Chapter 23

A Little Thing About Love

Things returned to normal and Bomi came over for dinner the next time we all had met. She shocked the others by finally replying on the group chat and Howon was accusing her so much for not telling us that she went away.


"Yah, Yoon Bomi! How could you not tell us anything and just disappear like that?" Howon accused her, in a joking manner of course.

Bomi blushed lightly as she sat in my room. "I…" She looked to me as if asking for help but I didn't know what to say as well.

"I was visiting my grandparents at the countryside. It was a last minute thing so…" She trailed off in her lie. Wow, Bomi doesn't usually lie but this is the first time I've seen her lie. I just hope they buy the lie.

Before the guys could even say anything, my mom had saved us by calling is down for dinner.

"Kids! Come down for dinner now!" She shouted and we all shuffled downstairs to get our dinner.

"It's nice to have you around again Bomi." My mom said as she took a piece of chicken and placed it in her bowl. Bomi smiled politely and accepted my mom's kindness.

"Do come over more often." My dad said.

"Yeah, maybe you can invite your brother over too! We've even met Myungsoo's brother. We should meet your brother." Howon added. Remember how we used to be so curious as to how Bomi's brother looked like back then? Yeah, we still are.

"Yeah, if we meet your sibling, we would have met everybody's siblings too." Sunggyu added in and I saw Howon shifted uncomfortably in his seat. We would have met all except his noona. Which he definitely cannot let us meet her because Lee Minji is well known. The eldest daughter of the famous Lee Family. She can't be known as his noona, they'll all know he's the youngest son in the family.

"Neh, I'll ask him some time." Bomi said.

"Bomi's oppa is really like what the rumours said. He's really good looking." I added in as I took a bite of my dinner.

"Wait, how do you know how Bomi's oppa look like?" Woohyun said as he gave it some thought. Uh-oh. "I thought none of us met him before."

I swallowed my saliva. Oh no, what did I just say? I think I got too excited at the mention of her brother because the mystery was unveiled for me but I forgot about the others.

"I… uh… I met him yesterday! By chance…" I stuttered. Well, it really was by chance anyways.

"Jin saw my brother and I around the neighbourhood yesterday. We were just coming back from the grocery store." Bomi saved me before I could say more nonsense and ruined this whole lie about Bomi visiting her grandparents.

Woohyun nodded slowly. "So… how does he look like!"

Remember when I said Woohyun and Howon were the most curious as to how Bomi's brother looks like? Until now, they are still the most curious ones.

I gave him a smirk. "More good looking than you are!" And then I stuck my tongue out at Woohyun.

"Yah!" Woohyun called out. "I look good don't I?" He said softly to Sunggyu but the whole table caught what he was saying and we all laughed.

After dinner, we had all gathered in my room to talk and drink sodas. Being eighteen and some of us not even of age, we were pretending that the sodas were like beers and was just drinking and talking all night long. It was the only time of the year Bomi was allowed over so we had to make good use of this time. Well, summer break and winter break but it compared to the others, it's really little time.

I also noticed that Woohyun and Bomi were acting normal. Well, Bomi definitely looked a little uncomfortable but Woohyun was acting normal, which I'm really glad for. I hope with that, their relationship could be set right again. Woohyun just had that way of making people feel at ease around him and I hope it applies to Bomi too.

I then went down to get some fruits for the others and Myungsoo came with me, saying that he'll help me cut the fruits.

"You don't have to do this you know, you can just sit and chat with them. Let me be a good host." I said as he took out some apples from the fridge.

"Can't you just accept my help gracefully?" He joked.

I rolled my eyes but I smiled at him. I was cutting the apples and he was washing those uncut ones.

"You know…" He started but he stopped in the middle.

I looked at him and urged him to go on. What's bothering him?

"Krystal asked me out this summer vacation." He said and he looked at me.

"Omo that's great! You should go!" I said because I got excited for him but at the same time, my excitement had caused me to accidentally cut myself. "Ah!" I cried out slightly, not trying to make a big deal out of it because it really isn't. It was just a small cut despite it bleeding.

"Jin!" From the tone of his voice, I could tell he's going to scold me for being clumsy all over again. He immediately took the knife away from me and placed my hand under the water. Myungsoo pressed against the wound so that it'll stop bleeding. He looked so focused and he had his eyebrows furrowed together.

