Late Night Thoughts (1/1)

Late Night Thoughts

It was late; the sun had set long ago and the entire street was silent. The only sound to be heard at this time was the occasional car zooming past, their lights casting strange shadows in Jungkook's windows. It was nights like this when he found himself unable to sleep, too many thoughts tangling together in his head.

He thought of his mother, the sweetest woman he knew, and how she'd been hiding behind her shy smile for years and trying as hard as she could to do everything she could for what was left of her family. And now, after she'd passed, how everything she'd done for him had become painfully clear, so much so that he had stayed up late for weeks, everyday thanking her for working so hard for him to live comfortably at this point. She had given up a valuable part of her life when his brother was born, never pursuing her acting career, instead opting to work at a small clothing factory in town to make enough money to raise Hoseok and himself at that time. She gave up her time and money in order for them to pursue their own interests and work towards their own goals in life, never complaining or even mentioning it. She was always proud of them and Jungkook wished he could tell her how proud her was of her, too. He missed his mother.

He thought of Hoseok, who was once the happiest, most joyful person he had ever met, and how he had became distant ever since the dreadful news had been given to him a year ago. Sure, Jungkook thought, he was still as fun as ever when he was around his friends; he laughed and made stupid puns and told pick-up lines bad enough to make Taehyung cry from laughter. But sometimes, when everyone was gone and he didn't see Jungkook there with him, he'd get this look in his eyes, this glazed over look that made him look small and empty. Sometimes he'd cry. It tore Jungkook apart inside. He let him mourn because their was really nothing he could do until suddenly someone came and swept him out of his dismal state; a girl with a dazzling smile and the sweetest voice and the kindest personality. She was perfect for Hoseok in every way. Soon, they went their own way, moving to Seoul in order for Hoseok to live his lifelong dream of becoming a dancer. He had finally made it. Jungkook was proud of him even if he did only get to see him on holidays and almost never for more than a few hours. He was proud, and even so, he missed his brother.

He thought of Namjoon and Seokjin, who had done alright for the past five years and how recently every interaction between the formerly sickeningly-sweet couple seemed to be tinged with a bitterness that Jungkook didn't attribute to the two until it never left. Their gazes never lingered on each other and they didn't say a word to one another if the didn't have to. Jungkook remembered the times when he'd stay over to watch a movie and end up watching them instead, marveling at every sweet glance the other would send when the other wasn't looking and how they'd look so content just being near each other, as if that's all they really wanted in life. He wished they could go back to those times, because they used to be so happy. Now both seemed to be in a state of bleakness, never telling exactly what was on their mind because he knew that they had to be thinking of each other, even just the tiniest bit. It kind of tore their friend group apart when they started fighting, about what, Jungkook still didn't know. Jungkook supposed they just drifted apart, but he never knew exactly what happened between them and he never really wanted to ask, because the pained look they get in their eyes whenever the other is mentioned is enough to tell him that they don't want to talk about it. He could respect that. He missed his hyungs.

He thought of Jimin and Yoongi, a couple he had doubted from its beginning. He had always known that Jimin had liked Yoongi, could tell from the smile on his face when he talked about him and the way his eyes twinkled like they did when he was talking about dancing or something he was equally passionate about. He hadn't considered the fact that the older might've felt the same until the day that Jimin had run up to him and breathlessly explained that him and his ultimate crush were to go on a date that night. They were cute, he supposed, but he never thought it would last long. After the first fight they'd had, about three months into their relationship, Jimin had come to Jungkook for comfort. He'd cried so hard that he'd thrown up, sobbing into the toilet rather that Jungkook's sweatshirt after that. Jungkook wasn't exactly on good terms with Yoongi after that, not until he showed up at Jungkook's door with the biggest bouquet of flowers he's ever seen, begging to see Jimin and apologize. Jungkook had never seen anything that had made him cry due to just pure emotion until he saw Yoongi kiss every part of Jimin's tear-streaked face, explaining that he couldn't possibly live with himself knowing that he'd made Jimin cry, made him hurt. He begged for forgiveness, and Jimin delivered. They had both moved to Daegu to be closer to Yoongi's family, who were far more supportive of their choices than Jimin's, unfortunately. Jungkook's glad that they had worked out. Even so, he missed them.

He thought of Taehyung and how he seemed to be the only one left for him. He still laughed and teased Jungkook like he used too, mostly disregarding the hyungs' tense atmosphere and engaging with the two separately as to never cause more discomfort between the two,nor between them and himself. He called Yoongi and Jimin when he could and he always relayed messages for Jungkook when he couldn't join them. He often stayed over at Jungkook's house and helped with whatever he could; cleaning, cooking, cheering both him and Hoseok up with his contagious laugh and smile. Taehyung kept his smile, and thank God for that, because without it, Jungkook didn't know what he'd do with himself. His smile was perfect and sometimes he just wanted to kiss it right off of his face. He tried it once actually, and Taehyung's lips are as sweet as he always imagined they'd be, maybe even sweeter. Soon after that, Taehyung had moved in with them, became even more permanent a fixture in their lives. And, even sooner after that, Hoseok had moved out, moving in with his new girlfriend, the only person in a while that Jungkook had seen make him so happy. Taehyung was happy for them and instead of taking Hoseok's room as his own, he opted to stay with Jungkook. He was the last thing Jungkook saw at night and the first thing he saw in the morning. He loved Taehyung and, thankfully, he didn't have to miss him.

Another car zoomed past his window, illuminating his room well enough for him to see Taehyung's sleeping face. He smiled unconsciously at the sight and moved a hand to brush his hair out of his face. His smile grew wider as Taehyung stirred, his eyes fluttering open and immediately landing on Jungkook, a sleepy grin spreading across his face. He hooked an arm over Jungkook's waist, pulling them closer together, and pecked his cheek before nuzzling his face into Jungkook's chest.

"Go to sleep, you weirdo," He mumbled, his breath fanning over Jungkook's bare torso, "I love you."

Jungkook felt his heart surge in his chest and he leaned down to plant a kiss atop his head. He wrapped his arms around Taehyung and sank down into the mattress.

"I love you, too."

He was glad that he had someone left, someone he was sure would never go.