Waking Up Beside You

Bed, Bath and Beyond My Heart

Jongin unwrapped the red scarf from around his neck as he glided through the electronic slide doors of his neighborhood Bed, Bath and Beyond. He sighed as he took in the enormous size of the shop, dazed by the various displays of fancy gadgets and gizmos. Remember why you're here Jongin, he thought to himself.  As cool as it looks, you don't need a Ninjablender.

Drawing himself away from the flashy signs proclaiming Christmas Sale Extravaganza, Jongin continued his trek through the shop to find a Christmas gift for his sister. He had already gotten the rest of his family's presents- a necklace for his lovely mother, a nice watch for his dad, and an adorable stuffed animal for his dear niece. All he needed to get now was something for his older sister. Recently he'd been really busy studying for finals and working his part time at the grocery shop in town that he hadn't been able to set apart the time to get her something.

He spent about 10 minutes just wandering, looking at numerous items, but not really liking anything. His sister had just bought a new house and he wanted to get something for it. Kitchen appliances seemed too burdensome, and there was no way he could afford something like a TV. The tired college student was just about to give up and go to a different store when he saw a bed set on display that looked perfect for his sister. Clean and simple but not too boring with its sleek black and white design; it was perfect.

It also looked really comfortable. Jongin ran his hand through his dark brown locks, contemplating an idea as he glanced at his clock. The flashing green lights displayed 9:00. Perfect, he had plenty of time to waste. He peered his head around the store to see if any attendants were around. The coast was clear. Well I guess it wouldn't hurt if I lay down for a second. If anyone asks, I'll just say I was testing the merchandise.

Jongin discreetly slipped off his sneakers, setting them gently by the display. He slowly crawled under the covers of the bed, not before checking his surroundings once more. Man, these sheets sure are cozy. Maybe just a couple minutes of sleep would be fine. I deserve it after finals' week anyway. The last thing Jongin remembers before slipping into a deep sleep was how comfy the sheets were and a feeling of warmth surrounding him.


Kyungsoo's week had been what you would expect for an employee at a retailer during the holidays: Hell. He'd seen everything that week- from ranting customers to lost children. All he really wanted to do was go home, peel off his horrid blue work uniform, take a nice relaxing bath and forget the world for a couple of hours. Closing time was only 10 minutes away, after closing down the store he could bask in the gloriousness of the sanctuary his apartment offered him.

The twenty year old was walking around the store checking to see if anything was out of place. To his delight there were no customers left. Maybe I can get Sehun to close and leave early. It’s not like he hasn’t done the same for his young, bratty co-worker before. As he rounded the corner to the homeware section he saw a dreadful sight. A man lay sleeping on a bed display, sprawled out like he owned the place. Ugh not a sleeper again. Kyungsoo sighed the only thing standing between him and his well-deserved rest was the tuft of chocolate brown hair sticking out from under the sheets.

He slowly trudged over to snoring lump and tried lightly tapping it. "Excuse me sir, the store is closing in ten minutes." He tried a couple more light taps, but the man really would not wake up. Tsk- the nerve of some people. Even though his frustrations were at a record high, Kyungsoo knew better than being rude to a customer. Rule #1 of retail: the customer is always right (even if they're an idiot.) The black-haired man decided to shake the man with a little more gusto and leaned over to his ear, "Excuse me sir, you cannot sleep here. The store is about to close!"

The other man began to stir, "What?" He asked rolling over to reveal his face and messy brown hair sticking in different directions. Kyungsoo had to admit the man was attractive, his plump lips and tan skin being very pleasing to the eye. I wish I was that attractive when I woke up. The attractive stranger blinked and a dazed expression covered his face.  Kyungsoo would have thought it was adorable if he wasn't already frustrated.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but you can't sleep here. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Kyungsoo said with a slight smile. The sleepy guy seemed really endearing; he had the expression of a lost puppy on his face with pouty lips and everything. The angry employee slowly felt his frustrations falling.

"W-what? Where am I?" he slowly groaned out while looking around. A sharp breath slipped from his mouth once his eyes landed on Kyungsoo. The boy's dark raven hair and big brown doe eyes took over Jongin’s vision. This man was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Even if he had that awful blue polo on; Jongin was sure this guy would look good in anything. "Am I dead? Is this heaven?"

"What?"

"You're the most beautiful angel ever. The stories don’t do you justice. Although I didn't expect tacky blue polos in heaven's dress code." Jongin said with a sloppy smile, still obviously not fully awake. He reached out and the said polo, not knowing his actions were giving the “angel” a heart attack. Kyungsoo's cheeks turned a bright shade of pink as he squeaked awkwardly.

"Umm, hate to break it to you, but this isn't heaven. This is Bed, Bath and Beyond."

The other man’s words seemed to register in the Jongin's mind as he bolted up and out of the bed sputtering, "Oh my gosh. I-I'm so sorry! I was just uh testing out the merchandise, yeah testing it out.  I promise I'm going to buy this. I really didn't mean to fall asleep! Oh my god, and I just said you were angel; what the heck. Not that you don't look like an angel but-"

"Calm down.," Kyungsoo said with a joking smile, "It's not that big of a deal. This happens more often than you'd think. Sleeping on beds isn't the worse thing people have done in this store. Trust me."