"Myung-ah… it's okay, it's only a small cut." I said meekly because he might just scold me anytime for being clumsy. I'm not even kidding.

"Where's the first aid box?"

"Up in the cabinet." I pointed using my good hand.

Myungsoo then went to get the first aid box and he carefully applied the antiseptic on for me. I know that there's no way I can stop him because he is a stubborn boy and so I just let him tend to me. Be prepared for another round of scolding Jin, be prepared. After applying the antiseptic, Myungsoo then placed a band aid on for me.

"You've got to be more careful you know. Were you excited for me to go out with Krystal or were you so angry that you decided to cut yourself?" He joked.

Okay, this is new. Instead of scolding me like I expected, he's joking.

"I'm happy for you of course!" I shot back immediately. It was just an accident.

Myungsoo stared at me as he tried to hold back his laughter but then he couldn't take it anymore. He just laughed. "I'm kidding about you being angry though."

I squinted my eyes at him as though it could shoot out laser beams and I lightly punched him with my good hand. I then took the knife back in my hands and tried to cut the apples when Myungsoo held tightly onto my hand.

He removed the knife from me once again and nudged me to a side. Myungsoo had completely taken over my position and was cutting the apples instead.

"Yah, I can still do it." I protested.

"And risk letting yourself get injured again?" He said, "besides, I don't want to eat apples that has your blood on it."

"Yah!" I raised my voice but Myungsoo stuffed an apple in my mouth before I could say anything else to rebut him.

"But seriously…" Myungsoo turned to face me as I was chewing the apple he stuffed in my face. "Should I go?" He gave me a look that I couldn't decipher and it was like I was being into his trance.

"I…" I don't know why but I stopped to think seriously about it. Myungsoo going out with Krystal? What are the pros and cons? What's there to not support in this relationship? What could even go wrong with them going out with each other? Why am I even doing this? I then remembered about that time Hyuna told me to relay the message to Myungsoo.

"Myung-ah," I started. "Hyuna… she told me to tell you not to hurt Krystal."

Myungsoo just nodded.

"She likes you a lot. Like really a lot." I stressed.

Myungsoo smiled.

It wasn't a reassuring smile or anything like he always gives me to reassure me but it was just a smile. I couldn't tell the meaning behind it.

He took the plate of apples that he'd finish cutting and then stared at me one last time. "Is this all you have to say?"

There's really nothing else.

Myungsoo nodded to himself and gestured in the direction out of the kitchen. "Lets go have some apples then."

I thought about it for the rest of the night and I even lost my sleep because of it. Wow, seems like Krystal is finally making a move on Myungsoo and I wonder how things will turn out. The idea of them dating in the future just popped into my mind and I didn't know what to think. Does this mean Myungsoo will be spending more time with Krystal and less time with us? I don't know why I felt upset about that happening. Myungsoo has been with us since the start of the year and we've been spending so much time with each other ever since. How am I supposed to get used to him not being around?

But one part of me says that I've survived close to seventeen years without Myungsoo. I've only known him since the start of this year, yet we've been so close that it feels like I've known him since forever.

Ugh, my brain just kept working around this issue and I tossed and turned for I don't even know how long it has been until I finally fall asleep.

--

A few days later, Myungsoo had texted me saying that he's going out with Krystal today and I texted him back to wish him good luck. Hopefully the two will have a great date today.

Even so, I kept looking to my phone and wondering how his date is going. Where did they go? Watch a movie perhaps? Go to some cafe? Why am I so interested in them anyways? It's their date. Gosh, Jung Yoojin don't be such a busybody. I then tried to study on my own because the final college entrance exam is not over yet, so I can't be too relaxed. However, I found myself checking my phone for texts every now and then, hoping that Myungsoo would reply.

One minute, two minute, I checked again and still no text. What kind of guy texts some other girl on a date anyways? Focus Jin focus! Forget about their date for a moment please!

But I was curious as to how it went. Did Myungsoo finally express interest in Krystal? Did the two of them have a good time? Or was Myungsoo being indifferent again? Come on, Kim Myungsoo. That girl basically showed that she likes you! Do something about it!

Ugh Jung Yoojin why are you thinking about this again?!

Anyways, I was so distracted that I couldn't even study so I went to watch my Shinee videos. Only Shinee can take my attention away from their date. And it worked.

