1. Dream Doctor

The Butterfly Effect

「butterfly」

ᏴᏌᎢᎢᎬᎡFᏞᏆᎬᏚ.

I was never really fond of them. They were disgusting. I was actually afraid of butterflies, I was afraid that they'd try and land on me.

Then, why is it, that in this dream, I wanted the butterfly to come to me?

The familiar settings of the dream was reassuring to me. Everything about it. The vast emptiness, the painted red sky and that butterfly.

I wanted to stay in this dream forever. But that person always forbade me.

"Don't."

I wanted to reply, to ask questions. However, I could never bring myself to. In this world that only occurred in my dreams. Words were irrelevant.

"Don't chase the butterfly."

Suddenly, the image began to mutate.

This world was collapsing.

I awoke with a start, the fine silvery ribbons of the dream escaping my thoughts.

The dream had eluded me once again.

I sighed and slowly made my way out of bed, I walked - barefoot - to the bathroom, turning on the faucet and splashing my face with water.

I glanced up to my mirror and saw someone unfamiliar looking back at me.

Since when did I become such a mess?

My eye bags were deep and my face was pale, the straight ebony hair that everyone had envied so much was now in a tangle.

I didn't understand how being away from someone you love could affect you like this - but I did.

I had been seeing a therapist ever since Jungkook went into coma. The sessions are hard, but I know that it helps me in some way.

My therapist; Dr. Kelin, handed me a flier when I told her about my dreams. The flier was about a 'dream doctor', I didn't know those existed and I was a bit skeptical.

But she spoke high praise of him, so I was convinced it would help me.

I headed to the 'dream clinic', the automatic doors opened before me and I immediately was hit by the chilling air-conditioning and the smell of chamomile.

Before I could even walk up to the reception, I heard a cheery voice call out, "Welcome to Dream Clinic, where dreams do come true! My name is Summer, how can I help you?"

The receptionist looked young - maybe in her teens, perhaps she was doing volunteer work? In any case, I didn't feel any better with having to talk to a teenager, "Summer..." I mused, "Kind of ironic, really."

Summer nodded as if she knew what I was talking about, "Do you have an appointment, ma'am?"

"No, I was hoping to book on the spot, I have a letter from Dr. Kelin." I handed her the folded piece of paper.

She glanced at it for a mere second, "Terrific! We will be with you shortly, please take a seat!"

The clinic was empty. It seemed that the chairs were once a colourful array of colours but were now faded delusions of a past.

I sat down on one of the plastic chairs which creaked uncomfortably and decided to watch the television that was in front of me.

It was on the loony channel that Jungkook always joked about...

Jungkook... She shook her head, Don't think about him!

She forced herself to watch the channel, it was talking about the horoscopes of today.

"Today's horoscope is Virgo!" The lady announced. "You'll have many blessings come your way! Your lucky item is, this toy butterfly!"

Huh... I thought, Jungkook's a Virgo.

"Miss Sohn Yunhee?" A polite looking gentleman called out,

"Uh, yes." I said, standing up,

He beamed at me, "Please follow me."

I followed him through the hall, "Um, excuse me, are you my doctor?"

He looked genuinely surprised, "Me?" Then he laughed shortly, "No, our actual Doctor is crazy, so good luck with him."

"Great..." I said, grimacing.

He lead me to a room with a couch and a box of Kleenex tissues, just like my therapist's room.

I never thought of those box of tissues as comforting, it was just a reminder to stop myself from crying.

"Please sit down, the doctor will be with you shortly." The gentleman said before walking out.

I sat on the couch and began to fiddle with the fabric.

"Good morning, fellow dreamer!"

I jumped out of surprise and looked up at the figure in shock and disturbance.

"I'm Dr. Jung Hoseok and I'll be your Dream Doctor!" He said enthusiastically, then he made a suggestive face, "Well, not your Dream Doctor but a Dream Doctor!"

I crinkled my brows in suspicion, "Aren't you too young?"

"What're you talking about?" He said blankly, "I'm your age."

"My point exactly..." I grumbled.

Then he plopped himself on his office chair and spun himself around, "So, tell me your dreams, young Padawan."

I began to pick up my bag, "Okay, you know what, maybe this was a bad idea-"

He clutched onto my bag, "No, I think it's best if you stay."

I tugged my bag violently, "I - am - going - to - leave!" With the last word, I yanked my bag out of his hands.

Then he blocked the doorway, "I'm sorry, Ma'am, if I've offended you in some way, but I'm just really excited about Dreams! Please tell me about yours!"

We stared each other down - the silence was insufferable. Until, I sighed, "Fine. It'd be good to vent my feelings out anyway."

