Nights like a good cup of hot choco

Just awkward
20 is a foolish age. It's the age where you finally think you've grown up and that you're ready to face what's ahead of you. You head out of your comfort zone and two options lies ahead ; you succeed or you fail. There's no mid point. Leaving JYP entertainment behind, Shownu was ready to take up another challenge. Instead of being locked up in the same practice room consistently practicing the same thing, he wanted to explore the other side of the dancing world. How is it like dancing as a freelancer, not tied up to any agency. Was it freedom or was it a silly decision? 
 
Not knowing what lies ahead, he signed up for a dance lesson near the apartment where he was residing. There's been great feedback on that studio with descent amount of 'graduates'. Lucky for him, he got the last vacant spot. Lesson will start not until 2 weeks later. Free from the trainee life, he didn't know what to do. There wasn't anyone instructing him on what to do next. He spent majority of his time lying down, exercising and eating. The area where he's currently staying at has lots of affordable but good food ; which is of course a plus point for Shownu who has been trying to save some cash.
 
14 days went by pretty fast when he had the freedom to choose his own schedule as compared to when he had to follow a strict schedule set by the company. It was the first day of the dance lesson and the turn up was more than what he expected. He was so used to a small group dance practice and being in a class of nearly 50 people intimidated him slightly a little. He scanned the room real quick ; an estimation of 25% girls and 75% boys. He was a tad relieved because he's kind of awkward around people and it's worse when it comes to girls. Back in Middle and High School, girls often misunderstood his awkwardness as a crush. They assumed that just because he was shy and couldn't get a word out, he liked them. So, does that actually makes him a player? Because he couldn't talk to a single girl for more than 5 sentences. The way people think was still a mystery for him. His thoughts were cut shot by the sound of an upbeat tempo blasting through the speakers. 
 
Everyone looked confused but they were in sync ; tapping their feet according to the music. Strangers were grinning at each other because it was kind of amusing that everyone's moving in the same wavelength. Shownu continued looking around to see who started the music but there was no disc player nor computer in the room.
 
Odd, what is this place even? 
 
The music went on for a good 5 minutes. Shownu was just bouncing his body and tapping his feet based on the rhythm when a girl with a messy bun bumped into his shoulder. She turned to him with both hands placed together and apologised in an aegyo voice which he has never heard of before. It was so natural and so cute.
 
Did I just think that way??
 
"Sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bump into your shoulders. I kinda came late and I'm trying to search for my friends." She said in a speed as fast as a bullet train
 
"No worries." Shownu's replied with a smile and looked down ; feeling shy obviously 
 
While he was looking down, something caught his eye ; her fingers. Other than the fact that it was painted in bright colours with cute cubics, her fingers were so small and chubby. He stared at it for a good 30 seconds before deciding that he has a thing for small chubby fingers. Maybe it's because his hands are huge ; Shownu always thought of his ideal girl as someone with a small hand just so he can hold it tightly if they were to walk hand in hand. 
 
The girl must have sense that he was staring at her hand because when he was still deep in thoughts, she walked away. He looked up to search for her but in a class of 50 people, it was impossible. He didn't even know how she looked like. The messy bun and fringe covered half her face. 
 
Oh well time to wake up. You didn't leave JYP to look for girls with small hands. Wake up HyunWoo
 
The mystery was solved. Behind the mirror right in front of the class, was actually a room. The kind of mirror where you can't see what's inside but they can see you. So, the dance instructors and seniors were basically observing how the newbies react when different types of music was given to them and well, they were impressed. They called us a talented bunch indeed and that we have a bright future once this two months long class ends.
 
The first lesson was all about back to basic. They had to learn simple body waves, rhythmic bounces and sharp end positions. It was very laid back and shownu was starting to really like the class. The intensity was just right but productivity was even better. There were 2 main instructor and at least 10 senior who would 'patrol' to give some one on one tip.  
 
The classes upgraded every week and there was a different genre every week ; House, Jazz, Contemporary and even Hip Hop. It was honestly an eye opener for Shownu. The different genres used different parts of the body to deliver the genre perfectly. House is mostly using the legs, while Jazz requires the facial expression and agility of ones body whereas hip hop was all about clean ruggedness. They didn't have a wide spectrum to learn from when they trainee in a company but in this dance studio, all it took was 3 weeks to learn more than one genre. Maybe being a freelancer was good after all. 
 
