Chapter 1

The Untold Love Story

The story always begins the same; whether it’s from watching the show or reading fan fictions online. The love line was not planned. It just naturally developed (with help from the members, of course) and the producers did nothing to stop it. From episode 8 (the spark) to episode 10 (the forceful beginning) to episode 16 where she finally acknowledges the relationship. It was all fun and games in the beginning and before long, Monday couple fans or should I say ‘shippers’ were soon abundant. Back then, both Ji Hyo and Gary were both single, so they thought it wouldn’t hurt to play along. Contrary to popular believe, Gary was not in love with Ji Hyo. Of course he thought she was beautiful but no romantic feelings were involved. Nor was Ji Hyo in love with him.

He had already been in a long term relationship and didn’t like how it ended. So for the time being, he was perfectly contented with short term flings, nothing too serious. He frequented clubs and enjoys drinking and smoking. He unlike many idols and celebrities did not bother to keep it a secret. This was who he was and he likes it; for now at least. Whereas she on the other hand made it point blank that she was not into bad boys. So anyone who knows them well enough knew that it was impossible for them to have a relationship.

As time passes, the cast members grew closer and more familiar with each other. Helping each other out, buying food and drinks, going to parties, or just hanging out became second nature to them. Even Gary and Ji Hyo saw each other as very close friends but when the camera was , Gary became a sweet hopeless romantic as an act and Ji Hyo was fine with that.

Gary’s POV

(After Ji Hyo’s relationship was made public)

“Well good for her. At least she found someone to make her happy. I guess that’s the end of Monday Couple” Gary said shrugging his shoulders as he read the news online feeling indifferent about it. They were after all just a TV couple. Though he wondered how he should react to the news on camera. The producers were of no help. “You guys developed this love line on your own. It’s up to you what you want to do with it.” So naturally, he turned to his trusted variety seniors, Jae Suk and Ha Ha.

“So, what should I do? Should I bring it up in the next episode?” Gary asked nonchalantly over dinner with Jae Suk and Ha Ha. Jae Suk being wiser of the two with more experience spoke first “Gary ah, we’ll keep it simple. I’ll bring it up and you can say something about how you would have reacted if you were really in love with her and then we’ll just carry on from there.” Gary nodded in agreement. ”Sounds simple enough. I could do that”

The next few days was a great pain in the for Gary. Though he appreciated the fans support for Monday Couple, he wished that people would understand that it was all just an act. He even had to call Ji Hyo to clear things up. “Ji Hyo ah, I’m happy for you. Don’t worry about the fans. Their enthusiasm would quiet down soon enough. It was fun while Monday Couple lasted.” He wanted her to understand that he was fine. “Oh and by the way, I might exaggerate my reaction to the news during filming so be prepared. HAHAH”

Ji Hyo’s POV

“Maybe I should have told them about us before telling the press” Ji Hyo wondered out loud. “Oh well, what’s done is done. It’s too late to turn back now. Has Gary said anything about this yet?” Baek Chang Joo asked as he filled his mouth with delicious samgyeopsal. “Yeah, he said he was happy for me and not to worry about the fans reaction to the news. “Well that’s good. How’s the food?” 

 

4 years later

Well fast forward four years later, Ji Hyo’s relationship with CEO Baek gradually became sour and they broke up soon after. The members and staff of running man were made aware of the situation which includes Gary, though the fate of Monday Couple still lingers unknown. Both Gary and Ji Hyo tried rekindling their lost flame bit by bit on screen and though it was not as extreme and fervent as before, it seemed to satisfy the fans just as well.

But for the past few weeks, they notice Gary became more and more distant. “Hyung, yesterday, I went to the club to party with some friends and I found out something strange.” Kwang Soo was telling Ha Ha.  “What could be stranger than you having friends? Hahhahaha,” Ha Ha joked. “Hahaha, very funny. Anyway, I heard that Gary hyung has not been there for a couple of weeks now. It’s weird isn’t it? Gary hyung is one of the most hardcore clubber I have ever met and all of a sudden he just stops going?” “Maybe he’s just found another club to go to? He doesn’t really invites me to clubs anymore now that I’m married with a kid.” Ha Ha said with a regretful tone. “Is there trouble in paradise with the wife?” Kwang Soo asked cheekily. “What??! No. I just… kinda miss it you know. The bachelor life. Not that I’m not happy with my wife and kid; I am.” “Okok. Duly noted. I’ll remember to tell your wife that the next time I meet her,” Kwang Soo said without missing a beat which earn him a hit on the head from Ha Ha. “Alright! I won’t tell her! We’re getting off topic here.” “Maybe you should ask some of his close rapper friends” “I did. But if they know anything, they’re not telling” Kwang Soo gasped “Maybe he’s dating someone? Maybe it’s Ji Hyo noona”

Kwang Soo decided to text Gary “My beloved Gary hyung, let’s go clubbing tonight.” “Oh Kwang Soo ah. This is a surprise. But I can’t tonight. Sorry” “What about tomorrow or the next night?” “Dude do you have no other friends. LOL. I’ll be kinda busy this few weeks. I’ll let you know when I’m free to hang out. OK?” “Ok hyung. I miss you. I love you. See you next Monday” “Gay much? Ok see you then.”

That’s weird. What does he need to be busy about? As far as I know, he just released his single. He should be relaxing and celebrating now, shouldn’t he?

Gary’s POV

“I think they’re starting to suspect something. I might have to tell them about us soon.”