Happily Ever After...

Alice in Wonderland

There was her reflection in the mirror, but she dared not take a look at it. Her heart was still uncertain about her decision. Staring down at her feet, she sighed. There were many things running wild in her mind.

“Are you ready?” the bridal shop assistant asked.

Min shook her head, “No, just give me another minute to calm myself down.”

The bridal shop assistant nodded and decided to leave the dressing room. But before she left, she turned around and said, “Take your time, sweetie. It’s normal for bride-to-be to feel nervous and frighten. It is depend on how you see it. Once you’re able to see through it, you won’t feel stressed anymore.”

And now, being alone in the room, Min dared herself to look into the mirror. Tears suddenly started to accumulate in her eyes. Yes, she looked beautiful. She had never thought of herself looking so stunning elegant and beautiful in wedding dress. It was an off-the-shoulder three-quarter sleeve trumpet gown with beaded lace and button back. It fit her really well and she was trill. Just then, another thought came into her mind.

Freedom!!!

Yes, all the freedom she has now will disappear once she tied the knot with Kyungsoo. She will not be able to hang out with her friends whenever she likes, or hiking with her buddies, or Zumba with her gang, or does anything at any time she wants! She hated to be tied or controlled by somebody. She didn’t want to have any commitment or commit herself to anyone yet.

Now, when she came to think about it, she was actually forced to accept this marriage arrangement! Her mother accepted Kyungsoo’s proposal and asked her to marry him without consulting or even asked her whether she like it or not. All this happened too sudden that she didn’t even have the time to prepare herself to face it.

Min couldn’t blame her mother for hurrying her in getting married. She is now 31 years old. Yes, in Asian countries, women who were over 30 and yet not married would be the hot topic in family gathering. Everyone would be asking the same question, “When are you going to get married and have children ?” And that is what Min hates to hear every time she went home during festival seasons. But, this time it was not her mother that push her into this marriage! It was because of Kyungsoo who went to her mother and asked for her hand in marriage!

Once again, Min looked at herself in the mirror. She saw a girl with worries in her eyes.  Slowly, Min took a deep breathe. After seven years together, does she has to feel insecure in marrying Kyungsoo ? Together they had gone through a lot to grow and learn to be better person. Shouldn’t she give Kyungsoo to prove himself to her for once?

When the curtain was pulled, everyone couldn’t hold back their shocked, especially Kyungsoo. His eyes were as big as the gold fish’s eyes!

“You look superb in this wedding dress, Min!” Kyungsoo whispered into her ears, leaving her blushing like a red tomato.

 

X                                         X                                        X

 

For two years Kyungsoo kept noticed the girl sitting behind him. She never talked to anyone except when others needed her help, other than that, she would just stayed in her own place, doing her own work. He found her interesting and mysterious in some way.

“I can’t understand her at all. She seems to like being alone. What a weirdo she is?” That was what he heard about her when he first joined the company. And everyone in the office had created a nickname for her – Alice in Wonderland.

Why Alice in Wonderland, you may ask. Well there was a reason for it. Her name was Seo Min @ Alice Seo. And the land where everyone loves to indulge in is called wonderland. Hence, after combining her name and wonderland, the end result was Alice in Wonderland.

Kyungsoo got up from his seat and walked to her desk. “Good morning,” he said with a smile. She looked up to him with surprise.

“Have you had your breakfast?”

“Why?” she asked him with questions jamming in her mind. He had never bother about her existence before this and today came and asked her whether she had had her breakfast? So strange, she thought.

Kyungsoo showed off his boyish smile and answered, “Actually I had tried out a few recipes and I needed a tester for it, and if you don’t mind, would you taste it for me?”

“Oh,” Min nodded.

Seeing her agreed to be his tester, Kyungsoo was over the moon. At last, there is someone to criticise his baking and cooking skills. He had waited for this day to arrive for a very long time. His love for baking and cooking was stem by his grandma. He spent his childhood staying with his grandma in the countryside. Whenever there was a festival, he would be there to help his grandma in making cookies and preparations. And now, even though he was living by himself in the city, he could not stop himself from trying out and creating new recipes.

“Sure, I would be glad to be among the first to taste your cookies.” Min took a cookie and tasted it. Her eyes were belated.

“Oh my, this is delicious. It tastes great, seriously.” Min couldn’t stop herself from finishing all in the plate. It was too tasty.

Looking at how Min reacted to his cookies, Kyungsoo knew for once he had the potential to start a business in the future. Then he knew there must be many trials and errors before he could succeed. Till then, he would not give up and continue his hard work on horning his skills.

Since that day, whenever Kyungsoo made a batch of biscuits or cookies or brought over his cooking, Min would not hesitate to taste them and give him her opinion or suggestions to improve the recipe. And slowly, both of them became closer and closer without them realising. Those around them noticed it but they decided to keep quiet and watch the fun.

