Penguin Family

Remembrance

Kyungsoo is one of the millions of ordinary people roaming the surface of the earth and living in her own reality where she has her own apartment she rents, a paying job as one of the sales front liners in a boutique in the biggest mall in the city and has a normal family and a couple of friends. There is nothing remarkable in her, maybe except her large eyes and heart-shaped lips but that’s it. She follows a routine every weekdays and let’s herself enjoy on the weekends. Nothing too much fun and crazy though and that is a great feat especially that she is friends with Baekhyun and Luhan, the finest party animals out there.

She lives a rather monotonous life but she is not complaining. She gets to pay her bills on time and still spare money for her parents in the province. She’s content with how things are playing out for her. She wasn’t one with a big ambition because she likes to play it safe. Kyungsoo is boring, as Baekhyun points out often, but that is good enough for her. Until one morning, she had a very urgent urge to throw up everything that she has eaten the day before.

She ignored it at first, thinking that Luhan has done something with her food again and vowed to call her out on it later. But she dismissed that thought even before she could get her hands on one of her bestfriends when it happened the next day. And the next. And the next. Until it stretched out to two weeks and it was inevitable that her energy levels suffers as well. She refused to go to the hospital when her boss, Junmyeon, has noticed her fatigue manifesting in her eyes suggested that she get herself checked. She brushed it off as something like flu and reassured the elder that she is fine.

Her usual meals that is consisted of having a serving of vegetables, meat and a little dessert changed drastically over the time she was ill. She was craving for white chocolates. But they have to have almonds in them and Toblerone just wouldn’t cut it. She has nagged Baekhyun and Luhan again and again to get their together and get her what she exactly wants. Her friends’ worry over her has also turned to exasperation when all she did was demand things from them, even in the wee hours of the night and most especially when they both have their boyfriend time interrupted because Kyungsoo needs them to get her a Pororo stuffed toy at ten in the evening.

“Dammit, Kyungsoo!” Luhan complained as she pushed Sehun off of her, disgruntled. “You very well know that all the stores are closed right now! Can’t this wait tomorrow?”

But Kyungsoo felt so disappointed and sad that she can’t have Pororo to cuddle with that night. “Ohh…” he voice is trembling because of unshed tears. “S-sorry. Good night then, Lu-Lulu.”

Luhan now felt a little guilty for snapping at her bestfriend who had been acting really weird lately. “Don’t worry, Soo. We’ll get that Pororo first thing tomorrow.”

There was a light sniff and Luhan knew she screwed up. Baekhyun will eat her inside out if she knows about this but Kyungsoo is certainly not herself lately and they are both worried that her sickness is something serious but she won’t go to the hospital to make sure of things. There is only one thing that Luhan could think of that fits with how Kyungsoo is and she thinks it out loudly.

“If I haven’t known better, I will say that you’re acting like a pregnant person, Soo.”

Kyungsoo didn’t speak to her the next day and the following days.

Baekhyun had come running to Kyungsoo’s apartment one day when she called her crying uncontrollably over the phone. Chanyeol had driven her there and she burst inside after keying in the passcode and she found Kyungsoo, sitting on the floor and her pants not buttoned up. She waved for her boyfriend to stay out of the room and she pulled Kyungsoo into an embrace, the latter clinging on her like a lifeline.

“Soo, why are you crying? Are you hungry? Do you want chocolate?”

“Baek,” she croaked out and Baekhyun knew that she had been crying longer. “My… my pants won’t f-fit me anymore! I’m fat from all the chocolates I ate!” and she bawled her eyes out once more. Concerned, Chanyeol walked up and hovered by the door.

“Yeol, can you call up Junmyeon and tell Soo is not coming to work?” her boyfriend nodded and left again. Baekhyun is more worried than ever for Kyungsoo, after she learned from Luhan the reason why the two of them stopped talking to each other. She felt stupid for not realizing it sooner but he just couldn’t wrap her head around the possibility that Kyungsoo is pregnant.

Her bestfriend has had no boyfriend since birth and the most among the three of them so how could that have happened? Kyungsoo has not shown any interest to the guys who had tried to ask her out and she only showed some reaction over that Kai guy who has his face taped on one of Kyungsoo’s walls and that could hardly count because they guy is a ing celebrity. But as she saw more and more of the symptoms, she really couldn’t deny it anymore but she can’t bring herself to ask her about it. Baekhyun can’t risk Kyungsoo not talking to her as well.

She led her back to her bed and grabbed one of her night dresses, the one with a big Pororo head on it, after she removed her top and slid it on her before she took off the pants that has made Kyungsoo cry. Baekhyun had subtly touched her bestfriend’s belly to check and she almost cried herself because even though she doesn’t know everything about being pregnant, that bump she felt under her hand is definitely a baby bump.

“Soo?”

Sniff.

“We really need to go to the hospital later.”

“N-no, Baek! I don’t want to!”

Baekhyun shot her a firm glare that has Kyungsoo whimpering at defeat. “We are going to see a doctor, Do Kyungsoo, and I don’t care if I have to drag you there. You hear me?”

 


Breaking out the news was the next thing that Baekhyun knew should be done. They called Luhan first and it was rather dramatic because Kyungsoo was adamantly apologizing for acting like a and Luhan is profusely saying that she was at fault because she has already felt that Kyungsoo is pregnant and she should’ve known better than to upset a pregnant lady. Chanyeol and Sehun took the news coolly as well and were warned that their girlfriends will be spending much more time with Kyungsoo from then on.

Junmyeon was worried and because she has grown fond of Kyungsoo, she has allowed her to work out of schedule because she knows that Kyungsoo shouldn’t be tiring herself out, especially since the doctors have said that Kyungsoo’s baby lacks proper care and the baby needs utmost attention to be healthy in no time.

The next person is going to be touchy, Baekhyun feels it for Kyungsoo has not mentioned, even once, about the father of her baby. Luhan was curious about it too but she is still a little cautious around Kyungsoo. She doesn’t want her to be upset with her again and so Baekhyun was left with the task. It was one weekend where they had decided to stay over at Kyungsoo’s apartment to watch movies. Sehun and Chanyeol tagged along, in case that Kyungsoo might need them and she smiled at that, giving the boyfriends of her bestfriends a sweet smile and a meek thank you.

