Final

From Servant to Prince

“(Y/N), this is your new servant, Benji.” Your parents say to you. They push the boy forward and you watch as he almost trips. You notice he keeps his head down, not once making eye contact. You look up to your parents, saying a small ‘Thank you’ before they leave the library.

“You can make eye contact, you know. We’re all human, so we’re equal, okay?”

“Yes. Thank you, your Highness.” He says in a quiet voice.

“You can call me (Y/N). I’m not very fond of titles.” You say with a smile to Benji.

“Thank you, (Y/N).” Benji replies, offering a smile of this own.

  You’re sitting at the same table you sat at 6 years ago when you first met Benji. The two of you grew close, as, at the time, he was the only servant whose age was close to yours. You were reading a book waiting for Benji to come in to help you organize. Surprisingly, the library was often used, but the books were never returned to their respectful spots.
  You turn to the door upon hearing the hinges groaning in protest to being opened. You watch as Benji slips through the door, smiling as he sees you. When he nears the table, he apologizes.

“Sorry. I had to help Heedo, Minpyo, and Gunmin clean the dining room. Dinner will be done soon.”

“Well, at least you showed up.” You reply, laughing a little.

  You stand up, stretching a bit. You adjust your dress then turn to Benji. Motioning for him to do the same, you pick up a few books at a time, placing them back on the shelves. The both of you continued till you finished replacing the books.
  After finishing, you and Benji sat down at one of the tables and just talked with each other. It was these calm times you enjoyed the most. You turned towards the door, it was being opened.

“Dinner is done, your Highn- (Y/N).” Heedo said as he peeked his head into the room.

“Okay, I’ll be down in a few.” You replied, standing up once more, “I’ll help you with your chores, Benji. When I finish eating.”

  Once you arrived in the kitchen, you saw the various foods set out on the tables, all of which you thoroughly enjoyed. You quickly ate your food, wanting to finish soon, so you could help Benji. As soon as you were done and had thanked everyone for the food, you ran to the garden. Instantly, you headed to the greenhouse and opened the door.

“You finished your food quickly.” You heard Benji’s voice behind you.

“Like you’re one to talk, you ate just as fast if you’re here, too.”

  Benji laughs at your statement, then he passes you to water the plants. He hands you a watering can.

“We just need to water them. Then we’re done.” He said, smiling at you.

  You finish and head back into the castle. You figured it was probably a good time to decide to sleep. Your parents told you that they had guests coming over. You bid goodnight to Benji and head to your room. Your mind is filled with thoughts, most are random. You eventually drift off to sleep.
  You wake up when you hear knocks on the door of your room.

“Come in.” You say, voice thickly laced with sleep.

“Your parents have requested that you be finished dressing for the guests in an hour.” Benji says, his smile is now a grin, “I don’t think anyone would think you’re an heiress to the Jeon family with how you look when you wake up.”

  He closes the door fast enough to avoid the pillow that will be inevitably thrown in his direction. He hears the thump of the pillow against the wood and laughs, knowing you’ll hear it.
  You finish dressing in forty-five minutes and head down stairs to the dining hall. Once again, various dishes are being set on the table and you notice your parents are already seated at the table. You take a seat in one of the chairs.

“ The guests will be here in a few.” Your father says in his deep voice.

“Okay.” You reply.

  As if on cue, the doors open and reveal an older couple and, what you assume is, their son. You instantly realize why these guests are here, and you feel upset. You didn’t want to get married yet. You knew your freedom would be restricted and you wouldn’t be able to mess around with Benji anymore. But, you withheld your anger.

“Welcome! Welcome!” Your father greets with a big smile.

The guests bow and greet your parents then turn to you, while your mother introduces you, “This is our daughter, Jeon (Y/N).” And you bow.

“This is our son, Im Junghoon.” The older woman says looking at you.

“Pleased to meet you, Junghoon.” You say, bowing once more.

“Thank you, (Y/N).” He replies, bowing to you.

  You sit through dinner, suffering while trying to act like you were excited about meeting the heir to the Im family. In reality, you just wanted to hang out with Benji and mess around like you always do. You sighed, hoping no one notices. You really couldn’t wait till they left.
  When the Im family finally left, you were about to hop up and leave but you parents stopped you. You watched as your father motioned for some servants who were standing in the doorway of the room to clean the table.

“I’m sure you know why the Im family visited. What do you think about Junghoon?” Your father asked.

  Before you could answer him, one of the servants knocked one of the glasses over and profusely apologized to the head of the family. You realized it was Benji and you were slightly confused. He’s never really made mistakes like that. You and Benji made eye contact and he smiled. But you noticed that it didn’t reach his eyes. You knew something was wrong. They finished clearing the table and left. You looked at your father.

“He’s very nice, yes, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to rush to get married. I want to choose who to get married to, so please let me decide my life.” You say before getting up.

“Then you shall decide. I want you to be happy.” You hear your mother say, and you know it’s directed to your father.

  You quickly run into the garden, knowing Benji will be there. It’s where he would go anytime he was upset. You turn the familiar bends towards the fountain that you both would play around as kids. You see him sitting on the edge of the cement surrounding the water. He was looking up at the stars, then he sighed.

“Benji, what’s wrong?” You ask, watching as his body stiffens up.

“It’s nothing.” He shakes his head, as if it’ll change your mind.

“I know something is wrong. Don’t lie.”

“I don’t know what to do. Your parents want you to get married to another rich guy, and I can’t stop it.” He laughs bitterly, obviously frustrated.

  Slowly, his words seep into your mind and your eyes widen. And Benji continues.

“I knew it would happen at some point and I would be hurt, but I couldn’t help it. I know you probably think I’m crazy, but, (Y/N),  I love you. I’m not the perfect guy, but you’re the perfect girl. I know we’re not a match Heaven made, but with time, we could tell. All I’m asking for is a start. I’m not looking to touch your brain, I want to touch your heart.” He says and you could tell he was serious.

“Benji, you’re crazy.” You say and you see his shoulders droop. “But that makes two of us.”
  
  You can see the surprise written all over his face. And he hugs you tightly. You can practically feel his love in the way he hugs you.

  You told your parents about everything and told them that the one you wanted to marry is Benji. You’re mother was proud of you, you chose because of your love, not politics. You were happy when your mother agreed with you. The marriage was to happen in a week, and you couldn’t wait. 
  You and Benji were out in the garden, sitting at that same fountain. You talked about things that would happen, or things you wanted to happen. You knew you loved him and didn’t know why you didn’t realize till recently. You knew Benji felt the same. You smiled when Benji began to talk.

“I love you, (Y/N).” He says softly.

“I love you, too, Benji.”