No Good Crying Over Spilt Potions

Twice As Magical

A/N: Hello everyone! This is going to be my first full length series on aff. Please let me know what you think!

 


 

Chapter 1 - No Good Crying Over Spilt Potions

 

The warm enveloping arms of her mother's hug comforted Sana. No matter how many times she had to say goodbye, it always was a hard thing to do. She felt comforted knowing that her mother felt the same way. No tears though, she was way beyond that point now.

"Your dad is sorry he isn't here to see you go, but one of us has to look after the store."

"It's okay, I understand. Tell him I love him."

"Don't worry sweetie, I will."

Sana gave her mother one final hug before carrying her luggage onto the train. She found her carriage and went to stare out of the window. She looked at her mother and gave her a sweet smile.

Dull steam puffed mistily into the cloudy skies of London. The click-clacking sounds of heels against pavement echoed loudly in the station. Sana waved goodbye to her parents standing on Platform 9 and 3/4 from her carriage booth window as the Hogwarts Express began to chug slowly away from King's Cross Station. She eventually pulled her hand back through the open window as the platform faded futher and further into the distance. The cold city streets blended into lushious fields of open wilderness as they startted their journey back to school.

Sana took a seat next to her friends. They had managed to get a booth all to themselves as they all agreed to meet at the station earlier than normal to get the best booth. Sat beside her was Mina, her best friend since Primary school. Mina was deep into her defense against the darks arts textbook for the new year, she wanted to get a head start on what she'll be studying. Typical Ravenclaw.

Sat on the opposite side of Sana was Jihyo. Jihyo and Sana had become friends through the sorting ceremony. Both were placed in Gryffindor and they hit it off right away. Jihyo was your common Gryffindor type: brave, daring, and a nerve of steel. So totally unlike Sana, who just so happened to be in the same house as her.

Sana had never really felt like a true Gryffindor. She never felt that she was any more courageous than your average person, and she never did anything to try draw attention to herself. She felt like she would have been more suitable for a house like Hufflepuff. However, the sorting hat had no difficulties deciding her fate on her first day in the magic world, immediately calling out "Gryffindor!" even before being placed fully on her head.

Sana let her head roll back onto the train seat headboard so she could relax, staring out of the window watching the world pass by. Next stop: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She always wondered why it took so long for the Express to get to Scotland when magic exists, but maybe even magic can't do anything about travelling distance.

"So I heard from Dahyun, a Hufflepuff fifth year, that the Harry Potter will be returning to Hogwarts to make the first school speech of the year! How exciting is that?!" Jihyo squealed, waking Sana from her daze.

"Okay, first of all, how do you know a fifth year hufflepuff? And secondly, how does she know that?" Mina questioned.

"I know Dahyun because Hagrid and me are good friends and he introduced me to her as she is keen in Care of Magical Creatures. She knows that Harry Potter will be coming because Hagrid let it slip accidentally when he was showing her a hippogriff.... but you're ignoring my point! Harry Potter will be at Hogwarts!"

Jihyo looked up to people like Harry Potter. They were essentially what she wanted to be like. During her first year at Hogwarts, the wall beside her bed were covered in posters of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It was always "so brave" this, "good leaders" that, fanatic was a big understatement. She had toned down her fantasizing a lot after her first year, but you can be sure that she never stopped looking up to them.

"Well, remind me to tell Pomfrey to make sure your heart doesn't suddenly stop when he turns up!" Sana giggled.

Jihyo gave Sana a warm smile. Sana always knew how to comfort a friend, and although Jihyo's stomach was still filled with butterflies at the thought of seeing her idol, she did feel much calmer thanks to her.

"By the way, why aren't you and Mina on prefect duty right now?" 

"There was more prefects chosen this year than any other year so we're splitting the duties. Mina and me will be escorting the first years to the school once the train arrives at Hogwarts." Jihyo clarified.

Sana was satisfied with the answer, she didn't want her best friends to get in trouble for not doing their duties. They all fell into a blissful silence. Mina, who looked to be halfway through her new textbook now, was always appreciative that both Jihyo and Sana could sit together in silence comfortably. If they were to feel uncomfortable with silence she wouldn't have been able to cope with the incessant noise. It was great during exam study sessions because she could focus properly. Although, she did love speaking to her best friends just as much as she loved studying.