Luhan nominated herself to prepare the snacks and the boys volunteered to get more drinks and so leaving Baekhyun with Kyungsoo on the couch. Kyungsoo has turned into a cuddly bear over the past days and she is now cuddling Baekhyun, her arms around her bestfriend and her chin on her shoulder as she puffs light air towards Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun could’ve cooed but she has an important task at hand and she didn’t delay any further.

“Soo, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, Baekkie,” Kyungsoo planted a peck on the other’s cheek. “What is it?”

“Your… uhh… baby’s daddy…”

Kyungsoo pulled back with a frown and her features settled then to a melancholic smile and her eyes shone with resignation. It twisted something inside Baekhyun’s heart.

“He’s… gone,” she shook her head. “He’s not coming back, Baek,” cue in the waterworks and Baekhyun could only pull her into a comforting hug. Luhan, who was secretly listening in on their conversation, joined them too. When Kyungsoo has calmed down a bit, Baekhyun’s curiosity is still on high and he couldn’t help herself and ask some more questions.

“When did you meet, Soo? I mean… Who is he? Is he just around the neighborhood? Is he a customer at a boutique? Did… did you do it willingly?”

Kyungsoo blushed at the last question and she buried her face on Luhan’s shoulder. “I… I met him at the mall and… there is no way for us to meet again, Baek. Let’s just leave it at that.”

And they did until it was one day that Kyungsoo’s parents paid her a visit from the province, fresh vegetables and fruits in tow.

Luckily, Luhan is with Kyungsoo that time because she and Baekhyun had been taking turns every week on who will look after Kyungsoo. They really couldn’t hide it anymore because Kyungsoo is already seven months and two weeks in.

“Uhm, hi mama, papa,” she waved at them with her one hand while the other is resting on her rounded belly. There was only silence after that and Luhan had stood close to Kyungsoo, putting her hands on the other’s waist to let her know that she is there.

But still, it wasn’t enough because they were not prepared with how Kyungsoo’s parents had taken the news.

“You. Are. Pregnant? And we don’t know anything about it?” her mother asked. Kyungsoo flinched at the harsh glare that is being directed to her innocent baby. She chose not to speak because the answer is already obvious but her father’s words made her weak on the knees.

“How dare you get pregnant before even letting us meet a boyfriend? You are a disgrace to the family, Kyungsoo. This is preposterous! What will our family say? Your uncles and aunts? Your cousins? Is this how you intend to influence them, by getting pregnant out of wedlock? Show us the face of that man who you chose to sin with, at least.”

Tears streamed down her eyes as Kyungsoo shook her head, having no one for her parents to meet. She couldn’t even tell her friends who the guy who knocked her up is. Besides, who would believe her?

Seeing that Kyungsoo is not in any state of dealing with her parents at that moment, Luhan almost rudely kicked them out of the apartment, not understanding why such parents exist. She pulled Kyungsoo into her embrace and texting Sehun with her phone in one of her hands, asking him to buy them dinner because she feels that Kyungsoo might not let her go soon.

 


Kyungsoo eyed her baby boy who is sleeping on her bed, his thumb stuck in his mouth. A bad habit of his that she is yet to get rid of. She sighed deeply as she remembered his innocent question when he saw what is stuck on one of her walls. She had already forgotten that it was there, in her defense but she should’ve remembered about it sooner than let her son see it because then, she wouldn’t have to hear that question she dreads.

“Mommy, is he my dad?” Taeoh asked while pointing at the offensive poster that has been stuck there for years already.

“W-why would you think that, baby?” she cursed herself for stuttering and thanks that Taeoh is still too young to notice such things.

“Hmm, he looks like me?” he tilted his head cutely and Kyungsoo wanted to cry because her four-turning-five year old is right. In more ways than one.

“Who is he, mommy? Is he daddy?”

“No, baby. He’s just some star that mommy liked before but not anymore. Can you help me remove it?”

 


Kyungsoo looked up and smiled as she saw that it is already past four in the afternoon and Taeoh gets out of his school in around half an hour. She took her bag and met her boss’ gaze from the office beside her table. She smiled at her and bowed but Junmyeon held up a hand for her to wait up. Confused, she put her bag down on her table and waited for her to get out of the office with something in her hand. Kyungsoo smiled at the Pororo paper bag that her boss raised and pushed to her.

“Tell Taeoh happy birthday for me, okay?” Junmyeon smiled. “Sorry, I can’t go…”

“That’s okay, Junnie. Your husband is more important and he’s coming home from China so I understand,” she patted her shoulder and smiled back. She had been really good friends with Junmyeon and as the boutique succeeded over the years, Kyungsoo had gotten the position as Junmyeon’s executive assistant and she’s really thankful because it helps her with all the expenses of raising a child on her own.

After leaving the office, Kyungsoo got into her car and called Taeoh’s school to let them know that she will come to pick him up because it is usually Luhan, who is a teacher there, who brings her son home. She then drove towards the school, eyeing from time to time the presents that are on the front seat. Aside from Junmyeon’s gift, there is also her gift to her son, the Optimus Prime action figure that he has been eyeing since Christmas but she wasn’t able to get because she has already bought him a new bed (because I’m a big boy now, mom!) complete with Pororo and Transformers sets of bed sheets.

She parked on one of the spaces near the elementary department and headed towards the gates when she saw a small crowd. Curious, she went to check what it is about but felt her stomach drop when she saw her son in the middle of the crowd, looking confused and scared. Taeoh is a shy child and he doesn’t like too many people around. He gets that from his mom who made her way into the middle and lifted him by his sides.

“Mommy!” he cried as he wrapped his limbs tightly on Kyungsoo who is glaring at the other mothers who have been surrounding Taeoh.

“Excuse me but what is going on?” she asked them and at least, they looked ashamed because Taeoh is softly sobbing against her neck.

“It’s just… Sorry, but he looks a lot like Kai and we got curious,” one of them answered. Kyungsoo stiffened but put on her mask of indifference. “But, your son looks really cute,” she quipped again.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo said flatly. “Please excuse us,” the others parted as she made their way through them and she saw Luhan looking at them anxiously.

“Soo, I’m sorry. I should’ve taken Tae myself but he ran when he heard that you are picking him up and I got stuck with a student who needed help,” she explained as she took in that her godson is crying. Kyungsoo sighed.

