04.12.2015 (Winter Date)

Winter Wonderland

It had been one year since Daehyun and Youngjae had met for the first time and just a little bit less since they started dating. Everything had gone so fast but Daehyun didn't regret a single moment of it. Fate had brought them together in the first snow where Youngjae had walked into him late at night in the park, just when he was building a snowman.

They hit it off right away and met again the following day. One meeting became a dozen, a subtle brush of their shoulders became their first kiss. Daehyun still got butterflies in his stomach when he thought about it. Everything was perfect. It wasn't their anniversary yet but it had just started to snow and he wanted to take out Youngjae on a date.

In the last 12 months, they had made significant memories together and today, Daehyun wanted to relive a few of them through a romantic date. Youngjae was someone who liked to share a lot of love and today Daehyun would let all his love rain down on the other. Daehyun got ready early in the morning to prepare everything with the help of his best friend Junhong who volunteered to wait for Daehyun's message for the 'final act' of the day.

At exactly 1pm, Daehyun rang on Youngjae's doorbell, waiting nervously for the other to open the door. In his pockets were heat packs, a set for him and another set for Youngjae. Youngjae came out just a few seconds after, Daehyun heard banging noises, followed by a shout of curses before he was face to face with his lover. Youngjae's cheeks were red with embarrassment and he rubbed his knee.

Did you run into something again?” Daehyun mocked. Youngjae shot him a death glare but when he saw Daehyun's affectionate smile he smiled as well. “I stumbled over your shoes,” Youngjae murmured, Daehyun laughed. Youngjae had always been like that, very neat but careless when he was in a hurry and it was one of hundreds of things Daehyun liked about him. Daehyun pressed a kiss on the other's cheek and he noticed that he wasn't the only one who had spent a lot of time in the bathroom this morning. Despite being covered by yet another beanie, Youngjae's bangs were styled neatly and he smelled like the perfume that Daehyun loved so much. He smiled.

Where are we going?” Youngjae asked as he wrapped his scarf tightly around his neck. “It's a surprise,” Daehyun sing-sang. Youngjae wasn't a patient person but he didn't say anything. On their first date, just one day after they had run into each other in the park, they went to the movies together. It was one of those super romantic Japanese films and the couple of the film shared their first kiss when they were ice skating. Although it hadn't been like that for them, Daehyun still remembered how Youngjae had been biting his lips and lowering his gaze to his lap when this scene played. They were going to go ice skating as the first part of the day, Daehyun wondered how long Youngjae would need to pick up on the schedule of the day.

Daehyun hadn't been ice-skating since he was a kid and he wasn't sure for how long he was able to keep himself up on the ice but it didn't matter to him. He was in the middle of his twenties and if Youngjae smiled when he fell on his then it was worth it. And if the other fell first he would help him up and wrap him into his arms, most likely right after he was done laughing. Youngjae opened his mouth in awe when he realized where they were heading.

When they arrived, Daehyun gave his lover his heat packs, knowing it would be even colder once they were on the ice. Daehyun had made sure that it wouldn't be crowded when they were there, it was in the middle of the week and all kids and teenager were still at school. Only a few families were there but apart from that, they had a lot of space for themselves. They skated a few rounds, hand in hand, first they were hesitant and wobbly on their legs but the confidence came soon and they raced each other. Youngjae won the race.

With rosy cheeks they arrived at the restaurant Daehyun had reserved a table. It was 3pm, they were on time and the table was set just the way Daehyun wanted. Daehyun helped Youngjae out of his jacket and lead him to the table like a real gentleman. Youngjae's eyes were shining so brightly, it set off a wonderful fire inside of Daehyun's heart. They sat down and Daehyun took the other's hand, rubbing his thumb over the soft skin. A waitress came and placed 2 glasses of Singapore Sling on the table, they thanked her.

Youngjae looked at the glass in front of him and laughed. The cocktail's light red colour shone brightly in the light and the glass was decorated with a slice of orange. “I have bad memories about this drink,” he said but he used the straw to stir up the sugar on the bottom of the glass anyway. When Daehyun took him out to introduce them to his friends for the first time, he had gotten horribly drunk on this cocktail. He had lost his keys and spent the night in Youngjae's apartment. “It wasn't all bad,” Daehyun protested. “True,” Youngjae smiled, his cheeks getting red again.

