Brave and Fierce

Make Us Brand New

The sun is basking its rays into your apartment and your curtains flutter as a subtle breeze makes its way through your open windows. Despite this lovely weather, you’re currently being hassled by your best friend, Byun Baekhyun.

“Come on, it’ll be fun! You’ll be able to get your mind off all the other troubles you’ve been having lately” Baekhyun pesters as he shakes you by the arm. You’re currently sitting on your couch flipping through the pages of a fashion magazine and doing your best to ignore him, but it’s proven pretty difficult with your friend breathing into your ear.

“I’m fine. Go and enjoy yourself. Seriously, Baek” you sigh, throwing the magazine down onto the table. You stand up and make your way over to the kitchen. “If you stay any longer you’re going to make the rest of the group wait” you scold.

Baekhyun stares at you with a raised eyebrow. “What?” you ask as you pour yourself a glass of water. You catch a certain glint in his eyes as he stares at you. Your eyes widen, knowing what he’s about to do.

“Don’t you dar–” you start, only to be swept off your feet and hauled over Baekhyun’s shoulder like a sack of potatoes. You flail your limps around in an attempt to get yourself free but the grip Baekhyun has around your waist is too strong to escape.

“Sorry, sweetheart, but it really does pain us all to see you sobbing around over some who didn’t see your true worth” Baekhyun explains, his other hand gently resting on the back of your thigh. Once he enters your bathroom, Baekhyun carefully sets you down onto your feet. He’s then quick to take a couple steps back in case you were going to attack him.

You roll your eyes and step forward with your fist raised as if you were going to hit him, just to see his reaction. You laugh when he flinches and hides behind his hands. Seeing that you were joking, Baekhyun walks past you and turns on the showerhead.

“Go shower. I’ll be waiting in your room” Baekhyun says and turns to leave. He’s about to close the door when he realises that you haven’t moved at all.

“It’s either you move now or I get back in and bathe you myself” he threatens. You poke your tongue out at him and move to push him out of your bathroom, slamming the door shut. You quickly undress yourself and step into the shower. The temperature of the water is perfect. The years of having to deal with Baekhyun have indeed paid off.

Once you’re done you turn off the water and grab two towels, one to wrap around your body and the other to dry your hair. You walk into your room to find Baekhyun on his phone, on your bed with his back resting against the headboard. When he sees you he sits up with a grin.

“Good girl, you actually listened to oppa, hm?” he jokes. You roll your eyes in response. “Just change into these clothes. Hurry up” Baekhyun instructs, pointing vaguely towards the foot of the bed where he had laid out an outfit for you, underwear and all.

“Where did this come from?” you ask, holding up the dress. It was a strapless black body-con dress that seemed to stop mid-thigh. You don’t remember ever buying such piece of clothing. It wasn’t something you ever saw yourself wearing.

Baekhyun looks up from his phone and shows you his adorable eye smile before dropping it and focusing back on his phone. Shrugging, you pick up the rest of the garments and make your way into your walk in closet to get dressed.

You wear your underwear and slip on the dress Baekhyun got you. You then walk to Baekhyun and turn your back to him. Wordlessly, Baekhyun zips up your dress and then tugs on your elbow to spin you around as he gets off the bed. He takes a step back to observe you before pulling you closer to him by the waist.

“You look lovely” he murmurs and presses a kiss on your forehead. You peck his jawline in return, not really in the mood to accept compliments from him – or anyone – at the moment. You’re seated at your vanity table, blow drying your hair when Baekhyun walks over and takes the hairdryer from you. You close your eyes and enjoy the feeling of Baekhyun's fingers dancing through your hair and along your scalp.

Just when you think you could probably fall asleep just like this, the hairdryer is turned off and you snap out of your thoughts. Baekhyun had helped you to not only dry your hair but also style it. Your hair now had natural looking waves, a style you’ve mentioned once that you really liked, since your hair is usually straight. Since then, Baekhyun had kept it noted in the back of his mind whenever he would play with your hair.

Baekhyun bends down and looks at you through the mirror. “You’ll be fine. I’m here for you, alright?” he reassures you. You nod. He rubs his hands up and down your arm and then leaves you alone to do your makeup.  Soon enough, you’re done and you get up from your seat and Baekhyun walks over to you.

“Remember, alright?” he reminds you. You nod again. “Be brave…?” he starts off, holding his fist up and looking at you expectantly. You chuckle and shake your head. “Come on, don’t leave me hanging. Be brave…?” he repeats himself.

“Be fierce” you mutter, embarrassed as you connect your fist with his. Baekhyun grins and brings your head closer to press a kiss on your forehead. “Good girl” he hums against your skin.

Without another word, Baekhyun grabs your purse and pulls you out of your apartment. You get into his car once he opens the door for you, closing it as well once he’s sure you’ve seated properly. You watch him as he makes his way over to the driver’s side, smoothly entering the car and closing the door shut without missing a beat.

“You ready?” he asks, glancing at you as he starts the engine.

“No” you answer. Of course you’re not. It was going to be the first time since you’ve properly been out since your break up. You hear Baekhyun sigh beside you.

“If you really don’t want to go then…” he stops when he sees you turn your head to stare at him, knowing that if he continued talking he’d end up with a red mark on his arm. You sigh and rest your elbow on the side of the door.

“You’ve been pestering me all afternoon, trying to convince me to go. Might as well go through with it” you grumble into the palm of your hand.

“Don’t do that, you’ll stain your lipstick” Baekhyun reprimands you, tapping your arm with his forefinger. You quickly sit up straight and drop your hands into your lap.

“Your break up wasn’t anything horrific” Baekhyun states as he stops at a red light. “You simply drifted away because he never knew how much of a special girl you are. Just find someone tonight and hook up with them. Forget all about it” he jokes. He then frowns a little and quickly adds, "Only if I approve, though"

“Wow, look at you. Being such a great friend” you say sarcastically. Baekhyun laughs and resumes driving when the light turns green.

“Only the best for you, love”


A/N: And so it begins. Thanks for reading!