“That’s fine,” and she whispered to her son, “Are you ready to go to the mall?”

Upon hearing the word mall, Taeoh released his mommy’s neck and nodded, his face tear streaked but his lips are pulled up to a small smile.

“Happy birthday, baby. I love you.”

Taeoh is now beaming and he kissed his mom on the lips. “Thanks, mom. I love you too because you are the best!”

They met Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Sehun at the restaurant where Kyungsoo has reserved for them. They had already treated his classmates yesterday even though it was Kyungsoo who had the birthday. Since she is not expected to work, she took that opportunity to cook and serve snacks to the kids at the school so today, it will be a celebration for his birthday and Taeoh’s with the people who are the most important to them.

On the way there, the boy’s attention was solely on his newest Optimus Prime he was playing well on his own besides his Auntie Lulu but when they were in the restaurant, his focus was shifted from his toy to the four year old daughter of Baekhyun and Chanyeol, Yebin. He gave his toy to his mom and pulled Yebin by the hand so that they could go to the kids section where toys are there for them to play with.

“I swear your son will go through a needle hole before he gets to my daughter, Do Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun shook her finger on Kyungsoo who rolled her eyes and scoffed.

“Would you rather it be some snotty stranger kid than my handsome angel over there?”

“She’s got a point, babe,” Chanyeol added and yelped when his wife pinched his ear.

“You should be on my side, you ! I’m your wife and I’m pregnant with your child. Again!”

Luhan and Sehun were quietly laughing at Chanyeol’s why-is-my-wife-so-difficult face with their hands entwined. Kyungsoo decided to tease them about it.

“You may be laughing now but let’s see when Luhan gets to that phase,” she smirked when Sehun paled and Luhan giggled.

“I promise to be a good wife even three or four months from now, Hunnie.”

Sehun groaned. “I think I heard Baek say that to Chanyeol before too.”

Kyungsoo and Luhan openly laughed and only calmed down when the food was served. Kyungsoo excused herself to get her son and Yebin though she wasn’t expecting to see Taeoh talking to a stranger. She has reminded him everyday about that and that might also be the reason why her son was upset about the mothers earlier at his school. She almost ran to where her son is when she spotted Yebin standing not too far from where Taeoh is talking to a stranger. Kyungsoo scooped her up first before heading towards her son but she froze when she heard Yebin murmur.

“Auntie Soo, that man looks like Tae,” and then she raised her little finger and pointed at the guy who has his back on them. Kyungsoo pushed down any other thoughts besides getting her son back because something inside her tells that she knows the owner of those broad shoulders and long, lean legs. She has spent years looking at this man, even though it is only on the tv, on the billboards and in the magazines.

“Mommy! I made a new friend! His name is Jongin,” Taeoh waved his mom over and his Jongin friend looked back. “Uncle Jongin, that’s my mommy!”

Kyungsoo avoided eye contact because she knows that his son’s new friend is boring holes into her face at the moment. She reached out her free hand to Taeoh and he happily skipped to hold it.

“Baby, what did I tell you about talking to strangers?”

Taeoh pouted. “But he looks like me! Don’t you, Uncle Jongin? He also looks like the guy in the poster, mom!”

“I…”

“I don’t want to be rude but I don’t want my son to be around strangers. I hope you understand, especially a celebrity like you, Mr. Kim. We’ll take our leave,” she bowed but still making no eye contact and pulled her son who was shouting a goodbye to his new friend and telling the man that he wants to play with him soon.

Kyungsoo felt a hand on her cheek. “Aunt Soo, why are you crying?” Yebin asked with a frown on her little forehead. She Kyungsoo shook her head and smiled at her.

“Nothing, Yebin-ah. Something just got into my eyes.”

 


Kyungsoo panicked as soon as she opened the tv on the late night news. This is what she has been fearing the most and she asks herself what she has done to see her nightmares come alive. The headline on the showbiz news is mocking her greatly and the picture that was shown made her quickened her breathing, her panic rising on so many levels in a short time. Not long after, she heard her phone ringing and she knew that one way or another, one of her bestfriends would see this, seeing as they have the habit of sitting in front of the late night news before sleeping.

“Yes, Baekkie?”

“You know why I called, Do Kyungsoo.”

Yes, she knows why Baekhyun had called and she knows that Luhan might be calling her as well and is getting the busy tone. She knows that they will ask her the questions that has been buried deeply in her for the last six years. She knows that they deserve to know the truth all this time because it was them who had stuck around her during her darkest times and they didn’t abandon her. She knows that she will eventually let the truth out and not only tell her friends but also her son, who will probably be mad at her because she has lied to him when she always tells him to not do it because it is bad.

“Let’s meet tomorrow. I’ll… I’ll tell you everything.”

But it was easier said than done when the doorbell rang just as Kyungsoo was about to wake Taeoh up for breakfast. It was still too early and she has specifically told her bestfriends to come at around two in the afternoon and it was just almost nine in the morning. Thinking that it was Baekhyun who has grown impatient and might’ve nagged Chanyeol to drive her there or Luhan who is worried but excited for the impromptu meeting. She twisted the knob, completely forgetting that she could’ve checked on the wall panel.

“What part of two pm…?”

“Good morning,” came a deep voice that she knew none of Baekhyun or Luhan has. It couldn’t be Chanyeol or Sehun because she knows their voices well from being friends for years. She made the mistake of looking up and she was met with chocolate brown eyes with equally chocolatey skin, high cheekbones and plump moist lips that she has admired years ago.

“Do you need something? Are you lost?” her voice was surprisingly level but her knuckles are turning white as she gripped the door knob tightly.

The guy in front of her scratched the back of his neck with one of his smiles that Kyungsoo has loved. “I… I’m Jongin. Uhm, I met Taeoh yesterday at the restaurant…”

“What do you want, Mr. Kim?” her sharp tone has given away her innocent act and Jongin’s posture straightened as he caught the change in her tone.

“I just… I don’t know if you could still remember but… some years ago, you helped me. You helped me hide from… my fans?”

“Where are you getting at with this, Mr. Kim? It’s bad enough that my son’s face is all over the news and maybe the tabloids today so can you just get over what you want to say and please leave,” Kyungsoo crossed her arms in front of her and did her best to glare at Kim Jongin, also known as Kai. The person who, yes, she helped escape from obsessed fans even though she was a fan herself. And also the person who left her with Taeoh.

