1/1

Prince's Engagement, Marriage Arrangement

Prince’s Engagement, Marriage Arrangement

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

Chanyeol walked out of the lecture hall with sure steps that took him all the way towards a sleek black Audi waiting in front of the building. The spring air had finally broken through Korea’s cold winter and Chanyeol could not have been more happier. Everyone around campus began wearing less layers but the tall man was bundled up from head to toe. Because of his sensitivity to cold, Chanyeol could not give up his scarf, hat, or gloves, one of the many things that were keeping him from freezing, but they made him stand out too much from the crowd.

From his right side, Chanyeol heard his name being called.

“Yeol-ah! We’re heading to Pop’s, you coming with?” Another man, slightly shorter than Chanyeol with milky complexion and light pink hair, ran up to the standing man.

“Sorry, Sehun. I’ve got an appointment. I’ll meet you guys in lab?” Chanyeol’s mouth peeked from under his scarf and he tried to show a smile he had hoped was not hidden. Sehun seemed to be satisfied with his response and quickly nodded his head and ran back to the group of men waiting for him.

Chanyeol watched his friends wave back at him before they all walked to their hang out place where Chanyeol would rather be eating lunch at than at the place he was supposed to go to. Before he could chicken out of his “appointment” a man emerged from the car and swiftly walked up to the taller man.

“You must be Mr. Park,” the said man bowed with so much elegance that Chanyeol was slightly taken back. Chanyeol tried to reciprocate to the best of his abilities. “My name is Xiumin. I was assigned to take you around today.”

The way Xiumin talked was polite but with a sense of finality and Chanyeol was soon seated in the back of the car while Xiumin took his place behind the wheel. From what Chanyeol could tell, Xiumin looked very young. However, Chanyeol also knew that from the way Xiumin acted he was anything but young. His stature and face did not hinder the aura of importance and respect that the other man was spewing out.

“Where are we going?” Chanyeol managed to say. The car was too quiet.

“The lunch will be served at Jungsik Dang. It should take us no more than half an hour to get there.”

And with that the conversation ended and Chanyeol silently sighed.

He could not believe how quickly everything had happened in the past couple of days. It felt like only yesterday when he had received a call from his mother. The woman had not called him directly in the past three years. Being the youngest of four boys, not much was expected from him. His brothers were the center of all his parents attention and needs, and with a seven year gap from his third brother, he wasn’t very close with his siblings.

Chanyeol’s father, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Korea, was a powerful man. Ever since he was little, his father had raised his three sons to be the next leaders of Korea and only Chanyeol was exempt from his father’s expectations. In a way, Chanyeol was happy about it. He could focus on something he truly loved and not worry about other’s eyes on him for the rest of his life.

Thanks to his freedom, Chanyeol began studying language and literature from a very young age and was going to school to perfect his skills. However, that was where all of his “luck” had ran out.

News traveled fast and even Chanyeol knew that the Crowned Prince of China was going to be selecting a suitor, but never in his wildest dreams did Chanyeol think that he would be one of the “lucky” candidates for the position. His mother had been so happy delivering the news that Chanyeol could not find it within his heart to argue against her. Instead of fighting the woman, Chanyeol would rather save the energy and go to the matchmaking event and get a free lunch at some fancy restaurant. How bad could that be? It wasn’t like Chanyeol was truly a strong candidate to be picked as the suitor so he had nothing to worry about. However, with that being said, he was still about to meet a royalty and he was beginning to feel the early onset of neves.

“We are here.” Xiumin announced, breaking Chanyeol’s internal thoughts. He took a deep breath and got his heart and mind ready for what was about to happen.

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

The room was nice. The restaurant was nice. The people were nice. Unfortunately, Chanyeol could not stop himself from thinking of all things negative that could happen to him before, during, and after meeting the Crowned Prince. What if the Prince couldn’t speak Korean and Chanyeol had to use his Mandarine knowledge that were nowhere near proper enough to address the Royalty? What if he chokes on his food or spills a drink on the man? What if he unintentionally starts a war between two nations?

Suddenly, the door to the private room opened and Chanyeol quickly stood up. The man exhaled when Xiumin walked into the room.

“I apologize for the inconvenience. There had been some problems with the Crowned Prince’s schedule and he won’t be joining you today.”

Chanyeol’s ears perked up at the news and he nodded his head with little too much enthusiasm.

“Should I leave then?” Chanyeol asked, hopeful.

Xiumin raised his hands and his already large eyes increased in size.

“No, I must ask you to accept a lunch as an apology for not keeping our appointment. Actually, another had been sent in the Crowned Prince’s stead. He should be here shortly.”

“Someone else is coming?” Chanyeol’s tone noticeably changed.

“If it puts you at ease,” Xiumin commented with a knowing look in his eyes, “he’s not someone you should be concerned about. If I’ve heard correctly, he volunteered to join you only so that he could eat lunch here.”

When put that way, Chanyeol did somehow feel better. It was just like some days on campus when Chanyeol’s friends had other plans and he had to eat by himself, sharing a table with a random stranger. It would be something very similar, only that it would be just them two.

In less than five minutes the door opened again to reveal a significantly taller man walking into the room. Chanyeol, out of practice, stood up to greet his lunch companion and when the man fully turned to face him, Chanyeol took a deep breath.

