Tea and Cookies Never Tasted So Sweet

Tea and Cookies Never Tasted So Sweet

Kibum yawned quietly into his hand, the other holding the steering wheel as he drove back home from a long day at work. He adjusted the radio station to tune into ‘Blue Night’, hoping to hear the soothing voice of his boyfriend drift around the room. It had been a long day, doing photo shoots with Minho and later on heading to the SM building to rehearse for his next musical.

He found the correct channel eventually, relaxing immediately in his seat as Jonghyun’s voice travelled through the speakers.

“Ah…I’ve been so tired lately, and I haven’t been able to sleep,” the older boy complained lightly, laughing softly at his circumstances.

“I’ve been missing my members…we haven’t done anything all together for a while. Not to mention the fact that I’m coming down with a cold,” he continued, sniffling at the end as if just to further his point.

Key frowned in his seat, pouting slightly as his boyfriend complained. It was true though. The whole of SHINee hadn’t met up for what seemed like forever, only seeing one member every now and then via photo shoots and work related things. But that comment wasn’t what caught Kibum’s attention. His Jonghyun was sick?

“People have been telling me to take a day off if I’m feeling unwell, but I couldn’t leave my listeners upset, so here I am,” Jonghyun kept speaking, Key finally noticing the way his nose sounded blocked when he spoke.

‘That idiot…always putting others before himself,’ Kibum thought to himself, rolling his eyes as a soft smile rested on his lips.

 ‘My poor yeobo.’

“Anyway, sorry for boring you guys with my complaints…This next song is Taeyeon’s ‘I’.” apologized Jjong, the soft melody of Taeyeon’s new song fading in slowly through the speakers.

Kibum drummed his fingers on the wheel to the beat deep in thought. He hadn’t seen Jonghyun in a while, and he missed the older boy like crazy. His warmth, his hugs, his scent, his laugh, and especially his kisses. The feeling of his soft lips moving gently against Kibum’s, a rough hand holding his waist gently whilst the other gently caressed his face. The small pecks he would give the younger boy in between their embraces…He missed it all like crazy.

Just the mere thought of all these things was enough for Key to make up his mind, taking the next turn off into the centre of Seoul where Blue Night was currently being recorded. He drove happily, despite his tiredness, a bright smile gracing his lips as he excitedly anticipated meeting with Jonghyun once again.

Arriving in the city centre, he stopped at a cute café which was usually opened late at night, walking inside hurriedly as he breathed into his hands in attempt to warm them up. He strolled up to the counter with a bounce in his step, smiling at the cashier who seemed to be frozen in her spot.

“H-hi, Key-ssi! What c-can I get you?” the young girl stuttered, a light blush grazing her cheeks.

“Hi! Um…Could I please grab 2 of your chocolate chip cookies and a regular cinnamon tea?” he asked politely, smiling in comfort as her hands shook at the cash register.

“Y-yes…it will be a few minutes,” she replied nervously, punching his order into the register.

“That comes to $10.30,” she spoke, nervously biting her lip as her fists clenched by her side.

“Here you go,” he smiled as he handed her the correct amount, “Don’t be so nervous, I don’t bite.”

The girl let out a small giggle, covering her face with her hand as the other put the cash in the till. She finished the tea within a few minutes and grabbed two cookies using a pair of tongs, slipping them in a paper bag.

“Thank you, Key-ssi!” she said happily, handing over his order with a light blush grazing her cheeks.

“Thank you!” he answered with a grin, taking them from her with a small wink before strutting out of the café.

He hopped back in his car with the tea and cookies sitting in the cup holder between the two front seats. Reversing back onto the road, he turned the radio back on immediately, heart speeding up automatically as Jonghyun’s voice filled his ears.

“Aish, you guys are probably hating me tonight-“

‘Never.’

“-because all I seem to be doing is complaining. But I really do need a cuddle…and a really good cup of tea.”

‘One step ahead of you, yeobo.’

“Why don’t you guys ring in and tell me about how you’re feeling right now. And maybe something about tea,” Jjong suggested, Kibum’s face lighting up as he said it.

