Final: An Encounter

Autograph

 

“Yeri?! Where are you?! Aish! That girl! Ya! I know you can hear me! Hey! Can you at least come back here?!” Seohyun shouted as she pushed her way past the crowd.

“I’m sorry unnie but I’ll make it up to you I promise! Love ya!” Yeri called out.

Seohyun was seething in anger and constantly blaming herself for being tricked. She thought her favorite youngest cousin was seriously depressed or so. If only she knew she was being used as a decoy so the latter can attend some boygroup’s concert or fansign event then she herself would lock up the young girl.

“Hey ahjumma, watch it!” A high school girl commented.

“Ahjumma? Who are you calling an ahjumma you brat?!” She asked irritatedly.

“Jiwon-ah, just leave the oldie alone. She can barely keep up with us.” Another girl laughed.

Feeling insulted and angry, Seohyun blocked the path and made sure to establish an intimidating eye contact to each girl.

“You listen to me, little girls. You think those precious “oppas” of yours would notice you? They won’t. They’re all probably dating behind your backs. You have to wake up from this delusion of yours and start focusing on things that matter, like your future that seems bleak. Instead of following around a bunch of pretty boys, why not do your chores or something else productive?

You’re all going to regret this when you grow up. It’s a complete waste of your time and money to invest in a stupid boy band who will probably never even date, let alone, recognize each and every one of you. Give up and go home!”

A girl quite close to Seohyun’s age looked at her with pity.

“Let them be. They’re kids.” The lady said in a nice tone.

“Yeah well, what do you know?! You their president or something?” Seohyun asked rudely. Immediately, she regretted her actions.

“You know if you’re bitter, you don’t have to force the rest of us to feel the same way too. Let’s go girls.” The lady responded.

“Groupies. Stupid groupies. I swear I’ll let samchon and imo ground her for months!” Seohyun muttered under her breath as she angrily kicked an empty can of soda.

“OUCH!” A man groaned.

Immediately, she rushed over to her victim. A guy in a black hoodie wearing a black cap and mask covering his face.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it! I’m so so sorry.” Seohyun apologized repeatedly.

The guy looked at her and for a split second, he was stunned.

“Hello? Mister? Are you okay?” Seohyun waved her hand in front of his face several times.

He lowered his mask so she could get a clear view of who he is, but to his surprise, there wasn’t a glint of recognition in her eyes. It was just pure concern and embarrassment.

“YA! I told you punks to keep an eye on him! Where’d he go?!” He heard the sound of a familiar voice.

“I..uh…we….” The security guards trembled.

“I don’t care! GO FIND HIM! NOW!!! IF YOU DON’T FIND HIM THIS INSTANT YOU’RE ALL FIRED!” His manager screamed.

“Hello? Sir? Ahjussi? Are you okay?” Seohyun asked, still oblivious to the person standing in front of her and the upcoming chaos that was soon to commence.

“THERE HE IS!!!! QUICK!!!” A group of overexcited teenage girls suddenly rushed towards their direction.

Fear and panic-driven, the guy wordlessly took Seohyun’s hand and together, they made a dash towards the nearest exit.

“HEY! Where are you taking me?! HELP! SOMEBODY HELP!!!” Seohyun screamed.

“Sssh. Please! Just this once help me out.” The guy pleaded.

“Those eyes….how can one turn down a guy looking and pleading with you like a lost puppy? What if he’s a ert? A murderer? Or what if he’s your soulmate? Your forever? Forever is a myth, Joohyun! Aish mwolla! I don’t know anymore!!!!” Seohyun’s internal debate continued as she just found herself giving in to his plea and continued to run.

They ran and ran until they were almost out of breath.

“Here. I know this place.” The guy said as he led her to some back door which led to a private park. They lied on the grass as they let the adrenaline rush concede.

“That was quite a run, wasn’t it? Sorry I had to drag you to that mess. I just..uh…I needed…ah..I don’t know. But please don’t get me wrong. I’m not a bad person.” He began.

“Yeah well I’m stuck in this place for an hour or two I guess so it wouldn’t hurt to exercise.” She snapped.

