1/1

Don't like the Heat

2939


Everything is quiet in the dorm, which is a rather rare occurrence considering Jae always has something new to talk about and Sungjin dislikes silence, but Younghyun greets it with open arms because something this rare should be treasured. He walks out of his shared room with Jae, going down the hall only to momentarily stop at the two yougests shared room. Peering inside he sees Wonpil on his bed, headphones plugged in as he gives stares intensely at his laptop screen. Younghyun smiles, moving on into the living room. Dowoon's perched on the edge of the sofa, eyes staring blankly at the TV ahead as his hands tap out an imaginary rhythm.

 

Younghyun leans against the wall, arms crossed, as he stares endearingly at the site. Dowoon very much acts like the maknae, all soft edges and shy smiles, unlike Yugyeom. He recalls all of them saying it was part of his charm and Younghyun knows that none of them were lying when they said that. Dowoon was his favourite and it was almost glaringly obvious, but usually in groups you shouldn't play favourites. Dowoon is all of their favourites though, so it makes it a little better. Not by much, but it's enough for Younghyun not to feel all too guilty.

 

Pushing himself off of the wall, he approaches the dazed drummer with slow steps, shooting the red-head a smile when Dowoon finally realizes he's not alone.

 

“What are we watching,” he inquires, indulging himself in the maknae and choosing to sit right next to him, legs splayed out as he rests an arm over the drummer's shoulder. Skinship isn't really a common thing, even fanservice is sometimes a pain in the , but if it's with Dowoon—Younghyun doesn't finish the thought on the principle that it's way too cheesy.

 

Dowoon tilts his head and furrows his brows, “I'm not really sure,” he admits with a small blush that makes him look younger than he already is.

 

Younghyun just hums, leaning against the couch and Dowoon follows suit, bringing his legs up to his chest. his lips, Younghyun decides to be a little bold and brings Dowoon closer to him. The younger complies, not that he would considering his very obedient personality, and rests his head against the bassists shoulder.

 

Whatever they're watching isn't really that entertaining, and Dowoon must think the same thing as he starts tapping out a rhythm again. Younghyun's about to reach over to the table to change the channel but at that moment the door swings open, causing Dowoon to flinch and press himself even closer to his hyung, as a very rowdy Jae and Sungjin enter the dorm. Oh, so the two were out. That would explain why it was so quiet.

 

Jae whistles when he spots the duo, “Well, don't you two look all cozy,” he comments with a greasy smirk. Sungjin, thankfully, cuffs the brunette at the back of his head as he shuts the door.

 

Dowoon scrambles to sit up properly, beaming bright eyes at their leader and if Jae notices the way Younghyun bristles he doesn't say anything.

 

“You're back, where did you go?”

 

Sungjin just grins, going over to ruffle the drummer's hair, “Just walked around. Jae was complaining on how he was getting fat-”

 

“Fluffy, not fat,” the eldest complains as he jumps onto the couch, enveloping Dowoon in his giant stature.

 

A spike of jealousy coming up, Younghyun gets up with the excuse of being thirsty, but he doesn't leave without Jae shouting behind him, “Stop being so obvious!” Causing Sunjin to guffaw at the blonde's reddening face.

 

 

 

Out of everyone in the group, Younghyun decides, Jae is frequently his least favourite. They're best-friends, and teasing just came with the tittle, but Jae always made every interaction between him and Dowoon awkward. He would constantly compare them to a couple, once commenting that if he had to choose between him and Dowoon he'd save the maknae. Of course Younghyun couldn't just be embarrassed like that so he played along saying that Jae wasn't nearly as cute.

 

It's just that Dowoon is the maknae so of course he'll be more protective of him! It just makes sense.

 

“That's ridiculous, hyung,” Wonpil states bluntly. Junhyeok chokes on his tea very unattractively while Sungjin pats his back with a weary smile.

 

“What do you mean? I acted the same way to you,” Younghyun argues.

