Boo

See-Through

I signed up to be a pinch writer in case anyone couldn't finish their fic, and got a very open prompt, so this is what I came up with LOL I hope you like it <3


 

Wonsik dropped the last of the boxes on his new bed, sighing and sitting down next to them with enough force to bounce a bit.  He surveyed what was now his bedroom, feeling a tired satisfaction that it was his.  It was a small house, and not in the best shape, but he would work on fixing it up soon.  The previous owner had apparently gone missing mysteriously, and the house had been left to rot.  It wasn’t too bad, but it was enough to make the house affordable for Wonsik, which was all he cared about.

His friends who had helped him move had just left, taking their annoying chatter (namely Hakyeon and Jaehwan), sassiness (mostly Sanghyuk), and random bursts of anger (that one was all Taekwoon) with them.  The peaceful quiet they left behind was almost unsettling to Wonsik.  He rubbed his hands over his arms as he felt a sudden chill, goosebumps raising along his skin at the chilly draft. 

Determined to get settled into his new home tonight, Wonsik dragged himself back to his feet to start unpacking some of his necessities.  He got out the clothes he would need for the night and the next day, including the hats he would wear throughout the day.  After that he dragged his bathroom supplies into the bathroom connected to his bedroom.  It was small, as bathrooms go, but it had a toilet, sink,  and shower and that was all he needed.  He was setting up his toothbrush and toothpaste on the sink when he heard a noise from the bedroom.

Wondering if one of his friends had forgotten something and come back to get it, he poked his head back out into the bedroom.  After looking around and seeing no one, he noticed that the boxes he’d set on the bed were now on the floor, as if they’d fallen.  They must’ve been jostled off when he stood to unpack.  Shrugging to himself, Wonsik went back to setting out his shower stuff.  He didn’t think anymore about it.

The next day, when he woke up and went to the bathroom to shower and brush his teeth, he noticed that now all of his bathroom necessities were scattered about, even though he had carefully set them out the night before.  He blinked blearily at all of his stuff thrown about, not quite awake enough to process what had happened.  Despite the unlikelihood of his friends breaking into his house to mess up his stuff, he couldn’t help but think that maybe they had done it.  He wouldn’t put anything past Hakyeon and Jaehwan—they were dangerous when left alone to scheme.  Deciding he would ask them about it later, he straightened up and went about his very groggy morning routine.  

By the time he had lunch with his friends, he’d almost forgotten about it.  He was steadily working his way through his second plate of food and steadfastly ignoring (or attempting to ignore) the way that Hakyeon kept trying to feed Taekwoon bits of his food.  Jaehwan was laughing loudly about something Sanghyuk had said—a normal day for them, really.  It wasn’t till Jaehwan managed to knock the napkin dispenser off the table and it landed with a loud, metallic crash on the floor that Wonsik remembered what had happened that morning and the night before.

“Hey,” he said through a mouthful of food, though one pointed look from Hakyeon had him swallowing it before continuing, “None of you guys came back to my house last night after you left, did you?”

Hakyeon frowned in confusion, “No?  Why are you asking?”

“No reason,” Wonsik muttered, “Just some odd stuff happened, and I thought it might’ve been you guys screwing with me.”

“Odd?” Taekwoon asked in that whisper soft voice of his, narrowing his eyes at Wonsik, as if he were trying to see what Wonsik meant by that via his sharp-eyed gaze.

Wonsik shrugged, “Some of my stuff fell over, and it looked like someone threw my toothbrush and stuff all over the bathroom.  I dunno.”

“Why would we want to wreck your bathroom?” Sanghyuk asked, looking slightly offended, “I don’t know about these other hyungs, but I have better things to do with my time.”

Ignoring the yelp that Sanghyuk gave after Hakyeon poked him in the side, Wonsik returned to eating, deciding that maybe he was thinking too much into it.  There were a lot of reasonable explanations for what had happened.  These reasonable explanations were A-OK with him until Jaehwan had to go and open his big mouth.

“Ooooh, what if your new house is haunted?” he asked, looking excited.  

Wonsik’s face went blank and he paled.  Ghost?  He hadn’t even thought of that.  He hadn’t wanted to think of that.  Ghosts didn’t exist… right?

“Ghosts don’t exist, silly,” Hakyeon laughed, before he spotted the look on Wonsik’s face, “Wonsik?  Are you okay?  You don’t look so good.”  He pursed his lips before giving Jaehwan a pointed look that very obviously said “you need to keep your mouth shut.”  Jaehwan happily ignored him.