It was soon dinnertime when my phone suddenly rang and I saw that it was Myungsoo calling. I immediately pick up because maybe his date has ended and I can't wait for him to tell me how it went! I mean, good friends share details like that right? Maybe guys don't but girls do and I was really really really curious as to how it went.

"Myung!" I picked up enthusiastically. "Is your date over? How was it! Tell me all about it!"

"Whoa… chill Jin. Besides, it's not a date. It's just a meet up or something like that." Myungsoo said.

"Aniya, that's not what Krystal might think." I suggested with a sneaky smile on my face despite him not being able to see it. "What did you guys do anyway?"

"We just watched a movie and grabbed some food after. Nothing much." He said coolly. Look at this guy pretending to be all cool about his date.

"So?"

"So what?"

"So what do you think about her?" I asked. I can't hide my curiosity any longer.

"She's just a friend." He has been repeating this for so long, no matter how I try to put the both of them together.

"Are you sure?"

"Shut up Jin."

"Yah!" I scolded him. This mini devil.

"Just come out of your house now." He was chuckling over the line.

"Huh?" I said, confused.

"Just come."

I then went down and opened my front door. To my surprise, there was a huge box right in front of my face. The person standing behind the box then held it down and it was obviously Myungsoo, standing there with a smile on his face. He was laughing. Maybe at me.

"What was that!" I laughed at his kiddish actions.

"We went Velvet Lovers cafe today. Thought you should try the best red velvet cake ever." He winked and held up the box of cake. I looked inside and saw three slices. "Share it with your family."

I was reminded of the time I mentioned that I wanted to try the red velvet cake at Velvet Lovers cafe and I laughed at that memory. To think he remembers that conversation we had.

Myungsoo handed me the box of cake and was just about to leave when I stopped him.

"Myung…" I called out before he could walk away. "Wanna stay for dinner?"

Without even hesitating, Myungsoo agreed.

"Yah, take this to my mom, she'll be so happy." I handed back the box to him. My mom would be so happy that not only is Myungsoo staying for dinner, but he'd also brought some food along with him. My mom is a food lover. Maybe that's why I'm like that too.

"Omma! Guess who's here!" I shouted out to the kitchen where she was busy preparing dinner as usual.

"Who is it? Is it Howon? He should just live here already, I'll even get a room just for him!"

"Ommoni, annyeonghaseyo." Myungsoo called out and my mom looked up.

"Aigoo! Our handsome boy is here! Do stay for dinner! I'm not taking no for an answer!" Told you my mom is really excited about guests coming over.

"Omma, I already invited him. Your daughter has learned to extend her courtesy." I said as I gave her a back hug while she was busy preparing dinner.

"Ommoni, this is for you and your family." Myungsoo said and he held up the box of cake.

My mom got so excited about it that she broke free from my hug and went up to Myungsoo instead. "Aigoo! There's no need to bring anything over! This is so sweet of you! Be prepared to enjoy a feast tonight!" I pouted at the negligence of my affection towards my mother. Heol. Now that my mom has seen a handsome guy, she totally kicked her daughter to one side.

My mom then took the box of cake and put it in the fridge and the both of us headed to my room while dinner is being prepared.

"See, I told you my mom will love it." I told him.

"Just like you, a food lover."

I shrugged. "Can't help it. I'm in love with food. I might as well be in a relationship with food instead. Till the day Howon knows I actually like him, I might as well date food." I joked about it. I actually felt comfortable talking about the whole liking Howon thing in front of him. Maybe it's because he's the only one who knows but I somehow like that I didn't have to be careful around him.

"By the way," I added. "Thanks for remembering about the cake."

Myungsoo smiled at me and gave my hair a ruffle. He didn't say anything but his smile tells me that he did remember about me mentioning the red velvet cake.

Apparently my mom adores Myungsoo even more after he brought the cakes over. She was all over him the entire dinner. His bowl was full of food and you couldn't even see the rice anymore.

"Omma!" I scolded her for being so overly generous. "Give him some time to eat!"

My mother gave me a death glare. Maybe that's where I got my classic Jin glare from. Like mother like daughter.

"Thank you ommoni." Myungsoo said politely.

"Don't encourage her." I whispered softly to him but my mom had caught it.

She threw a piece of meat into my bowl and gave me a scowl. "Don't say I treat you badly." She then laughed right after.

"Neh, kamsahamnida!" I ate happily at my mom's way of showing her affection. She's the best mom ever! Not that I have other moms but still, you know what I mean.

