Chapter One

Out of Bounds

A Red Flag

 

Wednesday

She grips on her phone tightly as she nervously sits waiting for her order of ice cream sundae to come. Her eyes are roaming all over the store as she watches the busy people going in and out. Children begging their parents for a bigger size, couples smiling shyly at each other as they share a bowl of ice cream, and friends laughing as they talk about inside jokes. The atmosphere of the store is warm and cozy and with the addition of ice cream, it brings the place full of happiness. Something Aeyoung expected to find every time she came.

Or, that was what she told herself was the reason for her daily purchase of the same sundae with extra banana and strawberry instead of a cherry on top. But deep down she knew there was another reason she came, something that had become a daily routine, an entertainment for her eyes and mind. A way of allowing her to imagine wider, day dream a bit easier.

Her eyes wander off to the entrance door more often than the counter where she waits for her order. She anxiously sighs to herself every time it's an unfamiliar face that comes in. Checking her time once in a while and furrowing her eyebrows when she still finds five minutes more of waiting before they come.

A couple that has become a casual to the ice cream store always came at the same timing of three forty- five making Aeyoung run for her life every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday just to reach here before them. Her only intention was to watch the sweet couple. Well, it was really only one of them in particular, because she could only see the face of the guy when they came. Taking the booth two seats away from hers, he always sat on the side facing her.

The first time she had looked up to see them she caught them laughing as the lady lowers her head probably shy at what the guy must of said and that's when she gained interest in the couple. His eyes wrinkling as he laughs sweetly at her and she can see a spark of charm burst out from his smile. A spark of affection, and their actions spelled it out clearly. 

He had also shown so many other emotions in their visit to the store, sometimes as their conversation got serious, Aeyoung would find his face turn straight and contently listen as his girlfriend spoke on. Other times, she would here to woman's stern voice and the guy would pout in an adorable manner, something she used to conclude that the guy must have been younger.

Unless that wasn't enough, it was no deny that he was a good looking guy, a nice lean, tall body and great facial features to put it all together. Not to mention his acts of a gentleman just made it all better. He was perfect, the perfect guy any girl would want by their side and Aeyoung can't help just imagining herself in the lady's shoes. Imagining him looking at her instead with his words, she can't help but feel jealous of the woman and she could only huff a sigh a look down realising that her bowl of ice cream had already arrive for some time. The sides of the bowl filled with melt cream and she mentally curses herself. 

What an idiot.

The bell of the entrance door rings through her ears and she looks up almost immediately, hint of happiness in her eyes as she anticipates the couple to walk in. The woman fiddles with her hand bag as she struggles with the phone that is in between her ear and shoulder. Softly huffing a sigh in stress, she plops down in her usual seat, back facing Aeyoung.

It's not hard for Aeyoung to notice that something is out of place.

Aeyoung's eyes follows the guy who comes in shortly after, today there is a space between their pace. She can't quite comprehend his facial features and it tenses up the mood around her table. Confusion struck her as she watches him takes his usual seat, not a word said, and their eyes left lingering everywhere except each other.

In the second his head whips to her direction, she escapes her appointed gaze. Her heart picks up a beat. Would it be much worse to have him catch her staring at this moment? In second guess, she looks back up from her ice cream to the guy once again and see his lips moving. From her observation of the couple for months, she can tell that his tone today is harsher and somehow it leaves a print of uneasiness on her too. 

She feels very uncomfortable.

In all truth, it has nothing to do with her. Call her crazy even because she's putting herself in the business of two people which they will never welcome her into. she's crazy and she knows it. 

Although, 'crazy' may not be the word others plant on her. 'Others' meaning the waiter who walks past her as he carries two bowls of ice cream to serve the booth beside hers. He doesn't have trouble expressing his thought of her as he walks past; "creep."

Aeyoung scrunches her nose at him but she doesn't argue, he isn't entirely wrong. Although she may like to picture it differently, curious instead, maybe, she knows her staring is rude. But she arrogantly uses her age as an excuse—which isn't a good one—as to why she still has some power to tower over social norms and act up against the polite manner.

She waits for the waiter to walk to her and squints her eyes at his direction. They aren't close and cannot say they are even friends, but she comes here often enough for the two to recognise face. He has her order memorised but names were never established. Additionally, he also goes to her school, but being her senior, she doesn't have any reason to interact or know more than to walk past each other and lightly acknowledge each other's existence.

Either way, today he has done more than that, and somehow he isn't willing to let her staring go any longer.

As he walks back from serving the desert he stops at her booth. It is only then does she finally takes notice of his nametag; Jungkook, and she notes it down. 

"What's with that look?" Jungkook doesn't let his smile falter but somehow Aeyoung senses that there is nothing but needed politeness in his composture. "You've been ogling the couple for months now, I'm getting creeped out for them. You need to stop."

She is at a lost of words. Not because she is shocked, but more on the fact that the confrontation of her actions are leaving her embarrassed. She looks around to see if anyone is looking at her—a hypocritical move—but luckily everyone else's attention is on their own.

Jungkook doesn't wait for her to reply and continues; "as a waiter here, I can't have you making other people feeling uncomfortable. They may not have noticed but they will soon." He pauses just a bit to read her reaction, he hopes he isn't too harsh but at the same time, he does want some creep in his store. "If you aren't going to stop then I will have to ask you to leave."

Aeyoung takes his words in quietly and doesn't reply. She can't look up further than his nametag but she can feel his stare on her. She can tell that it'll hurt to look up.

Albeit his words, she takes one last glance at the couple in front of her. The guy is looking out of the glass window and the woman's shoulders move up and down as she talks on. Aeyoung can't hear a single word but she can tell that she's going off. The guy's face screams annoyance and she can tell that she won't be in for any excitement if she stayed either. 

She has no other options.

Aeyoung huffs a sigh and picks herself up, gathering her stuff with her and brushing past the waiter who is still watching her closely. she doesn't take another glance at the couple but she can hear a jumble of words as she gets nearer. She shouldn't listen, but her curiosity wins her over.

"I knew there was something up ever since you said you were busy last Sunday." The woman's voice is calm but stern, an opposite to her body that is showing more emotions. She carries on; "Do you think I'm stupid? That I'd never see it coming?" The questions go on, and Aeyoung never hears a reply from the guy. What she can't help but notice is how far the couple now seemed in this manner. The woman speaking to guy as if she were the same age as his mother. 

Momentarily, she recounts her mother's words, "I wasn't born yesterday." Suddenly the image of the couple molds into something new and Aeyoung crinkles her nose. Nothing in them is romantic anymore.

He should find a new girl.

Coming back to the world outside of Aeyoung's thoughts, a sound is constantly buzzing in her ear. The sound is actually Jungkook's voice calling her, and the buzzing is the repetition of the word "creep."

Jungkook is waiting for Aeyoung to pay. Once again, she is struck by the waiter. His smile goes all the way to his eyes that squint as his mouth spreads wider but somehow there's nothing sincere about it. He's just doing his job after all. 

She just wants to leave as soon as possible and she scrambles through her bag, plopping her art utensil bags on the counter in the process. Something about Jungkook's stare as he waits makes her more nervous and her fingers lose the grip on her wallet and coins.

"Don't worry, no ones in a hurry." Jungkook's sarcasm stings and Aeyoung feels the bead of sweat form at her forehead. At last, she brings out the amount she needs to pay, looking at the money that passes through her hand to his. She winces inside as she knows the bills after probably dampened from her nervous sweat. He'll probably see her as creepy and disgusting now. 

She doesn't wait for the receipt or for the waiter to approve that she's given the right amount. Her hands are on her stuff and she is out of the door as soon as possible. Even with Jungkook calling her back, she doesn't turn, she's too embarrassed and bummed out to look back now. 

Her feet are walking at fast speed and she can still feel her face burning. Her anticipation of watching the couple was a failure today and she was called out for being a creep. She can't think of anything more humiliating.

Aeyoung's mind comes to a hast conclusion that she will never visit the ice cream parlour again and it eases her stress just a bit. She can find another person to fantasise about. It'll be okay, and it isn't like she'll ever meet the waiter ever again.

Then it dawns on her, and Aeyoung's feet stop in their tracks.

Jungkook is a senior at her school.