The stranger was definitely taller than him. His shoulders were broad and the tailored jacket and pants accentuated every part of the man’s body, in an annoyingly good way. His face was a whole another story. Chanyeol would consider himself relatively attractive, occasionally his face had been described as cute, and the group of friends he hung around were accustomed at having eyes from fellow students on them. However, this man was a level above them all. Chanyeol wondered if the people working for the royal family were all very attractive.

The man took only two steps from the door and was already standing at an arm’s distance from Chanyeol. He raised his right arm and Chanyeol did the same.

“Mr. Park, I’m Kris,” the man, Kris shook Chanyeol’s hand and paused for a second before speaking again, “I’m the Crowned Prince’s assistant,” another pause, “of a sorts, I suppose.”

“Chanyeol is fine,” Chanyeol reciprocated with a smile, “pleasure to meet you.”

“Yes, well,” Kris walked around the table and indicated for Chanyeol to sit down. “It’s my first time here but I’ve heard great things about the food.”

Chanyeol sat down and a waiter, out of nowhere it seemed, came over to their table and began pouring drinks and preparing their table for the first course. The remainder of their lunch was spent in similar fashion. A man would come into their private room to set their food or refill their drinks and Kris only commented on the food and nothing much more.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, did not really mind it all. He had been far too stressed about meeting a royalty that having Kris as his dining companion put his mind at ease. He remembered his manners and etiquette and truly enjoyed the food that the restaurant prepared for them. However, once they were served their dessert, a lemon parfait, Kris actually began speaking.

“I was told that you were a student.”

“Yes,” Chanyeol answered after he had swallowed, “I’m attending Yonsei University. Working towards my Master’s Degree in both Korean Literature and Mandarin.”

“And how do you like studying Mandarin?”

“It’s hard but I enjoy it immensely. I’ve actually had been learning other languages but Mandarin always stood out to me so I decided to study it in university as well.” Chanyeol studied Kris’s reaction as he spoke and the man seemed content with the flow. It made Chanyeol wonder if the other man was also his age. He seemed both old and young. Something like Xiumin as well, but maybe reversed? Kris looked mature but there seemed to be a great deal of youthfulness in his eyes. “If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?”

Kris raised his brow and a small smirk appeared on the ends of his lips.

“I believe I’m same age as you.”

“Oh? Are you also a student or already started working?”

“I suppose the Royal family is my work,” Kris answered with an annoyed look but then his eyes widened, “not that I’m complaining.”

Chanyeol nodded his head in understanding. He had just finished eating his dessert and decided to check the time. He had another five hours until he had to be on campus. Because of a group project he had to actually go back but usually he would just head home after grading some papers. Maybe he could do some shopping around Gangnam.

“Well, thank you for treating me to lunch, it was very delicious. I think I’m gonna head out. If that’s all right?”

Kris’s hand halted on its way towards his mouth but his facial expression did not change much.

“Yes, I suppose you should.” He cleared his throat.

Chanyeol stood up and made sure that he had his phone and wallet before bowing. Kris nodded his head back in return but the face that was not directed towards Chanyeol seemed strangely disappointed that it made Chanyeol’s steps falter. Chanyeol hadn’t realized he was entertaining an idea of inviting the man; however, before he could assess his own thoughts, his mouth opened.

“If I’m not overstepping my boundaries,” Chanyeol started, “I’m planning on going to some stores around here, would you like to join me?”

Kris’s eyes opened for only a split second before he took a napkin resting on his lap to pat his lips. He then stood up and cleared his throat.

“I had been wanting to visit some stores too.”

“Great!” Chanyeol smiled at the man who was walking over to him. The man opened the door and waited for Chanyeol to exit before following after. Once Chanyeol entered the main dining room of the restaurant, his eyes widened to see the place empty except for a dozen of men in tailored suits standing near doors and looking extremely menacing. Bodyguards, most likely. From his side line, Chanyeol saw Xiumin walking over to them.

“Xiumin, Chanyeol and I are going to look around. Let the prince know I would be coming later than I had planned.” Kris said with a very plain tone and a strong stare at the shorter man.

Xiumin’s eyes looked slightly confused before a sense of realization washed over his face.   

“Of course, yes, the prince. I will. The prince will be informed. The prince, yes.” The shorter man nodded and stepped to the side so the two men could begin their shopping spree. Right before Chanyeol took his first step out of the restaurant he heard Kris address Xiumin again.

“I have everything on me so don’t bother with guards.”

Chanyeol looked back to see the other man stepping out.

“Any specific places you would like to stop by?” Chanyeol asked out of politeness. Kris was a foreigner so Chanyeol was completely willing to be a tour guide if the man needed one.

Kris shook his head and a small smile graced his lips.

“I’ll just follow you for now and let you know if anything catches my eye.”

That was good enough for Chanyeol so be began making his way towards a bookstore that he frequented. He could feel the other man’s presence radiating from his side and it was not hard to ignore the looks he was getting from other people on the street. Fortunately for him, majority of his face was covered under his scarf so he didn’t care much for others eyes on him. Kris didn’t seem to care if anyone was looking his way.