After dinner, Myungsoo and I sat at the living room and spent a hell lot of time talking to each other and we're really just talking about random stuff. Like really random stuff like some person he saw on the streets banging his head into a glass door and I just laughed. We just laughed all night long. His phone even vibrated a few times but he didn't bother to check because we were so engrossed in our conversation. My mom also brought over some snacks for us as we just sat and talk.

"Gosh, that was so funny." I clutched onto my stomach and tried to stop myself from laughing too hard. Myungsoo was laughing too.

"Jin, you should have been there to see it."

"And crash your date? No thanks." I said.

"It's not a date." Myungsoo stressed yet again.

I shrugged. "If you say so." He's kinda stubborn in that way if you get what I mean. It felt nice just sitting around and chatting without having the huge burden of studying. Well, there's still the need to study but it felt less intense for now.

I thought about how the next year we are all going to be university student. It would be good if we could all make it to the same university and hang out just like before but with my standards, I don't think so. I sighed, thinking about how we might not be the same again after high school.

"What's with the sigh?"

"Myung-ah, what if we don't all make it to the same university? I mean, you, Sunggyu, Bomi, will definitely make it to Seoul National University. Even Howon and Woohyun seem to be able to make it there. Then there's me. What if you all make it except for me?" I was getting slightly worried about that fact.

"Jin, you will. We will study hard together. You'll make it."

"How are you so sure?"

Myungsoo sat closer to me and put his arm on my shoulders. "I just know it. You're a fighter Jin, you work hard for things. With that attitude, I'm sure you'll be able to fight for what you want."

"But I don't even know what I want to study…" I said sadly. It is really a sad thing that I don't even know what I want to do in the future when most of my friends already have a goal in mind.

"Hmmm… what are you interested in?" Myungsoo asked.

Good question. What am I interested in? Engineering? No. Business? No way. Sciences? I at biology. Arts? It sounds better than everything else.

"Maybe… arts? Like the drawing kinda arts. Not the humanities kinda arts." I said. That was kind of true, I mean, I'm in the arts club anyway.

"And what are you good at?" He asked again.

"I'm not particularly good at any subject but I am good at drawing?"

Myungsoo smiled. "There you have it! An arts degree!"

"But what can I work as in the future with an arts degree?"

Myungsoo leaned in closer and he listed out a few jobs with his fingers. "You can work in exhibition companies. Art exhibitions. You can be managers of art galleries. You can organize events. There are many things you can do Jin. Don't worry too much. There will be a place for you in this world."

I smiled at my best friend. I just want to give him a hug right now. "And you always, always know what to say to make me feel better."

"My pleasure." He gave a gentlemanly nod and the both of us started chatting away again.

We didn't even notice how much time has passed until I saw that it was close to midnight. Myungsoo didn't even seem to care as he got ready to go back home.

"I'm sorry for holding you back for so long. Your mom must be worried." I said apologetically.

Myungsoo shook his head, "aniya, she knows I'm here and she trusts that I'm safe."

"I'll walk you back!" I immediately offered because I felt bad. It was already very late.

"No way. How are you going to walk back then?"

"I'll walk you halfway!" I suggested but Myungsoo shook his head. I pouted. "Let's just go get ice cream then. It's hot anyways." I said as I headed out of my house. He can't stop me now can he? I could literally hear him chuckle behind me and I'm sure he's probably shaking his head in disbelief.

We then went to the nearest twenty-four seven convenient store and it was the one nearest to Sunggyu's home. It wasn't far from my house and it wasn't far from Myungsoo's house too. It was actually halfway from both of our houses, which is a fair deal of walking him halfway back.

Having our ice cream in the hot summer night, we looked at the stars in the dark night. The sky was clear and the stars shone prettily tonight. It was just a beautiful sight to see.

Once we were done, the both of us finally agreed to part. I can't believe how fast time has past and it was already very late.

"Let's get you home." Myungsoo said and started walking in my home's direction.

"Yah!" I pulled him back. "I promised to walk to halfway back. We're going back on our own from here, or we'll never get back sending each other home." I laughed at that silly thought.

Myungsoo thought about it for a while and he finally gave in. "Alright then… text me as soon as you're back okay?"

"Same to you."

