Chapter 1

Life Doesn't Just Ends Here

 

 

It all started years ago.

Back then, when I first started doing things that I had to do. 

Back then, when I had absolutely no idea what the future had in store for me.

Back then, when I couldn't feel anything, my body, my soul , my emotions were gone without saying goodbye.

Back then, when I was dead, leaving everyone, and everything behind.

Back then, when I thought it was the beginning, but sadly, it wasn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was dark, completely. Of course, it was because my eyes weren't open yet. The aura was completely different from home, it was scary indeed, I could feel the cold wind crossing it's way with my neck, uncertain when this will end. Minutes passed, and I still don't know what am I going to do.

All of a sudden, I heard the sound of fingers snapping and my eyes shot up opened by itself. It felt like I was hypnotized, like I was being controlled by someone or something. I was seating on a chair, possibly wooden, I guess.

The first thing I could see was an uncertain woman, I'm not sure whether she's old, or she just dyed her hair grey. She was wearing a black elegant dress, and was staring right into my eyes, sitting too, with a table in front of her. Honestly, I started to panic, because I have no idea what am I doing, or why am I doing here.

Then, I realised that the room was bright red, like the colour of blood, I don't know why but I started to hate the feeling of that woman staring right into my soul. I tried to move, but only to find myself unfree, because my hands and leg was cuffed firmly.

"Done sleeping? I think I gave you a long rest, pretty much longer than others," she asked me while slowly placing her arms on the table.

"Wait, what's happening, why am I-" I was cut by her.

"Don't worry, my love. Everything's going to be okay. After this, you will be taken back to earth, and receive your first subject,"

"Wait what?! Earth? What do you mean earth? Where am I?!!" Then, I was taken aback by her hands hitting the table and her intense stare. I guess it was a signal for me to shut up. But I don't want to, I want answers.

Slowly, she stood up and came to me, her intense stare turned into something else, it was a pitiful stare. I could see inside her eyes, wanting to say that she's sorry for something.

"I'm sorry to say this, but you're actually dead dear, all of us, we had the same fate like you," she said it as if it was only for me to hear it, more like a whisper, a soft whisper. Unfortunately, the word dead kept repeating in my head like a siren ringing non-stop.

I felt like ranting, raging, beating this woman, I mean how can I be dead? I remembered going to school, I remembered going to sleep early because I had school the day after. I wanted to scream so bad, but all that came out from me was tears, followed by a gentle, heart-warming hug from the woman.

"I'm sorry, for your own lost, dear. You'll be happier here, trust me, it's a place where all of us make people happier. You'll definitely not going to regret doing this."

 

 

 

 

That was the day I began my new life. 

 

 

 

 

I was told by that woman, who supposedly was Song Qian, or better known as Victoria, that I had to serve people who was still alive. I had to make them happy. At first, I was totally opposing it because couldn't anyone see the irony here? Why should I make people happy while I'm sitting here miserably? I know, it's a mean statement but I'm still in a shock over here. I don't even know how I died or why I died. Couldn't I at least know the reason why?

It was weird, I knew I had parents and a little brother, but I couldn't remember anything else. Like how they look like, or where did I live? Was I a popular kid back then? I just remembered my name, age, and birthday. Did I died in amnesia? Is someone controlling my head? Like what actually happened here?

Victoria said she already knew I would be acting like this. Asking her all these questions, denying the fact that I had to serve people, wanting more time to adapt with all of these.

"Look, Sunyoung dear, honey, relax. I was just like you when I was first brought up into this room. Wanting to know how I died. Wanting to know my life before, wanting to know what happened to me too. But in the end, no one knew. No one wanted to give me answers either. I'm very sorry for that."

I wanted to hate her, but somehow a part of me says that she was being nice. Considerate. It's like she went through this before. It's like she understands me.

I was about to ask her what I had to do now, not until I heard a phone ringing.

