prologue

Partners by Love

 

Prologue

=====================

He stood there holding his breath, his whole body trembling in fear, shocked, and terror with heart thundering loudly inside his chest. His eyes flickered to the stilled bodies lying in a pool of blood that colored the white floor and ruined the fluffy carpet in the middle of the living room.

It was as if all the air in his lung has suddenly disappeared, he cannot breathe, and the pounding inside his head only seems to make it worse. He wanted to move, wanted touch them, to make sure that this is all just a dream and the stilled bodies were still breathing. But he couldn’t move an inch, it was if he was chained tightly.

And suddenly there was a sound, a deep chuckle that made his whole body shivers. Slowly, his gaze flickered toward the back of the house where his sister’s room was. And there stood a man, wearing a black jacket hoodie that mostly cover half of his face with a knife on his right hand while the other hand was grabbing the back of his sister clothes.

“Bu Yong-ah…” he almost didn’t recognize his own voice, so low, hoarse, and trembling with fear laced into it. His little sister, his precious little sister who’s so innocent, so young, was grabbed by the back of her clothes by a stranger, as if she weight like nothing. But it would be easy to carry her like that, he was only 8 and she doesn’t weight that much. She was so frail.

The lids of her eyes half-opened, and she then spoke, that sounds too much like a whimpers of pain in his ears, “Oppa…” she was crying, and he didn’t even realize that his own tears was flowing. He didn’t dare to flickered his eyes away from his sister’s, as if it was his own lifeline. “Op-Oppa… please save me…”

“B-Bu Yong-ah…” He stumbled forward, trying to reach his little sister. But it was the wrong move. The man raised his hand that was holding a knife before plunged it down.

And he screamed.

 

 

Jong Suk woke up with a scream, his eyes gaze wildly at his surrounding as he trying to figure out where he was. Only when his eyes landed on the alarm clock beeping loudly at the table that he realized he was in his own small, stuffy, dirty apartment. Leaning back against the headboard of his small bed, Jong Suk held his breath as the sweat running down his face. He noticed that his whole body was trembling, and he tried to take a deep breath to calm himself. Only when he finally calmed enough that he finally wiped away the sweat on his face. He grabbed the bottle of water on the floor and gulping it down his throat. When he had enough, he heaved out a loud sigh and put the bottle down as he moved to sit on the side of the bed.

He cupped his face with his two hands, leaning against his knees. “Damn… another dream of it…”

Letting out another sigh, he took a glance at the alarm clock and his eyes widen comically. “What?! Seven past thirty?!” he immediately turned the alarm off and pushed himself out of bed. “Damn it! I’m going to be late!”

He hurriedly went to the bathroom and brushes his teeth while walking to the fridge. He scanned what was inside and groaned when he there’s not much food left. He hasn’t gone shopping for a few weeks. So he decided to skip breakfast and hurriedly took a bath.

It took 10 minutes for Jong Suk to finish taking a bath and wearing his clothes. He doesn’t really care about his looks, really, but he really needs to start learning to care if he wanted to make a good first impression on the first day of his work. The white buttoned shirt fitted nicely with his slender body. Jong Suk knew that he doesn’t have that muscled, but he still have some of it and it fit perfectly with his entire body. He doesn’t look that strong big, but he doesn’t small and weak either.

Taking a glance at his own reflection at the mirror, Jong Suk pondered whether he should wear a jacket or a sweater over this shirt. After taking another glance at the clock and suddenly reminded he was in hurry, he grabbed his blue sweater and put his head over it and grabbed his sling bag. He make sure to checked that he brought everything he needed and didn’t forget to turn off everything before he went off.

Running hurriedly with his long legs, it took about five minutes for Jong Suk to get to the bus station, and he smiled in relief when he was just in time as the bus about to arrive.

“Aaaaahh!!!”

He was startled when he heard that scream, he turned around and saw a middle aged woman crouching on the ground. “Are you alright mam?” he asked worriedly as he approached her.

“Thief!” she screamed. “That man took my wallet away!” she pointed at the man who was running away with wallet on his left hand.