Finally, finally, we said our goodbyes and headed back home. It was dark but I wasn't afraid because this neighbourhood isn't that dangerous. Besides, there's nobody around. Also, it's near Sunggyu's place. Like really very near. I wonder how Sunggyu is coping now. He's still working and I hope he doesn't compromise too much of his studying time or overwork himself or anything.

With the mention of Sunggyu in my head, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me as I saw a familiar looking figure just sitting around at one of the roadside benches. He looks like Sunggyu. My heart nearly stopped because I remembered the last time I found him on the streets late at night. I remembered the time he was all broken and wounded in the streets. Please don't let that be Sunggyu. Please let him be safe at home.

I approached the figure sitting there with his head hung low and I called out just to be sure. I mean, they can't look this similar right?

"G-Gyu?"

The stranger looked up.

My prayers weren't heard.

It was Kim Sunggyu.

I gasped. "Gyu!" I went to sit next to him. He had red eyes, not because he cried or anything but just bloodshot because he's tired. He looked so so so tired.

"Hey." He said softly as he looked at me.

"Are you okay?" I got worried thinking about the last time he got hurt and I took his arms to check.

"I—" He began but I cut him off.

"Omo!" I lifted his left wrist and I saw a huge bruise there. It was more than a bruise. It looked like a sprain instead. His write was red and swollen "Sunggyu!"

"I'm fine Jin." Sunggyu retracted his hand and tried to manage out a smile.

"This is not fine Gyu. You need to go to the hospital now. This is not a small injury!" I pulled his good wrist up, wanting to bring him to the emergency department immediately but he stopped me.

"Jin… I can't…"

"What do you mean you can't?" He looked at me with those tired eyes. Oh, Sunggyu, why is the heavens so unfair? Why you? Of all people?

"My dad… he went drinking with a friend, or an ex-friend now I suppose, and they fought. I think it was over my mom. The other guy started saying that he should give up waiting and stuff like that and he should not waste more money on my mom and my dad got angry. My dad scolded him because my mom is in a coma, not on life support. He's not giving up. They argued and it escalated into a fight."

"And you went to stop them?"

Sunggyu nodded. "This," he pointed to his bad wrist. "Isn't by my dad, it was the other guy. He pushed me and I fell. I used my hand for support but… yeah."

"We need to get you to the doctor." I looked at his swollen hand, it seemed so painful.

Sunggyu shook his head again. "My dad got hurt and I brought him to the hospital. I can't afford another trip. I barely paid my mom's bills." He looked like he was going to cry and I placed a hand on his hand.

"You can't but I can." I said and I dragged him up. He was probably confused but he followed me quietly this time.

"Jin… What—"

"Shhh." I put a finger to his lips. "Don't say anything, just follow me."

The whole time I was dragging him and he kept quiet, finally listening to me.

In my mind, I kept thinking about how unfair the world is. It's never fair. Here I am, with the kindest angel ever, and he's having the hardest time any teenager our age could face. The responsibilities he had since a young age had forced him to grow up so quickly and so fast. He's probably never had as much fun as a normal teen our age. It's just not fair.

I walked back to my house, which wasn't far away and I made him stay outside.

"Just wait here okay, don't you dare run off. You'll be so dead if you do." I added in just in case he thinks he's a burden or anything.

I ran back in and rummaged through my entire room to find all the savings that I had. It wasn't much but I counted everything and it amounted to a few hundred. This is definitely more than enough for Sunggyu's bills. It was a whole lot of coins and so I put them all in a small pouch and stuffed it in my pocket.

When I came back out, I saw Sunggyu standing by the sidewalk, right where I left him and I breathed out a sigh of relief. He didn't leave.

"Let's go." I said.

"Where to?"

"Just follow me."

It was late and there wasn't any buses left so I hailed for a taxi. I could tell Sunggyu was about to protest yet again but I pulled him in.

"Ahjusshi, to the nearest hospital please." I said.

"Jin, I—" Sunggyu started but I shushed him up again.

"Gyu, listen to me. This isn't going to heal by itself." I pointed to his wrist. "Let me take you to the hospital. Let's get this healed okay? Don't worry about the money, I'll settle it."

"But it's too much…"


"Even if it is, let me just help you okay? Just accept my help this time? Please? You've helped me so much especially for my studies so could you just accept my help this time?" I said. I felt like this was the right thing to do. It's not fair he had to be involved with so much when he's only eighteen. He's only a kid.

Sunggyu looked at me with his sad eyes, "thank you Jin. Thank you so much."