Hakyeon gave Wonsik a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry about this idiot, okay?  It can’t be a ghost because ghosts don’t exist, right, Taekwoonie?” he turned his smile to the other, though Taekwoon only raised an eyebrow and said nothing.  Hakyeon frowned at him with a look that translated into “you’re supposed to back me up here.”

On a regular day, Wonsik would’ve found that silent interaction amusing and maybe a little bit gross and mushy, but right at that moment he was too busy fretting over whether his house had an unwelcome, ghostly occupant.  He worried about it all the way home, though he tried his best to remember what Hakyeon had said.  He had almost convinced himself that Hakyeon had to be right, but then he opened the door to his new house and saw the wreckage that had been made of all his stuff.

Well, it wasn’t as bad as all that, he discovered after he got over his shock and really looked at the mess his living room was in.  Nothing was broken or torn up—just tossed around.  It looked a little bit like a herd of toddlers had come stampeding through and had gotten everything out of the boxes and thrown them around the room.  Wonsik sighed, frustrated, and ran his hands through his hair, which caused it to stick up in odd ways.

“If there is a ghost here, then why the hell are they trying to make me miserable?” he grumbled to himself, before growling loudly at the empty, messy room, “Ghost who may or may not exist, please go away and leave me alone—or at least stop being such a jerk!”

“Excuse you,” someone said from above him, sounding offended, “I was here first.  If anyone should go away, it’s you.”

Wonsik froze, his hands halfway back down to his sides.  The voice had come from above him, which seemed to be impossible, as above him was only the ceiling.  He almost didn’t want to look, but curiosity got the best of him.  He finally glanced up, dreading what he would see.

At first it wasn’t as bad as he was expecting.  Sure, there was someone hanging upside down from the ceiling—half out of the ceiling, to be exact—but at least he was handsome.  When Wonsik thought of ghosts, he usually thought of the really creepy or gory ghosts.  This ghost was not scary at all as ghosts go.  He was actually so handsome as to almost be a work of art.  A spectral work of art.

Still, though, it was a ghost, and once that thought caught up with Wonsik, he had a very minor freak out.  A scream may have gotten stuck in his throat, and he may have out for a moment.

“Are you dead?” someone asked curiously.  

Wonsik refused to open his eyes.  No, he was not in denial.

“If you are, you’re not allowed to haunt this house—you hear me?  There’s only room for one ghost in this house, and I was here first,” the ghost sounded almost bored now.  His voice was also quite a bit closer.

That realization caused Wonsik to finally crack one eye open, terrified of what he would see.  It was almost enough to send him off to dreamland again.

The (surprisingly handsome) ghost was hovering very, very closely above Wonsik, close enough that if he were to sit up even slightly, their faces would be smushed together.  The only issue with that would be that since the other was a ghost, Wonsik’s face would just go right through his.  Wonsik wasn’t sure why that bothered him, but it did.  He decided to think about it later, when a ghost wasn’t just a few inches from him.

Seeing Wonsik’s eyes open, the ghost smiled.  Wonsik gulped loudly, staring intensely at the dimple that had exposed itself.  The ghost had a dimple.  Wonsik wasn’t sure what to do with that information.

“Oh good, you’re not dead.  I was afraid I might be stuck with your ghost forever, or something,” he chuckled, reaching out to pat Wonsik on the cheek.  All he felt was a slight chill in the area the ghost was touching.

He most definitely didn’t flinch.  

oOo

Living with a ghost was… interesting.  Wonsik felt exposed in his own house—he never knew when the ghost was going to jump out at him through a wall.  For some reason it usually seemed to happen when he was showering or changing clothes.  The ghost, whose name he found out was Hongbin, liked to hover nearby and stare wistfully at Wonsik’s food whenever he was eating.  For the most part, Hongbin stopped tossing Wonsik’s stuff around, but he still liked to mess with Wonsik, usually in small ways like pushing the remote for the TV just out of reach, or hiding his toothbrush.  

After a week or so, Wonsik even kind of got used to it.  He was no longer scared of Hongbin (no matter how the ghost mocked him whenever he jumped or flinched at a sudden appearance through a wall/floor/ceiling) and even found the ghost’s company kind of… nice.  He wouldn’t admit it to Hongbin, and he was pretty sure Hongbin liked having company as well—the ghost was even less likely to admit it than Wonsik, though, so he wasn’t holding his breath.