“Hey, if you didn’t kick the soda can that hit my eye, then I wouldn’t have dragged you along with me.” He said defensively.

“Omo, are you okay? I’m really really sorry about that!” Seohyun said as she immediately rolled over to his side to inspect his face.

“It’s going to leave an ugly bruise that’s for sure.” He said.

“I’m really sorry. Wait here, let me get some ice.” She volunteered, but he held her hand and prevented her from going.

“Stay. Please. Don’t leave me.”

Something about the way he said those words pulled at her heartstrings. For the next two minutes, none of them spoke a word.

“My name’s Yonghwa, by the way…” he said nervously, half-hoping she’d recognize him, half-hoping for nothing.

“You can call me Seohyun.” She answered, still clueless about his subtle hint.

“Hyun.” He said playfully.

“No. It’s Seohyun.” She insisted.

“That’s 2 syllables. Too long. If you complain one more time then call me Yong. Fair enough?” He chuckled.

“Fine. Yong it is.” She sighed.

“Look up the sky..” Yonghwa began.

“I’m already looking at it you pabo.” Seohyun wanted to say but decided to keep shut lest she get herself in more trouble.

“…and tell me what you see.”

“I see nothing. Just a huge black void. That’s it. I’m staring into nothingness.” She replied casually.

“See. That’s the thing with people. We can look at the same sky but never see the same things. Where you see nothing but blackness, to me I see the twinkling stars and the beautiful constellations they create.” He said.

“What a romantic.” She scoffed.

“What a pessimist.” He teased.

“I’m not a pessimist. I’m just being a practical, reality-based person.” Seohyun argued.

“Huh. And how is that? Care to elaborate?”

“Like for example, my cousin and her weird over-the-top obsession with that stupid boy group.” Seohyun began to rant.

“Stupid boy group?” Yonghwa asked amusingly.

“Yeah. Those bunch of pretty boys who pretend to play instruments but I’m sure they only do so because either they at dancing or they want to stand out amongst the onslaught of idol groups and look cool. Either way, I gotta give it to their agency. The concept works for them and they’ve got thousands of crazily obsessed teenage fangirls hanging on to their every word.

I hate how they’re all so pretentious and fake. Their images are nothing like the real them. They act all pure and innocent and cute on TV but when the cameras aren’t rolling, they’re back to being bastards. Going through girls like a menu, milking what is left of poor students’ money, etc etc. Passion for music? Puhlease. They’re all in this industry to make money out of looking pretty.” Seohyun said in a huff.

“I wonder, dear Hyun….” Yonghwa said, trying his best not to sound impressed and amused at the same time.

“Wonder what?” Seohyun asked.

“Which idol boy broke your heart.” He replied jokingly.

“Oh, he’s no idol alright. He’s a pathetic loser I never should’ve gotten involved with. That two-timing douche-faced jerk!!!!” Seohyun ranted.

“Ooohhh. Recent breakup? Man, that’s gotta hurt.” Yonghwa said, trying to lighten up the mood of the girl he found fascinating and cute.

“Doesn’t matter when it happened but if you should demand to know, it was four years ago. All of them are stupid, heartless, inconsiderate, selfish, disgusting beings!” Seohyun said angrily, unable to stop her tears. She sat up and turned her back to wipe her tears away.

By this time, Yonghwa knew that it’s no longer apt to about this subject. Instead, he sat up and tentatively held her shoulder, until she collapsed into his arms and cried.

“It’s going to be okay, Hyun.” He comforted her.

“It’s never going to be okay, Yong. I’m never going to be okay. I hate all of them. I should’ve known that forever is just a freaking illusion. A myth. Fiction and not fact. First my dad, then my uncle, then my cousin, and then those three exes who did nothing but shatter me into pieces.” She cried.

"After tonight I'll never see this stranger again so for the first and last time, let me be reckless and pour my heart out." Seohyun thought to herself.

“They’re fools. Every single one of them. They were too stupid to realize that people, most especially a girl so lovely as you, were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. Their narrow-minded brains couldn’t accept that and instead, twisted it up. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used.” He answered.

“You don’t understand…” she said stubbornly.

