Heartless.

Live, Not Just Survive

Byun Baekhyun is a complicated student. His whole existence is terrifying enough to keep everyone’s mouth shut, save for his well-crafted appearance, thanks to puberty. Strolling in the hallways with a lollipop on his mouth, anyone would not be surprised if it was switched with a cigarette on some days.

“Move, mothering piece of ” he spat on a freshman, his minions pushing him harshly to the side. The freshman nodded silently, collecting his trampled Chemistry 101 essay on the floor. It seemed to be a law here that states every single day, the whole student body must gather and whisper to each other in awe while watching the bully, Byun Baekhyun and his minions make their way to the school’s auditorium.

Sometimes they will take much longer than they should, picking up on some random kid of the day and making their life much more miserable by enslaving them, or casually lifting up a girl’s skirt just to see “an inch of heaven”. At first it was painful to watch all of these things being done shamelessly on public, but as time went on, everyone get used to it, including me. Its not like they approve what’s currently going on, but no one could no anything.

The morning assembly passed like the other days, the same goes with the classes. It took forever for the bell to ring, and when it does, the students exited the class faster than a typhoon. While everyone seemed to be chatting with their friends, deep down everyone was chanting prayers, hoping that the God of Luck is beside them.

Byun Baekhyun sat on the middle of the cafeteria, his iris scanning the line of students waiting for their lunch. The feeling of being watched is horrible; his gaze and his presence alone is too much to bear.

“Yoo Saemi”

His voice echoed throughout the cafeteria, toning down all of the busy chatters. Everyone stared at the girl carrying a tray of chicken cordon bleu, her complexion gradually turning pale as she slowly turned around, gazing over the line of students behind and in front of her.

' Please, not me'  Her eyes were expressing the same sorrow as the freshman picked on earlier today.

“For a girl with big , your IQ is quite low to process information. Can’t you at least reply?” Baekhyun smirked, his minions hi-fiving him for the “burn”.

She walked to Baekhyun’s table, gazing at Kim Myungsoo for a second before sitting beside Sehun and Kyungsoo. Baekhyun clicked his tongue, “Not there, you’ll be on my embrace”

I held my breath while holding onto my tray, my knuckles turning white. After all these years, everything about being tolerant has tire me. Saemi is currently being violated in front of the student’s body and her boyfriend, Kim Myungsoo— the current vice president of the student council, didn’t seem to bother. Saemi unwillingly obliged and sat beside him, but Baekhyun has other plans. Snaking his arms around her waist and hoisting her up to his lap facing him, Saemi let out a gasp, covering as if she was not supposed to express anything.

Seeing that the bully has taken his prey for today, the student body sighed in relieve and the line goes on as usual. I diverted my attention to the new menu that came up yesterday— onigiri— and thought of what filling I wanted to taste first. It was after I chose salmon that a hand was slung on my shoulder, almost making me jumped back due to the shock.

I turned and saw Sungyeol, my childhood friend and also my first fling (take note of that, a fling. Not my first love) grinning towards me. “Aigoo, what’s with your face? You look like you just saw a ghost” he laughed, scanning my tray with a disapproving look.

“Dami, if you only eat that one triangle sushi, I bet you won’t grow taller” Sungyeol shook his head, parodying the man who sells second-hand books across my house whenever he found out that we just stop by to mess his store.

“Sungyeol, if you have so much time to comment about my lunch, why didn’t I see you carrying any tray? And by the way, its onigiri, not triangle sushi” I corrected him, earning a speechless look from him.

“Buy two more of them. We’re going to the rooftop” his cheerful tone is gone, replaced with a serious one. I understood, purchasing two more as I strut out of the cafeteria, taking the stairs to the rooftop along with Sungyeol.

Myungsoo was looking down at the green soccer field when we arrived, quiet and all. I stood beside him, holding unto the balcony’s metal railing and offered him the onigiri. He took it and ate them, stopping only to catch his irregular breath. Sungyeol stood on the other side, staring at the cloudless summer sky blankly. Finally breaking down, Myungsoo sobbed quietly, tears dropping from his eyes.

I could only pat his back, trying to soothe him down will not change anything. He must’ve felt really worthless and weak, trying to act like it didn’t bother him at all whilst the whole student body watched Baekhyun violate his girlfriend. His voice cracking, his sobbing became uncontrolled and his shoulder began shaking.

“It’s not the first time, actually” he finally spoke, inhaling a lot of air between his unsteady breathing.

“Saemi told me that Baekhyun had slap her thighs between classes, lifting up her skirt on History, but I—“ his sentence was interrupted by his quiet sobs, which quickly died down as he continued, “ I brushed it off, thinking that he must’ve done it because he’s bored, and it’s— not like he had not done it before, and scolded her for having her skirt too short and inviting attention instead”

Trembling, Sungyeol gave him a firm pat on his shoulder, signaling him to continue. “It’s a relief that Baekhyun didn’t know Saemi and I are in a relationship. If he did, he will do much more terrible things…. I can’t stand him, yet I can’t do anything. I’m so sick of myself”

 Sungyeol cleared his throat, “Let’s go to karaoke after school. Better invest your emotions on singing rather than bawling up here like a baby”

Myungsoo went quiet; it took him a few moment before nodding, the bell signaling the sixth period ringing afterwards.

 

_________________

 

It’s always Myungsoo, Sungyeol and I. People would’ve labeled us as “The vice president and his minions” (which is only half-true, because we’re not his minions). For safety and peace, Myungsoo decided not to hang out with Saemi during school hours, which is why she’s never considered part of “vice president’s minions” by the student body.

After digging through our school bags for our student ID cards for a 20% discount, we sang our hearts out at the nearby karaoke. From Girls Generation to ballad songs, the soundproof room was jammed by our clearly out of tune voices.

We were singing Genie when Myungsoo’s phone rang out of sudden. Looking at the screen, it was an unknown number. Myungsoo was on the toilet, so I decided to pick it up.

“Instead of vouching your petty girlfriend, you decided to hang out and have fun without her. Seems like I should have fun with her instead” The voice on the other line let out a nasty laugh, with three or more people laughing in the background with him.

His voice is all too familiar, Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

Pilot chapter's up! It's basically introduction and all that. Hope you enjoy it!