 

“No, not like that. I mean, you call Dowoon our lucky star and always say how handsome he is—even on your Instagram updates,” Wonpil finishes, throwing his hands in the air, and Younghyun is happy for once that Dowoon is with Jae instead of with him.

 

“I concur.”
 

Looks like he spoke to soon. Younghyun spins around, pinning Jae with a glare as he tries to, and fails miserably, ignore Dowoon's confused face.

 

“What are you guys talking about,” the maknae questions.

 

Jae giggles, pinching the red-head's cheek, “Oh Dowooner, you're so oblivious.”

 

Dowoon squeaks indignantly and Younghyun is about .5 seconds away from punching Jae in the stupid face.

 

 

 

After their successful Taiwanese showcase everyone is in a state of shock and awe. Of course all of them will deny having cried, but everyone keeps an eye on Dowoon because it was unusual that the highly emotional drummer hadn't even shed a tear during the whole ordeal. They make it as far as to the hotel and still Dowoon doesn't make a peep. He gives everyone a subdued smile, claiming that he's just tired from all the excitement.

 

Dowoon's a horrible liar but no one fights him.

 

“He's probably crying right now,” Jae comments as he plops himself down on the hotel bed, immediately bringing out his phone and taking selfies. Younghyun just sighs, setting his own bag down as he climbs on the bed. Honestly, he wanted to room with Dowoon at first, but Junhyeok was already over the maknae and Younghyun thinks it's for the best. He doesn't want to add more material to Jae's teasing.

 

“I won't say anything if you want to go over there.”

 

Okay, maybe sometimes Jae was his favourite too. Exiting the room, Younghyun's just about to knock on Junhyueok's door but the vocalist is already opening it, thankfully stopping in time before he can run into the taller male.

 

“Brian, what are you-” Junhyueok stops himself mid-sentence, eyes shining as a sly smile stretches across his lips, “oh, I know why you're here, Dowoonie, right?”

 

“Y-yeah...”

 

Junhyeok laughs, “He stopped crying a while ago and he's finally calmed down, listening to drumming videos. You can keep him company while I go eat.”

 

“But hyung, there's room service why-”

 

“Listen, I love all of you, especially Dowoon,” Younghyun tries not to huff, “but I've seen enough of everyone's faces for today,” the pianist finishes with a tired laugh. Going inside, Younghyun closes the door and walks over to Junhyeok's empty bed.

 

Dowoon takes out one earbud (Younghyun wants to reprimend the maknae for listening to the music so loud) and looks up. Even with the awful lighting Younghyun can make out the redness of the boy's eyes.

 

“Were they happy tears?”

 

Dowoon chuckles, “Of course hyung, I just- I'm just really happy that I got to debut with all of you, e-especially you,” he finishes with a blush giving the red in his hair a run for its money. Younghyun lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding in.

 

Younghyun isn't exactly impulsive, but he has the sudden urge to just be as close as possible to Dowoon and decides that, in this instance, he'll listen to his gut. He moves over to Dowoon's bed, sliding in as the maknae gives him a curious gaze but doesn't say anything. Younghyun reaches over for the remote, turning the TV on and immediately flicking through the channels to see if anything good was on. It really didn't matter since he won't be able to understand anything anyways, but it makes an excellent distraction from Dowon's inquisitive gaze.

 

“Why did you move to my bed,” the maknae asks with a slight laugh, eyes crinkling as he tries to accommodate the blonde better without falling off of the bed in the process. It's really not meant for two people, especially someone as big as Younghyun.

 

“It's cozier,” Younghyun states, finally settling on some game show, “you can just keep watching drumming videos.”

 

Dowoon squints at the TV, turning his phone off as he rests his head against the headboard, “It's okay, but I get to pick the next show,” he says with a grin. Younghyun, not turning his attention from the show, smiles. His hand wanders until it reaches Dowoon's smaller one, the maknae tenses under the touch but quickly relaxes; Younghyun doesn't chance looking at Dowoon's face but he doesn't have to to know that the maknae is blushing just as badly as him.

