Playground

Playground: JinMark

Mark ran through the park with his skateboard at his side. He dodged joggers, jumped over benches, and passed walking couples. His breath came out in short bursts and strands of hair stuck to his sweaty forehead. Mark’s face broke into a huge grin when he finally saw his destination. Everyday he looked forward to coming to the skate park. He always came at the same time and he was never late. He passed the playground that sat adjacent to the ramps and jumped onto his skateboard. He gave a loud shout of triumph and proceeded to do various tricks.

Jin-young momentarily lifted his eyes from his book. He peeked through his glasses and noticed a boy speeding by him on a skateboard. Jin-young eyed the skater and was instantly impressed. He watched for a few minutes before diverting his attention back to his page. He pressed his back into the soft grass and adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose. He lay in the same spot he always did. Walking to the park, sitting by the playground, and reading was part of his daily routine. Jin-young’s head tilted and swayed with the words written in the book. The world around him went out of focus; every page he turned led him deeper into a different reality.

Mark laid his skateboard at the top of the ramp and positioned his feet. He took a deep breath and readied himself for the rush. Just as Mark was about to push off, a drop of water landed on the tip of his board. He directed his eyes towards the sky and saw that blue had been engulfed by grey. Dark, threatening clouds rolled closer and devoured the sun. Mark could hear children screaming with excitement as more water started to shower the earth. Figures under him popped open umbrellas and started to shuffle through the forming puddles. Mark pulled his hoodie over his head while reaching for the skateboard. He steadily jumped off the ramp and ran under the playground for shelter.

Jin-young jumped up in surprise when the rain started to pelt him. He protectively covered his book inside his jacket and lifted himself off the wet grass. His glasses were starting to fog up and drops stuck to his lenses. The benches around him were now vacant; everyone had abandoned the park when it started to rain. Jin-young darted towards the playground to find protection from the smothering rain.

The two boys met under the apparatus. Their hair was dripping and their faces were streaked. Mark started to laugh and looked up in amazement.

“I can’t believe it's raining so hard,” he said.

Jin-young followed his gaze and watched as the water poured.

“I’m Mark, by the way. What’s your name?” Mark asked. He stuck out a wet hand and gave a big smile.

“My name is Jin-young,” Jin-young replied. He unwrapped his arms from his jacket and shook Mark’s hand.

Staying under the playground was better than being out in the open, but it was far from perfect. Rain seeped through cracks and the cold wind at the boys. Mark didn’t mind. He thought the scenery was relaxing. Jin-young, on the other hand, was freezing. His teeth chattered, and he couldn’t stop shivering. Mark noticed and frowned.

“Are you okay? We should get you inside,” Mark told Jin-young.

Jin-young shook his head, but continued to tremble.

“It’s still raining too hard. We don’t have an umbrella,” Jin-young quivered out.

Mark looked out and spotted a small cafe down the street.

“We’ll make it if we run. Come on, I’ll buy you a coffee,” Mark assured.

Mark adjusted his skateboard under his arm and grabbed Jin-young’s hand. He pulled Jin-young out and securely wrapped his arms around him. They hurried through the park and splashed through the puddles. The rain fell loudly and deafened the sound of their steps. The grass squished under their feet while mud stuck to their shoes. When they finally reached the entrance of the cafe, they barged through the doors with the wind violently blowing behind them. Mark laughed in victory, but Jin-young just started to sneeze. Jin-young couldn’t stop and his glasses slid farther down with each blow. Mark kept giggling and grabbed the sneezing boy’s hand. He dragged him to a booth and gestured towards a waitress for two coffees.

It was warm in the small shop, but the boys were drenched in rain water. They were both shivering, yet Mark couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. He kicked his skateboard under the seat and sat opposite of Jin-young. Jin-young pulled out his book from his jacket and placed it on the table. He inspected the pages and sighed with relief when he saw they were still whole. The paper was wet and shriveled, but the words were definitely readable. Jin-young slumped in his seat and patiently waited for the drinks to arrive. He pulled his coat closer to his body and sniffled.

“You should probably take it off,” Mark started. “Your jacket is too wet. You’ll get sick.”

Mark grabbed the end of his hoodie and peeled the wet fabric off his body as to show Jin-young his point. Jin-young slowly removed the soaking outer layer and laid it next to him. A young waitress approached with their drinks in a tray. She shyly placed the coffees in front of them and threw a charming smile at Mark.

“I like your skateboard,” she attempted to flirt.

“Thank you. I like your necklace,” Mark graciously replied.

The waitress bowed gratefully and walked away with scarlet cheeks. She couldn't help but look back at Mark.

“I think she likes you,” Jin-young stated. He wrapped his fingers around the heated mug and felt his hands grow warm. He brought the drink to his lips and gently blew.

“That's too bad. I think I like someone else,” Mark commented.

“Oh, you have a girlfriend?” Jin-young asked before sipping his coffee.

“No,” Mark announced. “How about you?” He slowly added.

Jin-young stopped blowing the dark liquid and blushed slightly. He looked down awkwardly.

“I don't like girls,” Jin-young quietly revealed. He hoped Mark wouldn’t make fun of him or feel uneasy.

“Really?” Mark questioned.

Jin-young sheepishly shook his head and avoided Mark’s eyes.

“How about a boyfriend?” Mark stirred his coffee.

“No,” Jin-young uttered.

He looked up and saw Mark smirking. Mark brought his cup up to his lips and focused on the boy across from him. Jin-young tensely shifted his weight and looked out the window. He noticed that the rain was starting to clear up.

“I should probably go,” Jin-young announced. “Thank you for the coffee.”

Jin-young grabbed his coat and raced towards the door. Mark accidentally took a big swing of coffee when he saw Jin-young rush out of the shop. He placed his finger on his slightly burnt tongue and cursed under his breath. He saw Jin-young’s book still lying on the table and scrambled for it. He left some money on the table and darted after Jin-young.

Jin-young swiftly walked and his hands into his pockets. He stopped in his tracks when he heard footsteps trailing behind him. He turned around and met Mark. Mark was panting but promptly presented Jin-young with his book.

“Thanks,” Jin-young murmured.

“Why’d you leave so quickly. It's still raining!” Mark interjected.

“I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable,” Jin-young flushed. “Besides, the sun is coming out.”

“Actually, I’m very comfortable,” Mark expressed.

Jin-young grabbed the book from Mark’s hands and gave a grateful smile. He started to turn, but Mark grabbed his wrist before he could walk away.

The rain trickled almost as softly as Mark kissed Jin-young. Their lips moved to the sound of the droplets; Mark’s touch was as refreshing as the cooling wind, and Jin-young’s head was as clouded as the sky above him. Mark s his arms around Jin-young’s neck and Jin-young felt himself melt further.

When Mark finally let go, they were both breathless. Jin-young stared in disbelief at the grinning boy before him.

“Will you come back with me to get my skateboard?” Mark asked innocently.

Jin-young’s glasses started to fog up again, but this time because his cheeks were radiating heat. Mark grabbed his hand and lead him back towards the cafe.

The next day

The grassy area by the playground was empty. The skate park was missing a skater.
Jin-young and Mark had modified their favorite pastimes. Jin-young sat on a swing and was reading his book out loud. Mark gently rode his skateboard near him and listened attentively.

Rain was no longer falling, but Jin-young and Mark were.