Prologue

Immortals

[Leo Pov]

“. This night just turned from bad to worse.” I thought as I applied pressure on my open stomach wound that was caused by a wooden stake. Gritting my teeth from the pain, I leaned against a wall nearby and tried to regulate my breathing as I stared at the body that lay on my feet, which was decomposing into nothing but a pile of ashes. I tried to make my way out of the alley as quickly as I could but it was a difficult task since my superb healing powers were slowed down by the wooden stake wound. As much as I would like to stay in position, I need to keep moving because if another group appears, it marks the end of me. “There he is!” A voice shouted nearby as I cursed openly, whipping my head around to see three of them closing in, baring their fangs as I know that it would be fruitless to fight against them since my strength was slowly diminishing. Just when I thought I was done for, I caught a new scent and I realized a human had entered the fray. “This is certainly unexpected. Guess today is my lucky day huh?” A feminine voice said as I turned to notice a woman walking towards us confidently. Dressed in a body fitting pants with combat boots, coupled with a white tank top and leatherjacket, she definitely showed her well defined muscles and curvy figure. Her long purple-red hair flowed with the wind as I smelled a tinge of rose scent emitting from her. What confused me was the fact that she wasn’t even bothered that she might become dinner any moment. Didn’t anyone told her never to lurk at alleys at night? “You alright?” She asked as she stood beside me, glancing at my wound as I stared at her. It’s been a while since I am in close proximity to a human that made me freeze on the spot, unsure what am I supposed to do, or even answer. “, get out of the way if you don’t want to get hurt. We want him, not you. Unless you don’t mind being our dinner!” One of the trio, obviously the leader, teased while his goons laughed at their leader’s remark. The female ignored their teasing and gave me a wink before turning to the trio. “Sure, you can have him provided if you could get through me. Come on!” She answered confidently as she gestured them over. The leader, who was taunted by her, snarled and ran towards her without thinking. Instinct told me I should protect this woman and when I was about to move, a shot rang out and I noticed she had pulled a glock out of her leather jacket and had fire a shot at the leader, whom collapsed onto the ground, a gunshot right in the centre of his forehead. I raised an eyebrow at her shooting skills, unable to help myself but to feel impressed. After all, most people couldn’t even land a shot at us since we moved so fast. For her to nail it, a head shot in particular, was something skilful. She must have known her stuff. The two goons gaped at the female as she walked over to the leader’s body and pulled a stake out of her jacket and without hesitating, plunged it straight into the leader’s body and he burst into nothing but a pile of ashes. “So, i will give u two options, run or die?” She commented as she glanced at the two goons, who fled immediately upon realizing that they were no match for her. While I was supposed to be grateful for her saving my life, the fact that she could kill my kind so easily makes me to be on guard against her too. I stood there, wondering if I still have the strength to win against a human. “Hello, earth to you! Can you still walk?” She asked as I snapped back to reality to realize she was standing right in front of me, waving her hands back and forth as I stared at her. “Welcome back. I thought I lost you for a second there. Come on, let’s get going. Before things get anymore messy than it could.” She continued as she slipped an arm around my waist and helped me towards a black Lamborghini Venono, with heavily tinted windows. As much as I want to move away from her, the pain was really getting to me. She helped me into the passenger seat, grabbed a box from the truck and climbed into the driver seat. She shoved the box at me as she started the engine and drove off. “Stop staring at me. Drink what’s inside the box and you might feel a whole lot better.” She commented as I glanced at the box, opening it to revealed packets of blood. I sank into one hungrily, taking occasional glances at her, wondering what she is up to. “Would appreciate it if you don’t spill all over my car. Thanks.” She said as she took a glance at how fast I was drinking before staring at the road again. This night just got crazier. First I was attacked by my own kind but this human saved me. Instead of killing me like she could easily have, she gave me blood and is driving me somewhere, as though I wasn’t the same species as the one she had staked earlier. If it was another human being, they would have fainted by now seeing how I am drinking blood. Instead, this woman was worried about blood spillage in her car. Talking about being weird. “Here we are.” She announced and it was then did I realized that she actually drove me home. I glared at her, wondering how much she knew about me, or those that I had stayed with. I may not have recovered from my wound, but I will never let her get to the rest of my family without a fight. “Look, I am sure you could have guessed that I know quite a lot about your kind; vampires I mean. And that’s your house, where you lived with a couple of other vampires. And while you have questions, I suggest you ask them later. There is only 15 minutes left to sunrise. You DO NOT want to be caught out here once the sun is up. Now, how about getting your off my car and start walking home Leo?” She said as I froze in position, realizing that she knew my name. “You know my name.” I stated. It wasn’t a question. “Yes I know your name. And the rest of the vamps living in that house too. Let’s just get you home now, shall we?” She answered with an irritated tone and sighed when she realized that I am not budging without her answering me.  “Fine. I am a vampire enforcer alright? You should know about people with such jobs. I am in charge of this area so I know about you and the other five vamps, since you guys are technically under my care. Speak to N if you have any more questions; he knows about me. Now, you really should get going. You are one of the good vamps and it would to see you burst into flames.” She continued and she climbed out of her car, walked over to open the door and helped me out of her car, walk towards my house and rang the doorbell. Ravi opened it moments later, raising an eyebrow when he saw two of us hugging each other, but upon noticing my wound, he became serious immediately as she gently transferred me into Ravi’s arms. I could only stare at her as she adjusted her leather jacket and looked back at me. “And my job for tonight is done. I should be going since its sunrise soon. Get plenty of rest and I will see you soon, hopefully.” She said and started to walk back towards her car. Just as the door was about to close, she turned her head around and smiled at me before saying the following: “Nice to meet you Leo, despite the circumstances. Feel free to call me B.”