Fin

Seasons Change

 

 

Nayeon loves warm season. Summer is the exact word. Momo hates it so much that she’d rather slam her toes at the door than to go outside and burn herself alive. Thus, when her sleep was interrupted by an earthquake but turned out to be an enthusiastic Nayeon being her human alarm clock jumping on her bed— Momo knew it was the beginning. Three whole months of blazing heat, drowning herself with water all day everyday, forced interactions with people (which is an understatement because she can barely tolerate humanity) and hot sweaty nights with her shorts and tank top. 

Squeak. Squeak. Squeak.  

“Good morning sunshine!” 

“Please go away.” 

Poke.  

“Get up!” 

“Im Nayeon, for Pete’s sake it’s hot, still early, and you being hyper-active is nowhere near helping me to sleep.” 

Pinch.  

“But it’s three in the afternoon.”  

Momo cracked one eye open and swats the hand away from her stretched cheek. She groaned, letting her head fall onto the comforts of her soft pillow. 

Exactly.” 

Nayeon was not amused

“Well, excuse me for being a fun, responsible, and not to mention-- gorgeous and mature roommate. Your Mom specifically told me not to let you jail yourself here again like a lazy hobo.” She crossed her arms, watching the blonde in her groggy grumpy state slid a hand inside her shirt and scratch her back.  

“More like being a pesky five year-old girlfriend. And yeah, mature. Because putting ‘out of order sign’ at the rest room just to see the petrified looks on their faces is so fun and mature.” 

“Oh don’t use air quotes and dry sarcasm on me just because you think you look hot. And you’re no innocent yourself as well. You were the one who wrote it there.” 

Momo sat up; eyes droopy, messy hair sticking out all over the place. She pokes Nayeon in the forehead. “Yes, because you told me to. You said your handwriting . You tricked me into helping you.” 

“Baby, it’s how I seduce you.” Nayeon gave her greasy wink.  

“You’re not cute at all.”  

“That’s a lie and we both know it,” she said as a matter of fact.  

She shakes her head and sighed, “Why am I dating you again?” 

“Because you love me so much that you’ll come with me to the park?” Nayeon tilts her head blinks her eyes cutely.  

Momo was unfazed, choosing her love for sleep instead of falling for her girlfriend’s silly antics. It was one thing to go to the beach and have a peaceful walk. It was another thing to have a peaceful walk with Nayeon in bikini at the beach. Boys were gawking at them like a pack of hungry wolves, and Momo had to punch one in the throat because he could not keep his hands to himself. She laid down on her stomach and fakes a snore, silently wishing Nayeon will leave her alone. Don’t get her wrong, she love this happy virus more than anything in the world, but right now she’s immune to her. She’d rather either hibernate, or migrate to Antartica and live with Eskimos and polar bears. She loves polar bears. 

Nayeon plopped herself on Momo’s back. Momo felt the weight and the sound of her bones crunching. She definitely needs to go to the gym, she thought as her eyes began to drop down. Perhaps next year. 

“Please?” Nayeon tickles her side. 

“Go away. It’s so hot. I’ll be sweaty and sticky. My shower schedule starts tomorrow,” she groaned and tiredly wiggles her body.  

“Okay, gross,” Nayeon shakes her head. “Come on, lazy . It’s summer. This is the season where all the magical stuffs happen! Bonfire nights, amusement parks, karaoke! We can’t miss those. So, live a little would you?” 

“That’s what I’m doing now. I’m living by sleeping it through and wisely avoiding obstacles. I’ll die out there from thirst, dehydration and a whole day of babysitting a five year old,” she mumbles, eyes still closed. It was silent and for a moment, Momo was thankful. The faint retreating sound of footstep set her at ease. She was slowly melting away, lazily drifting to dreamland. 

The door creaked open and she could hear the rustling of sheets. She suppressed a smile when Nayeon draped a blanket over her. However, it was also then she had realised, Momo was left with no choice because she should have seen it coming miles away. Her pleas and screams were shunned and unheard when Nayeon began rolling her body around the blanket like a sushi roll, held her by the legs and drags her away.

They went to the amusement park as planned with Sana and Mina. She let Nayeon lead their way the whole time. It was hot. She was tired. She got lost, and found a few moments later. The queue to the rides were too long, and her feet is killing her. But those things never slipped out of . She could not complain. No, not even one bit. Because when she does, Nayeon would always always have this big bright smile on her face, stating she's having so much fun. Despite the heat, people bumping onto them left and right, and the forgotten bunny plushie that Momo failed to win for her— she'd just hold Momo's hand in assurance and ask her if she's okay.

And her words seemed to fade away.  

 

 

“When will this be all over?”