She took out a cell phone from the desk and answered it. It was like one of those really old ones, back in the early 2000's. I couldn't pay attention to the conservation, I was too busy trying to figure out things, mainly about the future. After a few moments of staring into the mid-air, I finally got back to my senses as Victoria started talking.

"I'm sorry, but you have to hurry, the next subjects are already in the list. I'm sure you're old enough to understand the art of making people happy right?"

I'm only sixteen, I haven't even explored the world yet. I was given a file, the kind of file that was private and confidential, like the ones you'd see in crime movies. Wait, how can I even remember about crime movies?

 

"Alright then, here you go, once you reach earth, do open it and examine properly, besides, it's your first subject,"

 

Wait what? What the hell is a subject? I heard that sound again, the sound of fingers snapping, and all of a sudden I was in the streets of a city, I guess. Everything was happening so fast, I couldn't catch up. People walking through me, shops were just about to start their business, it was quite a ruckus, a complete mess. Everyone was so busy trying to go to work. There was even this lady fell down because some guy pushed him. I quickly tried to help that poor lady, she even spilled her coffee. I was about to-

Then I realised something, I couldn't help her out. My hands ran straight through. It felt like touching the air like nothing was there. I slowly waved my hands in front of the lady and she didn't notice me at all.

I guess I'm really dead, aren't I? There I was, looking at a nice guy helping her out, instead of me. I guess I really couldn't accept the fact that I'm dead, the true reality. I closed my eyes, just to prevent tears shedding and trying hard to control my feelings. It hurts, alright? It's just too fast for me, I woke up just to see some woman telling I'm dead, telling me that I have to do this and that, doesn't anyone understand me right now? I just want to go home, wake up from this horrendous nightmare!

My eyes open softly, tears came out unknowingly. I guess we have to move on, Sunyoung. Time to let go of the past, even though you don't even know what it is.

I didn't realise I dropped the file Victoria gave me. The contents flew out due to falling. Curiously, I took it and decided to take a look. Honestly, I was quite confused when she said the art of making people happy.

 

 

 

Rules And Regulations of 'US'.

1. 'US' has only one task, to make people happy. (We do not take orders like ual desire or things that can harm US)

2. No one can see 'US', touch 'US' or even speak to 'US'; we're basically dead. (Subjects are only given the opportunity to see and speak only)

3. Once receive designated files, immediately analyse and connect to subjects to help them out with their own problems.

4.Once finish task, report to the leader (Victoria) immediately.

5. Each US is given a month to fulfill task. (It's okay we understand, not all subjects are easy to handle.)

6. If a month is too short, please make yourself to the leader to request for more time to complete task.

7. Never reveal yourselves to anyone, ESPECIALLY SUBJECTS.

#To all newbies, here's a tip, to teleport from earth to headquarters, or vice versa, just close your eyes and concentrate. PS: It works for accessibility for people to see you or speak to you too.

 

 

 

Whoa. Is this some sort of organization for the dead or something? 

 

 

THE US LINING: FIRST SUBJECT.

NAME: KIM JONGDAE

AGE: 18

PLACE OF HOME:  15, 8TH STOREY, HWANGSON BUILDING, CHANGWON STREET, SEOUL

PLACE OF SCHOOL: SEOUL HIGH SCHOOL.

CURRENTLY SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL, STILL LIVES WITH PARENTS AT THE MOMENT.

 

Wait, that's it? I may have never done this before, but isn't it too little information? I mean like if you were to ask me to make this person happy, shouldn't you at least tell me his problems? Dude, I don't even know where I am! What the hell am I suppose to do now? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was getting lonelier by the moment, so I took a sit on a bench. I've only realised that I had a watch on my wrist. I can see it's 8:45 , and even the word 'US' within the numbers. Is it me or they're too caught up with this 'US' word? It's like they're obsessed or something. Damn, my heart says that I should start doing whatever I was assigned to but, exactly how? How am I going to find this Jongdae kid?

