BIRTHDAY GIRL'S BESTFRIEND

BIRTHDAY GIRL'S BESTFRIEND


The atmosphere of a café seemed different. There was little decoration that indicates the existence of a celebration. A girl was being held a birthday party at that café. Cheerful faces seen in many of friends who were invited, but anxious face was looked at the owner's party. She looked at her clock in her hand so many times. It's been three hours since the party started, but someone who’s hoped to come was didn't come yet. Someone, who has become her best friend since five years ago. She tried to call him, but still no response until the party will be ended soon.

"Tiffany, you did not invite Donghae? Why I do not see him? "

God knew how many times her friends asked the same question on Tiffany, the birthday girl. And Tiffany could only answer, “Looks like he's busy”, with a forced smile and feeling irritated hearing Donghae's name was called.

An hour later the party has ended. Tiffany became the last person in the café becauses she was busy thanking the servants who had helped. When she came out of the café, she tried again to call Donghae, for the umpteenth time, and still have not answered.

"Well Lee Donghae, your life will be ended tomorrow!" Tiffany shouted angrily. She would not be this angry if today is not her 17th birthday.

 

***

 

The next day, Tiffany arrived at school and with unsteady steps she went to her classroom. She's not really excited today, still feeling annoyed at one of her oh-so-called-bestfriend. Suddenly a boy appeared right in front of her and greeted her very cheerfully.

"Tiffany how are you today?"

Tiffany kept silent, showed a cold face to a boy in front of her. "What do you think then?" Tiffany asked in a tone of arrogance.

"I think you're okay" replied that boy with a little laugh.

Tiffany could no longer restrain her anger. "Lee Donghae! First, you forgot that yesterday was my birthday. I understood that because you even can’t remember what date you were born. Second, you didn’t come to my party without any notice. And third, today how could you act like you did not make any mistakes? "

Donghae laughed out loud. "For some reason, to me you look so cute when angry"

Tiffany sighed. "Well, I guess there's nothing to talk about anymore," said Tiffany while leaving Donghae.

Donghae chased Tiffany and pulled her hand until they faced each other again. "Tiffany, yesterday after school I had to do my part time job, and when I finished it I fell asleep. You know right what if I'm aslept? " Donghae expressed his alibi.

Tiffany glared at Donghae. "And then?"

"Then I forgot that there was your party last night."

"And then?" Tiffany asked the same question.

Donghae looked at his friend in confusion. "Then I....did not come to your party," Donghae said, scratching his head which is not itchy.

"Donghae, all of the people know that you didn’t come to my party. All I want is not your stupid answers. Can’t you apologize for the mistake you've made?" Tiffany stared at Donghae with feelings of disappointment.  "Aissshhhh Lee Donghae whom I know was never changed. I really don’t want to see you again. Bye! "Tiffany ran as fast as she could because she really did not want to close with Donghae for now.

 

***

 

In break time, Tiffany, with two of her best friends, Taeyeon and Sunny, spent time in the cafetaria. Taeyeon and Sunny were discussing about Biology tasks just given by their teacher, while Tiffany just daydream and twirled at her glass of cola. Suddenly she heard the whispers of other female students in the cafetaria then she saw five boys entered to the cafeteria with laugh. That five boys are know as the school idols and unfortunately Donghae is one of them.
Tiffany noticed Donghae; who was joking with Hyukjae, Sungmin, Ryeowook, and Kyuhyun, from where she sat. Tiffany wondered how Donghae still able to laugh without feel any guilt at all. At first she thought Donghae would come to her and apologize, but it was just her thought.She was more upset when she saw Donghae and Hyukjae teased a junior female student who’s passing near them. Tiffany took her glass and drinking her cola until it ran out in just one gulp.


"Tiffany, what's wrong with you?" Taeyeon asked in surprise.

"I see you since morning you just stay quiet. Is there any problem? "Sunny also asked.

"No, I’m okay!" Tiffany replied while forcing a smile. "I go to the toilet first. See you in class. "

When she got to the toilet, Tiffany stared at her own reflection in the mirror and then her mind drifted away. Tiffany knew Donghae six years ago when they were both in middle school. Donghae, who was playing basketball at the school field, throwing the ball too hard which accidentally hit Tiffany who’s passing. Since then they both like dog and cat. Every time they met they always quarreled. But there's no one who could guess the fate.

A year later, they became classmates. Because the number of male and female students in their class were odd, their teacher decided there must be a boy and a girl who sit together. After the draw, with a heavy heart Tiffany and Donghae sat together. As predictable,  there were so many arguments between them at first. But as time went by, between Tiffany who’s neat, smart, and cheerful with Donghae who’s cool and funny; finally arouse an understanding because they often worked together for assignments. In fact, they both became good friends who always sharing stories. All their friends know where there is Tiffany there will be Donghae. Every time a friend asks if they are dating, Tiffany and Donghae will definitely avoid. Although in her heart, Tiffany feels happy every time someone thinks Donghae is her boylfriend.

"Aisshhh .. Hwang Tiffany, stop your bad thoughts! "Tiffany said to herself, patting her cheek.

The bell has been rang. Tiffany quickly out of the toilet, but she stopped when she saw Donghae is in front of the toilet.

"Tiffany, what are you doing there?" Donghae asked, calmly.

"It's toilet, for what else you asked what I've done inside.Then what are you doing here? Do you ... follow me? " Tiffany asked in a suspicious tone.

"What? Tiffany, if I'm here, it means that I'm going to my class. Aissh what you think in your little mind huh? " Donghae said, slapping Tiffany head gently, and walked to class.

Before getting into his class, Donghae shouted at Tiffany, "Get to your class as fast as you can now or else you want to get punished?"

