Reality. The first and last chapter.

R E A L I T Y -oneshot. | completed.

Lee Dong Hae was excited, no- ecstatic about going to his next schedule. In just half an hour, he was going to see her; Korea’s most prized possession, the nation’s fairy, every guy’s dream. For she was Im Yoona, one of the most successful entertainers in Korea. It was a dream come true for Dong Hae to be casted in the same movie as Yoona. Like every other guy in Korea, she was his ideal girl. Actually, she was more than that… she was his first ever celebrity crush. There wasn’t much to not like about her; she was perfect. Her doe-like eyes, her long, dark hair, her long, thing legs… absolutely perfect. His manager entered the small dressing room. Donghae snapped out of his thoughts.

“Time to go; apparently Yoona-ssi’s already been waiting an hour.”

His heart started beating; it was finally to time to see her in person. He slowly stood up and checked his hair. When he was assured he looked fine, he headed to his car; where his manager took him to the shoot. When Donghae got there, the first thing he saw was the director. The director quickly stood up and spread his arms out.

“Donghae-yah! Just in time, my boy!”

Donghae smiled and hugged the director. His father was close acquaintances with the director; that was the main reason Donghae got the main role. The director smiled and patted his back.

“Now that you’re here, Yoona can get out of her dressing room. Mind getting her?”

He shook his head and turned his head toward a trailer a few yards away.

“That hers?”

He nodded. Donghae walked toward the trailer and slight opened the door ajar. He gasped. In front him was none other than Im Yoona. But instead of the cheerful and bubbly character that she portrayed on variety shows, he saw a face filled with pain and anguish. In her hand was a knife, she watched her own blood trickle down her wrist. Feeling like she was being watched, she looked up. She caught him. But she was neither surprised nor flustered by being seen doing her horrific act. She silently stood up and turned away while grabbing her bloody wrist. She put her wrist under the sink as the water turned red. She slowly turned her head towards him and slightly smiled.

“Looks like I’ve been caught.”

He stayed silent and finally got a hold of his senses. He quickly walked towards her and looked her in the eye.

“What the hell are you doing?! You’re hurting yourself!”

She chuckled dryly.

“You know perfectly well that I know what I’m doing. Plus, this isn’t uncommon for people like me.”

“ ‘people like you?’ “

She looked at him with a hint of curiousness.

“You mean you don’t know?”

He nodded. She smirked in return.

“When they said you were a rookie they really meant it. Come on kid, we got a movie to shoot.”

“Hey, wait- sunbaenim!”

She turned around. He lowered his voice.

“Don’t you need to cover that?”

She looked down at her wrist and nodded in thanks. As she walked past him, she lean towards him and whispered in his ears.

“Don’t tell anyone about this.”

She then silently walked to her trailer.

 

With a bandage wrapped around her wrist, Yoona and Donghae finished filming six scenes in seven hours. As the rest of staff and crew headed to dinner, Donghae grabbed Yoona. He pulled her to his trailer.

“What did you mean about our previous conversation?”

“What? About the people who are like me? If you’re asking if they are celebrities who do the things that I do; the answer is yes.”

Donghae furrowed his eyebrows.

“What do you mean? Like depression, drugs, anorexia, and stuff like that.”

Yoona nodded nonchalantly while looking at her nails.

“Those are the norms. Wait, what company are you signed to?”

“SidusHq.”

She nodded.

“You’re one of the lucky ones. SidusHq is one of the more lenient ones.”

He looked at her in curiosity.

“What do you mean?”

“Companies practically torture their artists. Girls have to be less than fifty kilograms, you go through extreme diets otherwise. They pack your schedules to point where you only get an hour of sleep. Your overall performance has to be beyond perfect; they practice you to the point where your are about to faint from exhaustion. And you know why they do this? Money. They make us work their asses off to make a little dough. And we can’t do a thing, because we’re bound by contracts. We would quit if we wanted do, but what we do if we weren’t celebrities. We barely attend school. The worst part of it is they don’t even see us as human beings; we’re just a way to make profit to them.”

She clenched her fists while Dong Hae was still bewildered by the fact that they treat people like this. He stayed silent until he asked her quietly.

“Is that why you were doing that? Because you were depressed?”

She laughed loudly.

“That, and I wanted to feel numb. See, physically hurting counteracts with mentally hurting.”

He looked in to her eyes, searching for some kind of hint of happiness. He couldn’t find any. She looked away.

“I’ve been in the entertainment industry all my life, you know. I was meant to end up this way, nothing could change my fate.”

She turned to him.

“But you can change your fate. Quit… before it’s too late.”

With that, she walked away… leaving him in the cold.

 

That was their last personal conversation. Other than practicing their lines and acting, they never spoke to each other. In six months, they completed filming their movie. A week before the premiere for the movie, Yoona was found lying in her house, dead. It was concluded that she died from slitting her wrists and drug overdose. Korea was in complete shock, and they demanded an answer. No suicide note was left, but there wasn’t one needed. Donghae revealed the truth to the public a month after countless scandals and mysteries about Yoona’s death. With his single statement, the CEO and multiple managers from SM Entertainment was put behind bars. Donghae decided to leave the industry, and his company didn’t fight him. He married, had three children, and eight grandchildren. He lived to write seventeen books about the entertainment industry; many celebrities came out after Yoona’s death. All of them were what seemed to be perfect; but in reality, nothing is what it seems.

 

 

*sigh.* I finally completed my first angsty fic~ Sorry it took so long! As you can tell, I changed it from a short story to a oneshot, I hope you don't mind!(: Thank you guys for waiting and I hope you guys enjoyed reading it!:D I'd love to see what you thought of it, because frankly I don't think I did very well.. Did you guys think is was angst-ish?^^ Hehe, leave me your thoughts in the comment section!(:

                                                                                                                                                                                                 -awkwardcloud-