The blur of trees passing by gave the three girls a warm feeling. They were all from different backgrounds of life, but the journey to Hogwarts brought them all together. For some, it's the beginning of their journey to becoming who they want to be. For others, it's their first journey into the magical world. To Hogwarts, what they will easily be able to call their second home.

"So how was your summer?" Sana wanted to know.

"My parents and me went back to Japan to visit family over the summer. It was fun if you don't count the flight there, it was so long and boring. I can't wait until I can apperate." Mina whined cutely.

"We just stayed at home for summer, but it was still enjoyable to say the least! How about you, Sana?" Jihyo asked.

"I was helping my parents at their store, it was so fun!" 

Both Sana's mother and father are muggles. They own a small toy store near Kings Cross Station that is popular with the local children (which just so happens to include Sana too). It's a busy store, so the more help the better.

"I really need to visit your parents toy store one day! I'm curious about what this thing is that muggles call 'toys'." Jihyo, who had never seen a muggle toy ever in her life, pondered.

"Curious? A Gryffindor curious? Are you sure you aren't a Ravenclaw?" Sana joked.

Jihyo nudged her playfully. She always thought of Sana as the mood of the group. When someone was feeling sad, she knew how to cheer them up. Sana defintely brings a lot of happiness into a person's life when they meet.

The girls continued chatting for a few hours. They eventually needed to eat something as the sounds their stomachs were making sounded like an ogre in pain. They played rock, paper, scissors to decide who would get up to find the snack trolley.

Mina played scissors. Jihyo played scissors. Sana played paper.

Just Sana's luck. Or maybe it was the fact that both Mina and Jihyo knew that Sana always plays paper first in rock, paper, scissors....

Sana took some money from her cloak pocket and left the carriage to find the trolley. She didn't know whether to check the left side of the train first or the right side. She decided to check the left side first and she started walking down the train. However she did not see, at that same time, a carriage door open in front of her and a person walk out into the train's hallway.

If she had seen this, she wouldn't be face first on the floor with said person that just opened the door.

"Hey get off of me! Watch where you are going, you idiot!" the person screamed at Sana as they both tried to recover from falling on the floor.

"I'm so sorry! Are you hurt?"

"Of course I'm hurt you fell on top of me like a dead weight!" 

Now standing with both feet firmly on the ground, Sana could see the person she had just fallen on top of. It was a fifth year student from Slytherin. She was quite well know around school for causing trouble and havoc.

Chou Tzuyu.

"Listen, I'm really sorry I'll watch where I'm going next time!" Sana apologised.

"Yeah you better be sorry, filthy Mudblood."

Sana was used to hearing this word. Mudblood. Despite the wizarding war being resolved, and efforts to bring the wizarding community together, there were still people who thought of magic as a pure thing, and anything that wasn't pure wasn't magic. It did hurt her hearing people still use the word, but she couldn't exactly stop them from saying it.

"Hey! Watch what you're saying, Tzuyu!" Jihyo had come to see what the commontion was and managed to hear the end of the conversation.

Tzuyu smirked back at her. She knew that she was already causing trouble before the school year even officially starts.

"What are you gonna do about it, Blood Traitor?" Tzuyu snarked.

"I'm sure your fellow housemates would not be pleased with you if I were to deduct points from you before we even get to Hogwarts."

The smirk was quickly wiped off her face as quickly as it appeared. She didn't say a word and merely returned to her carriage with a sour expression on her face.

"Come on, Sana. Let's just get back to our own carriage." Jihyo escoted Sana and herself back to Mina.

Sana sat with a huff. She always hated getting into confrontations, because she would always need someone braver than her to deal with it for her. She was always grateful to Jihyo for always being there for her.

"Can you believe her? You'd think she'd learn to be nice but all she wants is to cause trouble. Are you okay, Sana?"

"I'm fine, Jihyo, just a little shaken."

Mina, who was now curious as to what was going on, couldn't help but inquire.

"What happened out there? And why did you come back with no snacks?"

"Sana tripped over fifth year Chou Tzuyu and then she called Sana a Mudblood."

Mina audibly gasped at hearing the word, as it had been quite a long time since she has heard it been used as well. She put a comforting arm around Sana and patted her back.

"I'm fine guys, really! Besides it was my fault anyway...."

"Let's just hope you two never crash into each other at Hogwarts....."