06.12.2015 (Winter Blues)

Winter Wonderland

Himchan sighed, he didn't know how much time passed since he had started looking out of the window, staring at nothing in particular. It was dark outside and it was raining which was nothing special because it was an everyday sight during winter. His routine was the same every day: waking up, leaving the house in the dark, spending the whole day locked up in his office and going back home in the dark. He doesn't remember when he had seen proper daylight the last time. On his table was a glass of wine, his only solace these days.

It would probably take another few months until the days would get brighter again, Himchan wasn't sure if he could deal with it for so long. Over the years it had gotten worse, he hadn't been affected by the cold season when he was a teenager but the more time he spent working and being busy, the more it influenced his free time. As a child he would get sparkling eyes at the thought of snow, he would play with his friends, build snowmen and have snowball fights. But now the white sparkling crystals have lost their magic. Snow meant slippery side walks and muddy mountains of snow that would stain his clothes.

Himchan hated the winter.

The door opened, Himchan didn't need to turn around to know that it was Yongguk who entered the house. Yongguk was busier than ever with his work and they barely shared a good night kiss before it was time for them to rest for the next day. Maybe that was another reason why Himchan felt so gloomy. But Yongguk was home early today, and the change of routine ripped Himchan out of his trance. An apologetic look was on Yongguk's face, it always was and on his forehead were deep wrinkles from the deep frown that was engraved on his features.

Yongguk held 2 boxes of pizza, Himchan didn't allow himself a lot of it but it was his favourite. It was comfort food and the smell of it made his stomach gurgle. They spent their evening in front of the TV, watching a cheesy romance and washing down their greasy pizza with red wine. Himchan still hated the winter but he fell asleep on Yongguk's stomach, surrounded by a warmth that seemed to melt his frozen spirits. If winter was cuddling on their sofa with comfort food and heart warming films, maybe he would be able to get through the cold months more easily.