Final

I Wish

It had just been 6 o’ clock in the morning, but Tao had woken up from his sleep. He didn’t know why but he felt so damn hungry. Maybe because he cried all night long yesterday. Blame his parents who left him alone for traveling around the world right on his 17th birthday! But he couldn’t careless about it. All he needed was some food to fill his empty stomach.

Still half-conscious, he walked slowly out of his bed. Quickly heading to the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator, checking its contents out. Maybe there’s something he could eat.

Suddenly, his gaze fixed on a cake which was placed in the corner of the second shelf. There was a congratulatory message, “Happy B'Day Panda ^_^” and it’s  written in chocolate garnish. Also 17 little candles that symbolized Tao’s age. It’s definitely a birthday cake for him! Without realizing, a wide smile appeared on his face. "OMO! This is so sweet", he thought. But who had been so kind to him?

"AH!" Tao heard someone groaning behind him. The voice was very familiar, he didn't even need to look to recognize. The guy was Kim Jongdae, the youngest son of Kim family who lived next door. In other word: he’s Tao’s neighbour.

No no no that's understatement. Jongdae was Tao’s best friend maybe since born (no wonder he could enter Tao’s house without knowing) who's only a year older. Slash the most perfect person in the world (in Tao's perspective). Slash someone whom he had crush on since a long time. And he blushed just by thinking about it.

Tao regretted why he didn't wash his face earlier or at least fixed his hair. His eyebags must be very prominent right now. He didn’t want to look like a crap in front of Jongdae. But it didn’t seem to be a problem anymore cause Jongdae was as messy as him at the moment.

 

"What a shame, my great plan had failed," Jongdae muttered.

"Screw you."

"Hey, I didn't expect you would wake up this early."

“I didn’t expect you to come either.”

 

Of course Tao didn’t expect that Jongdae would come. The latter seemed so busy with his school assignments yesterday. He almost thought Jongdae had forgotten his special day. Turned out, Jongdae didn’t.

Jongdae lit the candles while singing birthday song to Tao. “Happy birthday Panda~ Happy birthday Panda~”

Tao couldn’t stop smiling hearing it. Even a simple birthday song from Jongdae sounded like a beautiful serenade in his ears. He thought he could die from that happiness.

His cheeks flushed at the time Jongdae finished singing.

"My baby Panda already grown up, I'm so proud," Jongdae said while ruffling Tao's hair, a habit he often did to the younger since they're kid. Though he must stand on tip toe if he want to do that, because now Tao is taller than him. "Now make a wish."

"Hmm," Tao nodded excitedly and immediately closed his eyes to make a wish.

 

But after few seconds, the smile on his face slowly faded. There’s tear in the corner of his eyes and Jongdae immediately realized something didn’t go right.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Come on. Just tell me what happens."

"It's just ... I think my wish will never be granted."

"Why do you think like that? What do you wish anyway?"

"I wish ..."

"Tell me."

"I wish ... I wish ... to stop growing."

Jongdae blinked, didn’t believe what he just heard.

“What? You ... wish to stop ... growing?”

Tao nodded and Jongdae burst into laughter.

“Yah! Don’t laugh at me!”

“You’re silly, Tao,” still holding his stomach to stop him from laughing. “You know, other people will wish to grow tall like you –even me. But you wish for otherwise.”

Tao pouted cutely hearing it.

"Tell me. Why?" Jongdae asked when he's done laughing.

"Because-because ... I used to be your cute little dongsaeng. You used to be taller than me. You used to ruffle my hair and kiss my forehead. But you can't do that because I'm taller and bigger now. You will eventually leave me because I'm not cute anymore."

 

There's a long pause after he finished his words.

Tao didn't dare to look at Jongdae's face, suddenly regreted whatever he said before. 'Jongdae must think I'm crazy,' he thought.

"It doesn't make sense at all." Jongdae finally spoke.

Tao expected Jongdae step out of the room, leaving him alone. Instead, he jumped onto the kitchen corner in front of Tao. It made him being the same eye level with Tao. Tao had no idea why Jongdae suddenly did it.

“What are you doing!?”

The older boy only shrugged his shoulders.

"We have same height now! So where's the problem?"

"Jongdae-"

"I'm not gonna leave just because you're taller me. So stop worrying too much."

 

Maybe Jongdae's right, he just being silly. He's just worrying too much. But after all, Jongdae still there with him. Tao realized how much he liked the older boy. Suddenly Tao really wanted to kiss him right now. 

'Should I do it? Shouldn't I? Will it be okay? Maybe today is the right time.'

But he chose to brave himself in the end.

"Can you close your eyes for a moment? I want to give something to you ... hmm as my gratitude...." asked him to Jongdae.

The older boy immediately obeyed without any slightest suspicion. Tao took the time and quickly leaned toward Jongdae. Tao suddenly felt so nervous. He could even feel Jongdae’s breath on his face.

 

He didn’t expect Jongdae would open his eyes.

"BOO!"

Tao was shocked and immediately made a normal gap like they usually had.

"YAH!" He protested. Jongdae’s action felt like almost giving him a heart attack.

Jongdae grinned, "Do you wanna steal a kiss from me, don't you?"

"N-no! Of course not!"

Jongdae pulled Tao closer by his neck, "You're still cute, Tao. Eventhough you're bigger than me now."

Tao hardly breathe when Jongdae’s fingers began caressing his face gently. And those fingers intentionally stopped when they reached his lips.

"You know," Jongdae stared at his lips longily, "If it's just for kissing, I don't have to be taller."

Tao closed his eyes and leaned in. When they lips touched, he finally understood. As long as they're together, this height difference wouldn't be a problem at all.

 

- END-