They soon found themselves in front of a green wooden door that had a small open sign hanging off of a blue nail. Yifan raised one sculpted eyebrow at Chanyeol in a question and Chanyeol only smiled before pulling the man through the door.

The interior of the store was one from a fairytale, just the way Chanyeol liked it. Something one would find in a castle protected by dragons or something. There were rows after rows of books from floor to ceiling and small lamp like lights in every corner. The smell of books and black tea seeped through every corner and a giant smile spread across Chanyeol’s face. He turned around to face Kris as he took of his scarf and hat.

“Impressive right? Welcome to my secret hideout!” Chanyeol announced proudly.

Kris’s face remained unchanged, however, Chanyeol could tell that he was taking his time observing everything that was presented to him. He also took off his scarf.

“Actually, I had ordered a book. You see, this place is really good at getting some rare books, if you’re willing to pay the price and wait for it. And when I heard they finally got it, since I would be coming here for lunch, I just couldn’t wait to come and get it. I will be real quick, okay? Here,” Chanyeol’s fingers naturally encircled around Yifan’s wrist as he pulled the man towards the back area with a maroon loveseat and, gently, pushed the man to sit down. He hurried himself towards the shelf he knew too well about and came back with a book. “Read through this. It has all the secret but completely amazing places in Seoul that you should definitely visit before leaving. If you find something that’s close by I will personally take you there since you accompanied me to get my book, okay? Okay!” And off went Chanyeol before Kris could even get a word.

Kris watched the man almost bounce to a help desk with a woman who seemed to recognize the energetic man and returned the same enthusiasm right back at him. They talked for a moment before Chanyeol followed the woman to the back of the store.

Long fingers ran through Kris’s black hair as he adjusted himself on the loveseat. The book on his lap was pretty heavy but before he could open it he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket.

“Hello?”

Your Highness,” Xiumin’s concerned voice sounded even more concerned than usual, “before you say anything, allow me to say something. I know it was I who agreed to go along with this game of yours. But I only agreed because we, you and I, agreed that it would be under my supervision. Nowhere in our agreement did we talk about you walking around without your guards in the streets of Seoul!

“Xiumin,” Kris sighed, “first of all, thank you for playing along, I truly appreciate it. Second, I just wanted to go out for a second. Plus, no one knows what I look like. I doubt I would attract trouble, also, it’s nice.” He looked back at the door which Chanyeol had went through. “I’m having fun, believe it or not.”

Sire, forgive me for overstepping my boundaries and making assumptions, but you have never agreed to your previous suitors requests to leave the restaurant. Could there be something about Mr. Park that made you agree this time?

The hopeful tone in Xiumin’s voice made Kris’s eye twitch. Why was everyone so concerned about his marital life?

“Nonsense, I just got bored being locked up this whole week. Plus, I wanted to do some sightseeing and Chanyeol seems to be the only one willing to take me around.”

Sire...

Chanyeol popped out of the room with a paper bag in his arms and he turned around to bow to the woman who had helped him. Kris could tell that Chanyeol was very happy, his emotions were written all over his face.

“Xiumin, I must go now. I know you have a tracker on me so just follow that and don’t try to get in my way. I will contact you when I’m ready to be picked up.” And with that he hung up his phone without needing to hear any affirmations.

“Did you pick any places?” Chanyeol plopped his body next to Kris’s, little too close, but expected since they were both larger than normal and the small loveseat was probably designed to fit in tight places.

Kris regrettably shook his head. Chanyeol’s eyes widened at Kris’s response. He quickly reached over for the book and began looking through it himself.

“There is no way you didn’t find a place. Here!” Kris looked down to see a small shop that sold handmade trinkets and puzzles and so many other things. “This place would be amazing if you wanted to buy gifts! Or here!” This time it was a place where people could make their own Korean style puppets. “Experiences like these are only available in Korea! You have to go!”

Kris looked back up at the man’s face and his once stoic face broke into his own version of a bright smile the Chanyeol’s face was more accustomed to. It was indeed nice.

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

“As promised,” a man in his late fifties leaned back into his chair, his white suit jacket with a large dragon crest all in gold printed on the pocket moving with each breath, “I honored my part of the deal, now it’s your turn to honor yours.” Others were seated around him looking as well put together as one would expect the Royal Court to look in the conference room that was immense in size but to Yifan it felt like the tightest place on Earth.

He had been called to see his father that morning to discuss his and the nation’s future. The moment he stepped into the room he was placed under the scrutiny of dozens of high standing members of the Royal Court, the people who would be his future advisors and loyal followers, but right now they felt like the enemy more than confidants.

“I allowed you to study and do whatever you pleased for the past ten years. Now that you’re turning 26 in three months you must start taking on your true responsibilities. Starting with finding a partner that would be besides you during your coronation. Yes?”

True to his father’s words, Yifan had been enjoying himself for the past ten years. On his sixteenth birthday Yifan held a counsel to announce his plans. He had demanded that he would be allowed to live his young days away from the Royal title. To his surprise, the family and the court had agreed. Well, with their own demands.

Yifan was a man of his word.

“Yes, as promised, I have returned for good.”