“Actually I do. I’ve got my fair share of heartbreaks. The last of which was three years ago. I did everything for her, even going against my family, almost giving up my dream just to be with her. I was gone for only a month to settle some things and when I came back, guess what I found? My ex with my stepbrother in my room, and on my bed. Now if that wasn't traumatic enough, I don't know what else is. right?

I’ve moved on since then. I’ve forgiven her and my brother. I’ve forgiven myself. But sometimes when I’m alone…I still feel a little bit of that pain. Perhaps that’s how it goes. I don’t think it ever completely stops hurting, giving somebody the best of you and watching them choose someone else.

I thought I’d feel vindicated if their relationship didn’t work out, but the last time I saw them happily married with a son, I realized that maybe she was never really meant for me. I don’t know. It’s difficult to explain but I guess the point is, if we stayed together, we’d end up horribly miserable sooner or later.” He opened up.

“I..I honestly don’t know what to say, Yong…” Seohyun replied.

“I have a lot to say, Hyun. You just have to ask the right questions.” Yonghwa smiled.

“Uh..I guess we all have to fight through some hellish days in order to earn the best…” Seohyun answered.

He shifted his position as he held her hands and looked at her intently.

“One heartbreak…two eyes crying. Three words never to be said again. Four hands that won’t be held. Five mornings you’ll pass in the halls. Six love notes ripped and torn. Seven days a week you’ll think of the last guy who broke your heart. Eight songs a night you play until you cry yourself to sleep. Nine wishes that would never come true. Ten years before he realizes what he let go of and that’s when he’ll regret missing out on “the one.”” He recited.

She felt touched by the beauty of his words.

“You’re like a poet. Are you by chance a writer?” She .

“Uh, something like that.” He smiled.

“Tch. Whatever.” She rolled her eyes.

“You’re like snow, Hyun…beautiful but cold.” He commented.



“Weren’t you paying attention in school? In science, we were taught that a person can never gain cold; only an absence of heat.” She said.

“And maybe hatred doesn’t exist. Anger, yes. But hatred? Not so much. Perhaps just an absence of love. You know why Hyun? It’s because you’re looking for love in all the wrong places and trying to get it from all sorts of wrong people. These people, once they become aware of your weakness, will do their very best to manipulate and take advantage of it.

You’ve gotta stop setting yourself on fire for people who will sit there and watch you burn. They are those who’d stab you in the back and still have the guts to ask you why you’re bleeding. I loathe these people the most. I’ve been dealing with them for as long as I can remember. So you know what I did? I walked away.

I realised that if they don’t chase you when you walk away, then they don’t deserve you at all. Keep walking. Hold your head up high, move on, and love again.” He replied.

“The first two, I can do, but love? That’s a little bit too risky. I don’t believe in it. I don’t want to hope for something only for it to be taken away. I don’t want to be hurt again. I promised myself that I’ll never let myself drown for people who won’t even get in the water for me.” She answered.

"But you know what? Even after everything, I still want that." He sighed sadly.

"You want what, exactly?" She asked curiously.

"A second chance." He looked at her with hope-filled eyes.

Seohyun laughed bitterly and shook her head.

"I'd rather not have that." She said honestly.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because you take the risk again, Yong. It's like blindly handing over a gun to someone, trusting them completely, and just when you believe they'll never do anything to harm you, they'd pull the trigger when you least expect it and aim it where it hurts the most. Right here." She said as she pointed to her heart. Angry tears came streaming down her face once more as she continued.

"Most people would say that even if they knew the outcome, they'd still go through it because the beautiful memories created out of that disastrous relationship helps even out the pain; but, I'm not like most people. If you don't intend to create beautiful memories with me for the rest of our lives then I'd rather not have any with you at all.

I don't like these memories because the tears come easily, and every day would be a constant battle. A war between remembering and forgetting. I'd rather stay within my boundaries, and keep my heart safe rather than risk only for it to be broken again."

"Hyun, at some point you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy and love is a war. No one comes back the same person they were before they went in. But, the truth is, that's how each of us are made.