‘Perfect.’

Keeping his eyes on the road, Key fished his phone from out of his pocket, and began the attempt to call the number without crashing. It took a few tries, but finally, the correct number was in and he was putting the phone on speaker.

He really wasn’t expecting to get put through. But fate seemed to have other plans. Better plans, if I may.

“Hello, listener. Tell me how you're feeling, and something about tea.”

Key his lips, a small blush covering his cheeks despite the circumstances.

“Hi, Jonghyun-ssi. I’m feeling really tired right now, but also very excited.” Kibum began, changing his voice slightly so listeners and Jonghyun wouldn’t know it was him.

“Wow…you should be asleep. But maybe you can’t because you are so excited. What’s keeping you awake?” replied Jonghyun, curiosity seeping into his voice.

“Well, I was on my way home, but my partner loves tea so I just bought some and I’m bringing it to them now.” answered Kibum, smirking slightly at the predicament.

 “Wow…your girlfriend must be lucky. I wish someone could bring me tea,” the older boy pouted and Key almost laughed out loud at the irony.

“Ah…you never know,” replied Key with a grin, pulling into the Blue Night studio car park as he did so with his fingers drumming against the steering wheel.

 “I really doubt it…Aish, stop getting my hopes up. You really are cruel.” Jonghyun scolded jokingly, his soft laugh sending tingles through Kibum’s body.

He quietly got out of the car with the cookies and warm tea in his hands, closing the door as gently as possible as he made his way up to the back door entrance. He had been here before of course, visiting Jonghyun a few times and appearing on the show station himself.

“I don’t think I’m too cruel. Besides, sometimes if you really hope for something, it comes true,” smiled Kibum mischievously, practically feeling Jonghyun’s scowl through the phone.

“I think I should talk to someone else, you are too cruel.” sulked Jjong, just as Key worked up his courage and knocked on the door gently.

“Oh…wait, someone’s at the door. Be right back, everyone! Maybe I’ll finally have someone better to talk to,” teased Jonghyun, Key biting his lip in anxiousness as he heard footsteps from the other side make their way to the door.

He clenched his fists excitedly, making sure to be careful enough as to not spill the tea anywhere as he rocked back and forth on his heels. The door opened awfully too slow for Kibum’s liking, but as soon as it did he lowered the phone from his ear and launched himself into his boyfriend’s arms.

“Jjongie!” he exclaimed, wrapping his arms around Jjong’s neck and burying his face into his chest.

“B-Bummie, what are you doing here yeobo?!” replied Jonghyun in surprise, however not complaining in the slightest and wrapping his own arms around the taller boy’s waist.

“I was on my way home, but you wanted tea so bad that I brought you some,” spoke Kibum, slightly inaudible as Jonghyun’s shirt muffled his words.

“It was you on the phone?”

“You really haven’t figured it out yet? You are so stupid, Jjongie,” Key laughed, rolling his eyes slightly with a smirk as Jonghyun glowered.

“I’m not! I’m just tired.” retorted the elder, looking the other way as his cheeks tinted red.

“Suuuree,” laughed Key, using his hand to tilt Jonghyun’s head back to face him.

“I love you.” he spoke, holding Jonghyun’s chin gently and gazing into his eyes dreamingly.

“I love you more,” responded Jjong in a whisper, inching his face closer and capturing Kibum’s lips with his own.

Their lips glided against each other’s smoothly, moving rhythmically as Jonghyun’s hands moved down to rest in the curve of Key’s waist. They eventually pulled apart gently with their noses bumping, and Kibum giggled lightly as he removed his arms from around Jjong’s neck to present him with the tea and cookies.

 “Bummie! Why are you so perfect?!” the elder exclaimed, taking the beverage from Kibum’s hand and bringing it to his lips.

“Watch out, babe. It’s hot,” warned Kibum, a smile still lingering on his lips.

Jjong smirked as he took a few gulps from the cup, shooting Key a cheeky look from the corner of his eye.

“Not anymore,” he laughed, his lips hungrily as he took the cookies from Key.