However, in that 3 short weeks, Shownu has consistently been the first to arrive just so that he could get the spot nearest to the door ; as much as he hate to admit it, he fell in love at first sight with a finger. He knew that if he was the first to be there and standing by the door would mean he gets to see everyone who enters the room which of course increases his chances of 'bumping' into her again. Of course, fate was never nice. In that 3 weeks, Shownu didn't even catch a glimpse of her ; not even a strand of hair nor her fingers. 
 
Did she quit? Did I freak her out? 
 
Weird thought played in his mind and he thought that maybe he's indeed the most horrible guy on earth. Which guy would ever stare at a girl's finger for so long? To ease his mind, he dance as hard as he could and sweat never felt so good. After the tough session, Shownu continued on with his next routine which was to get some Ice Americano at the café just across the street. They have the best drinks in the neighbourhood and the place was really therapeutic ; the orange light made the café looked warm and cozy. He has been visiting that café for 3 weeks straight and even the owner recognises him and knows his order. Regular Ice Americano with one shot of syrup because Shownu didn't really like bitter coffee but needed the caffeine boost. He walked in as per usual only to be greeted by a different person, someone his age. 
 
"Welcome to Coffeeterrior! How may I help you." Said the girl behind the counter with the widest smile ever 
 
"Err can I get an Ice Americano with an extra shot of syrup and uh some cheese muffin."
 
"Omg are you that guy eomma talked about?"
 
"Pardon?"
 
"Oh sorry, I'm the daughter of the lady who owns this place and she told me that every time after the dance class, there's always a guy in muscle tank who would comes to order an Ice Americano with an extra shot of syrup. Looking at your muscle tank and eye smile, I'm guessing it's you but if I'm mistaken then sorry!!" 
 
That was the first time, someone he barely knew talked so much to him and he all he could force out was "Sounds like me."
 
More like sounds like a fool
 
The girl laughed in return and her laughter was unique. There's barely any sound and you can see the inside of
 
He probably gave her a puzzled look because she stopped laughing and explained " I wasn't laughing at you but I was just finding it amusing how my mum described you perfectly well."
 
He tried to gather some courage and asked her " How else did your mum describe me?" 
 
Wow that was the longest he has ever said to a girl
 
"Well, she said you were big. As in big buff but you had an eye smile which is kinda ironic for someone your built. It's not an insult by the way. I told her it's impossible but, I guess there's no better way to describe you. You are indeed big but you have a nice eye smile." She said shyly and her cheeks were almost turning crimson red. 
 
Shownu could feel his cheeks turning hot too.
 
They just stood there awkwardly before she broke the silence "Ermm having it here or to go?"
 
"Having it here."
 
"Coming right up."
 
"Thank you."
 
Shownu walked towards the seat slightly near the counter rather than his usual window seat because the view in the cafe today seems nicer than the view outside. Somehow he was able to talk to her. Her smile seems genuine and her eyes were so sparkly, as though they are full of innocence. He watched the girl prepare his coffee and how she had this smile on her face as she hum along an unknown melody. 
 
"Eo, I see you're sitting at a different spot today?"
 
"Ahjumma, Annyeonghasaeyo. Thought you weren't around today and was disappointed keke. Today's lesson was intense so here I am, under the aircon."
 
The owner of the cafe took a seat across Shownu which took him by surprise.
 
"Ahhh, my youngest daughter finally recovered so, she helping me out a lot more these days to make up for it."
 
"Eomma, why are you sharing with everyone about my injury." The girl whined as she walks towards Shownu with his coffee and cheese muffin. When she put down the tray, he can't helped but notice the familiar nail polish and finger. He did a double take and looked at her fingers again. 
 
She pulled out a chair and sat next to him. Shownu almost forgot what it was like to breathe until he accidentally said "oh my god."
 
She turned to him "is something wrong?"
 
"Err I know this might sound creepy but I feel as though I've seen your nail art design somewhere before. I don't know if it's a girl thing but someone in my dance class has the same design same colour as yours."
 
