formal speech and adding the Prince title, Sunho ya? I told you we are friends, just speak comfortably and forget about the etiquettes."
 

"That will be very disrespectful Prince. I dare not do that." Replied Sunho with an indifferent expression. "Anyways, please excuse us Prince Choongjae."

Sunho quickly grabbed Junghyuk who bowed at Prince Choongjae and followed the youngest one out. Hearing Sunho's indifferent tone made Choongjae feel utterly defeated as he lumped onto the chair and sulked. Not knowingly, the whole scene was witnessed by the Queen. She felt heartbroken and furious that her son was ignored and quickly went up to him to comfort.

"My dear what is the matter?" Asked the concerned queen while gently Choongjae's hair.

"Sunho," Choongjae replied. "He doesn't seem to like me, mother."

"Of course he likes you my dear." Answered the Queen. "You are the future heir for the throne, everybody likes you. The entire Joseon will be yours."

"But Sunho, he's not mine." Choongjae was feeling rejected.

"You can make him yours my dear." Replied the Queen while smiling, but more like smirking.

"I can make him mine? Really?" Asked Choongjae with a surprised expression.

"Of course, you are at the age for marriage and Sunho is the perfect candidate. His father is the Minister of Finance, and if we form an alliance with him, it will improve your succession for the throne. This is an excellent deal for us and them." The Queen answered.

Prince Choongjae did not care about his mother's plan for an alliance and his succesion; all he cared about was that he and Sunho could get married. 

"But what about Junghyuk hyung, mother?" Asked a concerned Choongjae. "Sunho seems to like him more than me."

"Huh Junghyuk? That low scumbag?" The queen smirked. "He's mother is a dead concubine, but your mother is the queen. How could anybody dare to compare him to you?"

The queen put her hands on Choongjae's shoulders and looked him into the eyes with determination. "You're the heir, the future King of Joseon. This entire dynasty will be yours. If anybody dares to go against you, you destroy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter