Roommates

Everlasting

Soojung leaned back on her chair and stretched out her arms. "Minhyuk-ah, are you all packed?" She asked, a little bit agitatedly as she looked at the boy scanning his full, organized wardrobe. 

Minhyuk turned towards the impatient girl and pouted. "I just have a hard time deciding what clothes to bring. Jung Soojung, help me!" He exclaimed as he fell backwards, plopping himself onto his fluffy bed. 

Soojung scoffed and narrowed her eyes at his lying figure. "I mean it took me less than half an hour to fully pack three suitcases with all my clothes and girl necessities. And what? It's taking you almost two freakin' hours because you have trouble picking out your clothes? What are you? A girl?" Soojung irritatingly said, while teasing him at the same time. 

Kang Minhyuk pouted once again, and sat up on his bed. He stuck out his tongue at her and then proceeded to take a few clothes off of the hangers to throw at Soojung. "There!"

Soojung caught a handful of his tee shirts and glared at Minhyuk. "Yah! I'm not your suitcase! Pack it yourself!" She yelled as she smiled. 

Minhyuk's pouts were never ending. "Tch. Jung Soojung is so stingy..." He grumbled, folding his arms.

Soojung tilted her head and bit her lips in thought. "Well...if you'll take me out to heat hanwoo (korean beef), then I'll be gladly to help." She offered with a big, mischievious smile. 

Minhyuk chuckled and responded with, "Okay, deal." 

These two have been friends ever since middle school. A certain incident led them to become friends. Ever since then, they've pretty much become inseperable. But since they now have to attend college, their schedules will be different. Unlike in high school where they spent the entire day in the same classroom together, they both now have different majors therefore they won't be able to see each other that often. But even so, they intend to still meet up in their free time. Why? Because they're best friends, and best friends can't live without each other.


Soojung entered her dorm and became fascinated at how cute and cozy it looked. It may have not been roomy, but it definitely gave out a friendly atmosphere. Well...at least the room did. She noticed a short yet petite girl with long brown locks sitting on window sill next to the bed which her stuff was set upon. Apparently she had taken the better bed that was next to the window. The girl payed no attention to Soojung - she hasn't even look up from her phone. which she had been using minutes before Soojung had even arrived.

Soojung carefully set her stuff next to a vacant bed before she cautiously proceeded to greet her roommate. "Hello! I'm Jung Soojung! Nice to meet you." Soojung extended out her hand in front of her roommate. 

The girl continued to look at her phone without even glancing at Soojung. The girl maintained a poker face as she said in monotone, "Kim Yoonhye."

Soojung awkwardly smiled and pulled back her extended hand to her side. She still kept a positive attitude despite Yoonhye's negative one. "Since we're roommates now, I hope we'll-"

"-remain quiet throughout the rest of our lives until we leave this hell of a place." Yoonhye cut her off and finished Soojung's sentence for her. Her gaze never left her electronic device, and her voice and expression stayed stoic. 

Soojung narrowed her eyes in confusion, and blinked a few times. "I just want us to get along..." She mumbled as she slightly pouted.

Yoonhye scoffed. "I don't have the energy to become friends with the likes of you, so just stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours." Her voice became colder.

Soojung, although extremely disappointed, still gave a bright smile and exclaimed, "Okay, Yoonhye-sshi. Whatever makes you feel comfortable."

She proceeded to go back to her bed and start unpacking. That Yoonhye girl totally wrecked her mood but she didn't want to show it. The more she stayed positive, the faster she'll recover to her old self. As she was unpacking, she was looking fowards to eating hanwoo with Minhyuk. He's paying so she's intending on stuffing herself to the max. 


Minhyuk had already unpacked his stuff, so he lied back on his bed and turned to the side to look out of the window. Since he got here before his roommate, he got to choose the better bed. As he was thinking about how much money to bring later to lunch with Soojung (because she can a whole cow if she wants to), the door to his dorm opened and in entered a tall boy with handome, perfect features. He entered the room with an arrogant smirk, but that smirk rubbed off once his eyes landed on Minhyuk. 

Minhyuk sat up and immediately stroded over to the other boy. "I'm Kang Minhyuk, your new roommate." He greeted and extended out his hand preparing for a friendly handshake.

The other boy slightly scowled and slapped Minhyuk's hand away. "Isn't that obvious?" He grumbled under his breath. His shoulder bumped Minhyuk's as he walked over to the bed next to the window which was also Minhyuk's. He turned over to Minhyuk and pointed at the bed. "I can take this bed, right?" He asked, but it was more of a statement.

