Softly, Yet Swiftly.

Noragami Drabbles

  Hiyori opened the door to find Yato already asleep. Her heart ached for him, even though she'd never actually say that to him, lest he cling to her more than usual. After she had worriedly commented on Yato's self-isolation, Kofuku had taken her aside earlier and told her why Yato had seemed so sad and moody recently. It was simply because he had had the money to build his shrine in the palm of his hands, literally, but he would never, not even in his dreams, sell Yukine. Hiyori had understood that it was his dream to have his own shrine, and told Kofuku as much. She had simply nodded her head and said, "Yato would sooner give up his dream, than either you or Yukine. I don't think the two of you fully understand that. To be honest, I don't think that I, myself understand how loyal Yato really is." 

  The actual weight of what Kofuku had told her had been slowly processing in her mind, that a god, one as old as Yato,  who had been dreaming of his very own shrine since he had been a child, would rather choose a spirit and a human, whom he had met around only an year ago. She had been slowly making her way towards where Yato had burried himself under the futon. She sighed whilst lowering herself to sit next to where the back of his head was poking out. "I wonder why it's so important to you," she mused, running her fingers lightly through his hair. "I won't know if you don't tell me you stubborn idiot. If anything, I'll be more motivated to help you, you realize that don't you?" She smoothed his hair behind his ear, bent forward and dropped a soft, chaste kiss onto his cheek. Straigtning up, she whispered, "you spend so much time making people's wished come true. That too while being so optimistic and with a smile on your face. You're working so hard, with so many people by your side who support you. You'll definitely get your wish," she shut her eyes tight and took in a deep breath, "I'll make sure you do. I promise."

  She continued threading her fingers through his hair till it was time for her to go home. She was determined. She would give Yato his dream. She never realized how much she had grown to depend on the god, how much she had started to care whether he was sad or happy or worried. How much she looked forward to his antics. As she closed the door to his room, her hand still on the doorknob, she started to wonder how she could possibly build him his shrine. At this point, it was useless waiting for someone else, or even Yato himself, to build his shrine. But what would she be able to do? She was too young to own land, her parents would think she had gone a little wobbly in the head and her mother would flutter about her and worry for her mental health and he brother wasn't here to take her side. Even if she did manage to get land to build the shrine, she didn't have the money to get the shrine built, or the expertise to do it herself. She kept trying to find a way as she said goodbye to Kofuku and Daikoku, and reminded Yukine to do the homework she had assigned him. She kept thinking all the way home.

  On the other hand, as soon as Hiyori had left the room, Yato had brought his hand upto his face and had wiped off the tears of gratitude flowing from his eyes. It had been so difficult for him to be still and pretend to be asleep. He had wanted to fall into Hiyori's arms and let her comfort him. Especially after she had kissed him. After all, she had promised to make his millenia long wish come true. Even if she didn't fall through on this promise, it was still more than anything anyone had ever done for him. It had always been him doing favors for others. No one ever cared enough to actually properly thank him, so naturally, he had started asking for payment as a means to one day do himself a favor, and yet, the sincerity and determination in her voice, and the tenderness and care in her touches and her kiss had been enough to bring the mighty god to tears. He hadn't wanted her to see him cry. Not her. He wanted to tell her why having a shrine was so important to him, but his pride wouldn't let him. He didn't want pity. He simply wanted affection, to be given a symbol showing that he was wanted. That he was needed. He knew that raising his hopes would only hurt him. As a matter of fact, this was exactly what a thousand plus years worth of experience had taught him... but, this was Hiyori. He wanted to hope. He couldn't help but hope. If anything, his hopes had already risen too high.