 

X                               X                               X

 

Two years passed

“Why did you reject my proposal?” Kyungsoo asked. He wanted an answer from her for not accepting his love. After spending two years together, he had certain that she was his choice of partner. She had met all his expectation – kind hearted, soft-spoken and most of all, love all his cooking!

Min shook her head in disagreement. “I can’t!”

“Why? What’s the problem?”

She was too ashamed to tell him the truth. She had grown wide from 55kg to 95kg in just two years! And now she was trying hard to be slim again. She knew she couldn’t put all the blame on Kyungsoo. She had herself to blame, if she didn’t crazy over those cookies and food, she would not end up like this. Standing next to him just made her felt even worst.

No, she would not believe in those saying of opposite attracts, in her case, a thin boy fall for a fat girl. And one important fact, she didn’t plan to get married at such a young age! She still has many bucket lists to tick, if she get married now, she would never have all her dreams come true, never!

“Min, could you please tell me what’s the problem in reject me?” Kyungsoo begged for a response.

“Kyungsoo, I’m no match to you. I do believe that there are many suitable girls out there waiting for you. Just don’t put your hope on me.” Min left after saying those words.

For days Min shut off her handphone and left Kyungsoo wrecking his head for what had he done to make Min avoiding him. And the moment he saw her entered the office, he rushed to her and asked, “Why didn’t you pick up my call and answer my messages?”

Without looking straight into his eyes, Min lied, “I had sent my handphone to repair.” Her phone was in her handbag but for the past few days, she just couldn’t bring herself to face him. She needed time for herself to think about all that had happened.

Since her weight reached 95kg, she tried her very best in bringing the figure down. She jogged around the lake every evening with her roomates, went for swimming every weekend, went for rock-climbing every month with her buddies. With so many activities, she was able to bring her weight down to 75kg.

“Here’s a new handphone for you.” Kyungsoo handed Min a box. She looked at him with surprised. Slowly she opened the box, oh my, she thought, it was a Samsung Galaxy Note! Feeling really touched by his gesture, Min said,

“I’ll marry you if I can reduce another 20kg!”

“Alright, deal!” Kyungsoo jumped in excitement.

 

X                               X                               X

 

Ding Dong!

Hearing the doorbell rang, Mrs Seo rushed to check out who was the guest.

“Yes? May I know who are you looking for?” Mrs Seo asked after seeing a young and smartly dressed young man standing in front of her door.

“Good morning, Mrs Seo, I’m Do Kyungsoo. I’m here to discuss something important with you today.” Kyungsoo answered politely.

Mrs Seo invited him into the house, and went to prepare some drinks for him.

“Thank you Mrs Seo. Actually, the reason I come today is to ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage.”

“Are you serious?” Mrs Seo was too shocked to hear it. She didn’t know that her wish to see her daughter get married would come true so soon.

Kyungsoo nodded his head. “Yes, Mrs Seo. I’m serious and totally sane. Your daughter had made a deal with me saying that once she had her weight dropped to 55kg, she would marry me.”

Knowing that Mrs Seo would ask him about the details, he started telling her without her asking.

“It was like this, Mrs Seo. Once she made the deal with me, I signed her up for a weight-loss program where she has a personal trainer and dietician. Both of them trained her on how to work out and have a balance diet even though she was on a diet. Then, with the help of Zumba classes, swimming and rock/mountain-climbing activities, she was able to lose weight. And most of all, it was her determination that made her succeeded in reducing her weight. And for your information Mrs Seo, Min doesn’t know that I’m coming today asking for her hand in marriage. I keep it secret from her.”

From the short conversation with Kyungsoo, Mrs Seo knew for once he was the right choice for her daughter. She found her a responsible and caring person. She looked at the young man in front of her and smiled. She was too happy for her daughter to have found such good man to be her partner for the rest of her life. If she was to die now, she would not have any regret or worry as her daughter is in safe hand.

“Looks like we have a guest today?” everyone turned and found Mr Seo had returned from his night shift as security officer at a bank. Mrs Seo then asked her husband to sit beside her.

“Good morning Mr Seo. I’m Do Kyungsoo and I’m here is to ask you for Min’s hand in marriage.” Kyungsoo greeted and gave him a 90° bow.

Mr Seo nodded and said, “Well, I’ll only let my daughter marry you if you can promise me three rules. Are you willing to do so?”

Without any hesitation, Kyungsoo replied yes.

Mr Seo then listed down his three rules, “One, you must only love her and if I found out you flirt with other girls, I’ll let you suffer. Two, never ever make her cry or I’ll make you cry for your action. Three, you must be by her side no matter what happen, support and care for her.”

“I promise you, Mr Seo, I’ll never break any of the rules.”

Mr Seo stopped him from finishing his sentence, “Theirs is another extra rule before you could marry her.”

Mrs Seo and Kyungsoo exchanged look before returned their attention to Mr Seo. Mr Seo cleared his throat and said, “You must be able to win me in drinking soju and taekwondo.” Hearing her husband was to drink his liver out, she wanted to protest but was stopped by him.