“Good,” everyone in the room seemed to relax, excluding Yifan, “we have been preparing suitors for you. We believe that if you were to select a person from outside the country the bonds between the nations would strengthen. Starting from from next week you will begin your meetings.”

Yifan could only nod. He knew this day was coming and he could have resisted but here he was, standing and accepting the reality.

The arranged meetings were more of a blur than anything. Yifan barely remembered who he had met before he was looking at another completely unknown face. All of the men and women of his own country were nice, little too nice. Everyone felt so fake to him that he couldn’t do anything but scoff at everything that came out of their mouths.

After his marriage campaign visit in Japan, the second country out of five that he would be visiting, he concocted a plan. While meeting with over thirty different individuals he began seeing patterns. Because they all knew that he was the Crowned Prince, their actions were extremely calculated and, well, fake. He almost ordered Xiumin, his real assistant, to go along with his plan.

Since no one knew what the Crowned Prince looked like he would pretend to be his assistant and see how his suitors would react to him. Yifan prided in his ability to read people like open books and he was not disappointed with the results. Many showed general annoyance and some brave one’s voiced out their agitation. Others, to Yifan’s horror, began hitting on him even after being told that he was not their intended “date.” And there were those rare few who just stood up and left even before Yifan walked into the room.

Korea had been the last country, the last place Yifan had to sit through lunches or dinners with strangers. On his third day Yifan was instructed to have a lunch with a man who was the youngest son of the Chief Justice. He was slightly taken back because he had seen pictures of the Chief Justice’s sons and they were all much older than him and didn’t seem like the friendly bunch. However, the man who greeted him as he walked into the private room was someone completely different.

The man was younger than expected but very attractive, nonetheless. He was tall and had bright, warm eyes that matched his smile. His voice was deep but his manners were gentle and not at all forced. Yifan had done his best to read the man during their lunch and he was pleased to know that Chanyeol did not hide anything. Everything was painted on his face. The tea must have been more bitter because of the way he scrunched up his nose, the butter must have been not to his liking because he looked like a kicked puppy eating his bread without any topping, and his dinner must have been exactly to his liking because one could see the flowers blooming behind his eyes.

Without realizing, Yifan had agreed to go shopping with the man.

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

“I’m so sorry for ruining your clothes!” Chanyeol’s large eyes looked ready to start crying at any minute. Yifan shook his head and patted the man’s shoulder in hopes to reassure him.

“You bought me clothes to change into as an apology and it wasn’t all your fault.”

They had stopped by a food vender to get some chicken and beer after their long day of shopping and sightseeing. While reaching over to grab some tissue paper, Yifan’s scarf had dropped from his shoulder and almost landed on the chicken. Almost, because Chanyeol had moved to save the cloth but ended up knocking Yifan’s beer onto the man’s jacket and pants. After the incident Chanyeol freaked out saying that Yifan would die from freezing and dragged him to a closest store to buy him clean and dry replacements.

“Yeah, but still. I tried saving the chicken and instead killed your clothes. And they seemed to be expensive too.”

Yifan laughed at the other’s misery mainly because he was making such a big deal out of it all. It seemed to Yifan that Chanyeol had completely forgotten that he’s from money and could easily replace the clothes if needed. However, that was something Yifan had noticed about Chanyeol.

Ever since they left the bookstore with a list of places that Chanyeol was determined to take Yifan to he had treated Yifan more like a tourist and a friend than a person working for the Royal family.

Chanyeol looked at Yifan like he was ready to argue his case when he stopped and took out his phone. After reading over the words on the screen his eyes widened.

“, it’s already this late.” Their eyes locked again. “I have to apologize again. I had a meeting with my friends like thirty minutes ago and obviously totally forgot about it!”

Yifan could not stop laughing around the man.

“No, you should get going. I usually don’t have people spilling things on me so it was very refreshing. I totally forgive you.”

“Right,” Chanyeol handed the bags he was carrying to Yifan, “I will forever apologize for my clumsiness. Well, I hope you had fun today, Kris!” He man waved back one last time before running around the corner. Yifan had managed to wave back as well and looked down at his hands filled with bags with things that he honestly didn’t realise he had bought.

“Sire.”

Yifan almost jumped at the voice and turned around to see Xiumin standing with the doors to the car open. It was time for Yifan to go back.

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

Chanyeol stepped out of his bathroom with a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth. His phone had been ringing and it seemed like it was not going to stop anytime soon so he decided that someone had to be dying or at least dying for his attention.

Unknown caller. Usually, Chanyeol never answered unknown calls mainly because someone could have figured out that he was the youngest son of the Chief Justice and was calling to bother him about it. But, maybe he had been too tired to care, he ended up answering.

Hello?” Came a familiar voice.

“Hello?”

Is this Chanyeol?

“Yes?” He was trying to remember where he had heard the voice from.

This is Kris.” Ah, Kris! “I apologize, were you busy?

“You’re apologizing this time?” Chanyeol just couldn’t let the opportunity pass. “But no, I just got up and getting ready for the day.”

I got a free day today so I was wondering if I could have you be my tour guide today. You did such a great job last time, buying me new clothes and everything!