 

 

 

“You guys are too cute, it's kind of gross,” Jae comments suddenly as he claps the light back on. Younghyun muffles a curse into his pillow, regretting his decision that it was okay to instal one of the stupid clap on lights.

 

“Hyung,” he groans out, rubbing his eyes, “it's,” he squints at the clock, “two in the morning, why are you still awake?”

 

Jae laughs, “I'm a night chicken, seriously though, you love Dowoon so much it's almost sickening.”

 

Love?

 

Younghyun sits up with a small groan, good thing they decided not to debut him as part of an idol group because he did not have the stamina to do the dances Got7 does. “Of course I love him, he's the maknae.”

 

Jae rolls his eyes in that obnoxious way where his shoulders slump coupled with a sigh, “That's BS and you know it,” he says in English. It's a miracle how Younghyun can even comprehend the English words with how tired he is but he sort of wishes he hasn't because now he feels compelled to argue.

 

“What do you mean,” he counters in Korean, “it's too early for this Jae.”

 

“I mean,” he whispers heatedly, rocking steadily on his , “that you like him like him. Like you want to be the only hyung for him.”

 

“You're being stupid.”

 

Jae stops rocking, eyes turning into small slivers as he gives the bassist a long, hard look, “Brian, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

 

“What heat? We're not even in the kitchen!”

 

“Children,” Sunjin suddenly shouts with an eerily happy grin as he swings the door open, “we have a packed schedule tomorrow. If you do not go to sleep right now I'm going to smother the both of you,” he finishes much too sweetly for either of the guys liking. “Now,” Sungjin says clapping the light off, “good night.”

 

Staring at the door in silence, Younghyun sighs and lays back down.

 

“You lo-ve him~”

 

“Hyuuuung.”

 

It's going to be a long night.

 

 

 

Younghyun bangs his head against the practice room wall in agony, not because it hurt, but because Jae was right, has been right, this entire time. All skinship and doting on the maknae was because he was pretty much head-over-heels for the younger boy. Younghyun isn't sure when these new feelings started or maybe the tiny little seed has just always been there and he's never noticed it before until Jae—annoyingly so—kept pointing it now.

 

He hits his head against the wall again. He's so royally screwed. How is he even going to tell this to the rest of the members? Judging by the way the act though, they probably already know. Funny, they knew how Younghyun felt for the maknae even before he did. What was this, some stupid drama?

 

“Why did this happen to me,” he asks the empty room, rubbing his head against the wall one final time before turning and colliding his back against the cool surface.

 

“Why did what happen?”

 

Younghyun snaps his head up, maybe a little too fast as the back of his skull hits the wall with a little too much force, to see a curious looking Dowoon standing near the entrance of the practice room. Younghyun swallows thickly, rubbing the back of his head as he thinks of what to tell Dowoon because he sure as hell wasn't telling the maknae that his problem was that he was in love with him. He could have gone his whole life without acknowledging his feelings but, like always, thanks to Jae he can't.

 

“N-nothing,” Yeah Younghyun way to go, that sounds way convincing, “I'm just thinking about...stuff.” God that was so lame. It takes Younghyun all his power to not wince. Dowoon seems about as convinced as a dog watching it's owner pretend to throw a ball.

 

Younghyun watches with cautious eyes as Dowoon takes a step closer, cutting the space between them into half and it would just take Younghyun five steps to reach the short drummer. He gulps. “Hyung, you're not lying, right?” Dowoon takes another step and another until he's within arms reach of the bassist. For someone so much shorter and as threatening looking as a bunny, Younghyun feels like a deer caught in headlights.

 

“Actually, I, ah-”

 

The door swings open to reveal Wonpil, “There you guys are! Everyone is about to leave,” the vocalist whines and Younghyun has never been more grateful for s awful timing. Shooting Dowoon a nervous grin, he practically sprints out the door.