In reflex, Jong Suk began to chase that man without thinking. Thankfully he was a fast runner as it doesn’t take him too long got near the thief. Bless his long legs. “Yaaah! You! Stop!!” It was stupid to say that of course, because it would only make the thief keep running after knowing that there’s someone chasing him. Jong Suk cursed quietly, but then there was two police on patrol in front not too far away from the thief caught his eyes, and he immediately scream, “Ya! That guy is a thief! Catch him!”

But the two police was too caught off guard, and probably because it was too sudden, and they just look bewildered as the thief ran past them. Jong Suk gritted his teeth in annoyance. “You—! Damn it!” he shouted as he too ran past the two police officer who still looked bewildered before it all finally registered in their head and they immediately followed Jong Suk to chase at the thief.

“Yah! You thief! Stop!” with his entire strength, Jong Suk tried to ran faster and faster until there was only a few meters between him and the thief before he jumped at the thief, sending them rolling to the ground.

The thief immediately struggle, but Jong Suk held on. He put the thief’s hand behind his back and hold him down with his whole body. Thankfully, the two police officers finally got to them and arrested the thief. The two police officers thanked him for helping catching the thief and Jong Suk smiled in return, “It’s alright. I’m glad I can be of any help.”

After making sure that the thief was brought away by the police and the returning the wallet to its rightful owner, Jong Suk immediately sped off toward his work place.

He’ll late for sure in his first day.

-------------------------------------------

“Ya, Kim Woo Bin. Wake up.”

Woo Bin opened his eyes, his peacefulness broke as his mind was once again filled with the sound of telephone calls, papers shuffling, and the incessant typing. Glaring up at the man in front of him, he ran a hand through his hair, "What is it Min Ho-hyung?"

Lee Min Ho crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Come on, the rookies is here. The Chief wanted us to come to his office to meet with the new guys that’s going to be in our team.”

Slowly letting out a breath, Woo Bin scratch the back of his head lazily. “Do we have to? I’m kind of tired.”

A file of papers met his head, and Woo Bin groan as he glared at Min Ho who scowled at him. “Don’t be such a lazy . You should’ve been excited that you finally got a partner.”

Woo Bin smirked at that. Yes he was very lucky that he didn’t get partnered up with their Team Leader. Their Chief, Choi Daniel, was the strictest and annoying person that Woo Bin ever met in his life. He always teased and picked on both of them, especially on Woo Bin. It must’ve been because he was practically the youngest in their team. But Choi Daniel had been the reason he had worked as a detective at the first place. He was mostly known as the legendary detective who solved every case. He’s a very smart and a very intellectual person. The kind of guy that Woo Bin looked up, and he was only 32 years old. If only he didn’t have that annoying personality, Woo Bin would’ve respected him very much.

But then again, Woo Bin was only 26 but he had become a detective, and of course Min Ho had managed it as well and he was only 28. That means they’re pretty amazing too right?

Pushing himself off from the chair, he began to walked to the Chief’s office, followed by Min Ho who immediately walked by his side. “You know,” Min Ho began, “you’re really lucky. One of the rookies is a girl. She’s pretty.”

Woo Bin chuckled. “Well, too bad. Not interested.”

“I know, I know. I’m just saying. Because I would’ve been definitely envy you if she became your partner. Plus, you didn’t get partnered up with a stuck-up and sarcastic partner like the Chief.”

Woo Bin let out a laugh at that and smacked Min Ho arm playfully. “You’re an idiot.”

“Ya! You brat!” Min Ho smacked Woo Bin back in playful revenge before plucking his hand into the pocket of his jacket. He nudged Woo Bin with his arm. “But hey, the other two guy is not that bad as well. I’ve seen their pictures too and they’re good looking. And I think one of them is definitely your type?”

At that, Woo Bin turned to look at his friend and senior, raising one of his eyebrows. “Really?”

Min Ho smirked. “Yeah, you know. Beautiful, pale and fair skin, pouty lips, and he looks slender, but not skinny. And I definitely thought that he’s cute. Your actual type.”