Jongin grimaced at the reminder that the paparazzi is still hot on his trail after all these years and now that he has retired to start his own company a year ago. “I’m sorry about that but… is Taeoh my son?”

Should Kyungsoo confess? If she doesn’t then there will be another lie to put on her list and it has only been going long and long. Will she be able to look her son into his eyes when it is finally time for him to know the truth? Will her friends would still want to have her back after they knew that Kyungsoo has just kept on lying under their noses?

If she does tell Jongin that Taeoh is his, she’s certain that he will want custody over the fact that she knows how Taeoh longs for a father figure for the longest time. And it is unfair to both Jongin and Taeoh to not meet and even if she has that control in her hands, Kyungsoo is not heartless. She only wants what is best for her son and she has seen too many evidences that most kids with broken families end up doing no good. She doesn’t want Taeoh to end up like that.

She took a deep breath and stepped aside. It took Jongin several seconds to understand the gesture and when he did, he didn’t hesitate to step inside the apartment.

This is not the apartment that he has been into. He knew of this when he followed their car last night because of the gnawing and knowing feeling that settled in his gut the moment that he saw Taeoh playing with a little girl yesterday. He just had to approach the boy and his heart leaped out of his chest when the boy turned to him and smiled. He saw his younger self on him, only with fairer skin.

And then she had appeared. He mentally berated himself for not remembering the name of the person who has graciously helped him sneak into the boutique where she works to hide him from the fans that has been tailing him that day. She has also helped him get new clothes (that he paid for) from the racks in the boutique and offered to drive him some place safe first before he calls for someone to pick him up.

He agreed wholeheartedly because even though she has told him that she is a fan, she treated him like he was a friend visiting. He didn’t feel the pressure of being Kai I front of her and he got comfortable. A little too comfortable that ended up in a heated passionate dance on her bed. Contrary to popular belief, Jongin doesn’t sleep around, like most people easily assumed if they only knew Kai. Though he was far from when he met this girl with large eyes that isn’t hard to miss, he has only slept with people who he felt something to.

He had her with her levelheadedness and reason, though she has that big poster of his inside her room (he just can’t not see that, really), she didn’t come at her like how his fans usually did. She offered to help him and treated him like an ordinary human being and not some god-sent person to be followed everywhere. And well, she really is pretty, especially if she removes her hair from hair ties and let it fall over her shoulders.

Even though it was just one time, it was basis enough for his question and Taeoh looks like he was born around that time, six or seven years ago? He was just twenty-three then and has been in the industry for two years only so he still has a lot to learn and he knows better than to disobey orders and that is why, the last that he had seen the kind girl with heart-shaped lips was the night they slept with each other. Though it is a pity since he felt like she’s not the one night stand kind of girl.

But now as he sat on her kitchen counter, gone was the welcoming warmth that he remembers, only cold indifference which the reason he likes to believe is that Taeoh is indeed his son. He watched her take out a plate of corned beef and two pieces of hotdog and she put them down on the table. Feeling the need to be useful, he grabbed the pitcher of water and glasses as Kyungsoo set the table for three, which usually is only for two.

She went back to the kitchen and got two mugs as well as the hot chocolate that she has prepared. Maybe she has unconsciously prepared more than usual because she sensed that this will happen… Kyungsoo shook her head as she pointed Jongin on the chair across her. She took her own seat and began to pour the chocolate into the mugs, trying to be calm under Jongin’s gaze.

“Okay. You’re right, Taeoh is your son,” she dropped the bomb and she doesn’t know what to feel when the star doesn’t even looked surprised or mad or anything bad because he is smiling widely as he took a sip of his chocolate, forgetting it was still hot from the happiness that burst inside his chest upon the confirmation of his speculations. He spilled chocolate on himself and groaned mentally because his button-down blue shirt has a big chocolate stain in front.

“This big baby,” Kyungsoo grumbled as she stood to take the paper towels on the counter that she almost dropped when she saw Jongin removing his shirt. “What the hell are you doing?!”

Jongin frowned. “You might wake Taeoh up and no cursing!”

Kyungsoo rolled her eyes. “Please put your clothes back on, Mr. Kim.”

This time, he pouted and she had to mentally kick herself because he looks just like Taeoh when he does that and she almost cooed like she does with her son. “I’ve got chocolate all over me,” he shrugged and draped his shirt on the back of his chair. Kyungsoo sighed in defeat because she doesn’t want to dwell in any more banter with Jongin. She might start noticing things that she shouldn’t and wouldn’t be helpful in any way so she put the paper towels in front of her surprise guest and trudged to the bedroom to look for a shirt that might fit Mr. Celebrity out there.

“M-mommy?” Taeoh sleepily called and Kyungsoo forgot about the damn shirt and hurried towards her sleepy prince. She smiled and kissed his forehead.

“Yes, baby?”

“Good morning, mom,” he said after a large yawn making his mom smile because he looks so adorable with his Pororo onesie that she has bought for him some time back.

“Good morning too, my Pororo prince. Are you ready for breakfast?” she peppered his face with pecks first until he is squirming and giggling.

“Mom! It tickles!”

“Okay, baby boy. Now get up and brush your teeth and then we’ll eat, okay?” when Taeoh hopped off the bed, she then remembered about the shirt and she rummaged through her closet and found one that was years old. She wore it first when she was pregnant but still wears it from time to time when it is too hot for a pajama bottom. She waited until her son came out of the bathroom and lifted him up, grunting a little because he had put on some weight.

“Baby, we have a visitor today,” she started, still unsure on how she will introduce Jongin to Taeoh.

“Is it Yebin, mom?” Taeoh asked hopefully but Kyungsoo shook her head.

“It’s…. Uncle Jongin?” she revealed and she saw how his face lit up before he got out of her hold and practically ran outside of the bedroom. She sighed when she heard a thud because she knew that Taeoh probably tripped on his own pajama. She didn’t hurry because she wants to see how Jongin will handle his son.

“Does it hurt?” she heard him ask. She has a good view of the kitchen and Jongin is lifting Taeoh by his armpits and settled him on his lap. The little boy shook his head and smiled.