Chanyeol could hear the other man smiling. They met three days ago and Chanyeol clearly remember every moment of the day with Kris. The Chinese man had been stiff in the beginning but soon loosened up and enjoyed his time sightseeing, much to Chanyeol delight. He always loved it when he could make those around him calm and relaxed.

“Sure! I have a meeting for my thesis in an hour and it should only last for an hour. I should be free after that!”

Perfect, I’ll meet you at that coffee place you told me last time, the one near your campus?

“Sound good. See you around eleven then.”

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

Yifan went on three more arranged meetings after his lunch with Chanyeol. They all had been like the previous ones but Yifan could not bring himself to care because his mind kept going back to Chanyeol and everything they did that day.

After thinking about it for two days, Yifan had decided to consult his closest friend who just happened to come to Korea to “support” his friend. He knew that Luhan’s true purpose in visiting Korea was so that he could marvel at Yifan’s misery.

“It sounds like you really the guy.” Was Luhan’s nonchalant response. “From everyone you had told be about I think this Chanyeol is the best option. Mainly because I doubt he will agree to marry you.” That was the only thing that had stuck with Yifan.

He kept wondering why Luhan would come to that conclusion. Of course Chanyeol was clueless to who Yifan really was but he did come to their lunch date knowing he was a possible suitor for the Crowned Prince. Surely he agreed to the possibility that he could be chosen and thus have to accept the Prince’s hand in marriage.

Yifan didn’t want to dwell on what if’s and decided to just ask the man himself. Luckily, Chanyeol didn’t seem to notice anything wrong when they met at the coffee shop that Chanyeol frequented with his friends. He told Yifan that he had another meeting in two hours so could only do his “guide” work till then. But Yifan refused to move because he was “tired from working with the prince and wanted to just sit for a bit.” Chanyeol had accepted that but decided to write down places Yifan should visit while he was still in Korean. The man seemed to take his job very seriously so Yifan just let him be.

“Tell me, Chanyeol, what do you know about the Prince?”

Chanyeol doesn’t stop roaming through his phone and writing down places on a small note paper he took out of his backpack.

“Nothing, really.”

“Nothing?” That couldn’t be right. “So when you were told that you were meeting him as a possible suitor you weren’t inclined to look up things about the Prince?”

Chanyeol shook his head.

“Not really. My mom sounded like she really wanted me to go but I just couldn’t bring myself to care about it. But I did get free lunch!” He looked up this time and paused, “And made a friend!”

“Wait,” Yifan had to think about what he was going to say, “so you are saying that if you were happened to be selected and had to marry the Prince you wouldn’t care?”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at that.

“Oh God no! That’s not what I meant. I honestly didn’t even expect to be selected in the first place. I haven’t even thought that far.” He pursed his lips in thought. “Now that I think about it, if I did get selected I’m not too sure I would want to marry him. No offense to the Prince. I’m sure he’s great, I mean, he has to lead a nation some day right? But, knowing me, my personality, I don’t think I would really suit the role of the Prince’s partner.”

“And why is that?” Yifan wondered aloud with a tone way too serious that Chanyeol looked slightly shocked.

“Um,” Chanyeol sighed, “I just don’t want to live like that, I suppose, is the best answer. I mean, my father is the Chief Justice and my mother is an actress. There is a reason why when you look up their names my name doesn’t show up. I did my best to stay out of that world and, frankly, getting engaged to the Prince would just spit at all that effort.”

Yifan and Chanyeol stayed quiet after that until Chanyeol’s phone reminded them of his appointment.

“I should get going. I’m sorry for ruining the mood.”

“No, no,” Yifan managed to smile, “I brought it up.”

“Well, to add to what I had said earlier, I would like to have a chance to fall in love, you know? I know that that’s the romantic in me speaking but I would bet my money that the Crowned Prince would also want that option. So,” Chanyeol reached down to push the paper filled with places for Kris to visit towards the other man, “see you around?”

“Of course, soon.” Chanyeol waved and left through the crowd of students now entering the coffee shop. “Hopefully.”

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

“Mom, can you talk slower. I just finished writing twenty page paper.”

Chanyeol rubbed his temples out of a habit of whenever he did assignments. Or spoke to his mother.

Why is it that you study literature but fail in grasping spoken words?

“Mom...” a deep sigh, “just tell me what you said again, but slowly.”

Well, sweetie, I’m just losing my mind because the Crowned Prince’s birthday party is coming up and we are invited! Of course, everyone who is anyone is going to show up from all around the world and the fact that he is hosting the celebration in Seoul might mean that he has picked his suiter from here!

“And?” Chanyeol wanted for his mother to get to the point.

And? And! And I know that the Prince met only hand full of people and you were one of them!

Wait... what? Was that what she was trying to imply?

“Well, I’m sorry to disappoint but I didn’t actually meet the Prince. So I highly doubt it would be me.”

There was a sigh.

Rumor has it that he didn’t see any of his dates, something about him sending a specialist in his place. I don’t know how the minds of the royalty work but either way, I think you have as much of a chance to be selected as any! I think he’s going to announce the person he wants to get married to during his birthday ball! Isn’t that so romantic?

“Mother, please. I’m about to graduate and have so many things to finish before that. Do you honestly expect me to drop everything just so that I can go to a fancy party and act like I want to be picked? Why don’t you just send me the time and location and I’ll see if I can manage it into my schedule.”