Woo Bin gave a small smile. The image that Min Ho’s description gave him only lead him to think of the one person that had become his first love. It’s made him sad whenever he thought about him. It’s been a few years already, but Woo Bin never once forgot that beautiful face. The way he sounded whenever he called Woo Bin’s name with a smile….

“Woo Bin-ah?”

Startled by the call, he snapped out of his mind. “Uh… what?”

Min Ho stopped walking as they finally got in front of the office and stared at him. “You okay? You’re spacing out.”

Woo Bin smirked, “Of course I am. Just who do you think am I?”

The older man rolled his eyes. “Geez, such a cocky brat…” the murmured was not left unheard by Woo Bin and he chuckled, following Min Ho walking inside the Chief’s office to greet their new rookies.

As Min Ho pushed the door opened, they saw Chief Choi was sitting at his edge of his small desk, facing the rookies who were standing not too far away from him. Woo Bin could see the truth behind Min Ho’s word that the girl was indeed, pretty. Very pretty to be exact even though her hair was cut quite shortly, but it gives her a very refreshing image. Woo Bin knew that she was definitely Min Ho’s type.

And the other guy was definitely handsome too. Probably at the same height as Min Ho. He has a long sharp kind-of jaw, just like Woo Bin. Woo Bin can definitely tell that compared with that guy, he got more abs. Sure, that guy had a broad shoulder, but judging from the shape of his body, Woo Bin knew that he got more muscles. And that made him kind of proud knowing that got more muscles than another guy. Well, except for Min Ho who’s definitely bulkier than Woo Bin.

But wait, where’s the other one?

Turning to look at them, Chief Choi gave a smile. “Ah, you finally came.” He said before motioning the two of them to stood beside him. “So, this is your seniors who also work in this team. This one is the Temperament Cool Guy, Lee Min Ho. And the other one is the Grumpy Chic Guy, Kim Woo Bin.” Chief Choi casually said, ignoring the glare that given by both Min Ho and Woo Bin.

The leader of the team grabbed a file from his desk. “Alright then…” he trailed off as he shuffled through the files before turned to the other two rookies standing in front of them. “Park Shin Hye and Kim Young Kwang eh?”

“Nde!” the two replied.

Chief Choi smiled at their enthusiasm. “Well, let’s just get the introduction started. Even though the other new rookie, Lee Jong Suk, was late, let’s not waste any more time. Time is a—”

“What did you just say?”

All eyes turned to the owner of the voice, and Chief Choi raised an eyebrow at Woo Bin who had interrupted him. “Sorry?”

Woo Bin was staring at the Chief with eyes wide open in shock. It was as if all the air in his lung had suddenly disappeared and he found himself a little hard to breath. It must’ve been the loud pounding inside his heart that he misheard it. But he wanted to make sure, that he just heard it right. He needed to make sure.  “You—” he swallowed, “What was his name again?”

Choi Daniel blinked at his subordinate. He had never seen a reaction from Woo Bin like this. “You know Lee Jong Suk?” he asked instead, and staring in amusement at the bewildered look on Woo Bin’s face. Whoever this person is, he must’ve been someone very important to him. What else could it be when the usual stoic and cool guy showed this kind of look?

Right at that moment, the door of the office was swing opened, and a guy with pale skin and chestnut colored hair stumbled inside, looking breathless. “Excuse me! I’m really sorry I’m late! My name is Lee Jong S—” he never got to finish his sentence as his eyes met with another. The face that he hadn’t saw for 10 years. There was a few change for sure, but Jong Suk would never mistook him by someone else. He would never ever forget that face.

“…Jong Suk-ah?” Woo Bin was the first to opened his mouth, eyes never once leaving at the person in front of him. No, he couldn’t. Not when he finally found him.

“W-Woo Bin-ah?” Jong Suk stuttered, eyes nearly trembling and he hold back the tears that started to gather in his eyes.    

The others was staring at the two of them in confusion while Chief Choi just smiled mischievously, glancing at Woo Bin and then this Lee Jong Suk guy. He was right. This two knew each other.

It’s going to be fun from this day on, he thought.

 

Please do excuse my poor English. And… please tell me what you think about this if you want me to continue or not.