“I am so happy you’re here, Uncle Jongin! Are you eating breakfast with us? Mom cooks really well!” Taeoh smiled smugly and Jongin can’t help but ruffle his hair. But Jongin was left confused when he saw his son looking at him with confusion. His brows furrowed and his forehead creased. “Uhm, Uncle Jongin? Why are you ?”

Kyungsoo snapped out of her trance and threw the shirt on Jongin’s face, thankfully she didn’t hit her son with that. Jongin blinked and when he saw that it was a shirt, he settled down Taeoh on the seat beside him and he put on the white shirt that smelled florally sweet.

“He spilled something on his shirt, sweetie,” Kyungsoo answered for her visitor. “Let’s eat?”

 


When she has told her friends the truth, Baekhyun was not really surprised because she has guessed as much while the other three, especially Luhan, was very much shocked. She has the notion that Taeoh looked a lot like the superstar Kai because Kyungsoo has been obsessed with him and it might’ve done something to influence the formation of her almost-nephew. Of course, Kyungsoo has rolled her eyes at that because it is true that her obsession with Kai led to Taeoh but for a different… method.

“So when are you planning on telling Tae?” Baekhyun asked as they looked over where her daughter and the little boy were playing with Taeoh’s Pororo plushies. Kyungsoo sighed, at least they have moved on from the topic of her driving Jongin home before they got there.

“It’s not that easy…”

“But please promise me that you will do it, Soo,” Baekhyun cut her. “Taeoh is a bright kid but he’s sensitive and shy, just like you and just think if you are in his shoes. You wouldn’t want something this big kept from you, right?”

“I know, Baek, I know!” Kyungsoo smacked her hands on the counter and thankfully, the sound wasn’t so loud or they could’ve risked getting Taeoh’s attention. “I’ve known that all these years, my son is looking for a father, even though he’s not saying it out loud. I can see how he looks at you and Chanyeol when you are with Yebin and how he also looks at Luhan and Sehun when they are together. It’s just that I already lied to him, saying that Kai is not his father and he will know eventually that Jongin and Kai is just the same person.

“Just... I know what I’m doing and I know you guys are just concerned but Taeoh will know and I will be the one he knows it from.”

“Okay,” Luhan got off her seat to put an arm on Kyungsoo’s shoulders. She’s feeling all emotional about this too but she knows better than egg Baekhyun and her pregnancy-induced hormones. It will just make the other feel worse. “But what about you and Kai?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean,” Luhan cleared and Sehun moved closer to her and placed a hand on the small of her back. “What is the arrangement between you two?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes narrowed and hardened. “He’s going to be here for Taeoh, that’s it.”

“What about the… press then?” Luhan asked worriedly. She has also watched the news when Baekhyun had told her about it and she was shocked because it has been relatively peaceful in the restaurant yesterday but still, there have been vivid shots of Jongin and a kid that has an uncanny resemblance to him.

“He said he will take care of it and if he doesn’t make good on that, he will never see his son again,” Kyungsoo replied, remembering the grim face of Jongin as he nodded in agreement to her kind of harsh condition. She knew that it’s not like the other could help it. He has been under the constant watch of paparazzi for years and they have already given up on trying to get then to leave him alone.

But she doesn’t want to put her son on the spotlight like that. As Baekhyun had pointed out, her son is more on the silent and shy type, traits that he has taken after her, and exposing Taeoh to so much attention will upset him, at the very least. All she wants is for her little prince to grow up well and peacefully. That is also the reason why she didn’t do anything to let Jongin know that he already has a son.

Luhan had let it rest and they decided to leave because during her and Kyungsoo’s discussion, Baekhyun had fallen asleep against her husband so Chanyeol had to carry his wife (with the help of Sehun) to their car. Yebin was pouty when she has followed her parents and uncle Sehun and aunt Luhan outside. But Taeoh reminded her that they could still play some other time and the little girl smiled at that, her mood lifting up and Chanyeol let out a relieved sigh for being saved from dealing with a sleeping pregnant wife and a grumpy kiddo.

Taeoh and Kyungsoo saw they out and the boy was waving as the two cars sped off their driveway, yelling that they should come back soon. He kept on waving until the cars were out of sight and when he looked back on his mom, he has that smile where his eyes are narrowed to crescents and he looks just like his father.

“Mom, can we go to the mall?”

Confused, his mother squatted so that they could see eye to eye and patted his capped head. “Why does my baby want to go to the mall? Haven’e had enough fun with Yebin?”

“Nope! I had tons of fun playing with Yebin-ah but I want to buy a present for Uncle Jongin,” Kyungsoo was about to ask why but her son continued. “He said that I am the best birthday gift ever and I asked him if it is his birthday today and he said yes. I still want to buy him something, mom. Can we?”

How could Kyungsoo have forgotten that their birthdays are right after the other?

 


It easily became a routine that Jongin will message Kyungsoo if Taeoh is free for the day and if he is, they will agree to meet at one place where Jongin will be waiting and Taeoh will come to him, given that he tells the boy what he is wearing as a disguise. Though he goes through a lot of hassle for thinking of a new get up each time, everything falls perfect as soon as he sees his son’s smile. He has also upped his security who will be on the lookout when someone gets too close at them.

Kyungsoo appreciates this and she lets Jongin know this.

“You don’t have to thank me, I’m doing this for Taeoh,” he would always reply because even after months, Jongin still doesn’t know the name of his son’s mother. He doesn’t want to ask his son because it will definitely make him look stupid and he didn’t want to ask someone to do a research on that because the more people who knows about her, the larger the risk for her and also for their son.

And so he waits for that golden moment to know her name by himself. It is a wonder that he was not being asked about it but he was thankful because he can’t possibly face her after telling her the truth that he already has forgotten her name since it has been years.

It happened in a not so ideal setting wherein he was planning on fetching Taeoh from his school and then they could go play somewhere. He already has called Kyungsoo but was a little late since she was already on her way to get their son as they made plans on visiting her friend who has just given birth. But since Jongin is already parked in one of the spaces, he just requested for a few minutes to see his son and then he will leave them be for now.

He has already spotted Taeoh from afar, since he has grown used to seeing him with his Pororo backpack. He smiled involuntarily seeing that his son is also doing the same, probably looking forward to see Yebin again. Jongin snickered at how cute the little boy looks like whenever he talks about the younger girl who has just started learning in a day care where he and his mom will head so they could pick up Yebin and bring her to the hospital visit her mom.