Chanyeol still needed to edit the paper and start his fourth one out of ten that needed to be completed. He did not have time for any of this.

Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that my son was the world leader that was way beyond any Royal events. Shame on me for thinking that you cared enough to attend an event with you dear family!

His mother was very dramatic sometimes. No wonder she was a famous actress, natural talent and all.

“Just send me the invite, okay?”

Fine!

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

There were too many people in a single place. Granted, the Chinese Embassy was designed for the Royal family and meant for hosting giant events; however, as Chanyeol huddled up in the corner with a glass of champagne in his hand, he could not believe how many people had come to celebrate the Prince’s birthday.

His mother, being the stubborn woman that she was, had sent him a tuxedo the morning of the event and Chanyeol had sat in his living room contemplating if he should attend the event. However, he would not admit it aloud but his mind was made when he received a message from Kris asking if Chanyeol was coming. Out of nowhere, Chanyeol had wanted to see the other man and decided, why not?

So here he was, looking as inconspicuous as possible, checking his phone because he had sent a message asking where Kris was and that they should meet before he bolts.

“Excuse me, Mr. Park?”

Chanyeol’s eyes moved away from his phone screen onto a familiar face of Xiumin.

“I was asked to you to meet Kris.”

The taller man nodded his head and happily followed the other man through the crowd of well dressed individuals ready to impress the Royal family.

The two walk for less than ten minutes, which is a long time in Chanyeol’s opinion, until they reached a room where Yifan was lounging on a sofa with a glass of wine in his hand. When Chanyeol entered the room Yifan was alerted and a smile blossomed on his face.

“Chanyeol, I’m glad you made it.”

“Well, I was invited by the Prince’s assistant. I couldn’t decline.” He sat down across from Yifan. The room was cozy and smelled of books.

“Yes, of course. Actually there is a reason why I had asked you to come today.”

“Oh? Another tour?”

The smile on Yifan’s face was nice and Chanyeol thought that he should wear it more often.

“Yes, of a sorts? I had things arranged and it’s been decided that, well, I’m staying here!”  

Chanyeol looked surprised but also slightly confused. Yifan realized that he had to elaborate a little more.

“A person I know works here and I’m going to work for him. I’m not sure how long I’m going stay though, but in the meantime I would appreciate all the help I can get.”

A light bulb in Chanyeol’ head and Yifan sighed in relief.

“Well, I’m your man then! I’m graduating in two weeks actually and will start working in a publishing house. I will be totally able to take you out like an adult.” Chanyeol couldn’t keep the smug look off of his face.

“An adult? I hadn’t realized that getting your Master’s Degree would make one an adult. Aren’t you 25?”

“Hey, hey,” Chanyeol leaned back into his seat, “just accept the offer.”

“Well, how about I accept it right now? Wanna go get some chicken and beer?” Yifan raised his empty hand in mock defense. “Only if you promise that my pants would be safe this time, of course!”

Chanyeol had a small hint of blush that disappeared as fast as it spread. He raised his hand this time.

“I swear!”

“Perfect! Let’s get out of here before anyone comes looking for either of us.”

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

Yifan walked into the bedroom carrying a tray. His bare feet quietly gliding over the hardwood floor of his bedroom that had the morning sunrays seeking out every crevice of the room. He looked over the tray of eggs and toast with plenty of butter and two cups of hot coffee to make sure that he didn’t forget anything this time and a smile easily spread on his face when his eyes move towards the man splayed out amongst the white sheets and pillows.

“Chanyeol-ah,” tray securely placed on the nightstand, he leaned in for a kiss, “it’s time for work.”

“Don’t wanna.” Chanyeol’s hoarse voice reached Yifan’s ears. He stretched out his arms with a small pout until Yifan gave in and leaned down again. Chanyeol skillfully pulled the other back into the bed and snuggled right into the other man’s body.

The birthday celebration was a long forgotten story in Chanyeol’s memory where they skillfully evaded any people, especially the press and his parents, and made their way towards Chanyeol’s university where there were plenty of stores and street food. The next day, Chanyeol remembered hearing something about the Prince’s allergies or another and the party still being the ‘it’ thing of the year, but he didn’t care for it at all. He was busy helping Kris find a new apartment that was both close to his own and Kris’s new work.  

The two, as promised, went out on multiple (76, Chanyeol counted) trips as their little Korean Tour Adventure and it soon became blatantly apparent to both men that the trips were turning more into dates. Chanyeol, very proudly, would state that he was the one who had asked Kris to become his official boyfriend and convinced Kris that he truly liked the man even when Kris said, “you might not like me if you knew everything about me.” Please, like that wasn’t the most cliche thing Chanyeol had heard before. He was a literature nerd! His response was, “Unless you have killed someone I honestly don’t care! Even then I might make an exception just for you.” Yifan looked unsure but Chanyeol’s kiss was convincing enough.

It had been officially two years and three months since he met Kris and he could not bring himself to think what those years could have been if Kris wasn’t part of it.

“Come on, we really need to get up!” Kris tried but he himself made no effort to move. He actually encircled his arms around Chanyeol’s head, burying it deeper into his chest.