At the end of the day, we are left with just two options: waste your life drawing lines or live your life by crossing them. Take an arrow for instance. It can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life, love, foolish ex-boyfriends or "stupid boy groups..." Yonghwa saw a faint hint of a smile with that so he continued.

"...are dragging you back with difficulties, it means it's going to launch you into something great. So, just focus, and keep aiming. You don't have to keep hurting yourself by letting them box you in. Life is full of risks, of second chances. Remember, even your worst days only have twenty four hours."

A moment of silence passed before the two of them ended up laughing.

"Aigoo what an unconventional and rather deeply philosophical conversation between two people who just met." Seohyun chuckled.

"Yeah well maybe we're just taking this opportunity to be more honest about ourselves. Quite refreshing I must say." Yonghwa smiled.

"I agree. It's not like we'll meet each other again after tonight." Seohyun remarked.

With that, he felt his heart sank. He brushed off the feeling, but at the back of his mind he knew that this girl named Seohyun was the one he'll most likely never get over with. Weird.

"Why are you looking like that all of a sudden?" Seohyun wondered.

"Like what?" He said defensively.

"Like somebody just told you Santa Claus doesn't exist." She laughed.

He couldn't help it any longer. He's falling for this beautiful and yet bitter stranger he just met less than an hour ago. He stopped laughing and just sat there silently, watching her laugh to her heart's content until she wiped tears from her eyes.

Seohyun knew that he was staring and if under ordinary circumstances she'd tell him off, this time, she didn't. She nervously tucked her hair behind her ear and tried to calm her beating heart.

"No. It can't be. Not so soon." She thought.

Not wanting to be obvious about her jumbled feelings, she found the courage to look into his eyes and smiled shyly. She could feel a blush creep in when he smiled back at her. She felt like chocolate melting under the heat of a pan.

"Wanna know a secret Hyun?" He leaned closer, acting like a little boy on the lookout for possible eavesdroppers.

She played along and nodded excitedly.

"The only thing more incredible than your smile...." He paused for effect though she already had a clue what he could possibly say next.

"Is when you smile back at me." He chuckled and then without warning, lightly pinched her cheeks.

"Ow!" She pretended to be annoyed just to mask or in hopes of taming the butterflies in her stomach.

"Stop pretending you didn't like it. I can see it in your eyes." He .

"You wish." She huffed.

"Of course I do. You look like an angel. Though I know your heart is even more beautiful than your face." He said effortlessly.

"You have a way with words, Yong. I wonder just how many hearts you broke with that smooth speech of yours." She joked.

"If you'd exclude the fangirls screaming my name, professing their undying love for me, then, how about none?" He thought.

"Would you believe it when I'd say the number is zero?" He asked her.

She looked at him intently and knew that he wasn't lying.

"Weird but I actually do. I believe you Yong." She replied.

He leaned back and lied on the grass, staring at the sky once more.

"They all just fell for my looks. Who I am on the outside and not the inside. Like a plant that blooms, they only fell for the flower, not its roots, so when Autumn arrived, they didn't know what else to do but to leave me and walk away." He said sadly.

"Then I hope that one day you'll find someone who'll make flowers grow in even the saddest parts of you..." She answered.

Another silence passed before the ice broke with their chuckles.

"Getting poetic and melodramatic again, aren't we? Do you by chance, write novels or something for a living, Yong?" She teased.

"No. I write songs though.." He thought but instead he simply shrugged and said, "You could say that."

"Well then Writer Yong, I guess all I can say is it's okay if I'm not your favorite chapter you have written, but I hope that sometimes, you'd smile when you flip back to the pages I was still a part of." She said hopefully.

"I'd rather not let this chapter end if I had a choice." He smiled.

"But it's getting late and I need to check on my cousin if she's still alive...the blood bath back there..whew.." Seohyun said as she tried to push away the regretful feeling of their impending "separation."

She stood up and held her hand to help him get on his own feet. He looked into her eyes as if seeking permission. Deciding she'll go all out for being reckless, she nodded at him until she felt him arms circle her waist to draw her nearer. He held her face, making sure her eyes never leave his.