Apparently, it took five hours of sleep in an overheated non-air conditioned room for Momo’s wrath for summer to unleashed again. For some unfortunate twist of fate, their AC had broke down. She didn’t know how long her eyes were closed, or how many sheep she had counted in her head that night, but she sure knew she wasn’t sleeping. Momo had tossed and turned until she found the right position… two hours later. Nayeon had a mini heart attack and almost smacked her with the frying pan when she caught a petite silhouette sitting like a duck in front of the opened fridge at three in the morning. If it wasn’t for the bright light illuminating the blonde’s sullen face, Nayeon would’ve had mistaken her for a burglar. She was mumbling something in her sleep, and her eyebrows were furrowed in a deep frown. She had to bite her lip to stop the snicker escaping from as she takes out her phone and snapped a few photos for blackmail. 

Day five; and their AC still hasn’t fixed yet. Momo had been cranky all day; slamming doors, walking around the dorm in a wild search for a cool spot to rest on, and Nayeon had to shut her whining girlfriend with a bucket of ice cream because she would not stop talking to the inanimate box of plastic plastered on their wall, screaming, “Why must you give up on me? Breathe dammit.”

Yes, it came to that point of desperation.

“So hoooot,” she whines loudly and violently flails, kicks, and jerks her body like an angry child throwing tantrums.  Warm beads of sweat trickled down her torso and forehead. She wipes it off with the back of her hand and cast a sideway glance at her girlfriend. Nayeon was happily watering the plants at the balcony whilst talking animatedly over the phone, hands flying in all directions. She would constantly placed a hand over her stomach and laugh out loud. She was telling Chaeyoung a some sort of a funny story. Momo couldn’t hear most of what she said, but she pick up a couple of words like ‘fridge’ and ‘sleepwalking.’ Whatever that means. 

Momo began to wonder in envy where does all of her energy coming from. Nayeon has always been the kind of a person who never gets tired. The first week of August had been hell, yet the brunette never seemed to ran out of stuffs to do. Trying out new recipes and fruit shakes, baking, cleaning the house, going out to get groceries, and decorating their room. Meanwhile, here she was, sprawled across the floor along with her shorts, an empty bucket of ice cream, and a few empty plastic bottles. She had been anything but productive as she had refused to take part of any activities that involves physical movement. 

Nayeon halts her story telling and turns to look at Momo. She placed a hand on the side of her cheek and mouthed, “Put some pants on.”

Indeed, she was only clad in an oversized loose shirt. 

No,” Momo frowned and mouths back. She was tired. No, she was so exhausted her body felt as though it was made out of jelly and her head felt like melting into a puddle of goo from the heat. Nayeon scrunches her nose and imitates her expression. She stomps her feet cutely and lift her hand, pointing the water hose towards her direction. Momo groaned when a pair of shorts landed right in her face. 

“Screw that, we’re going.”

She lift up a palm and delivered her best withering glare, “No means no.”

“Why are you doing this to me.” 

“You’re too oblivious. The world is a scary place. You’ll just go running around like a child.”

“And you’ll just go around punching boys in the throat.”

“That was one time, and they were hitting on you.”

“They were actually asking me for your number,” Nayeon crossed her arms.  

Momo sends her an accusing look, “So, you did give them my number. Traitor.”

Nayeon shrugs, “Course not. I gave the pizza hotline.”

“Clever.”

“I know,” she smiles proudly for a second before shaking it off and instantly switching back to her tough façade, “Okay— anyway, that’s not my point. It’s not like I’m walking around .”

“But they probably see you in their eyes.”

“Momo!”

“Nayeon.” 

The couple fell into an intense staring battle. Their friends had invited them to come to the barbecue picnic at the beach, and it was not a surprise that Nayeon was pretty thrilled about it. Until Momo had rushed past her and leaned against the doorframe, one leg raised and pressed against the door acting as a barricade to block her way. Nayeon was clad in a white cropped top that barely did justice to cover her stomach, and black shorts, show casing her pale legs. 

Momo was not happy about it. Call her selfish, but there is no way in hell she’d let anybody see her girlfriend like this. 

“Come on, it will be fun.”

“Nayeon, it’s four in the afternoon. It will be hot.”

Nayeon sighs and nods her head in defeat. Momo felt like she just stomp her heart. 

Her shoulders slumps in distressed and she huffs loudly, mentally cursing herself for being weak. “Fine, we’ll go.”

Nayeon smiled in victory. She spun around and took exactly five steps when a pair of slender arms slowly draped around her waist and soft lips were pressed against her neck. 

“Uh, sorry guys. We can’t go after all,” Nayeon flinched and plucks the phone away from her ear. Jihyo is having a long rant at the moment. She could hear Jungyeon and Chaeyoung shouting ‘boo’s’ at the background all the while Tzuyu, the most decent one amongst their group is hushing the pair. 

What happened anyway?”Jihyo asked from the other line.

Nayeon fakes a laugh and swallowed the non-existent lump in , “You know, it’s just… I got sunburned.”

Momo snorted and stiffles a laugh. Nayeon sends her a death glare as she traces her fingers on her neck, feeling the dull throb, and thinks, two weeks.

The hickey will last long enough. 

 

 

 

“The day has come!”