I smiled at him. I just want him to know that I'll be there no matter what. He can always count of me to have his back. Nobody bullies Kim Sunggyu. Nobody should ever harm this angel sitting next to me.

Once we reached, I paid the taxi driver and we went to register.

"By the way, why were you outside in the middle of the night?" I asked him as we waited for our turn in the hospital.

"I didn't want to go home. Not after the fight tonight. After I brought my dad back, I put him to bed and went outside to sit. I just didn't want to have to face reality of things. Sometimes I think I can handle it but I'm just tired. So so so tired of it." He looked down. I patted him on the shoulders.

"You don't have to bare the whole weight of the world on your shoulders." I said.

"My world is crumbling into pieces Jin. How can I not hold the sky up?" He said, referencing the Titan Atlas, holding the sky up as his responsibility and also his burden.

I didn't know what to say but he was right. Sunggyu was right.

"Gyu… why not… try seeking help?" I said carefully because this could very well be a touchy subject.

"It's not easy to get him to quit. I don't want to have to subject to people coming over to bring my father into rehab. It's… it's not fair for him as well. I can't do that to him. But I'll talk to him. I promise."

Nothing is ever fair in this world and I hate that there's nothing more I could do for him.

"Kim Sunggyu?" The nurse called out and Sunggyu stood up. I told him I'll just be outside waiting and he went in with the nurse.

I sighed, looking at his back view. He slouched a little, just a little and it's not too obvious unless you looked at him closely. His tired eyes tells it all. This guy really needs a break.

Just then, my phone vibrated and there was a call coming in. It was Myungsoo. Omo, I didn't text him to say I was home safely!

"Hey!" I picked up and I could hear Myungsoo panting over the other line.

"Oh my gosh," he breathed out and he was catching his breath.

Oh no, what happened to Myungsoo now?

"You… you… are you okay?" He breathed heavily, trying to catch his breath.

"M-me? I'm fine! What happened to you? Are you okay?" I asked anxiously.

"You didn't text me back. I got worried." He finally steadied his breathing and got to talk properly.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" I apologized quickly. Oh no, did I make him worry about me again?

"I didn't receive your text after awhile so I called you. And you didn't pick up so I got worried. I thought something happened to you so I went back and you weren't there. I went to your home but your room light wasn't on. I thought you were asleep but then I went back to the convenient store just in case, and the ahjusshi said you left with some other guy. I got so worried but I couldn't find you anywhere and you weren't picking up and—"

"Myung." I stopped him before he ran out of breath. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I'm with Sunggyu now."

"Gyu?" He sounded really confused.

"I saw him and he was injured so I brought him to the hospital. I'm waiting for him now." I figured I should at least tell Myungsoo this much so that he'll stop worrying.

"What happened to him?"

I paused. This is a tricky question. How do I say it without letting Myungsoo know of Sunggyu's secret?

"He fell." I simply stated.

"This late?"

Myungsoo sure is quick to pick up something wrong.

"Yeah." Nope Jin, it's not your secret to tell. To my luck, he seemed to have dropped it. He probably knows I'm not telling him something but it's not because I didn't want to. It's because I couldn't. It was the same as when he found out that I know something about Sunggyu when he wore a jacket to school on a hot day.

"Go back safely okay?" He said and I reassured him that I'll be fine and promised to call him once I'm safe at home. Apparently, Myungsoo had called me for more than thirty times but I didn't pick up because I was too occupied with Sunggyu. I felt bad that I had caused him to worry so much. Can I just not let people worry about me for once? Aish, Jung Yoojin! Stop being such a big baby.

I waited there for about ten more minutes and I finally saw Sunggyu coming out from the doctor's office. His left wrist was bandaged neatly and it looks like he'll be unable to move it anytime soon.

"How do you feel now?" I asked him as he walked towards me.

"Much better, I could even wrestle a bull." He joked lightly.

"Yah," I hit him lightly because in such a moment, he could still crack a joke. "Lemme see." I motioned for him to show me his bad wrist and he did. I couldn't tell with the bandage on but I hope he heals well and heals fast.

"The doctor said I wouldn't be able to play basketball for at least a month." He said sadly.

"What?!" I said a bit too loudly and the other people in the emergency department all stared at me. I had to hide my face in embarrassment.

"I mean, what? Then how are you going to participate in the competitions?" I whispered this time round.

