Light

Cut Throat

             YiJeong ran as far as he could, away from the town guards that were chasing him. His legs ached, burning as he took his steps as if they were begging him to stop. It was worth it though. He had snagged a whole sack full of jewels from some snobby vendor in the marketplace. Rubies, sapphires, and semiprecious jewels clinked heavily in his bag, the weight giving him a sense of satisfaction. He'd get a big - no - HUGE payment out of this. That is, if he manages to get out alive. If it weren't for that damn archer, he would have gotten out with no problem whatsoever.

- Half an Hour Previous -

             "Sir, to be fairly honest, you were definitely tricked on this shipment of Jewels. Sapphires? More like blue stained glass cut to look like them! You call yourself an expert? I have better judgement then you!" YiJeong called out haughtily. He sensed this vendors large pride, and he was going to play it to his advantage. Keeping aware of those around him and sensing their emotions was his strong suit. He was one of the Gifted. Born with rare magic that extended their abilities beyond a normal human's. 

            "You really think so, you punk? I bet my whole shipment these gems are real!" A little bit of spit hit YiJeong's face and he had to fight the urge to grimace in disgust. The man's lisp was ah, heavy, so to speak. Annoyingly so. 

            "I take your offer then, old man. If I throw the sapphire to the ground and it comes out with out a scratch, I'll pay you ten fold it's original price," The man smirked as YiJeong spoke, "But- If I win... I get every last item in your shop. The gold, silver, the jewels... All of it," YiJeong extended his hand, smirking on the inside as he robbed this man blind, "Do we have a deal?"

            "You bet we do you idiot, I'd be happy just to prove you wrong!" The old vendor bellowed out, griping his hand and shaking it harsh with a vice grip, "Stupid teenagers," he muttered under his breath.

            "Stuck up Arsehole."

            "What was that?"

            "Nothing important."

             YiJeong grinned, this time not faking any bit of it. This man was doing everything right according to his plan. He didn't even know he was getting played. The man watched him pluck up the sapphire, which was indeed real, into his hand. What the man didn't see through was YiJeong switching the real sapphire out with the perfect glass copy in his sleeve. Little did YiJeong know, he wasn't the only one doing the playing.

              He was being watched.

             As he switched out the two identical objects, a man, just a little taller then YiJeong, observed. He saw the cunning boy's little movement. No normal person would have been able to catch that small action, but then again, Jaeho was not normal. His dark eyes following YiJeong's actions through his white blonde hair, weighing and calculating his every move. He was not on a job right now, but he had heard from the leader of the thieves guild (if you could even call it a guild), that they would be going after a debt that man owed in less then a month. A debt can't be repaid if the said person is bankrupt, right? He'd need to remind Kyungil about this later on, let him know there is new competition now with that little hustler around. He watches calmly as the boy continues to play the man, waiting for the right time to intervene.

              YiJeong takes pride in his skill, so when he throws the fake gem to the ground and shatters it into a thousand pieces, feeling the man's pride shatter along with it. Disbelief settled into his face as he walked around his vendor and pawed at what was left of his precious "gem." 

              "No, no, no! This can't be right! I checked it myself! How could..." The man's eyes widened with terror at the conclusion he came to. Shock laced all over his face, his brow furrowed in confusion. YiJeong sensed the many emotions racking his brain, but most of all, he sensed the man's pride dying, and dying fast. 

              YiJeong unclasped the sack that was hooked to one of his leather belt loops, opening the rough twine drawstrings. He gestured at the fine jewelry that covered the counter if the man's shop, "I believe these," he picked up a glimmering ring, starring at it greedily, "Are mine." He dropped the ring in the bag, waiting to see the man give up completely. Surprisingly though, the man just smirked. What was with this guy? His skin prickled, a sense of foreboding overcoming his senses. The old man parted his lips with a sharp and antagonistic grin, to YiJeong at least.

"Ghost, what a nice time to show up." The hair on YiJeong's neck stood straight, vibrations of fear being sent through him. He couldn't sense the man behind him at all, probably because he had been so focused on the task at hand. Stealing jewels, and all. A warm breath brushed by his cheek, smelling of the woods and fresh lemon mint. It took a bit for YiJeong to figure out why this man could sneak up on him. It was exactly that. He literally couldn't sense this man. His gift couldn't sense him. This guy was a complete ghost. He couldn't sense his emotions at all, and for the first time in 10 years, YiJeong was clueless on how to deal with what was happening around him. 

As a kid he was orphaned at age 8, living on his own by age 10, and prospering (by his standards) at age 17. He was now 18. Ever since his gift was realized he had never felt such fear, but this man, this man behind him, was sending arches of it up his spin like great bolts of lightning. It was burning on his skin like a wildfire, spreading as fast as it started. 