Momo loves cold season. Winter is the exact word. Nayeon hates it with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Thus, when the blonde woke up at ten in the morning clad in her rilakkuma pyjamas and the first thing she did was run to the balcony, screaming, “It’s winter!” with her arms flailing around— Nayeon knew it was the beginning. Slippery roads, late morning wake ups, constant flus, being held in a solitary confinement inside the four walls of her room, constant flus. 

Sneeze.

Did she already mention flu?

“Darn it.”

Momo was welcomed by the sight of her girlfriend, teary-eyed, and protectively wrapped around a thick blanket. Summer passed by in a blink of an eye and it was December. People were scattered along the busy streets of Seoul clad in winter clothes and cup of coffee in their hands. 

“You okay?”

“I’m bine,” she mutters, takes a tissue and sneezes into it, for what seems like the hundred times. A cough racks through her body, making her chest move up and down at an alarming rate. Her eyes, usually bright and curious, are drooping as though she’s going to fall asleep any second. Momo was staring at her like she’s the one in pain. 

“So,” she gave her a sympathetic smile whilst rubbing the back of her neck, “No ramen?”

She squints her eyes at her. “I’m sick and all you could think about is bood?” Sneeze.

Unnie are you ready?”  Dahyun was standing at the doorstep with her hands tucked behind her back. A smile was plastered across her face and a red scarf was draped around her neck, chin and most of her cheeks. 

Momo could only threw her hands up in defense, “I’ve been craving for it for months.” 

She shakes her head, “Why am I dating you again?”

“Um…” Dahyun’s smile turned stiff and she suddenly felt like a child standing between her nagging parents. Slowly, she began take small steps back in case there will be flying projectiles landing in her direction. She let out an awkward chuckle, “So… ready when you are.”

Not even a glance was given. 

“Hey, leave me and my ramen alone. I never judged you and your ice cream obsession.” 

Nayeon opens to protest but a giant sneeze stops her from making a snarky comeback. She reaches for the box of tissues and blows her nose. She throws the used tissue on the quickly growing pile of discarded Kleenex. She looks over her shoulder and Momo was nowhere to be seen. Her eyes flicker towards her vibrating phone on the table, indicating a message.

Out with Dahyun. Love you.

Nayeon pinch the bridge of her nose in distressed, and thinks murder. She wraps the blanket around herself more tightly and waddled her way to the bathroom to get more tissues. 

Momo came home to darkness and faint sounds coming from the television at the living room. She slips off her shoes and walk further, until she could see a big lump of turquoise in her peripheral vision. Nayeon, still wrapped in her squirtle blanket was asleep on the couch in her hair disarray, head tilt back against the headrest, mouth slightly open, and arms and legs at weird angles. A couple of rolled thin strips of tissue was stuffed into her nostrils. She looks like a tissue walrus. Momo had to shake her head and let out a breathy chuckle. She settles down beside her and pokes her cheeks, startling the brunette. She jolted up from the couch, her eyes slowly fluttered open. She heaved a sigh and automatically lets her head fall against Momo’s shoulder. 

“How long has it been?” 

She scrunches her nose and takes out the tissues. Nayeon’s flu seemed to worsen. Her voice was hoarse, and hurts like hell as though she just swallowed a cheese grater. 

“Twenty minutes and ten-seconds.” 

Nayeon quirked a brow, “Did you even eat?”

Momo shakes her head and set down the plastic bags on the coffee table, “Figured I’ll take out and eat here. I can’t just leave you.” 

“Awww,” she squeaks and reach out her arms, weakly pulling her into a hug. “I’m not feeling well.”

Another cough racks through her body, and she curses quietly under her breath. 

Momo sighed and pats her in the back, “I know. Did you take your medicine?” 

It was now Nayeon’s turn to shake her head. “Not yet. I didn’t like it.”

“Figures,” she mumbles. She hops off the couch and sauntered her way to the kitchen. Momo came back in her pyjamas, and a medicine cup filled with orange liquid. She extends her arm out, offering the medicine, “Here.” 

“What’s that?”

“It’s your medicine. I got you a new one. It tastes better.”

Nayeon frowns, “You also said that before, but I ended up choking.”

“It’s because you’re such a picky child,” Momo ruffles her hair. 

Nayeon lift up her blanket to cover the half of her face as though it will protect her from any harm. She squints her eyes, staring menacingly at the medicine, “It looks like paint. I’m not going to drink that.” 

“You have to.”

“One missed dosage of medicine won’t kill me,” she assured.

With that, another cough erupts from her chest, and she groans. 

Momo quirked a brow and teased, “You were saying?”

Nayeon sighed and snatched the medicine cup. She tilts her head back and let the liquid travel down . A grimace finds its way to her face. Momo was about to stand up when she felt a weak tug on the edge of her shirt making her stumble back onto the couch. Nayeon latch herself onto her arm.

“Uh, Nayeon.”

“Yes?” 

“It’s warm.”

“I’m cold.”

“But—“

“You’re warm,” she snuggles closer, wrapping them both around the blanket. “Stay for awhile.”

Momo fought back a smile, “Okay.”