Now she's running at full speed and she can't wait to get back into her room.

 

 

 

Thursday

Aeyoung doesn't wake up on the right side of bed and she can already picture how torturous today's class will be. She doesn't bother to turn off the alarm as she drags her body to the bathroom. Splashing her face with cold water allows a groan to leave her lips.

She sounds exactly like a zombie.

She takes a look at the mirror. Without her makeup, her eye bags dominate her face and her acne scars have gained territory of most of her facial area. 

She sounds and looks exactly like a zombie.

No, she isn't a zombie, she's a creep.

As if a switch, the events of yesterday pour back into her head and she is reminded of her realisation. Today she has to walk to school with the dying dread on if the waiter, Jungkook, has run his mouth. Rumours in school spread like the plague and the last thing Aeyoung needs is to have the whole school know her as the creep.

She looks at her face once more. Judging from her looks, faking sick won't be that hard and the idea becomes heavy on the scale of decision. She runs the hot water and waits for the tap to turn luke warm. Her hands pass through the running water and she presses her heated hands on her forehead and neck to mimic a fever. She isn't seven years old but at desperate times comes desperate measures.

She fakes a loud sneeze and makes sure she looks half dead before walking out of her room. On queue, her mother shouts from behind her shoulder; "Aeyoung, you'll be walking to school by yourself today, your brother is sick."

Thats all that needs to be said before she lets out a groan and walks back into her room. Her plan failed before she even got to try.

Meanwhile, her brother lying sick on the couch furrows his eyebrows. Is she really that disappointed to walk alone? Whatever the answer, he doesn't care. Truth be told, he did the same tactic Aeyoung attempted five minutes earlier. 

Apples don't fall far from its tree and these siblings prove it.

 

 

Have you ever wondered why a person's face can suddenly appear everywhere once you've taken notice of them; even when they had never appeared in front of you ever before?

Aeyoung is frustrated since the minute she enters the school's building because the first thing she takes notice is the group of seniors at one of the locker blocks. Problem is, they aren't any other group, they're Jungkook's and as if he can sense the stare—a word that will become the death of Aeyoung—he pivots his view to the junior about to walk past.

In an instant, Aeyoung's mind comes into action. She scans for her target, the left corner of the corridor where she must turn, and she scans her enemy, Jungkook. On this battlefield, she is drowning in an ocean mix of her people and his. Although she sees a trail she can follow to escape from her enemy, she also sees the chance that he can stop her in her tracks and attack. 

She cannot take that chance, but she's too near to retreat now. She takes a chance to study her opponent, his eyes have lightened up at recognition. Every step she takes closer, is every second he attempts to gain her attention. She can't let that happen. 

She must escape. 

Once again, desperate times come desperate measures. She takes notice of the guy who stands in between them. with her arts bag in her hand, she lifts it up and shoves in into the guy's back. Seconds in motion, she scurries forward, deepening into the flock of students and drowns herself until she is transparent. From behind, she hears a cry, then a groan, and then a "hey!" But she doesn't look back.

She has no guilt. 

And with that comes the chase of Jungkook and Aeyoung.

 

 

 

Monday

Needless to say, nothing ever stays forever, and in time, everything has to come to an end. That being said, Aeyoung had different plans on how this chase would end. Of course, her hide and seek tactics weren't going to go on for until her senior graduates, but she was hoping it wouldn't be because she was caught. Why couldn't he have just given up?

Either way, Aeyoung is walking back after school to her usual stop, which she had promised herself last Wednesday she wouldn't visit ever again. 

If only Jungkook hadn't been a step smarter.

If only Aeyoung hadn't let her guard down.

Her locker had all of her belongings and of course he would some day catch up to her there.

Of course, their interaction was nothing so bad and to be completely honest, Aeyoung may had been overly dramatic with her dread.

She had forgotten momentarily that she was running away from a rival at the break of lunch. Her notebook was left in her locker and she needed to get it before the place would be crowded. Her guard was down, but even if it was alerted, she still wasn't smart enough. There was one one waiting at her locker, nor were there any familiar faces around; she thought she was safe. Only when her hand grabs onto her notebook does she feel the small whiff of air hit the back of her neck. She tenses up in a dash.

