By My Side

With You (같이)

Word count: 1004

 

Naeun remembers the first day she joined as a trainee. There where a lot of groups pre-set already and Naeun was introduced to each one. It was a survival from the get go. The dance practice was difficult. The moves just didn't get stuck in her head so she made many mistakes and got scolded a lot.

 

There was one trainee that stood out. A cute girl with long black hair who fluently learned and mastered the dance moves. During vocal practice the same trainee stood out again. 

 

Naeun later learned that the trainee's name was Chorong. Park Chorong. And she had third dan in Hapkido. Chorong told naeun that she was basically dragged into training it because her father owned a dojo. But she didn't complain about it anymore. it's a useful skill sometimes. 

 

Chorong.was very friendly and motherly. She took Naeun under her wing and showed her the ropes. Luckily when the company wanted to debut a girl group they got grouped Together. Chorong was picked as leader she was the oldest member so it made sense. Chorong was also the most well-rounded and motherly. Though Eunji another trainee they got grouped with came close second.

 

***

 

Chorong wasn't a woman of many words. Not always anyway. Some days she seemed very quiet and other she seemed strangely outgoing, she always made sure to take care of her members regardless. Helping them learn and come together as a team. Chorong was the right kind of leader, the one that lead by good example and always putting in countless hours of effort. She did it for her members sake, for their group's sake. For Naeun's sake.

 

***

 

Chorong was a great cook Naeun later found out. Chorong liked to cook for her groupmates and it was like a reward when they had worked extra hard or achieved something. Naeun liked it. Home cooked food always tasted best. Almost as good as her mothers cooking if not better. 

 

***

 

Days turned to years and before Naeun knew it they had debuted, recorded their debut album, filmed their debut mv and performed their debut stage. They were all overjoyed. All their effort, sweat and tears had finally paid of. And Naeun was thankful to Chorong who always made extra space in her bed when one of the member's had trouble sleeping and who always lent a ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on. No matter what. Chorong was always there for them. Even if they had fought mere minutes before. Chorong always, always took care of her members. Like a sister took care of her siblings. Like a mother took care of her child. Like a leader took care of her members. 

 

***

 

Feelings developed between members, sometimes jealousy, and anger. Other times happiness and friendship. It was natural after all. You can't expect to spend 24 hours a day together with someone and not develop feelings for them. Bad or good. They always seemed to pull through no matter what they felt anyhow. 

 

Naeun started to feel different about Chorong however. At first she thought it was only admiration. But she quickly realized that it was so much more to it. She had fallen in love with her group's leader. Her room-mate. 

 

Chorong didn't seem to notice so Naeun slowly distanced herself, you can't be in love with someone you don't see she thought. She made sure so that their schedules never matched. Never overlapped. If Chorong was in a room Naeun was in another. It worked in the beginning but after a while the group needed to film group activities. Promotions and variety show appearances. 

 

In a game Naeun was selected as game king and she was to choose a punishment for Chorong who had miserably lost. "Kiss all the members on the cheek and say you love them" If it would have been on only Naeun herself it would have been too obvious. 

 

Chorong pretended to be annoyed by the request despite the leader always kissing her members good night and good morning. For show of course she couldn't show how much she cared of her members. The show biz was a competition even within the team the netizens and some fans seemed to believe. Chorong did as told but she acted as if though she was repulsed. When she kissed Naeun she winked slightly, barely. Like a twitch but Naeun caught it. And she knew that Chorong now knew of her feelings. 

 

***

 

Back at their dorm Chorong and Naeun sat down to talk at Chorong''s request. "I noticed you've been avoiding me" Chorong started she tried to not sound hurt but it was obvious she was. Naeun lowered her head ashamed of the hurt she inflicted on her member. "It's not what you think..." Naeun tried to defend herself. "Really?" Chorong sounded surprised but Naeun couldn't tell if it was bad or good. Chorong grabbed one of Naeun's hands and held it in between her own. "Even though you've been avoiding me. Even though I tried to push these thoughts and feelings to the back of my head..." Chorong began, her grip on Naeun's hand tightening. seemingly desperate like a silent pleading. "I can't for the life of me get you out of me head Son Naeun" Chorong confessed and Naeun didn't know if she should laugh of cry from happiness. 

 

"Chorong ah" Naeun muttered with tear filled eyes."I really... really like you..." Naeun didn't know how she would be able to express herself. Chorong, Apink's silent leader Chorong had expressed her thoughts in such depth that Naeun didn't know from which end to begin. "I can only say I love you" Naeun spoke timidly her cheeks and ears heating up from embarrassment. 

 

"And I can only say I love you" Chorong responded before slowly leaning forwards connecting their lips in a soft caressing of lips. Naeun closed her eyes and felt as though everything seemed possible as long as Chorong was by her side.