Jongin's cheeks flared up at the implications of Kyungsoo's words, "Still, I'm so sorry-" he paused to look at the name tag on the man’s chest, "Kyungsoo- there must be something I can do."

"Trust me; it's fine. Let's just go check you out." He smiled a bright smile, his pink lips twisted into a gentle heart shape. God he's gorgeous

"Ch-check me out?"

"Your purchase. Check out your purchase," Kyungsoo's cheeks warmed, "You said you were going to buy the bed set, right?"

"Oh oh yeah, of course the bed set," Jongin started backing away to go grab one from the shelves, "Let me just go-"

"Watch out!" Kyungsoo tried to warn, but it was already too late. Jongin's long legs had tripped over a lone pillow on the floor, and he face-planted into a display of toasters.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" Kyungsoo sprinted over, helping Jongin off the floor. It seemed as if this guy was kind of a walking mess, but in an endearing sort of way.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm really sorry you have to clean this all up now."

"No it's fine. This isn't even my job. Let me page someone." As Kyungsoo got up to find another employee, Jongin was having a mental breakdown. I'm such a mess. I probably ruined this really cute guy's day. There has to be a way to make this up.

Kyungsoo walked back over a few seconds later and picked a box containing the mischievous bed set that started this whole catastrophe, "Alright. Sehun is coming over to clean this up. Let's get you this bed set because the store should be closing," he paused to look at his watch. "Ten minutes ago."


As Kyungsoo was ringing up his purchase, Jongin decided he had to apologise somehow. His parents didn't raise him to be a jerk after all. Kyungsoo had just been so sweet and understanding of the clutz that Jongin is, he even stayed late to help him check out his purchases. Jongin just had to something in return for the short man. He was about to speak when Kyungsoo beat him to it.

"So, um” he awkwardly coughed,  “i-is this bedspread for someone special. Like a girlfriend or-"

"No!" Jongin blurted rather too quickly. "N-no girlfriend here. Never a girlfriend. Super into guys. Really into guys." He internally face palmed. What the hell was that? Super into guys? Smooth, Jongin, smooth. Really know how to win them over.

Kyungsoo laughed a laugh that gave Jongin's stomach butterflies. "Alrighty then. Good to know...."

"Jongin. My name's Jongin." He stuck out his hand and rejoiced internally at the warmth of Kyungsoo's palm on his. Good to know? What does that mean? Is he gay too? If so then maybe…  It was if a lightbulb switched on in Jongin's head. He knew how he should repay Kyungsoo.  It was a risky question, he didn’t even know if the other was gay, but totally worth it. "Hey, um Kyungsoo?"

"Yes?" He handed Jongin his purchase after ringing up the price with a look of genuine interest.

"I know you said it was alright, but let me take you out to dinner as repayment for the mess I caused. I mean, if that's alright with you?" He flashed a billion dollar smile that he was sure made him look overeager, but at this point, Jongin didn't care. He just wanted to get to know Kyungsoo better.

"Hmmm," the said blackhead tapped his chin and tilted his head in thought, "I guess I can accept that offer. As long as you get out of the store now so I can go home." He flashed a sly grin, and Jongin swore he out for a second from the sheer radiance of Kyungsoo’s heart shaped smile.

"Yeah, of course! Totally leaving now." He started backing away before he could embarrass himself any further. Like that was possible.

"Wait, Jongin! I need your number." Kyungsoo whipped out his phone from his pants pocket. "You know, for the date."

Jongin's heart leaped at the word 'date', and he was sure his face was as red as a tomato, but again- he didn't care. Kyungsoo was doing things to him. He was acting like a twelve year old love sick girl, not the twenty year old college student he was. Jongin had never exchanged phone numbers so quickly with someone; he hoped he didn't seem too desperate to Kyungsoo. If the other boy had  thought so, he didn't say. He just smiled and waved goodbye to Jongin, making him promise to message him soon and "to not knock over any other toasters!" With a chuckle, Jongin walked to his car. He felt accomplished; he had gotten his sister a perfect present, and met an even more perfect guy.


Kyungsoo's smile was the biggest it's been since the holiday season started. What had started out as a bleak, dreadful work day had blossomed into meetig a nice (and clumsy) guy. The worker couldn’t wait until Jongin messaged him later.

                Kyungsoo locked up the cash register and walked to the employee lounge to clock out of work. He was pondering what type of date Jongin would take him out on when he wanderd into the lounge.  A honey blonde boy was putting his coat on about to leave, when he saw Kyungsoo and gave him a Chesire cat grin.

"I saw you out there, Soo," the boy laughed while fist pumping. "Get it hyung."

"Oh shut up, Sehun!" Kyungsoo screeched. His cheeks were flaming with embarrassment and frustration but he kind of was glad the other boy thought he had done a good job flirting. Sehun had tried numerous times to set up his “hyung” on several occasions, and Kyungsoo was really tired of hearing how he needed to “stop being so uptight and have a good bang with someone.”

                As he and Sehun walked to the front of the store to exit he turned and looked at the other. “I wouldn’t be laughing so hard if I were you. You’re the one that’s gonna have to cover my shift when I go out on a date.” With a wink Kyungsoo happily left the store leaving a complaining Sehun running after him. Maybe working during the holidays isn’t so bad after all.