He is almost bouncing on his seat waiting for her to come and tell his little boy that he is waiting there in the car but he almost bolted out the moment that some lady in trench coat and a black hat approached Taeoh who looked like he wanted to cry. But he didn’t because he might just attract more unwanted attention but he has to save his son somehow. He has opened the door of his car when he saw her running towards Taeoh with an alarmed expression. Relieved, he made a turn to get back inside his car and wait in peace when he heard her say a name.

“Mirah?”

Jongin’s head snapped up and it was just then that he recognized the woman in trench coat. Something bitter tasted in his mouth and a scowl formed on his face.

“Why are you scaring my son?”

The other lady raised her hands in defense because Kyungsoo looks like a second away from chopping her to pieces. “I just want to know my boyfriend’s son, that’s all!” she explained in a frantic tone, her sunglasses sliding off her nose a little. “I mean no harm, little penguin,” she added looking at Taeoh who has glued himself to his mother’s side.

“Kyungsoo! What is going on?” Luhan tried her best to get there as fast as her five-month baby bump would allow her.

Jongin, from his spot, has his smile back for a second because, there, he has heard her name finally. Kyungsoo.

It faded the next because his estranged girlfriend (apparently, they are still a couple for Mirah mentioned that he is her boyfriend) has suddenly shown interest in his son even after telling how big of a jerk he is for spending much more time in training his artists than spending time with her. Call Jongin cruel but he was just looking for an excuse to get himself out of that relationship. It has been three years, yes, but Mirah and him kind of just stuck together for convenience rather than considering feelings. That only lasted for about a year and then next two were just trying to stomach each other because it will be such a pain in the to deal with the press who sure is going to throw questions at them as if they have a say in their lives.

To be honest, that is just his perspective and he knows that Mirah is still hung up on him for some reason that she wouldn’t just do the break up herself even if she is already might pissed at Jongin. She may still be harboring feelings for Jongin but it is not mutual. He has tried to tell her that but she will not accept anything and nag him for being cold and negligent. But she is a spoiled brat who doesn’t stop at anything just to get what she wants

“Who is your boyfriend, miss? He’s my father?” Taeoh’s voice rang like they are in an enclosed space and Jongin saw how Kyungsoo paled at that question. She hasn’t told Taeoh about him yet and he respects that because she has graciously shared their son to him when she has every right to push him away. He took out his phone and immediately dialed Mirah’s number.

He slumped on his car seat when he saw her taking something from her coat and it is her phone.

“Mirah.”

“Kai,” she doesn’t even call him by his real name. Jongin scoffed.

“Leave the kid alone. This is none of your business.”

“But this is my business too if we are getting married.”

Jongin could feel an incoming headache and he doesn’t like having an argument over the phone. It will just cause more misunderstandings than talking face to face.

“Just leave my son alone and we’ll talk,” he hung up and looked towards them to see Kyungsoo looking right through him which is kind of impossible since his car is tinted but still… And the way she looked didn’t set well in his gut. He prayed that his visitation rights will not get affected by something this stupid.

 


If Jongin has been receiving an indifferent treatment from Kyungsoo before, now he gets nothing of the sort. Kyungsoo is almost seeing right through him if not for reminding him to get Taeoh back in one piece or he will regret it. He was actually thinking of breaching past the status of being just the guy who she had slept with once and had a baby after that. He wanted to be at least friends with her because she is the mother of his son and it just makes everything easier but that was screwed up even before he got any progress.

“Uncle Jongin, did you fight with mom?” asked the kid who is sitting beside him as they ate ice cream. Jongin shrunk more on his seat and was glad that they were able to get a booth that is secluded since if people will see him there, they will easily recognize him because he has been endorsing the establishment for quite some time already.

“Not really, bud. Why do you ask?”

Taeoh twiddled with his thumbs as he lowered his head. “Because I asked her to come with us today but she refused and said that she doesn’t want to. Before, she will smile at me and say that she wants me to enjoy my time with you.” He looked up and Jongin knew were that frown came from and it’s not from him. “Did you… hurt my mom?”

Did I? Jongin asked himself. “I’m not sure, bud. I’ll talk to her, I promise.”

Satisfied, Taeoh nodded once and dove back into his ice cream after saying, “I want you to be my daddy so be good to mom, okay?”

 


Kyungsoo knows what her son is doing. She knows him from head to toe and she doesn’t know what to feel and what to make of Taeoh’s little subtle actions.

He will ask her to set-up a video call with Jongin whenever the latter is too busy to meet up with him. It doesn’t usually last for more than five minutes since all the two boys do is smile and tell each other how much they are missing each other and make tentative plans on when they will meet again. It’s not a problem for Kyungsoo and she could well leave her son with her phone because he’s mindful of things but then Taeoh would insist that she sits with him or carry him on her lap just to get her in the frame of the call too.

Jongin would try to include her with their conversation but all she supplies are curt and short answers. She can feel Taeoh’s eyes on her even if she doesn’t look on the mini box where they could see themselves at the bottom of the screen. But the boy will not say anything and end the call, telling Jongin to take care and his father will smile softly and return the sentiment. It was sweet and touching and Kyungsoo could never wish for more than to see more of the way Taeoh’s smiles whenever he talks to Jongin.

And whenever they could find time to see each other, which are mostly on weekends now, Taeoh will always try to loop her in their trips, whether it may be just on their usual ice cream parlor or a few hours drive to Jongin’s vacation house. And she will just always find an excuse just to get out of it.

Taeoh is consciously matchmaking his parents and Kyungsoo resists it much for the reason that Mirah is still in the star’s life and because she knows that Jongin hangs around is because of their son. She doesn’t want to be known as some relationship wrecker just because she is the mother of Jongin’s child. Good thing too that Jongin made good on his promise and not a word about him having a son has gone out in the public.

Also, she happened to eavesdrop at one of Taeoh and Jongin’s ‘manly’ conversations.

“You are being so slow, Uncle Nini! Go get my mom already!” Taeoh whined in a hush and Kyungsoo tried hard to stifle her laughter. They didn’t know that she is just standing right behind them carrying their snacks.

“Your mom’s… a tough wall to break, buddy,” Jongin replied in a sigh leaving Kyungsoo’s heart to race as a tiny bit of hope flourished inside her.

