17.12.2015 (Decorating Christmas Tree)

Winter Wonderland

Youngjae loves his little brother Junhong. He even loves him on this Sunday morning when he jumps on his legs to get him out of bed and they feel like they might break. Youngjae opens his eyes and Junhong's smile is brighter than the sun, Youngjae could never be mad at his little angel. Junhong lunges into his spread arms and allows his older brother to ruffle his hair. The little boy's impatience is endearing, it's only a week left until Christmas Eve and they volunteered for the duty to decorate the Christmas tree. Or rather, Junhong begged until Youngjae gave in and promised they will do it together.

He can convince Junhong to have breakfast before they start, Youngjae really needs a coffee before he can function properly, University life has taken a toll on him and even though he's on break, he's studying every day until the early morning hours. Junhong almost drags him away as soon as his cup is empty and after a playful fight, Youngjae gives in with a smile. He just can't say no to Junhong and he's sure that his brother knows about it and uses it against him.

All the decorations are already sitting on the table in the living room, waiting for them to pick a place on the tree for them. The whole room smells fresh, like fir, Youngjae likes the smell, it makes him feel calm. There are glass ornaments and electric candles, golden and red garlands and both, Youngjae's and Junhong's selfmade decorations as well. Youngjae's figures are already so old that they look battered unlike Junhong's which still look colourful and cute.

Youngjae's eyes fall on the little yellow duck with a red Santa hat and he smiles. Junhong was so proud when he told him that he made this one for Youngjae only and when he moves out one day, he will take it with him for his own Christmas tree. He doesn't quite agree that he looks like a duck but the yellow round animal looks cute enough and he likes it.

They start with the electric candles, Youngjae stands on a ladder and lets Junhong tell him where to stick the candles. Junhong is doing a good job although he is maybe a little too much excited, running around the tree and confusing Youngjae in the process. But in the end, all candles are spread evenly and the check-up confirms that all lights are working. Junhong wants to put the garlands on the tree next, he wraps a large golden one all around the tree and Youngjae wraps a red one around his little brother. The little boy looks so shocked for a moment that Youngjae bursts out with laughter before he holds one end of the garland and tells Junhong to spin around to get untangled.

About half an hour later, the tree is full of blue and yellow glass ornaments, they don't match the golden and red garlands at all but Junhong is so proud of himself. The last thing they secure on the branches are their selfmade ones. Junhong hands him his favourite ones and points where he wants Youngjae to put them. It's too dangerous for Junhong to be on the ladder, their mother would kill Youngjae if he lets this happen so it's his job to do whatever his brother wants.

Junhong gives his brother the duck and tells him to hang it right at the top and then he hands him a round grey cat with a Christmas hat. “Is that you?” Youngjae asks. “No,” Junhong says as if it's obvious that it isn't him. “Who is it?” - “My teacher Daehyun hyung,” Junhong explains. Youngjae looks at the cat, its mouth looks like a 3 that fell over, its eyes were cute little curves and huge whiskers are on either side of its face. It looks cute and Youngjae remembers the handsome young teacher that he wouldn't mind meeting again one day. It does look like Junhong's teacher. Youngjae has no objections when Junhong tells him to hang it right next to the duck, the way they're dangling on the top of the tree together looks kind of cute.

Their mother laughs for at least 3 minutes when Junhong allows her to join them in the living room and take a look at the tree. But she scoops up her son and tells him that this is the prettiest Christmas tree they ever had whilst sending a wink to his older brother.