She let out a laugh "No, that's not creepy. We do attend the same dance class. I recently sprained my ankle and wasn't able to participate so, for the past 3 weeks, I've been rotting at home."
 
"That explains." 
 
"Aigoo wouldn't it be great if you two are friends. How old are you Shownu?"
 
"92 liner."
 
"Ohhh so you're an OPPA!!"
 
Shownu's heart felt like as though it stopped beating for a moment when he heard the word 'OPPA'. Is this why every guy likes it when girls called them oppa.
 
OMG I'm about to lose it
 
"Our YoungJi here is a 94 liner."
 
Ahhh YoungJi, so that's her name
 
"What have they been teaching for the past 3 weeks? I've missed out so much and I don't know if I can graduate from the academy." She said with a pout and a worry line formed on her forehead.
 
It was cute and the last thing Shownu wants is to see her sad ; she looked the prettiest smiling "well, nothing much just a little bit of house, jazz, hiphop and we're having a mini talent showcase next week."
 
"Heol manghaesseo (I'm screwed) how am I going to keep up with the class."
 
"Don't worry, you can manage."
 
"Ohhh, I know oppa, YOU CAN TEACH ME!!" She screamed excitedly.
 
"How am I supposed to teach you?"
 
"Well, once this cafe close, there's ample of space and you can tutor me. Pleaseeee eomma will give you free coffee for the rest of your life."
 
"Excuse me young lady, are you trying to ruin my business. He's a regular here. How can I give free coffee everyday?"
 
"Eomma, just Iced Americano with extra shot of syrup, if he orders cake or some other drinks, he has to pay of course." She explained while winking to her mum 
 
Shownu couldn't take in the events that was unfolding in front of him. The person he has been looking for is asking him for a private dance lesson and she's giving him free coffee for his entire life which means he will get to see her for a long time. A really long time. 
 
Did I save an entire nation in my past life? 
 
"Oppangg, please please say yes. Pleaseeee oppa. Help me. Just this once."
 
"Okay okay I will."
 
She jumped up from her seat and was about to give him a hug till reality hit her and made her realised that they just met a couple of minutes ago. So, she settled for a high-five. 
 
They agreed to meet on Saturday and Sunday night. The first 'lesson' would be this coming Saturday on the 9th of June. 
Shownu practiced the choreography he learned at home daily so that he can be the best of help for her. He's literally carrying a huge burden on his shoulder but somehow, it didn't bother him much. He liked it. The fact that someone believes in him and was willing to rely on him. Saturday came like a breeze and finally it was night. Shownu took a shower ; slightly longer than usual so that he looks clean cut when he meets her. Although, he's going to sweat a lot later anyways, he believes he still needs to make a good impression. When the time hit 845pm, Shownu slowly packed his dance bag and made his way to the cafe. He arrived on time with 5 minutes to spare. The tables were mostly cleared up and the cafe was preparing to close. Youngji came down at 9pm fully clad in her dance attire which shows off her voluptuous figure. 
 
He didn't notice it all this while but she has really muscular thighs. That, was a plus point. Once they got down to business,  the awkward air around them was gone and they focused solely on dancing. Teaching YoungJi was really fun . She made little jokes every single time and made shownu crack up although he wasn't the kind of person who laughs a lot. It was a new feeling but it was good. After an hour of continouous dancing, youngji complimented him. 
 
"oppa, you seem like a really good dancer. Why did you join this academy?"
 
"To tell you the truth, I used to be a trainee at JYP but I left the company just a couple of months ago."
 
"Why? I mean you could have a great future though."
 
"I guess, I just want to try something new, I've been training there for close to 3 years and it's getting boring and it limits my dance skills somehow."
 
"Oppa himnae. I'm sure you'll be fine. Even now, i'm attending this academy to make sure I'm a step faster than those in the agency I'm currently training at."
 
Sharing their hardship and personal stories made Shownu feel closer and more comfortable with YoungJi. It's been long since he had a serious talk with someone and it's a first for him to click so well with a girl. Maybe it was because YoungJi was just friendly,approachable and kind, he really liked it. Being next to her was really nice and all he wishes for is, for more warm nights like this.