"Come to the ice cream parlour after school today." Its Jungkook and his message passes by her as quick as he is gone. She turns at the sudden contact but his back is already facing her and he is to far for her to call out without straining her voice.

She doesn't have to oblige, but something in her tells her she should, and now she hears the familiar bell ring as she pushes through the door.

Today she faces an unwanted figure and dread his next banter of words, as well as the couple she had—creeepily, as Jungkook would say—studied from afar.

Aeyoung doesn't know what she's getting herself into.

Everything is different, even her seating arrangement is not the usual. Today, she takes the seat at the counter. Not so far but not so near to Jungkook—who has already noticed her—either, she leaves space for him to walk to her. He is the one who asked her to come anyway.

Jungkook takes his time at the cashier, even though he doesn't completely acknowledge the girl, he can still feel the eyes that pin at him. A little string tugs at the corner of his lips. She has no idea how easy it is to knock down her forte.

"So you're just going to be staring at me now?" His words results in a immediate turn and Aeyoung is looking in the opposite direction.

No. 

Aeyoung can't be taken as a joke that easily. Right?

She builds up the courage to retort back; "what do you want?"

"What do you think?" This time he turns his attention to her, walking to stand in front of her. "You forgot something the other day."

This time his words form an "oh" at her lips and she is left dumbfounded again. She had come ready for a fight, but he had other plans. 

He brings her other bag in front of her; she must have forgotten it out of embarrassment the last time she was here. Jungkook doesn't wait for a 'thank you' and walks back to the cashier where he presses the keys once again. 

Their meeting is done but Aeyoung is left seated in her bar stool. Honestly, it feels more like she's sitting in a high chair. She comes to the realisation that she had been playing a childish game of hide and seek with someone who just wanted to return her stuff. She's pulled a switch, and she can feel the flush start to roam her cheeks. This guy has left her dying alive of embarrassment twice already.

The bell at the entrance door takes Aeyoung's attention, she snaps back from her thoughts. She takes the bag placed on the counter in front of her, why didn't she notice she was missing a whole bag of art utensils for five days straight?

She shuffles to leave just as someone chooses to sit at the bar stool beside hers. She takes the chance to take one glance and she doesn't know if she should have.

Immediately, she stops in her tracks, it's the guy she was always observing two booths away. It's him and he's sitting next to her. Aeyoung's heart starts to race and she is flooded with images of him with his girlfriend the few months she had watched them. A small spark of excitement grows in Aeyoung's chest.

She should stay, but she stops and realises her position. Her hands are still gripping the chair ready to push her up and off the tall bar stool, anyone can tell she's about to leave. If she changes her mind and sits back to order, will he realise? She face-palms herself internally, just when she gets the chance, she ruins it in an instant.

She hopes whoever above can hear her cries.

"What ice cream do you usually get?" The voice beside her peaks through her thoughts. Her head turns to the sound, who is he talking to? 

Maybe the people above have heard her cries.

The guy is looking right at her, and she's now gawking right at him. This time he moves a little closer and passes her the menu, she looks down to watch his finger slide down the menu. 

"Which one do you usually order?" The guy tries again. Aeyoung has already taken notice of how close they and she hopes he can't tell how hard her heart is racing or how uneasy it is for her to breathe. Last thing she wants is for him to see her as a creep. 

Creep and Jungkook are now in the same group, the word makes her peak at the waiter, he doesn't seem to give then any attention. She shouldn't have looked, because just seeing his face urks her now. He's made a fool of her twice in a span of five days and that's the limit he gets.

It's a one way tension that Jungkook doesn't care about.

Taking her attention back to the guy beside her, she points at a random sundae set; "t-this one."

Great job Aeyoung. Not only does she stutter, her voices cracks and hardly any sound come out. She's seen how the guy's girlfriend—if she still is—is like, confident and mature, and Aeyoung straightens her back.

She tries again; "I usually get this one." She surely sounds more confident, but her eyes never leave the menu.

"Then I'll order this one," the guy answers as he gentle takes the menu away. "Would you care to share it with me?"

Aeyoung's eyes widen, luckily she's still looking down. She takes a breath and looks at him, he's waiting for her answer.

