Final

A Big Misunderstanding

It was a beautiful sunny morning when Tiffany dropped off her 7-year old son at school. Max had just started first grade and every school day seemed to be exciting for him. Tiffany loved that he took so much interest in school and learning new stuff.

She kissed him on the cheek and wished him a good day, watching as he ran towards inside.

She smiled and drove off.

Max was a smart kid. He loved cars and he loved kitties. In fact, they had a kitty cat named Rufus who was a brown tabby. Tiffany didn’t like cats but when Max found the poor feline in their backyard and insisted on keeping it, she just couldn’t say no to him.

She still hated cleaning the litter box and picking off cat fur out of the clothes and furniture, but Max took good care of him even at his young age. Tiffany had divorced Max’s father not too long ago although in good terms, but it still had an effect on the boy. But he seemed to cope better with the whole situation when the furry thing constantly kept him company.

Max had difficulty to make friends but his homeroom teacher Erika Kim, was the best teacher he could ever ask for. Erika was too korean and helped the boy in any way she possibly could. She made sure he wouldn’t be by himself. Tiffany personally was satisfied to know Max had a such a good teacher. It put her mind at ease when she was working.

‘’Alright kids,’’ Erika spoke in a loud voice to catch the kids’ attention. ‘’Today you will draw your family. Then you can show me your drawing!’’

Erika walked around watching the children draw hastily and smiled to herself. They weren’t the best drawers but it was the content that they poured on the papers that mattered. She brushed her hair away and kneeled next to a girl to look at her paper.

Soon, it was Max’s turn to show his drawing - his mommy, daddy and Rufus. He also drew his uncle, who had a red sports car that Max swooned over every time he saw it.

‘’What did you draw, Max?’’ Erika asked the boy. Max pointed at the woman in his drawing, ‘’mommy,’’ then the man next to her, ‘’daddy.’’

He also showed Rufus and Erika smiled at him.  She then pointed at the other man, whom he had drawn next to what looked like a red car. ‘’Who is this?’’

‘’!’’ Max said. ‘’I really love !’’

Erika felt her soul leave her body as she heard those words from the young boy. She stared at him with wide eyes.

After class, Erika haphazardly took her mobile phone to find Max’s mother’s number and dialed.

‘’Hello?’’ came the answer after a while.

‘’Ah...yes, Tiffany? It’s Erika from school,’’ she tried to remain calm, but that one word still repeated in her head. She just couldn’t believe it. She rubbed her forehead and looked outside.

‘’Is everything okay? Did something happen to Max?’’

‘’No no! Nothing like that,’’ Erika quickly said to avoid a misunderstanding. ‘’I just wondered if you could stop by inside after you come pick Max up.’’

‘’...sure? Are you certain everything is okay?’’

‘’Yes. Don’t worry,’’ she assured. ‘’I just want to talk, that’s all.’’

_____

Tiffany walked inside the school and found Max in the hallway. She hugged him briefly and asked where his teacher was.

‘’Over here,’’ Erika suddenly called out from the classroom. She came by the door and smiled at Tiffany, ‘’Max, could you wait right here? Your mom and I will have a quick chat, okay?’’

Max looked at his mother.

‘’Yes, stay right here. Wait for mommy. Don’t go anywhere.’’

They stepped inside the class and Erika closed the door gently.

‘’So...what’s up?’’

Erika heard the question and braced herself to tell what had happened earlier.

‘’Your son said something today that I...I have a really hard time to digest.’’

Tiffany looked confused. ‘’What do you mean?’’

Erika fidgeted nervously. ‘’Well you see...the kids drew their families today...and Max suddenly blurted out that...uhm well, he said he loves .’’

Tiffany’s eyes nearly bulged out. ‘’E-excuse me?!’’

‘’I know!’’ Erika exclaimed. ‘’I have no idea how could he have say that!’’

Tiffany kept furrowing her brows until she went expressionless. Then she started laughing maniacally.

‘’Ahahahahaaaa!’’ she slapped her thigh. ‘’Oh my god!’’

Erika watched her with wide eyes, thinking had the woman lost her mind or what.

‘’...Oh god...! My brother-in-law’s name is !’’

Tiffany leaned on the desk and took a deep breath. Erika’s mouth fell open.

‘’What?’’

‘’His nickname is . Short from Richard,’’ Tiffany chuckled again, wiping her teary eyes. ‘’I’m so sorry. Everyone in the family calls him and so does Max. I had no idea anything like this would happen...oh my god. This is so epic.’’

Erika stared at the woman trying her best to get herself together after the unexpected laughter.

After apologizing and giggling some more, Tiffany left with the boy and Erika kept looking until they had walked out the doors. She sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

‘’I shoulda known,’’ she muttered to herself in a disgruntled voice.

 


I came up with this while being bored in class...

I hope this made you guys laugh or atleast smile lol. If not, then I apologize for the lame one shot XD

To avoid misunderstandings (pun intended) is an actual name. You can google it and see for yourself lol