“Only if you kiss me!”

Chanyeol got his morning kiss with a smug grin.

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

“Chanyeol, do you love me?”

“Why?” Chanyeol sighed as he turned to face Yifan who was sitting right next to him. “Why are we back in the Chinese Embassy? And why are you acting like this? Is something wrong? Is it your Visa?”

Yifan had picked Chanyeol up from his work and had been acting very strange since then. Chanyeol had tried everything in his book to get the man to fess up but nothing worked. Soon he was brought to the embassy building, much to his surprise.

“Please, just answer me? I really need it!” Yifan was starting to beg now.

“Kris,” Chanyeol took the man’s hands into his own, “everything I’ve been telling you till this moment have all been my honest thoughts. I love you like crazy and I don’t know why you keep asking me this. Now, tell me what got you acting like this.”

Before Yifan could open his mouth the doors to the waiting room they were seated in opened to reveal ten or so people gracefully trickling in. Among the well dressed individuals Chanyeol quickly recognized that one stood out like no other because he was like no other.

Chanyeol had never stood up and bowed so fast in his life that he felt slightly dizzy.

“Your Highness.”

From his peripheral vision Chanyeol could tell that Yifan was still seated and staring straight at the man who Chanyeol was busy bowing to.

“Father.”

Wait, what? Chanyeol’s saw Yifan stand up from his seat so that he was right next to him. Soon he felt the man’s strong arm around his hips pulling him closer.

“This is Park Chanyeol. He is the youngest son of the Chief Justice Park and the reason why I stayed behind after making that deal with you.”

“You two look well together. But from the young man’s face, I’m guessing you didn’t tell him?”

Yifan took a deep breath and his hold on Chanyeol’s waist tightened.

“Kris?”

“Yifan, actually. Wu Yifan.” Was all Yifan could say while looking at those eyes that he could not look away from.

Much to Yifan’s surprise, Chanyeol closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and finally said.

“Yifan, may I speak with you in private?”

Chanyeol had always been level headed, something Yifan came to admire the man about, so Yifan nodded his head and looked back at the people in the room. With a silent agreement, Yifan escorted Chanyeol to a room opposite of the waiting room and Chanyeol did not say a word until the doors were locked.

“Prince Yifan?”

“Yes.”

The look in Chanyeol’s eyes were one of deep concentration, the same look he has whenever he is editing a new book or working on his own writing. Yifan loved sitting next to him whenever he was working but right now was slightly different. The Chinese man did not know what to expect and was ready to face anything Chanyeol was going to decide upon.

“Wait, so when we met the first time, I actually did meet the Crowned Prince. And the reason why the Prince did not show up during his birthday celebration was because you were outside with me eating skewers. And that time when we moved in together, Xiumin looked really awkward, because he knew you were the Prince and he had to address you informally.”

“Yes?” Yifan knew that Chanyeol was not asking any of these. He was simply stating out his notes and observations; however, he felt the need to make aware of his own presence in front of the man.

“Why? Why did you hide it all this time and,” there was a slight uncertainty in his eyes this time, “what was the reason for you staying here? Was it me?”

Yifan was mentally preparing himself all day during board meetings because he knew that Chanyeol would want the truth. He was prepared.

“The reason for hiding my identity the first time was so that I could assess the individuals I was meeting based on their true selves rather than the front they put up in front of royalty. But I was drawn towards you and we just hit it off so well. I kept wanting to meet you and was actually going to reveal myself until you said that you would decline the prince’s hand in union. Don’t get me wrong, I wholly agreed with your reasoning so I thought that I better win you over like any normal person.”

Yifan took a step closer and Chanyeol did not try to move away. The Prince saw that as a good sign.

“In order to do so, I made another deal with my father. I promised him that I would work for my uncle's company and double the revenue in five months or else I would go back to China and marry any person he picks for me. Of course, I did mention that another reason for wanting to stay was so I could seriously pursue another and my father luckily saw things from my side. As promised, I doubled the revenue and also at that time you asked me to be your boyfriend and my family saw that as progress and allowed me to continue staying here. I was so happy because any moment I spend with you was worth anything my family put me through and I just wanted to tell you everything, but.”

Chanyeol reached forward and took Yifan’s hands into his own. The touch surprised Yifan and he stopped talking altogether. He must have been talking fast because his throat feels slightly strained.

“I think I get the jest of the story. But before anything, let me ask you something.” His face was now only centimeters away from Yifan’s and the brown eyes digging into Yifan’s. “Do you love me?”

“With everything.” Was Yifan’s answer in a heartbeat. The beautiful smile that Yifan adores took over Chanyeol’s face and he leaned in for a deep kiss. Yifan happily reciprocated the affection and let the other man take the lead, controlling the speed and the strength.

Soon he felt Chanyeol’s fingers release his hand and tangle themselves in Yifan’s dark locks, pulling the man even closer. He placed his own hands around Chanyeol’s waist and a content sigh escaped through his lovers plush lips.

The two could have continued on for the longest time if it weren’t for the knock on the door.

“Your Highness, the King and the Counsel still wait for you two.”

Chanyeol pulled back just enough to speak.

“So, the King likes making deals?”

