Goodbye

I'm Sorry, I Love You

It was a day that started unlike any other day. Jungyeon was woken to the smell of bacon and eggs, and her girlfriend Nayeon's adorable smile. It felt so serene and blissful.

"Morning! I made you breakfast, I hope you like it!" Nayeon spoke softly with a sweet smile.

Jungyeon sat up from her sleep and accepted the tray of food graciously. It looked delicious, like food you'd pay lots of money for at a fancy 5 star restaurant. The smell made water and her stomach grumble.

"Thanks babe, what's the occasion? Is it an anniversary I've forgot?" Jungyeon asked hurriedly, choking on the food in .

"No, no occasion... I just wanted to surprise the girl I love..."

Jungyeon's heart soared. Sure, they had been dating for what seemed like forever, but she always loved the little moments that made her heart race faster than lightning.

"Thank you, Nayeon. It's delicious!"

Nayeon gave her a half happy, half sad smile. She hoped that Jungyeon wouldn't notice, but Jungyeon somehow manages to notice everything.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine..." Nayeon lied.

Jungyeon took Nayeon's hands into her own, rubbing them comfortingly, like a fragile porcelain doll. Nayeon struggled to keep a straight face, but with Jungyeon being so loving towards her, it was difficult to not let a tear slip through.

"Nayeon, I love you. You know that right? Whatever it is you can tell me. I'll always be here for you."

"You may always be here for me, but I can't always be here for you."

Jungyeon had to take a second to think about what Nayeon had just said. Was she breaking up with her? Did she find somebody else? So many questions rushed through Jungyeon's mind.

"What do you mean?" Jungyeon asked worriedly.

"I--I...... I have cancer...."

Pain. That was the only thing Jungyeon's heart felt. She felt as if she had been hit in the chest by a speeding truck. Tears were trailing down her face before she even realised she was crying.

"W-What?"

"It's terminal....... Doc said I could die any day now...."

"B-But there's still hope right? I mean, it's not 'terminal' terminal, is it?"

"Jungyeon........ I don't want to die......"

Jungyeon's body moved of it's own accord, tightly wrapping her arms around Nayeon. She petted her back soothingly as Nayeon cried into her neck. She wiped away her own tears with her free hand. She couldn't even imagine the pain Nayeon felt, and she had to be strong for her, but inside she was dying too. They embraced each other for hours, tears becoming crispy dry on their faces. Nayeon was the first to pull away, looking into Jungyeon's eyes.

"Listen, I want you to know something. Any day from today could be my las--"

"Don't say that!" Jungyeon interupted.

"No, just listen to me. Any day from today could be my last. It could be months or even years. Or it could be next week, or tomorrow. I just want you to know that I'll always love you. Whether I'm here with you, or six feet under, I will never stop loving you. I'll have so many regrets about my life when I die, and one of them is not loving you sooner."

"Nayeon, I love you so much.... To the furthest galaxy and back I'll love you forever...."

Nayeon softly pecked Jungyeon's lips, staining them with her salty tears. She wrapped her arms around Jungyeon's neck, playing with her short hair and pulling herself closer. She just wanted to stay in this moment with her forever. 

"I'm sorry, I love you."