"I'm sorry?" She questions as she tries not to gawk at him. This quirks a smirk from the guy, she must humour him. 

Before he could answer, a third voice comes into the picture.

"Jinyoung." The voice is stern, and somehow Aeyoung can even guess who the voice belongs to. The guy beside her, name now given, Jinyoung isn't phased. Aeyoung scoots in her chair but Jinyoung is still leaned in, even a tad closer if Aeyoung's mind is working right. She wants to turn to the voice, but with the her insides turning from being up close with the guy and the voice of the woman, she can't get herself to move. Either way, no one has waited for Aeyoung's reaction today except for Jinyoung.

Another call of Jinyoung's name is heard. Now the tense in the store grows in weight, people around them can probably feel it now. Aeyoung has a suddenly but obvious thought; she shouldn't be in between this encounter. Too bad, she's already in it.

"What do you want?" Jinyoung finally approaches his girlfriend with a reply, a harsh one at it. It's an echo of Aeyoung's previous words to Jungkook, once again her eyes travel to him. He's now wiping the glass cups but she can tell that he's contently listening as well. Will he step in like he did to her last week?

"What are you doing?" The woman answers with another question. Jinyoung doesn't bother giving a verbal answer but his eyes move from her to Aeyoung and then proceeds to call for Jungkook. The woman doesn't give up; "Do you think I'm stupid?" How many times have she said that to Jinyoung.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Aeyoung can tell that Jinyoung knows exactly what she's talking about.

"Will you stop?" The woman's voice rises and she speaks as she walks to the pair. The pair is Aeyoung and Jinyoung, when has she ever imagined that she would be rounded into a pair with him? "You're playing around with a high schooler."

This catches Aeyoung's attention enough for her to turn to the woman. She's standing in in between them now and forces Jinyoung to lean back into his own space. Although he is out of her circle, the new figure who has pushed herself into Aeyoung's space makes her even more uncomfortable.

Jinyoung catches on immediately. His hand weaves between the woman and sits on Aeyoung's far shoulder, subtlely pushing the woman back in the process. Aeyoung now has trouble catching her breath.

"Just ignore her," he tries to ease Aeyoung down, but how can she when he's the one making her even more tense.

"Are you serious Jinyoung?" The way the woman say his name reminds Aeyoung of a mother speaking to a child again. Someone who knows they are one step ahead. Jinyoung must be annoyed to be with such a woman. She can't help but feel sorry for him. "You failed to trick me so you've decided to take advantage of a young girl instead?"

The girp on Aeyoung's shoulder hardens, and in a split second, her shoulder is empty. The next few occurrences happen before her mind can comprehend. Aeyoung, who has been experiencing excitement, anxiousness, and somewhat fear, can't seem to get her mind in the right place. 

She sees Jinyoung's hand hit the counter, a death stare between the two adults that has her awkwardly in her her seat and lastly, in seconds she feels a hand grip on her wrist and suddenly she's being pulled out of the store. the only explanation Jinyoung gives her before they pass the door is; "I'll take you back home." The rest is just a muddle of calls of Jiyoung's name from the woman but Aeyoung and Jinyoung are already out the door. 

In the store, the woman is left dumbfounded but she pulls her posture back before anyone can imprint the image of her in a vulnerable manner clearer than they are already able to. She turns to Jungkook and gives him a sincere apology, Jungkook wavers it off with a small smile and in seconds, the woman is also out the door. 

Whether or not she follows Aeyoung and Jinyoung, Jungkook doesn't care. He is just relieved the commotion in the store has finally ended. Now he'll have to apologise to the customers in the store for the disturbance. He lets out a sigh as he mumbles to himself; "what a creep."

The only question, who are his words aimed to?

 


 

Author's Notes: So my first chapter is up. If you read this chapter before then you will know I have change quite a lot of the content and I have explained this reason in my overall notes, so please check it out. Overall, I am really happy with how this re-vamp of the chapter has turned out and I will be editing my other chapters in draft to change up and improve the story a bit more. Yes, there is a tad change to the story line but I have still kept the ending the same, so no need to worry.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy this chapter and all comments and criticism is welcomed.

See you in the next chapter!