“Maybe because you still have that other lady with you!” Taeoh is a smart kid and his mom is proud of that but in such times like this, she wishes that he thinks his age. “Is she your girlfriend, Uncle?”

It was Jongin’s turn to whine. “I don’t want to be anymore, believe me, Tae.”

“So you like mom more than her?”

“What do you think, my cute little penguin prince?”

Taeoh was giggling uncontrollably as he sputtered a ‘yes! Of course!’ in between his giggling.

Feeling like she has heard enough and maybe because her cheeks are flaring like a high school girl whose crush admitted to liking her, Kyungsoo made her way back to the kitchen, trying so hard to forget what she has heard and calm her heart down because she is starting to think that maybe Jongin is not just there for their son.

 


“Baby, can mommy ask you a question?”

Taeoh, who is having his cookie snack simply nodded because he knows better than to talk with his mouth full.

“D-do you still want to know who your daddy is?” she asked because she thinks it is already time for him to know the truth. She knows that she has taken quite a long time before she reached this conclusion and she could only hope for the best.

The little boy’s eyes widened and he nodded his head frantically while trying to chew everything is his mouth. He ended up choking and his mom patted his back lightly until he felt relief. With tear lined eyes, he looked up expectantly to his mom.

“But mommy have to say sorry first because I lied to you. I know that lying is bad because I keep saying that you shouldn’t do it but I still did. I’m so sorry, baby,” she pulled her son into her embrace and Taeoh wrapped his arms around her neck as if saying that he will keep listening. Kyungsoo took deep breaths and she could almost feel her son’s anticipation from his heavy breaths and quick heartbeat against hers.

"Do you remember that poster in my room from our old house?”

“So he really is my daddy?” his voice is muffled by Kyungsoo’s shirt since Taeoh buried his face on her shoulder.

“You’re right and I got to tell you something else, Tae.”

“Mom?”

“The name of the person on the poster is Kai but his real name is Kim Jongin.”

Kyungsoo almost lost her hold on Taeoh when the boy jumped from his seat and squished her cheeks together. “Mommy, are you saying that Uncle Nini is my real father? He’s my daddy?”

She nodded. “And I really am sorry for not telling you this earlier. I hope you could understand mom --,”

“This is awesome!” Taeoh fist pumped. “I get to call him daddy already! Where’s your phone, mom? Let us call dad!”

 


“Thank you for coming this time,” Jongin muttered as he walked beside Kyungsoo, following an excited Taeoh as he speed walked through the amusement park.

“It’s not like your son would have let me stay out of this,” she grumbled in reply because butterflies have taken residence in her stomach today. She blames it all on Jongin who is all smiley ever since he picked them up. He didn’t even bother for a disguise and she feels a little awkward from the stares that they are getting from the people who could recognize Kai.

Jongin just chuckled and took her hand to keep up with their little boy. Kyungsoo was blushing furiously because her hands are clammy and Jongin just casually made the gesture, like it is something that he was used to doing or just came naturally. She tried to wiggle her hands away but all she got are fingers entwining with hers and the celebrity looking back at her to check if she is still where he wants her to be.

“Mom, dad! Hurry up! I wanna go to the carousel already!” Taeoh exclaimed as he pointed to his ride of choice.

“Do Taeoh!” Kyungsoo called in panic because her son’s voice isn’t exactly quiet and there sure are people who just heard him call her and Jongin his mom and dad. When she reached him, she sat down to remind him of the rules. “Tae, what did I tell you about calling your dad…”

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin pulled on their hands to get her attention, leaving Taeoh looking confused but he beamed when he saw their hands. “It’s okay. No need to scold the boy.”

She pouted at the accusation. “I am not going to scold him. I was just going to remind him about being public about his relationship with you.”

Jongin sighed and pulled her up as he put his hand on top of Taeoh’s head and nudged him closer to his leg. “You know what? I don’t really care anymore. Let them know.”

“But Jongin…”

“Kyungsoo, please trust me on this. You’ve been hidden from my life for seven years and the both of you are not to be ashamed of. Even if Taeoh came to be through normal circumstances, I don’t regret it. I don’t regret having him and I don’t regret it being with you.”

“Dad, is something wrong with mom? She looks like she wants to cry,” their son was pulling on Jongin’s shirt with a worried expression.

“Kyungsoo, are you okay?” It was Jongin’s turn to look at her worriedly, his thumb rubbing the part of her hand that he could reach but she shook her head even though a tear has already escaped her eyes.

“I’m… I’m okay. Let’s go?” she offered and for what seemed like the first time since she had Taeoh, Kyungsoo was smiling brightly once again.

 


“Kyungsoo,” Jongin took her hand as he called her, a habit that has been going on for quite some time already and even though it makes Kyungsoo feel confused, she doesn’t complain because it feels good to have someone hold your hand. Someone with comfortable warmth and makes you feel secured and special in something that simple. She’s secretly biased though because she doubts if she will still feel the same if someone else will do that to her.

“What is it?”

“I’ve been thinking for a while already and I think that it is time.”

“Time for what?” her blush was unstoppable and embarrassing because she saw it in his expression that he hadn’t missed that. Who could blame her for thinking that this might finally be the day that she will stop getting confused? Who wouldn’t want to have peace of mind and more ease to sleeping at night?

“Time for Taeoh to change his surname. He’s still carrying Do, right?”

Kyungsoo’s hopes were squished and she felt panic, pulling her hand out of Jongin’s hold. “Are you… are you trying to get my son from me?!” horror marring her expression.

Flustered, Jongin instinctively pulled her into a hug, not thinking if that is even appropriate for their situation. “No, no. I won’t do that, Kyungsoo. I’ve never even thought of that!”

“Then why?” she whispered, sagging against the firm chest she was pressed into because of relief.

“I just want to give everything due for my son, our son. It’s the most basic thing that I should do for him as his father; letting him carry my name proudly because I am proud of Taeoh. I’m proud that he is my son and I am his father. Why would you even think that I will take him from you, silly,” he snorted but she felt his arms tighten around her.

“And one more thing,” he added after staying in their position for who knows how long, both of them not finding any reason to part and finds one more reason to stay pressed against each other every time the thought of separating comes up.

“Hmmm?”

“Can we also change your surname to mine?”