“You are so ungrateful. I could be in bed right now, but I took time out of my precious sleep to visit you with cookies and tea.”

“I know, sorry. You’re the best.” pouted Jonghyun, putting the cookie in his mouth and moving his head forward to offer the other half to Kibum.

Key breathed out a laugh, biting off the cookie as he closed the door behind him.

“Don’t you have a radio show to get back to?”

“I put a song on before I answered the door, but yeah I guess so. God damn it. I just wanna snuggle with my gorgeous boyfriend.” Jjong groaned in reply, crumbs of cookie spitting everywhere.

“You are disgusting. Don’t talk with your mouth full.” scolded Key, crossing his arms over his chest as he made his way to a seat in the studio.

“You’re welcome,” responded Jonghyun sarcastically, rolling his eyes in a playful manner as he brought his tea and cookies back to his chair.

“I’m back, everyone! Sorry, a cute kitten turned up at the door.” laughed Jjong, shooting Key a mischievous look.

“The cute little guy brought me a gift, just what I wanted. So I’m happier now,” he continued, taking another sip from his tea for good measure.

Swallowing his mouthful he suddenly laughed out loud, Kibum blinking in surprise.

“You guys probably think I’m crazy, right?” Jjong laughed, winking at Key cutely across the table causing the latter to roll his eyes.

“Well…he’s making me crazy,” he sung, enjoying every little moment of the private joke as Kibum’s face flushed red in a mix of embarrassment and annoyance.

“Okay, okay…I’ll stop. I know I’m confusing all of you greatly. The truth is, Key just arrived at the door with some cookies and a warm cup of tea so I’m really happy. And we all know he looks like an adorable kitten so it makes sense,” spoke Jjong after a bit of laughter, unable to hear the fangirls inevitably squealing in joy.

“Say hi, Bummie,” prompted Jonghyun, Key scowling lightly with an eye roll before turning on his mic.

“Hello! This is SHINee’s Key!” he introduced brightly, however practically falling asleep on the inside.

“How are you feeling tonight?” Jonghyun asked politely, however really only asking for the listeners’ benefit.

“I’m pretty good, just really tired at the moment though,” replied Key good naturedly, yawning loudly as if to just prove his point.

“Ah, you’re not the only one. I’ll bring you tea and cookies next time, okay?”

“Make it fish and chips and coffee and you’ve got yourself a deal, yeobo.” laughed Kibum in reply, never passing on the opportunity to eat one of his favourite foods.

“Bummie,” whined Jonghyun, pouting cutely at the younger from where he sat. “Fish and chips is too hard to get.”

“But don’t you love me?” questioned Kibum with fake sadness, batting his eyelashes innocently with a smirk as Jonghyun’s eyes widened.

“Of course I do, you idiot! I’ll take you on a fish and chips date tomorrow,” responded Jjong hurriedly, not one to disappoint his beautiful boyfriend.

Key frowned slightly, gesturing to the microphone with wide eyes in a way that the older would notice. Jonghyun blinked once. Then twice. Then mouthed a cuss word before biting his lip anxiously.

“A friend date, you guys! Aish…I know you are all erts.” he covered urgently, attempting to make his voice sound as normal as possible.

“I’ve been talking for so long already…how about another song?” he suggested awkwardly, filing through the ones he had prepared as he did so.

“Here’s one I think you’ll enjoy…Please listen with kind ears and I’ll be back soon!” Jjong chirped, before turning off the mics and turning to Key with a bashful smile resting on his lips.

“Oops.” he laughed light heartedly, taking his headphones off and walking over to Kibum’s seat.

“I guess I should be more careful,” he commented, standing behind Key’s chair and placing his hands on the younger’s shoulders.

“Not that I want to…I don’t understand why we have to hide.”

“You know very well why,” replied Key, the mood in the room suddenly dampening.

“I want to scream to the world that I have the most beautiful boyfriend in the world…and that I am happy with him. If we’re happy, why should it matter to other people?”

“It shouldn’t…but it does. I love being an idol and everything, but if we weren’t maybe we would’ve been able to have an open relationship. Now, our business is their business.”