Ktxe_tQOgL6PG968Q_fjWt-OEJ_Qk_Qb2_4HfzEE

“Shouldn’t you be, oh I don’t know, getting ready instead of editing these?” Luhan’s thin fingers glide over the papers stacked on Chanyeol’s work desk in his office room.

“I won’t be able to concentrate on anything else if I don’t get these done! I literally have two pages left.” Chanyeol softy smacked Luhan’s thigh that was getting too touchy feely with his desk and the man need to respect his work station. Chanyeol had told Luhan that many times, unsuccessfully.

“But your wedding is tomorrow! Your priorities are not straight!” Luhan retaliated by smacking Chanyeol’s hand away from his keyboard.

Wedding. Yes, the wedding was going to happen tomorrow and Chanyeol really needed to finish the edits tonight. Being engaged to a Royalty meant that everything was taken care of but Chanyeol, being the perfectionist that he was, needed to make sure everything went just as he and Yifan had planned.

After Yifan had revealed his true identity, Chanyeol took his time getting every little detail out of the man’s mouth. On that same day Yifan proposed to Chanyeol in front of his father and, basically, everyone and Chanyeol accepted with a grace of someone worthy of a Prince. However, an hour later he requested for an audience with the King and made a very elaborate deal with his future father-in-law.

Yifan and him were to live quietly until the official coronation, which will also be their wedding. That gave him time to make a name for himself as the head editor for his publishing house and publish books in both Korean and Mandarin. The two later moved to China where Chanyeol was allowed to start his own publishing company while Yifan officially took over his true work of running a country.

“Why are you even here? Aren’t you supposed to be Yifan’s best men, thus be with him right now? Instead of here?” Chanyeol tried to not sound annoyed. But they both knew that Luhan loved annoying Chanyeol even more than annoying Yifan because “his reaction is so genuine and cute” was how Luhan justified himself.

“Because I’m his best man I’m here to deliver a message!”

After announcing their wedding date, the two of them were prohibited from seeing one another a week before the ceremony. It was tradition. Of course through technology it didn’t feel all that bad to not see one another. It was strange to not have a warm body next to them during nights but they constantly had their phones on alert.

Chanyeol perked up and Luhan proudly handed the man a small box.

“Said it was something very special and a wedding gift of a sorts.” The smaller man shrugged and jumped off of the desk much to Chanyeol’s delight. He waved bye and exited the office with a knowing smile.

Chanyeol looked over the box and found nothing to indicate what was inside it. It was small enough to fit on his palm and the soft black velvet material did nothing to help Chanyeol’s curious mind.

Upon opening the box he took out a folded paper.

Chanyeol,

Do you remember that door you always asked if it had a secret passage behind it? Well, as my gift to you I have been doing my best to build the thing that I knew you will cherish and appreciate the most. Try opening that door with this key that I have found and see what it leads you to...

With Love,

Yifan

Chanyeol was up on his feet and running down the hallways of the giant house that he now called his home towards the bedroom he shared with Yifan. The past seven days, neither of them had slept in their beds and when he entered the room he was greeted with familiarity except for the door that had been painted over between their dressing rooms. However, this time the door was no longer the same color as the wall but the same deep burgundy shade as the rest of the furniture in the room.

He took out the key from the box and with a deep breath unlocked the door. The hallway behind the door was well lit and it lead Chanyeol to another door, more grand and ancient looking than any in the house. The door was unlocked and Chanyeol gasped when he stepped into the enormous library that greeted him. Somehow, the place managed to replicate the little bookshop that he first took Yifan to. The only difference was that it was five times bigger with small nooks and corners for Chanyeol to hide out in and lose himself in stories.

He could not contain his excitement and ran to the first shelf that his eyes fell upon. Before he could take out a book, warm arms circled around his waist and a solid body pressed up on his back. Chanyeol leaned into the touch.

“I love you, you know that?”

Chanyeol chuckled as his fiance burried his head into his neck, his words tickling over his skin.

“What happened to tradition of not seeing one another before marriage?”

“In this room nothing but the two of us exist.”

“Man,” Chanyeol turned his head so that he can look at Yifan’s head, “I should stop suggesting books for you to read. I think they are making you really cheese.”

“You love it.” Yifan’s hands tighten their hold.

“I would love it even more if I could face you right now.” With that Yifan turned the man around in his arms so that they are face to face. Before Chanyeol could open his mouth, it found itself snuggly between Yifan’s lips.

“I can’t wait till tomorrow. I can let everyone know that you are mine and only mine.” Yifan pushed their bodies until Chanyeol’s back hit the bookshelf with a soft thud.

“You better prepare for tomorrow night.” Chanyeol’s voice dropped and sounded so sultry to Yifan. “I’ve been deprived of affection.” His hands sneak up under Yifan’s shirt to roam around the warm skin and the toned muscles until Yifan’s larger hands cover his and guide it out of his shirt.

“Sorry, love. This is as far as my breaking rules will let me go. I don’t think I have enough willpower to stop myself halfway. Please understand.”

Chanyeol sighed with a pout but nodded nonetheless.

“Tomorrow then?” He whispered quietly under his breath, eyes still sulking slightly.

“It’s a promise.”