 

 

 

“You're making Dowoon sad,” Jae whispers during the radioshow break. Younghyun pulls down his sleeve, giving the maknae a cursory glance, and can't help but bristle as the former maknae and Junhyeok are all over the youngest.

 

Younghyun knows he's in the wrong, he's been avoiding the red-head like the plague, but he can't ruin their friendship—he won't. “He doesn't look too sad,” he mumbles and, as if on cue, the drummer lets out a low chuckle at something Wonpil whispered to him. Jae rolls his eyes, something he's been doing more often, and hits the blonde's head.

 

“You're such a baby, I told you if you couldn't handle it get out of the kitchen.”

 

“We're not in a kitchen!”

 

The radioshow host comes back into the room, Sunjin trailing behind as he looks over the script. “Five minutes everyone,” she yells as she holds up her hand. Younghyun pouts for the whole five minutes while Jae just keeps sighing next to him.

 

 

 

Younghyun can't take not talking to Dowoon. It's only been four days but it feels more like a lifetime and honestly, if he continues this, he might go insane. That is, if the rest of the members don't kill him first for making the maknae upset. The dorms empty except for him and Dowoon, the rest of the members excusing themselves for one thing or another. Younghyun's fairly certain that it was part of some not-so-elaborate plan to force them to talk.

 

And it worked, not that Younghyun would ever tell them that.

 

Walking down the hallway, he stops at Dowoon and Junhyeok's shared room. He knocks lightly, “Dowoonie,” he calls out softly, “can I come in?”


There's a muffled response that sounds similar to a yes so Younghyun takes his chance and pushes the door open. Sliding inside, he watches Dowoon curl more on his bed, hugging a pillow to his chest, as he watches some video on his phone.

 

Sighing, he carefully sits on the edge of the maknae's bed, rubbing his hands together, unsure of how to start the conversation.

 

Thankfully, Dowoon speaks up first. “Hyung, are you mad at me?” Younghyun lets out a gasp. Did Dowoon think he did something wrong? That certainly won't do.

 

“No, I would never- I'm not mad at you. None of this is your fault, it's mine,” he confesses in a flurry, eyes just as wide as Dowoon's. The maknae furrows hims brows, tilting his head ever so slightly that Younghyun just wants to hug him and never let go.

 

“Then what's wrong?”

 

Well, here it goes. “I like you, more than I probably should but I just-” Younghyun isn't able to finish because his arms are suddenly filled with Dowoon. The maknae wraps his arms around the blonde's waist, squeezing tightly as he buries his face in the rappers chest. To say that Younghyun is stunned would be an understatement. Carefully, he returns the hug, threading his fingers through the younger's soft hair.

 

“I like you like that too hyung,” Dowoon admits, refusing to let the blonde go or else he would see the deep blush on his face.

 

“This feels like some cheesy drama,” Younghyun admits after a few minutes of just hugging.

 

Dowoon hums in agreement but neither make a move to let go. Gently laying down, Younghyun stares at the ceiling as he gently runs his fingers against the maknae's spine. “So,” Dowoon starts again, finally lifting his head so his chin is resting against the older male's chest, “does this mean we're a couple?”

 

Smirking, Younghyun shifts Dowoon up and tilts the maknae's head, connecting their lips in a chaste kiss. “Does that answer your question?” Scrunching up his nose, Dowoon lightly hits the blonde's shoulder as he lets out an airy laugh.

 

When the rest of the members come back to the dorm, they complain about how gross the new couple is as Dowoon blushes, fidgeting on Younghyun's lap. The bassist just laughs at the surrealness of it all, hugging the maknae tighter, as Jae gives him a wide grin and a thumbs-up.

 

He regrets that he didn't do this sooner.  


A/N: This turned out way longer than expected but I guess that's okay? Also this is heavily unbeta'd and I'm also so sorry for the wait I just kept making new stories because I'm stupid otl I hope you guys like it though, this is my very first day6 story so I can't say much for how characterization is >.>