“Where did that come from?!” Kyungsoo leaned back to hit Jongin’s chest out of embarrassment that was answered by a loud guffaw but his hold didn’t relent, even half an inch. He touched his forehead with hers, making her redder than she already is.

“Wasn’t that what you were expecting before?” he smirked cheekily, remembering the way she blushed when he mentioned something about the right time.

“Wh-what?! N-No! Wh—how could you have known that?” Kyungsoo wanted to get eaten by the ground or just melt from the way that Jongin is looking at her.

“Well, don’t you want to? Because to be honest, I’ve been waiting for a while for this.”

Kyungsoo has hit him again, but this time on his back because they are still very much close to each other. “Y-you..! Don’t you think that’s too fast? I mean, we’re not even in a relationship..?”

“We could easily just skip that part, don’t you think? I mean we have Taeoh..?” Jongin copied her tone just to irk her some more because Kyungsoo looks so cute when she’s blushing and flustered.

“Jongin, I’m serious,” she deadpanned.”

“I am serious too, Kyungsoo,” Jongin shot back, Kyungsoo’s further argument dissolving even before it gets to . “Sorry if I never really asked you out formally but I know that you know that it’s not only our little prince who had taken up space inside my heart. You two came as a package deal and that it’s just perfect. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“I… I don’t know what to say,” she admitted sheepishly.

A hand cupped her face tenderly and she can’t help but lean on it more. “I understand,” Jongin smiled and as much as she tries to deny it to herself, that smile just made her fall for him even more. “You don’t have to give me an answer right now but I will really appreciate it if you say yes and as soon as possible.”

Time seemed to have slowed down for Kyungsoo as she has seen clearly how Jongin leaned closer, the distance between their faces disappearing. She has felt every puff of warm breath that she has felt getting warmer as their noses moved until they lightly bumped against each other. And she could swear she had seen fireworks and felt a jolt of electricity run through her as she felt those plump lips on hers again after seven years. It wasn’t the first kiss that they have shared but it felt like the kiss that opened up for the next ones in the future.

“She’ll say yes tonight, dad! I’ll make sure of it, promise!” Taeoh jumped to tackle both of his parents and if his dad wasn’t able to catch them, they would’ve tumbled to the ground in a heap of limbs. Jongin adjusted their son so he’s settled in between them and Kyungsoo pinched the little boy’s nose.

“What did you just say, young man?”

“Ow! Nothing, mom! I said I love you and dad. So, so much! As big as the whooole world!” Taeoh made a big circle with his hands to show how much he loves his parents.

“Thought so,” Kyungsoo said smugly.

“But I also want to be a Kim with you, mom. Let’s do it together!”

“That’s my boy!” Jongin exclaimed and fist bumped with his son, delighted that he is on his side.

Kyungsoo was rubbing her temples exasperatedly. “I can only imagine how many more headaches I will get from the both of you.”

“Did you hear that, bud? I think your mom just said yes to me.”

“Kim Jongin!”

Taeoh snickered. “Then I could have a younger sister or brother now, dad?”

“Kim Taeoh!” and she made a slip that made both the most important men in her life grin triumphantly at her. But her protest was not heard.

“I would love that, bud, but it’s up to your mom,” then he turned to Kyungsoo and asked, “What do you say, Soo? We wouldn’t want Taeoh to be lonely right?”

With a shriek, Kyungsoo walked off with a pout. “Stop ganging up on me!”

“I love you, mom!” Taeoh called after her and it made her smile, just a little.

“Me too! I love you, mom!”

A loud thud followed and a hiss was heard that made the boys check up on her and they saw her grimacing and holding on her knee that she bumped on the side table when she heard what Jongin had said.

They stopped beside her and Jongin let Taeoh down. “What happened? Are you okay?”

“Uhm, me too!” was all she yelled before sprinting towards the bedroom and locking the door behind her.

“She loves us,” Taeoh said as he took his dad’s hand.

“She does, bud,” he replied flatly but not denying the wide grin plastered on his face as he let Taeoh pull him towards the living room to watch one of the Pororo DVDs that he gave him. “I mean it, mom. I love you!”

Answered by a muffled voice coming from the bedroom. “Shut up, dad! I heard you the first time!”

“I love you, really!”

“Daaad~ cut it out! I’m watching!”

Jongin was faced with a pouty Taeoh. He ruffled his hair playfully. “Sorry, bud. I love your mom and she needs to know that so she could say yes to dad and we could be a big happy family.”

The boy looked like he was in deep thought before getting the remote and pausing his show. He ran towards the bedroom and the next thing Jongin heard are knocks on a door.

“Mom! Dad says she loves you so say yes so I can have brothers and sisters! Please, mom. Please, please, please? Please with a cherry on top?”

“Jongin, control your son!”

“Come on, mom! Yes, yes~ Just say yes!”

The door opened slowly and Kyungsoo kneeled in front of her son who made grabby hands at her. Obliging, she lifted him up and poked him on the cheeks as he squished her face with his hands, a habit that he does when he wants something from his mom.

“Are you going to say yes now, mom?”

Sighing, Kyungsoo shifted Taeoh so that he is sitting on her crossed arms on her belly. “You really want mom to say yes badly?”

“Yes, mommy. I really, really, really want us to be like Uncle Chanyeol, Aunt Baekhyun and Yebin and Uncle Sehun, Aunt Luhan and baby Xia. And dad loves us. He will take care of us mom. It is time to rest. You have been doing everything for me and I want you to be happy and dad makes you happy,” he released her and placed a kiss on both of her cheeks. “I love you, mom. Dad loves you, too. Say yes?”

Overwhelmed with her emotions, Kyungsoo cried tears of happiness with a smile on her face. “Okay, baby. Mommy will say yes. For you and dad. Yes.”

Another kiss landed on her cheek but this time, courtesy of Jongin who had been watching them. “Good job, penguin prince. King and queen penguin will live happily ever after with you.”

Taeoh opened his arms wide and group hugged his parents, kissing their cheek that is near him. “To the penguin kingdom!”

 


A/N:

Waaaa~

Word barf!~ Sorry and if you reached this, I hope I made sense after you have read this? :)

Comments and Upvotes will be very much appreciated! Don't be shy. Come on! :D

Thank you very much for reading!

 

Byieee!~