Minhyuk inwardly scoffed because he didn't want to get on the other guy's nerves. He didn't want to ruin the already damaged atmosphere even further so he reluctantly agreed. "Sure, you can just put my stuff-"

The moment the boy heard the word "sure", he threw Minhyuk's stuff to the other bed roughly, and proceeded to open his guitar case to pull out the instrument. He sat on the edge of his bed and strummed a few strings but stopped when he noticed the unpleasant staring from Minhyuk. 

Minhyuk was fascinated at how the boy picked on the strings effortlessly and make it sound pretty. He also noticed that on the edge of the body of the guitar engraved the letter in cursive. 

"I know I'm handsome and talented and all but having a guy staring at me is a little burdensome. I'm into girls, fyi." The guy bluntly stated.

Minhyuk snapped out of his gaze and blinked. "O-Oh...I was j-just..." Minhyuk stuttered, but eventually regained his voice. "I've been trying to teach myself guitar ever since I was little but I gave up. I ended up learning how to play the drums instead. I was amazed by how easily you're plucking at the strings..." He awkwardly ended. He didn't even know why he was rambling.

The guy narrowed his eyes at Minhyuk. "I never asked for your story." He coldly stated, and then began to continue his strumming. 

Minhyuk innocently put his hands up in defense. "Sorry." He chuckled a bit, and pointed at the door with his thumb. "I'm gonna head out for lunch. Do you want anything?"

The guitar boy did not answer. Instead, he was grumpily tuning his guitar. 

Minhyuk cleared his throat awkwardly and threw his jacket over his shoulder before he opened the door. Before he stepped out, he surprising heard the other guy's voice sheepishly say, "Kim Myungsoo. Triangle kimbap."

Minhyuk chuckled before he shut the door and headed out of the building. He found his roommate a little intriguing and perhaps cute. As he walked out, he phoned a certain someone. After three rings, he heard a cheery voice whining, "Minhyuk-ah! I'm super super hungry right now! Come to the girl's dorm building! Ppali (Hurry)!" 

"Okay, Soojung-ah." He said while laughing, and hung up afterwards.


She linked arms with her friend the moment he arrived. "Oppa, let's go!" Soojung cried gleefully using her aegyo. She dragged him in the right direction as he just laughed at her sudden outburst. She only calls him oppa when she wants something from him. And what she wanted now was beef.

As they made their way to a table after they had arrived at a nearby restaurant, Soojung cried, "Ahjumma, three plates of hanwoo please!" She plopped down to the seat across from Minhyuk whose jaw dropped. 

"Yah, Jung Soojung...Three plates is way too much." Minhyuk complained as he peeked into his wallet only to breath out a sad sigh. 

Soojung narrowed her eyes and pouted. "A deal is a deal. No going back." She simply stated.

"Aish why did I agree to this in the first place?" Minhyuk whispered to himself as an old lady delivered the three plates of galore. 

Soojung happily placed the raw meat onto the grilling plate with her chopsticks while humming. Minhyuk couldn't help but to smile at her. He had his chin in the palm of his hand while his elbow was on the table. He just watched her as she merrily grilled the meat for both of them. Because she was so engrossed into her grilling, she never noticed the way Minhyuk sincerely smiled at her. 

Minhyuk picked up a piece of cooked meat with his chopsticks and attempted to feed Soojung. She gave him a weird look but she complied and then squealed at how delicious it was.

She her lips before she gave Minhyuk a weird look and asked him, "What's up with you today? I mean, you let me buy three plates of hanwoo and now you feed me? Is something wrong?" She became a little worried for him, but then she furrowed her eyesbrows in suspicion. "Tch...you want something from me, don't you?"

Minhyuk chuckled and put his chin in his palm. He titled his head to the side slightly and bluntly stated, "I don't want anything. I just think you look pretty today?"

Soojung widened her eyes and exlcaimed in horror, "Have I always seemed ugly to you?!" She ugently pulled out her phone and used it to examine her face. 

He laughed. "No, you've always looked pretty. It just seems like a different kind of pretty." 

Soojung cocked her head to the side. "Huh? What do you mean? Like a more mature kind of pretty?"

Minhyuk shook his head. "Nope...just different."

Soojung was about to continue interrogating him until the same old lady who had delivered their hanwoo plates came back. She placed a bowl full of patbingsoo (shaved ice dessert) on the table. On the top of ice cream was a candy in the shape of a heart. 