Tiffany got embarraed. How could she forget that Donghae’s class is near the toilet? "Babo Babo," said Tiffany, quickly left that place.

 

***

 

Throughout the rest of the lesson, Tiffany couldn’t concentrate. Sunny repeatedly admonished her not to daydream. Luckily it was time to go home. Tiffany wanted to get home, sleep, and forget about all the annoying matters today. When Tiffany arrived at the school gate, suddenly someone pulled her arm from behind.

"Donghae? Hey .. what are you doing? " Tiffany shouted, after she knew someone who pulled her arm is Donghae.

"Now you must come with me," said Donghae, then dragged  Tiffany out of the school environment.

"Donghae, are you crazy? Where will you take me, huh? Donghae, let go of my hand! "

Donghae pretended not to hear Tiffany's shout. Donghae just stopped and let go of the Tiffany’s hand, when they arrived in front of a middle school. Tiffany felt weird, why Donghae took her to the middle school they used to. Location of their middle school with their current school now is not too far away.

"Why did you bring me here? I wanna go home! "Tiffany said.

"No. Just come in!" Donghae turned Tiffany's body then pushed her back gently.

"Donghae, what the hell is this?"

They both went into the school environment. School was empty, as if all the occupants had gone home. Donghae took Tiffany to the basketball court at school.

"Wow I have not been playing basketball here for long time!" Donghae jogged toward the field. Then put down his large bag and pulled out a basketball. He also immediately drible the ball around.

Tiffany watched Donghae from the side of the field with a little angry. She didnt't understand what exactly Donghae will do here. "Hey Lee Donghae, you're not taking me here to see you play basketball right??"

Donghae stopped and stared at Tiffany. "Tiffany, you know I'm a great three-point printer, right? You think I can put this ball into the ring from a distance of ten meters? "

Tiffany really didn't understand what her friend’s mean. And now Donghae has been standing about ten feet from the ring. "Donghae, I don’t understand what exactly you want, but for the sake of everything, of course that ball will be impossible to enter. Especially if you who'll throw it! " Tiffany  replied confidently and looked away.

"Oh so you're doubting my ability? Okay .. what if we bet? If the ball doen't go into the ring, tomorrow I'll be your servant for a whole day. But if the ball goes in, you ... must become my girlfriend. Deal? "Donghae said, no less of convincing.

Tiffany surprised to hear Donghae’s last sentence. Tiffany could only look at Donghae, who was smiling sweetly at her.  Tiffany stood with a pounding heart and doesn’t know what to say. 'Is it right, Donghae said I should be his girlfriend?' Tiffany said to herself.

"If you don't say anything, it means you agree!" Donghae said with a wink.

Donghae suddenly became serious. His eyes focused on the basketball ring which is ten meters in front of him. He held a basketball tightly in his hands. Tiffany while still stood on the sidelines with a thump, she hoped the ball will reach the ring and go in. Donghae took a deep breath and then he had to shoot the ball toward the ring. One ... two ... three .. four ... five .... Donghae and Tiffany equally hold their breath, their eyes followed the direction of the ball. And then the ball ... ....

"Woooohoooooo .... Tiffany, you see it? The ball goes in !!!!" Donghae jumped triumphantly, as if he had just finished winning the final. Then, pointing his finger at Tiffany, "Hwang Tiffany, you're my girlfriend now!"

Tiffany stood motionless. Her heart is still beating fast. Actually she also wanted to jump, but her ego forbid her. "What do you mean? I haven’t agree with the bet you made " Tiffany was turn, and walked away. But in her heart, Tiffany hoped Donghae will run  after her.

"Hey..Tiffany, but I've already managed to put the ball in! That's not easy you know! "Donghae shouted, still had not moved from the basketball court.

Tiffany stopped and turned around, "I don’t want to be your girlfriend. You haven’t told me you like me. Besides, you didn’t ask whether I want to be your girlfriend or not. "Tiffany walked away, this time with a slower step.

Suddenly .... "Hwang Tiffany, I LOVE YOU! Will you be my girlfriend? "Donghae cried aloud.

Tiffany stopped again. She smiled happily to hear what Donghae has shouted. Tiffany quickly turned around and put a face I-don’t-care, "Are you serious?"

Donghae looked frustrated in the middle of the field. He ran after Tiffany. "Tiffany, I've tried to get rid of all my ego to say this,and you think it’s a joke? Aisshhh ... "

Tiffany smiled sweetly seeing Donghae’s attitude. "I know. I love you too! "

Donghae bit surprised. "Really? Then you want to be my girlfriend? "

"Well .. if I told you so, of course I want to be your girlfriend! Stupid ~ "

They both smiled at each other sheepishly. Donghae held Tiffany's hand. "Actually, yesterday I didn't come to your party in purpose, because I wanted to make you upset and this surprise plan can be succeeded"

"WHAT?" Tiffany slapped Donghae's arm. "You should’ve not do that. Because of you, I was upset along the party! "

"Sorry Sorry. Look, I have something for you! "Donghae pulled something from his pocket. A silver necklace with heart-shaped pendant.  He put the necklace on Tiffany’s neck. Then he turned Tiffany’s body till they faced each other. Donghae kissed Tiffany’s forehead gently. “Happy Birthday!”

Tiffany bowed, she didn't want Donghae to see her flushed cheeks. "Thanks, Donghae."

"Hey call me yeobo now!"

"MWO? Dream on! "Tiffany stucked out her tongue and ran toward the field.

Donghae joined in the rush to pursue Tiffany. They chased each other with happy laughter.

In this place they first met. In this place they also declared their  love. Tiffany felt no words can describe her feelings right now. All she knows, from now on if anyone asks what if Donghae is her boyfriend, she can answer with pride "Yes, Lee Donghae is my boyfriend!"