*1*

Misanthrope to Micawber

My name is Kyungsoo and I am in a club full of misanthropes, but I hate all the members. I go through life despising everything. What is the point of humankind? We destroy the earth, we kill animals, we kill each other. We're disgusting. Humans disgust me.

 

"Kyungsoo," the voice made Kyungsoo cringe (like all voices did), "will you let me drive you home today?"

"I don't like you, Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo responded flatly. It was the same as every other day, Kyungsoo would go through his daily life hating everyone and silently judging them and when he walked out the front gates Jongin would run up to him and ask if he could drive him home despite them living in opposite directions. It was tiring. Correction: Exhausting.

"Maybe tomorrow," Jongin smiled sweetly and walked away to his car. He would ask again tomorrow and once again Kyungsoo would reject him. It's been like that for 2 years, and it would continue despite Kyungsoo's hatred. Jongin didn't seem to care. It’s like he was trying to change Kyungsoo, or get in his pants. He didn’t know which one was worse.

Jongin and Kyungsoo were different. Like they were from different worlds. Kyungsoo was a Misanthrope and Jongin was a Micawber. They were too different. It was sad and pathetic how Jongin tried to even have a semblance of a relationship with Kyungsoo. Pathetic.

 

That's so disgusting. Kyungsoo stared with disgust as Baekhyun and Taeyeon held hands on the bus that morning. It was the same every day but somehow it still made him gag. He was sure they were lovely people but something about them made him want to jump off a building. They caught him looking and immediately their hands broke. He had that effect on people.

 

Kill me. Kyungsoo just rested his head in the palm of his hands as he listened to Jongdae "fight" with Teacher Lee about why Genghis Khan was a pokemon and not an actual person who lived. He's so ing stupid. It seemed all the chemicals Jongdae had blown up with Tao had affected his brain cells and made him even dumber than what he already was.

 

"Fight me!" Kyungsoo's eyes rolled as Junmyun stood in front of the tallest boy in school in his fighting stance. If that's even what it was. 2 days of kendo didn’t account to “being an expert in fighting” as Junmyun claimed.

"I don't have time today Junmyun." Yifan sighed. This was a normal occurrence between the 2 students. In the previous election for student body president they both tied and so the school board decided on having a joint presidency. Something Junmyun was not too happy about and he always managed to find a reason to be mad at Yifan. One time he even stated that the reason he punched Yifan was because, and I quote "I caught him using a pencil that was not the certified #2 and in the handbook for Student Body President it clearly states in Section 4 Article 3 Paragraph 5 Sentence 1 that "Student Body President must always under no circumstance use any pencil other than a #2." It clearly stated that.

 

It was during study hall 6th period that Kyungsoo truly dreaded. He had an independent study hall with 2 other seniors; Luhan and Minseok. They were gay. Not that Kyungsoo hated gays specifically, he hated everyone equally it was just that those 2 were very...intimate and a majority of the days they were making out and getting touchy in the corner. On the rare occasion Minseok would try to work on his Calculus homework but Luhan would get and Minseok being the diligent wonderful boyfriend he was would have to tend to his boyfriends needs. They completely ignored Kyungsoo's existence, probably because they knew he couldn't hate them anymore than he already did. Which was true. He wouldn’t want them to not exist regardless if they were dating or not.

 

So stupid. Yixing was behind the bleachers during gym class with his friends, Dumb and Dumber, aka, Sehun and Chanyeol. They weren't necessarily trouble-makers they were just a waste of space. They contributed nothing to society in Kyungsoo's mind. All they did was inject pot or whatever it is druggies do. He wasn't quite sure. But it disgusted him nonetheless. Yixing always tried to be deep but he ended up just sounding like a pothead.

"If you do good things good things do to you."

"Damn bruh that was deep." Chanyeol praised through hooded bloodshot eyes.

"You the man, Yixing." Sehun applauded.

"For the love of God." Kyungsoo groaned.

 

"Can I drive you home today Kyungsoo?" Jongin asked once again.

"No."

"Alright." Jongin smiled and kept walking with Kyungsoo.  Kyungsoo's eyes grew even wider as he stared at Jongin.

"Go back to your car." He ordered.

"Nah, I might as well walk you home. Someone might jump you." Jongin stuck his hands in his pockets as he casually strolled along with the misanthrope.

"Why are you so interested in me, Kim Jongin?" Kyungsoo questioned. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Because I think you're lying." His sudden confession made Kyungsoo stop in his tracks at a red cross light.

"W-what?"

"You don't hate people,Kyungsoo, you just haven't found the right people to hang out with." Jongin's eyes were sparkling, somehow, he didn't know how, but he knew that Jongin was being sincere.

"And you think you're the right person?"

"How should I know?" Jongin chuckled, his hearty laughter sparked something.

"Then why?" Kyungsoo was more confused than anything. This is why I hate people.

"If I don't give it a try then we'll never really know." Genuine smiles were the only thing Jongin showed. He truly was the kindest person Kyungsoo had ever met. He still didn't like him but maybe he wasn't all that bad.

"You can walk me home," Kyungsoo stated flatly and the grin that spread across Jongin’s face made even the sun seem pathetic in comparison, "only for today."

"That's a start."


Little by little. It was suppose to only be one day but Jongin's persistent nature forced Kyungsoo to allow him to walk him home everyday. He still refused to let Jongin drive because who knew what could happen. Walking was safe. He enjoyed their time and he felt they were getting closer. He still hated people but Jongin just kept edging himself into every single part of Kyungsoo's life that he couldn't just ignore him. It would be a stretch to say that Kyungsoo transformed from a Misanthrope to a Micawber, but he didn't hate everyone. Jongin was okay.