"Because you two ordered so much, I decided to give this to you, on the house - no charge." The lady explained. She clapped her hand together. "I hope you lovebirds have a wonderful afternoon. Couples these days are always on their phones but you two are just so adorable. The way you two banter and look at each other is the way how my husband and I used to act." Her eyes gleamed as she reminisced the memories. 

Soojung looked at the old lady in embarrassment and waved her hands in defense. "Ahjumma, we're not-"

Minhyuk cut her off. "Thank you. We'll enjoy the patbingsoo!" He gave her a charming smile. 

The old lady blushed and shoved his shoulders. "You were just like my husband back in the olden days!" Then she walked off while glancing back a few times to giggle at the couple.

Soojung bit her lip and glared at Minhyuk. "Why did you lie to that ahjumma? She totally mistaken us for a couple." She stated the obvious.

Minhyuk put a hand to his chest and responded sarcastically, "What? Really? I had no idea." He smirked afterwards.

Soojung scoffed. "Ha, ha. Very funny."

Minhyuk picked up another piece of meat and nodded his head towards it. Soojung rapidly ate it and pouted afterwards. He patted her head. "Aigoo, my Soojungie is such a good girl." 

She grabbed four pieces of meat and clumped it together with her chopsticks. She shoved the meat into Minhyuk's mouth. "You should eat too." 


"Ugh, I'm so full!" Soojung exclaimed as she rubbed her belly. 

She and Minhyuk were walking back to the dorms. Their college life would officially begin tomorrow.

Minhyuk rustled her hair. "Of course, you ate 80% of the meal. I'm still surprised your stomach hasn't exploded. It's still as flat as a board."

She gave a cheeky grin to Minhyuk. "I don't gain weight that easily. Ugh, I'm so full." She repeated.

Minhyuk chuckled. "Yeah and while you're full, my wallet is empty, thank you very much." He said mockingly.

Soojung laughed and so did Minhyuk.

Afterwards, they walked in comfortable silence, until Minhyuk suddenly asked, "So, how was the dorm?"

Soojung smiled and replied, "I like how nice and cozy it is." Then she slightly frowned. "It seemed nice at first until I met my roommate..."

"How was she?" Minhyuk inquired.

"She's as cold as the winter storm." Soojung said bitterly. "I tried being nice and all but she said, 'Stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours.'" Soojung quoted in a mocking way. 

Minhyuk slowly nodded his head. "Seems like we both got y roommates."

Soojung cocked her head to the side and turned to Minhyuk. "Why? What did yours do?"

"He was totally rude to me...and then he stole my bed." 

Soojung gasped. Her protective instincts . "That jerk! Maybe I should-"

Minhyuk put out his hand in front of her signaling her to stop. "No need. I can probably get through to him. He'll eventually open up to me."

"Well, if you do...help me. I need to do the same to my roommate. Ugh, and I thought we'd become such great friends too! My college life may become y!" Soojung complained.

"Yah, Jung Soojung! You have me, don't you?" 

"Right right...I have the biggest idiot in the world." She teased.

They both laughed.

Soojung slyly asked, "Is your roommate cute?" She raised her brow in anticipation.

Minhyuk glared at her. "You little..." He sighed but then continued. "He's good looking, but not as great as me." He simply stated, smirking.

Soojung scoffed. "Wow! When did you become so cocky, Mr. Kang?" 

Minhyuk smiled at her response and then continued to talk about his roommate. "Even though he seems rude, I think he's actually pretty cute."

"Oh my god, Minhyuk. Have you turned gay?" She acted surprised, even though she was just teasing.

Minhyuk chuckled and rolled his eyes from her comment. "In a brotherly way, I mean."

Soojung laughed. "Okay, how so?"

"Well before I left the room, he said that - OH! That reminds me of something!" He suddenly exclaimed.

Soojung raised a brow. "What?"

"I need to go to the convenience store real quick."

"Why?"

"I need to go buy triangle kimbap." He announced before he dragged the girl to the nearest convenience store. 


And that concludes the first chapter! This chapter isn't all that important except for the introduction of the characters. I also wanted to show you guys the kind of relationship Soojung and Minhyuk have. Like I said before, just because that they are both the main characters does not mean that they will end up together. It's possible though. I won't disclose regarding who ends up with who so both Hyukstal and Myungstal fans should continue to read the story. And honestly, does it really matter who she ends up with? She's shippable with everyone! If there are any questions, feel free to ask! And thank you to those of who who have subscribed and commented. It meant a lot to me ^.^