warm and heady

inhale

Yixing shifts in his post-slumber daze, rolling from one side to collide into something solid. The bedroom is still dark with the curtains drawn closed and the gentle rumble of the heater in the belly of the house still echoes. Eyelids slide open and he can make out the sloping form of Baekhyun's shoulder against his nose.

He smiles gently, a crude uplift at the corner of his lips. It stings a little as the dry skin cracks, but that's alright. These kinds of hazy mornings are Yixing's favorite.

The man aligns his body against Baekhyun, stretching his much longer legs past the other's feet. It follows with a series of joints popping and cracking from nightly disuse and he groans quietly. More discrete rustling and Yixing has finally found a comfortable position.

Yixing managed to thread his arm underneath Baekhyun's and tug him in close against his chest. A steady heartbeat thumps from his ribcage where he rests his hand protectively, warmth seeping from his chest to warm Yixing's fingers. He scoots closer to bury his nose into the peach-soft skin of Baekhyun's nape where dark locks tickle his forehead.

Perfectly tucked and ready to sleep off the remaining three hours before sunrise, Yixing takes a deep breath. And suddenly he's flooded with a smooth, vanilla fragrance, warm and heady. Any desires of wanting to sleep have vanished.

He can't recall what Baekhyun smelled like last, as he never paid much attention to it before. When Baekhyun returns from a jog around the block he smells faintly of pine beneath the sweat's tang. After a shower he's on the sweeter side. Peach blossom body wash Minseok and Luhan gifted for his birthday lent to the saccharine scent; Yixing distinctly remembers Baekhyun squirting the liquid up his nose upon his attempt to smell it first. A day with the kids and Baekhyun sports the waxy crayon scent, something like Caprisun and cookies lingering on his fingers.

Yixing doesn't remember Baekhyun ever smelling so good.

It doesn't occur to Yixing that sniffing his husband like a dog who lost his favorite chew toy is a peculiar act. Somewhere in the back of his mind his subconscious argues they've done weirder things.

He continues to press his face into the back of his husband's neck, breathing deeply and nosing at the column gently. The intoxicating scent has him hooked, he thinks he's fallen in love with this rosey perfume. Baekhyun's heart rate quickens slightly beneath his fingers when Yixing starts to mouth at the skin. Dragging plush lips down the track of his spine does the trick and Baekhyun stirs. Yixing disregards it.

"Yixing?" Baekhyun murmurs throatily, voice cracking on the second syllable.

The man in question merely hums amidst his ministrations, focused on leaving a wet kiss on every inch of exposed skin.

Baekhyun waits for an answer, still half-turned, before giving up as Yixing pulls the collar of his shirt down to reveal more skin. He reaches back to card his fingers lazily through Yixing's matted hair and scratch lightly at his scalp. Baekhyun feels Yixing's smile.

"Explain in the morning," Baekhyun sighs, returning to the dark embrace of sleep.

He had to admit though, it felt good.

*

Jongin trots down the hall, top speed, with his blanket in tow, a muted thump-thump following him into the dining area. His older brother Yifan is already seated with a bowl of cereal in front of him, but he's focused on a bottle clasped in his hand. The younger hoists himself up into the seat across and asks, "What's that?"

"Uncle Lu gave it to me yesterday. Told me it was a surprise present for Dad," Yifan answers, passing the bottle to the other.

"What does it do?"

"He said it was a special oil, makes you smell good. Lu said to secretly put it on Daddy's neck, so I pretended to give him a massage."

Jongin takes the bottle and turns it over in his hand, reading the labels to his best ability.

"Oh, that's nice," Jongin hums. "Uncle must know that Daddy forgets his showers sometimes."

Yifan continues to finish his cereal. The house glows golden, sunrise rays slipping through the curtains to wash over family pictures and the soft carpet. In another room their parents prepare for the day, running uncharacteristically late.

"Hey, ge."

"Yeah?"

"What's an  fragrance oil?"