                 He felt a hot cold calloused hand snake up his sleeve, knocking him flat out of his thoughts and warming his hands with a blazing heat that rushed straight to his ears. He was dumbfounded, mouth gaping like a person with a crippled jaw. How could he have let someone see? Why was he not able to sense this guys emotions? But most of all...

                  Why was he letting this get to him?

                 "You should really be more observant, you never know if your being watched." The man leaned forward as he took the real gem from his sleeve, tucking it in his own pocket. The vendor watched the scene with much interest, slowly putting two and two together, realizing that he had indeed been played, not that he lost. His face filled red with rage, steam practically rushing from his ears like an angry kettle. 

                  "GUARDS! THEIF!" The vendor roared, pointing directly at YiJeong. YiJeong cursed. Why just at him? The bastard behind him actually stole the jewel! He scoffed and quickly shoved the man behind him, Ghost as he was called, as hard as he could with two hands, the man budging back at bit, barely even stumbling. It wasn't much, but it was enough. YiJeong took off at a full sprint, but not before scraping the entire counter into his bag with one swipe, some objects on the side not quite making it into the canvas drawstring, but you should take what you can get YiJeong decided. The man he pushed didn't say anything, didn't even try to pursue him as he bolted away from the scene. He slid over some poor lady's pastry vendor counter, knocking the numerous pies and cakes to the ground with a splat, showering her in her own delicious frosting and cream creations. 

                   "I'm really sorry about that!" He jumped of the counter as he slid to its end, but not before snagging a lemon drop, his favorite. He quickly shoved it in his mouth, checking and running at the same time, "I'll pay you back! I swear!" He lied.

                    The guards armor could be heard clinking behind him, and after some minutes of running, they were still there.

- Present Time -

                     YiJeong searched for a place to hide, trying to silence his loud, gasping breathing. He had finally pulled far enough in front of the guards to be out of their vision, using the opportunity to hide. He ducked into a section of bramble not nearly thick enough to cover him. The guards got ever closer and closer. They were so close to his hiding spot. Just a few more feet and he'd be a goner. That's it, this is the end of his thieving days! He's gonna get thrown in the dog house, left to rot and wallow in-

                    "Guards, he went that way!" 

                     He heard the guards turn their heads, their anger directed in a different direction from the one he was in. They were no longer on his tail. He stood up after a few minutes, making sure the guards weren't returning. Just in case, he grabbed a rock off the ground for some protection. He really needs to get himself a knife. He tossed the stone in his hand a bit, feeling it's nice weight in his palm. It'd be good enough to cause some damage, especially if-

                     A twig snapped behind him, and he felt a dangerous presence. He whipped around fast, fast balling the stone directly where he sensed the person. The honey blond man narrowly dodged it, it skimming his head by a hair. His eyes were wide, and YiJeong felt a spike in his blood pressure. He was still to freaked out to sense anything properly. His own emotions were overriding any last bit of his Gift. He could only sense his intentions right now, and that was sure as hell of no use at that moment. He braced himself, his best "battle pose." He probably looked like a complete idiot, but he couldn't careless. Screw images. It's not like he has much of one anyway, he scoffed. 

                      "Leave me alone now, or next time I won't miss." He snatched up another stone. It was lighter than the last, but it'll do.


                     "Holy-" He dodged another stone thrown by YiJeong. Ok, so maybe he didn't have that best aim. YiJeong snatched up his third stone, "Calm down, won't you?! I'm the one who diverted the guards!" He held his hands up, showing he meant know harm, "I'm here to offer you a place to lay low for a while, and if you want..." He put down his hands and smirked in a friendly manner, "You could even join our guild. But you have to promise me you won't attempt murder by stoning us to death, not like you could, your aim is terrible."

                     "That's not for you to judge," The black haired protagonist regained his cool bit by bit, "And what guild is it that you speak of?" 

                     YiJeong narrowed his eyes, not fully up to the honey haired man's deal. He'd already had his fill of deals gone wrong for today.
 
                     "Names Sihyoung. Second in command of the Thieves Guild, run by the infamous Song Kyungil." YiJeong's eyes widened, " I'm guessing you've heard of it?" Sihyoung chuckled. 

                      "Who hasn't?! Like you said, the thieves guild is infamous!" He put the arm holding the stone down, relaxing a bit, "But what does this have to do with me?"

                      "Your kidding right? We're a Thieves guild, your a thief, a good one at that. We have had a guy tailing you for the past couple days, at a reasonable distance of course. We caught wind of just what your gift was, and didn't want you catching wind of us instead. It's occurred a bit earlier than we anticipated, so I'll just say it now. Would you like to join the Thieves Guild?"

                       YiJeong nearly choked. A chance to join the Thieves Guild? He could only think of one thing to say, a cool satisfied grin spreading across his face as he completely dropped the stone in his hand.

                       "Count me in."