“No worry, I know what I’m doing now.” He reassured Mrs Seo.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and agreed to Mr Seo’s conditions. No matter what challenges in front of him, he would take it. He would do anything to win his loved one’s hand. And he had determined to win in every way he could, as he would not be able to live without her in his life, even for just a second.

 

X                               X                               X

 

When the door opened, the mini band started their music and standing at the end of the aisle was Kyungsoo, smartly dressed in his black suit, waiting for her. Everyone in the hall was eager to see her walk towards him.

Min turned and looked at her father. She could see tears in his eyes. Slowly, she used her hand to wipe off the droplets of tears from his face. “Father, please don’t cry. Today is my big day, you should be happy and smile.”

Mr Seo tried to keep his emotion under control. “I’ll not cry, sweetie. I promise.”

In a second, she noticed her father had grown old. His hair is no longer black and his face is no longer smooth as a baby. Years had passed and he must have gone through a lot to make him an old man with wrinkles. And many moons ago, she found this very old man drunk in his taekwondo suit, laid next to Kyungsoo, when she came back from work. If it was not because of her, he would not force himself to drink a cartoon of soju.

Min could vividly remember the first time her father taught her how to drink. “Girls must know how to drink, for your own safety. You won’t fall into those wolves’ trap once you know how to drink.” And she could remember her first sip of soju at the bar in their neighbourhood, it was so hard on .

And the same very old man taught her to be independent. “You must be strong, even though you are a woman. Never depend on anyone, but yourself. No one will be able to stay with you forever. Everyone will die one day. So, you have to know how to take care of yourself and be responsible for your every action.”

He was the superman in her life. No one could replace him in her heart, Min was very sure of it.

“Don’t be mad at Kyungsoo. He was doing the right thing at the right time. If he never had the courage to ask me for your hand, you will have to live by yourself for the rest of your life. You’re no longer young and age is catching up with you. Now is the right time for you to settle down.” Mr Seo explained knowing her daughter was terribly angry with his future son-in-law.

Min was really mad at Kyungsoo for asking her to marry him without prior notifying her. His action was selfish. He never ask her whether she was ready to settle down or most of all, whether she loves him or not!

Yes, she knew she was over 30, but she didn’t have the plan to slow down yet. She still loves to be single and not attached to anyone. She loves to have all her free time to herself, doing whatever she had in her mind. She had heard enough of stories of how suffering it would be after marriage. She didn’t wish to go through that. And there was one thing that made her re-think whether he was her type, he was five years younger than her.

“Sweetie, age is just a number. Will you be happy if he is older, but not mature or responsible? He might be younger than you, but from my observation, he is mature enough to be your partner. Trust me, he is the right choice, you didn’t make a mistake at all.” Mr Seo reassured her after hearing her worries.

A slight pat on her hand brought Min back from her thoughts.

“It’s time, are you ready?” Mr Seo asked. Min didn’t say a word but nodded.

Slowly and carefully, she took a step and another towards Kyungsoo. She saw his charming smile welcoming her. Yes, at this very moment, she knew she had made the right move. She is marrying a man that loves her more than she loves him. He was the man that would present her a new handphone when she lied that her handphone was out of function, when the fact was she just being lazy to pick up calls or reply messages. Just yesterday, he gave her an iPhone for that. She wondered how he would react when he knew the truth, well, only god knows. He was the man that would let her be herself, doing funny things when she was down. He was the man that stood by her side when there was an emergency. And the list goes on.

Min didn’t know what was happening around her when her father gave her hand to him. All she knew was her heart was beating fast, at a speed she never had experienced before in her life. She only came to her senses when she heard Kyungsoo saying,

 “I, Do Kyungsoo, take you, Seo Min @ Alice Seo, to be my wife, and I promise before God and these witnesses, to be your loving and faithful husband. I will be by your side to share with you your happiness and success, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and disappointment. As your companion, I will seek to be open and honest with you, to forgive you as Christ has forgiven me, and to always remind you of the Lord’s plans and promises. Forever I devoted my love and my life to you from this day forward.”

The priest then looked at Min and asked, “Do you, Seo Min @ Alice Seo, accept Do Kyungsoo as your partner?”

“Yes, I do.” Min said looking at Kyungsoo.

“I, Seo Min @ Alice Seo, take you, Do Kyungsoo, to be my husband, and I promise before God and these witnesses, to be your loving and faithful wife. I will be by your side to share with you your happiness and success, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and disappointment. As your companion, I will seek to be open and honest with you, to forgive you as Christ has forgiven me, and to always remind you of the Lord’s plans and promises. Forever I devoted my love and my life to you from this day forward.”

 

 

 

 

#                     #                     #                     #                     #

This is my first time writing everything in just one chapter…I do hope the flow is okay for you guys…

This fanfics is written based on my friend, Kak Min’s real life experience…she got married last year and just delivered a baby boy in September…

And thus I would like to thank those who had helped and supported me in completing this chapter…thank you so much and may you succeed in everything you do in your life…^^

Feel free to drop me a line…