They clinked their glasses and drank, the liquid warmed Daehyun's stomach immediately. In the morning after Daehyun had lost his keys was the first time they were intimate with each other. It was shy and somehow clumsy, both of them too focused to make the other feel good, it was a precious memory. The waitress came again and fired the grill on the table, she then brought them a plate full of meat and a few bowl with side dishes. Both of them liked simple food and both of them loved eating meat. They spent almost 2 hours in the restaurant, eating and talking and laughing. It was already dark outside when the waitress came with the bill that Daehyun paid, ignoring Youngjae's protest to share.

She thanked Daehyun and walked away, they used the time to finish their drinks. Neither of them was drunk but they were just on the edge of being pleasantly tipsy. Youngjae was about to stand up but Daehyun held him back for a moment and then the waitress came again, placing a silver tray in front of Youngjae and leaving without another word after she bowed. On the tray was a single key on a key chain with a silver heart dangling on it. Youngjae picked up the key and turned it around in his hands, he then looked up to Daehyun, his eyes full of questions.

It's a key to my apartment,” Daehyun said, picking on his sleeves out of nervousness. “So you have a spare one if you lose yours again?” Youngjae asked. Daehyun looked at the other, he could clearly see the challenge in Youngjae's eyes and he knew the question wasn't serious but Youngjae was testing how quickly Daehyun could come up with a witty reply. But Daehyun wouldn't play the other's game today, no matter how much he loved their little debates usually.

No,” Daehyun said, a smile forming on his lips when Youngjae's expression changed into one of curiosity. “I want to give you this key so if you ever feel lost, you always have a place to go.” Daehyun felt his cheeks getting warm and he waited for the other's reaction. Youngjae held the key tightly in his hand and stared at it. When he looked up again, his eyes were full of tears. His beautiful brown eyes looked wet from unshed tears. He jumped up from his seat and threw his arms around Daehyun, almost knocking his chair over. Daehyun stood up as well and embraced the other in his arms, rubbing his nose on the side of Youngjae's neck, taking in his wonderful sweet scent.

Thank you,” Youngjae sobbed. It was new for Daehyun to see his lover like this, overwhelmed with raw emotions that brought him to tears. They kissed, it was sweet and lovingly, they didn't care about anybody watching them. Youngjae was kissing him with so much love, it made Daehyun's head spin and heart burst with happiness. “Let's go,” Daehyun said when they finally parted. “There is one more place I want to take you.”

Daehyun had sent Junhong the text message when Youngjae was in the bathroom, informing his best friend of the time they would arrive. A confirmation was sent back in the matter of a few seconds and Daehyun knew he could relax, Junhong was the most reliable person he knew. They walked hand in hand, making footprints in the snow. Daehyun remembered their first meeting in the park, how they just clicked and how every day with the other had brought him nothing but happiness.

They arrived at the park after a short walk and Daehyun lead him to the place they had first met. A street lamp shone down to the lonely very large cardboard box that was sitting in the snow. Youngjae looked at him questioningly but Daehyun only motioned for him to go and open it. When Youngjae lifted the lid of the box, a few red heart shaped balloons flew up to the sky. Youngjae managed to catch one before it was out of reach and held it in his hand. He crouched down and took something else out of the box, it was a red envelope and a snowman plush toy.

Youngjae came back to Daehyun, his hands full but he gave Daehyun the string of the balloon and the little snowman to have his hands free to read the letter. It started to snow, gentle snowflakes started to cover their heads and shoulders, it felt as if angels wanted to make this night perfect for them. When Youngjae had finished reading, tears were running down his cheeks. Daehyun took off his gloves and wiped the other's cheeks gently. Once again, Youngjae fell into his arms, Daehyun could feel the warmth coming from him and he let it surround and embrace him. He had never felt so happy in his life, he and Youngjae fit together as if they were made for each other.

A year ago, it had just been a gut feeling, fate had brought them together in the most random way and they went on well right away. That feeling had grown ad grown with every moment they had spent together and by now, Daehyun was sure that they would even spend their last day together. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you Youngjae,” Daehyun whispered. Saying this out loud brought tears into Daehyun's eyes as well and after Youngjae's sobbed promise that he would love him forever, they just stood there for a long while, arms wrapped around each other and let their tears flow to bathe in this feeling.

The feeling of true love.