He gave me the biggest smile I've ever seen on a person, "Great! Please sit down."

I sat myself down reluctantly, still holding onto my bag tightly.

"Alright, first thing's first." He said, getting his clipboard and pen, "What's your Star Sign?"

I raised a brow, "Why is this essential to dreams?"

He looked up from his clipboard and pointed the pen towards me, "I'm the Dream Doctor, not you."

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest, "I'm a Leo."

"Ah, self-arrogant?"

I glared at him and he quickly looked down to his clipboard and began writing furiously.

"So, tell me about your dream." Dr. Jung Hoseok mumbled, ripping off the paper and setting it on his desk.

"Well, you see," I started, "In my dream, there's a vast grassy field-" He began sketching which annoyed me, "-And the sun is low in the sky, I'm not sure whether it's dusk or dawn, but it's probably dusk - what are you doing?" I asked when he stuck out his tongue and began colouring.

"I envision dreams better when I draw them, please continue."

I frowned, "And suddenly, I'm in the middle of the field, I'm just standing. But... It's like I'm looking at myself-"

"Third-person view?" He interrupted.

But I was too incensed to care, "Yes, yes, that's right." I babbled, "I'm always looking at my back and suddenly a butterfly is in front of me and I try to catch it - which is ridiculous since I have a phobia of them. Anyways - the butterfly would flutter away and I'd try to follow it, but something or someone always stops me."

"How?" Dr. Jung Hoseok looked genuinely interested.

"They say, 'Don't.' And for some reason, I obey them."

Then, he frowned and began mumbling to himself, "Very interesting... Peculiar, but interesting..." Suddenly, he showed me his clipboard, where a scene of my dream was drawn on, "Is this what your dream looks like?"

I blinked in surprise, "Yes! How did you do that?" I may have underestimated him.

He didn't reply to my question, he just shook his head and kept repeating; "This is bad... This is bad..."

His uneasiness was making me nervous, "What's bad?"

Then he wheeled himself over to the telephone via his office chair and dialed a number, "Namjoon, I need you here- no, no I'm not just calling you for pizza, I have a problem with one of my clients." Then he hung up.

"Who's Namjoon?" I asked curiously.

"A pizza man." He replied simply, gathering all his files.

I frowned, "No, be serious."

He turned to look at me, "I am being serious, he's a Pizza Man and he's my friend."

Why call a pizza man? I thought quizzically.

Suddenly, Dr. Jung Hoseok's pager buzzed, he picked up his phone, "Summer? Yes, bring him in. No, I'm not ordering pizza on the job, alright, bye... Yes, I love you too but we're at work, okay, bye."

That was surprising. The receptionist and the doctor were having a relationship. Was that healthy for their job? No. But was it cute? Definitely.

Suddenly, a very menacing-looking man entered the room, I glanced at him warily. I don't know why I immediately classified him as 'dangerous', maybe because of the shape of his eyes or the permanent scowl on his face or maybe the unlit cigarette in between his lips.

At first I was thinking he was a hardcore 'The Fault in Our Stars' fan, and didn't actually smoke, "Do you like 'TFIOS'?" I blurted out.

His sharp eyes pierced through me, then he scoffed, "I don't even know what a ing metaphor is..." He said under his breath, "'You put the thing that does the killing in between your lips', pfft, my ." Then he took out his lighter and lit his cigarette.

At once, the room was filled with smoke.

Dr. Jung Hoseok was desperately trying to fan the smoke out, "Namjoon, how many times have I told you? Please don't smoke in my clinic!"

Namjoon didn't listen, "So? What's so important that I had to take my break early?"

"The Butterfly Effect." Dr. Jung Hoseok said softly, as if it were no more than a whisper.

Namjoon stood there for a while, staring at the Doctor, the of the cigarette burning fast. Then he extinguished his cigarette and threw it in the bin, "What about it?"

Dr. Jung Hoseok jerked his head towards me, "She's experiencing it for some reason."

Namjoon's sharp eyes glanced at me once again, but his eyes seemed to soften, "You lost someone special to you?"

"Coma." Was all I said.

Namjoon nodded, "I lost my sister, I experienced the Butterfly Effect for some time." He turned to look out the window, "Don't follow that butterfly,"

I frowned, "Why not?"

Namjoon breathed onto the window, his breath fogging up the glass, then he wrote the word, 'same', then finally, he said,

"You'll get spirited away."

 ]

 

wow, i kinda forgot i have an asianfanfics account - which is strange.

Anywaaaaays, I hope people enjoy (I HOPE)