“Don’t talk like that, yeobo. If we weren’t idols, we never would have met. I never would have felt this happy…I would never be complete.” spoke Jonghyun, slowly massaging the knots out of Key’s neck and shoulders.

“Aish, the mood is so dark now. Why are we talking about this? We are idols and that’s that. Keep it a secret and everyone’s happy.”

“Well I’m not! And neither are you, Bummie. Let’s tell them. Let’s announce it right now on Blue Night.”

“Don’t kid around Jonghyun. I’m tired and besides, we all know the consequences.”

“I’m not kidding. I don’t care about the consequences, isn’t it about time we do something for ourselves? S.M can get stuffed for all I care…I love you more than anything and it’s not like we’ll lose all our fans anyway. Half of them ship us, for Christ’s sake!”

“Jjong…stop, please. You’re tired and you’re not thinking straight. I know for a fact that if we announced it tonight you’d regret it in the morning. I want this just as much as you do, but I have to be realistic.” mumbled Key, burying his face into his hands and rubbing his eyes exhaustedly.

“W-what if we…drop hints or something? And then if somebody asks, we don’t deny it. At least then people will have time to get used to the idea.” pleaded Jonghyun, still digging his hands into Kibum’s shoulders gently as his eyelids drooped.

“Hints? Like what though?” questioned Key curiously, tilting his head slightly to shoot Jonghyun a questioning look.

“Hmm, I don’t know. Like…play a song which suggests something, or casually mention dates in interviews. Just small things like that.” replied Jonghyun, making his eyes slightly bigger and giving Kibum his best puppy dog eyes.

“I guess…I guess it wouldn’t be too bad. If we did it like that, I mean.” stuttered Key after a moment, nodding his head slowly as his mind got used to the idea.

“You’re serious? 100% sure?” exclaimed Jjong in surprise, double checking his boyfriend’s decision in concern.

A small smile fluttered onto Kibum’s face as he stood up and pulled Jonghyun into a warm hug, breathing in the older male’s scent.

“100 percent.”

 

“Hey everyone, welcome back! Did you enjoy that song? I hope so, but it’s fine if you didn’t because there’s another great one I want to show you,” Jonghyun spoke as the song came to a close, turning the microphones back on after returning to their seats.

“Key loves it too…don’t you ‘Bum?” he added as an afterthought, looking at Kibum smugly with raised eyebrows.

“N-neh…I think it holds a really important message that more people should come to understand.”

“My point exactly. Please have a listen with an open mind.” Jjong agreed, pressing play and sitting back in his seat with a sigh.

‘Same Love’ by Macklemore began to blast through the speakers of all Jonghyun’s listeners, Kibum and Jjong both biting their lips anxiously as the mics were muted.

“The show only goes for another 15 minutes…We can go home soon, yeobo. Don’t worry.”

“I’m so exhausted…I’ve been doing photo shoots all day with Minho. The stupid frog probably got home an hour ago.” complained the diva, running his hand through his hair wearily.

“You can sleep at mine if you want…It’s closer.” suggested Jonghyun, yawning loudly as he stretched his arms.

Kibum nodded gratefully, slowly standing up and trudging his way over to the older boy. He dropped onto his lap not so gratefully, Jonghyun instinctively wrapping his arms around Key’s waist and resting his chin on his shoulder.

“Do you have a schedule tomorrow?” Key asked tiredly, closing his eyes and dropping his head against Jonghyun’s.

“Nope…only at midnight.” he replied warmly, burying his face against Kibum’s neck and placing light kisses on the pale skin.

“We should spend all day at your place then, with fish and chips and cuddles on the couch. It will be just like a date,” suggested the younger, smiling contently at the thought of a day long date with his boyfriend.

“That sounds perfect.”

“Like me?” questioned Key cheekily against Jonghyun’s ear, his adorable dimples showing brightly as he smiled.

“No. Nothing’s as perfect as you, Bummie.”

Kibum’s face turned a bright shade of red before he placed a loving kiss on Jjong’s cheek.

“It’s alright Jjongie…I already know.”