Sunggyu shrugged but he didn't look too worried. "I'll find a way. There's no way I'm not playing in the competitions."

"But you could risk injuring it again!"

"Or I could risk hurting the team with my absence."

"Times like these I wish you were just a little bit more selfish, Gyu. You need to take good care of those precious hands. What if you want to work as something that requires some really complicated skills? You can't risk these pair of hands." I exaggerated. I just wanted him to rest well and recover quickly.

"A doctor has bad writing, they don't need good hands." He joked.

"You want to be a doctor?"

Sunggyu nodded. "It's been a dream since I was a kid."

"I never knew that." I said, feeling slightly guilty that I didn't know about his dreams and aspirations. "You'll be a great one. I can feel it."

Sunggyu laughed. "A doctor saves lives. I've always wanted to be one after seeing my mom in a coma. I want to save lives so that no other family will be hurt when they see their loved ones being taken away by illnesses."

"That's so… admirable of you." I struggled to find the right words because Sunggyu had such a big dream. Such a noble dream. He really deserves the best.

"The way you care about your friends Jin, that's just as admirable too."

"Nah, I can't be compared to your big dream."

"I'm serious." He said with his serious face on. "Thank you."

I lightly nudged him to lighten the mood or else I would cry. Sunggyu is just so precious.

"Promise me Gyu, that you'll always come to me if you need help. Don't handle it all on your own. Please?"

Sunggyu nodded. "I promise."

I smiled and I went to pay his bills for the night. Hopefully just for this one night, I lightened just a little bit of weight from his crumbling world. Just for this night, I could help him hold up the weight of the sky, unlike Atlas who has to face his burden alone.

As we walked out of the hospital, I had to ask Sunggyu if he wanted a place to stay for the night.

"It's alright Jin. I have work tomorrow morning."

"Are you sure?" What if his dad… no I can't think that way.

"Yeah, I've already burdened you too much. I can't burden you anymore."

I lightly slapped him for saying those words again. "Tsk, I said I don't mind."

Sunggyu smiled tonight. A proper, genuine smile and his eyes finally looked relaxed. I smiled back at him and I patted him on the shoulders. "Don't overwork yourself okay? Promise me that too."

"Okay."

The both of us then took another taxi back home and I insisted that the driver dropped Sunggyu off before me despite his protests but I'm not taking no for an answer this time. Sunggyu first.

He thanked me one last time before leaving the taxi and headed straight home. I watched till he went in and was safe back at home before I left. I was really tired, but at least Sunggyu is safe now. For now.

While walking back, I noticed somebody sitting outside my doorstep and the person was dozing off.

"Myung!" I said and he jolted awake.

"Jin!" He stood up and rubbed his eye.

"How long have you been sitting here?"

"Not very long. I just needed to know when you're back safely." He then yawned after saying that and I saw that it's already so late that it's soon going to be dawn.

"I'm sorry Myung." I apologized. He could have been sleeping by now but because I couldn't send one text, I had caused him to worry.

"It's fine. As long as you're fine. I'll head back now. Rest well Jin." He said sleepily and I felt immensely bad.

"I'm really sorry." I called out to him again.

"Don't be." He smiled and waved one last time before walking back him.

I really am sorry Myungsoo. I won't let you worry about me again. I promise.

When I finally lay down on my bed, I had texted Myungsoo a really long text about how I was so occupied with Sunggyu's injury that I couldn't pick up his calls. I apologized over and over again for making him worry and I promise I will make it up to him.

The reply came a little later but I couldn't decipher what Myungsoo was trying to say. He must have been too tired.

Just promise me rheudjfbdkdbsbss

There wasn't even a word to decipher. He must have fallen asleep and still somehow pressed send before knocking out. I laughed at his ridiculous reply and reminded myself to ask him what he really meant before I finally fell asleep on my own.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hey guys! Here's another chapter before I knock out. I am so tired right now I am going to doze off soon but I decided that I wanted to upload a chapter before I konk out hahaha. I know this chapter is a sad one for Sunggyu fans but I think it's essential so I hope you all bear with me!!! A sweet Myungjin chapter though! Please let me know what you think of this chapter and I am so sorry if there's any typos because I am so tired rn so I think I may have missed out the typos. I will check it again when I have the time! 

Have a great weekend guys! Meanwhile, I am dying because I really need sleeppppppp zzzzzz.....