Wonsik wisely stayed away from discussion of how Hongbin had died and come to haunt the house.  Anytime he had gotten anywhere near that conversation, Hongbin had clammed up and refused to talk, usually acting very distant for the rest of the day.  Wonsik assumed it hadn’t been pleasant and left it at that.  

Instead they talked about anything and everything else.  They talked about their love of music and how ridiculous Jaehwan was.  Since Wonsik’s friends were over to his new house quite a bit, Hongbin got to know them as well, though for the time being he hadn’t decided to grace them with his ghostly presence.  They both agreed that the mushy PDA between Hakyeon and Taekwoon was gross and uncalled for, and that Sanghyuk was too young to be witnessing such things.

They had a lot in common, and could usually talk about just about anything for hours.  Likewise, they were also happy to just sit (or float, in Hongbin’s case) in the same room in companionable silence.  Sometimes Wonsik would sit and work on composing some songs while Hongbin listened, or they would sit on the couch and watch TV together.

One day, though, Wonsik came back from work to find that Hongbin wasn’t anywhere in the house—at least not that he could see.  He wasn’t worried at first, but after several hours and no Hongbin, he started to fret.

“Hongbin?” he called, going from room to room.  After another hour with no Hongbin, he was afraid that maybe Hongbin had finally moved on to the other side—whatever that was.  Maybe Hongbin had taken care of whatever he was stuck here for and had left this plane of existence.

Wonsik was surprised to find that the idea of that made him sad.  He’d gotten so used to having Hongbin there all the time that thinking about daily life without the ghost there depressed him, almost to the point of curling up on the bed and crying—and Wonsik didn’t just lie down and cry when life gave him lemons.  

Sitting on the bed and telling himself that everything would be fine—Hongbin was just a ghost after all, and probably a figment of his imagination anyways because did ghosts even exist?—Wonsik came to the sudden and startling realization that Hongbin meant something to him.  He wasn’t sure what Hongbin meant to him—were they just really good friends or something more?  

He would never know now.

Wonsik was so busy wallowing in self pity and thoughts of what might have been that he didn’t notice Hongbin casually descending from the ceiling.

“Boo,” Hongbin said cheerfully, right next to his ear.

Wonsik cursed and practically flipped off the bed, “Hongbin, what the hell?!”

The cute, dimpled ghost grinned cheekily, “Gotcha!  What were you thinking about?  You looked like you were in pain.  I thought I told you that you might hurt yourself if you thought too hard—you should be careful.”

Wonsik scowled at Hongbin, though he was mostly upset about the fact that he felt tears welling in his eyes rather than Hongbin startling him.

“Shut up,” he grunted, looking away so Hongbin wouldn’t see his watery eyes (which was of course because he’d bumped his elbow when he fell off the bed and had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he’d missed Hongbin).

“Where have you been, anyways?” he asked.  He was still looking away so he didn’t see Hongbin’s pleased smirk.

“Missed me, huh?” he gloated, his smirk turning into a full-out grin when Wonsik started trying to deny that, “Mm-hm, sure.  Keep telling yourself that, babe.  Anyway, I was out visiting some of my ghost friends—yes, I do have friends, don’t look so surprised.  We ghosts gotta stick together.  Plus we like to come up with more ways to scare people—it’s fun.”

As Hongbin carried on telling him about his adventures with his ghost friends, Wonsik came to yet another realization.

He liked a ghost, and said ghost was probably going to make his life very complicated and interesting, mostly likely in the less fun meaning of the word.

And he didn’t even mind.

 


 

a lot shorter than my other fic, but I had less time, so sorry about that 8'D I hope you enjoyed it anyways!  Also, here is my fabulous outline for this little fic ;D I'm the best at making outlines yo

 

OUTLINE:

  • Ravi moves into new house
  • Everything is normal till stuff starts happening
  • stuff falls over? gets moved around
  • annoying stuff
  • Ravi at first thinks it’s his friends screwing with him
  • They’re like “nah man we didn’t do it maybe ur house is haunted”
  • Ravi is like “pssh nah bro u cray”
  • Then he catches Hongbin up to mischief
  • Ravi’s like ?????? and freaks out a lil
  • Hongbin turns out to be kinda cool
  • They become friends 
  • Hongbin is stupidly cute and Ravi is like ??? my hearteu???
  • Ghost adventures?
  • Profit.

Thank you so much for reading!  And I hope everyone has some very Happy Holidays <3