 

My mind began to wonder. Who is this Kim Jongdae? How am I suppose to help him with? Wait, what if he's a murder? They don't just write problems for nothing right? I mean like, who knows he's a gang leader or something? Oh . I think I should bail this thing. But then, what can I do? Wander around and do nothing? Scare the out of people? Technically, I'm a ghost right? Yeah, I could do that.

 

I started to return back to reality as I heard footsteps, heavy ones. There was a student running and passed me, of course he wouldn't notice me, besides, he is in a hurry. Whoa, bro aren't you too late to school? It's like almost nine now. Somehow, my body rose and followed him. Oh no, it felt like someone was controlling me again, or is it just myself? Wait, I should follow him, who knows it's him right?

 

He ran fast, very fast. Much like the wind. Even I couldn't keep up, but eventually, we arrived at a school. I could a sign, it says 'SEOUL HIGH SCHOOL'. Alright! I'm probably on track and somewhere in Seoul. It's that Jongdae's school. 

 

I quietly followed him, passing the gates and reached a building. This school ain't bad, the front landscaping was surprisingly beautiful, and there was a lot of buildings too.There was another person standing by the wall and it seems like it was the disciplinary teacher. One thing's for sure, that guy is going to get detention because I can literally see the fire within that teacher's eyes. He looked pissed.

 

All of a sudden my head started to hurt. It felt like someone was pulling my scalp to the back. That definitely hurts. I closed my eyes and tried to gain self-consciousness when suddenly I heard a loud bang. I opened just to see that teacher earlier, he was head- banging the student on a wall.

 

Whoa. Ain't that too much for a punishment? I mean this guy looks like a lion trying to eat a deer. 

 

"YAH, CHEN. WHO THE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO COME THIS LATE TO SCHOOL.? I HAD ENOUGH WITH YOUR - "

 

Is that how you talk to your students, man? Man, what happened to this world when I was gone?

 

"It was your fault. It was your fault that I was late. Who asked you to make mom-"

 

I could see the teacher raising his hands and was about to hit him, hard. I closed my eyes and prayed for the better. I was expecting a loud slap and some cries or sobs, but all I see was another teacher, a woman passing by them. Obviously , that teacher didn't slap that Chen kid. What a hypocrite! Instead, he grabbed him by the chin and started whispering something in his left ear. I guess he was off the hook. What the hell happen to teachers these days? Oh man, I felt bad judging, but that was just too bad, too aggressive.

 

I continued following Chen, and ended up in his classroom. Even this teacher looks pissed. He entered the class and immediately took his seat, right at the back, beside the window. Whoa. this 'Chen' was quite the kid. No wonder he looks pissed. I guess Chen's someone who's always late to class.

 

"Why bother coming, Chen? It's almost recess." the teacher said, in a cooling manner while he wrote something on the whiteboard. Man, the other students were also not bothered by Chen's actions, I assume it's just another routine of their lives.

 

In a few seconds, the bell rings, must be a sign for recess, the teacher packed his stuff and the students bowed, except for Chen, he bowed half-heartedly and continue sitting and stared outside with his earphones on. 

 

Man, this guy's got some issues. 

 

I found myself staring at Chen. He was listening to music, peacefully. He must had a bad morning, all that head-banging and running. What possibly could had happened to him? I mean, I think it's too late for a person who comes late on a daily basis. 

 

After the class was empty, with all the students went to the cafeteria, except for Chen. He was still in there.

 

Then, I felt a certain thing staring at me. Oh, shoot. It's Chen. I can feel him looking at me, or wasn't he? I can feeI that his stare was completely captivating. Hold up, Sunyoung what the hell are you doing? I immediately looked away started walking towards the end of the hallway. Man, that was creepy. I could feel the chills behind my spine. I think I should start finding Kim Jongdae, since he's in this school.

 

As I walked, I started to realise something. Wait, how did he see me? My feet turned around and I was about to go back to his classroom when I saw another student standing in front of me. He looks younger than that Chen kid.

 

"Noona, is that you?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just like an enormous bell ringing, my head hurts again.