"Your eyes carry a story that I read every time I gaze into into them, and just with one look, you've become my favorite book....before we go, Hyun, I want you to know that I hope you give yourself a chance to love again. There will come a time when a man will enter your life and make you see the sun where you once saw clouds.

He'll believe in you so much, that you'd start to believe in you too. The kind of guy who will love you simply for being you. The once in a lifetime guy. He's out there Hyun, I know it. In fact, who knows..maybe you're looking at him right this second..." He smiled.

She laughed and lightly hit his shoulder.

"Don't push it mister." She joked around, feeling herself relax in his arms. His embrace felt like home.

"Just sayin'. I'm a once in a lifetime kind of guy Hyun." He shrugged.

"And I'm a once in a lifetime kind of girl too, Yong." She said playfully.

"Then why don't we go get our happy ending?" He asked.

"Because happy endings don't exist." She replied.

"Of course they do. You just have to find the right person." He back, inhaling the scent of her shampoo.

"Still a romantic." She giggled as she held him closer.

"Still a pessimist." He grumbled cutely.

"Yeah well just so you know I'm not afraid of heights, deep water, or love. I'm afraid of falling, drowning, and a broken heart." She said.

"And just so you know too, I've got wings. They're hidden behind my shirt but I can easily unfold them and catch you if you fall. You don't have to worry about drowning because I'd dive head first into the water, make sure it's safe before letting you in it. Lastly, a broken heart can only be made whole by the other half that perfectly fits as if it is the missing piece."

She felt so overwhelmed and touched and crazy and etcetera. Just an hour ago she was so hell bent on her promise to never fall in love again; but here she was, at 12midnight, laughing and hugging this guy called Yong. Seohyun felt happy for the first time in a very long time and this was the exact moment she knew that she was screwed. All because of an empty can of coca cola.

"Like I said it's getting late." She tried to break free from the hug.

Saddened upon the reality that they need to go back, he nodded. He contented himself just holding her hand, purposely walking slowly and leading her to the longer route before they finally found themselves right back where they first met.

"So..." He said.

"So..." She replied.

"Can I walk you home?" He asked.

"Sorry. I've got my car parked over there and I really need to get my cousin home before her and my parents kill us both." She answered, no longer caring to hide the sadness in her voice.

A group of overexcited teenage girls were in sight and she spotted her cousin Yeri, looking at her with wide eyes.

"Tch. I knew it. She's gone crazy by hanging out with those groupies chasing some stupid boy group." Seohyun muttered.

"Stupid boy group?" Yonghwa chuckled.

"Yeah. That "band" called Blue or something. Whatever. She loves the guy with the small eyes a lot. Got a poster of him all over her room." Seohyun shared.

"Does she have a poster of the group...?" Yonghwa asked.

"Nope. Just the one with chinky eyes." Seohyun replied, wondering why Yonghwa looked relieved and amused at the same time.

"Ever heard any of their songs?" He inquired, feeling agitated over the security and the fans who now spotted him and were drawing near.

"Not really. Wasn't paying attention to it anyway. Why?" Seohyun looked at him curiously.

"Maybe you'd want to give it a try and perhaps you wouldn't think of them as a stupid boy group anymore. Who knows? Maybe the leader and vocalist is a "poet?" Or a "writer?" I heard he composed 8/11 tracks in their latest album." He grinned widely.

"KYAAAAAHHHH!!! YONGHWA OPPAAAAAAA!!! SARANGHAE!!!!" The fangirls screamed as they were now running towards them. Luckily, his guards got to them first.

Seohyun finally put two and two together and wanted to die right then and there. All the insults she hurled at him indirectly came flooding her thoughts. She cursed herself inwardly, torn between wanting to run away to avoid the chaos or prevent herself from further melting under his gaze.

Before the crowd could close them in, she felt something rectangular shoved into her hand. The enthusiastic screams and cries drowned his voice and before the two separated completely, he took one last look at her, smiled, and winked.

Too stunned and speechless, Seohyun just let her cousin Yeri drag her back to consciousness. She couldn't process what Yeri was saying about her being with Yonghwa oppa all this time, how crazy jealous his fans were, how romantic she thought of the encounter Seohyun managed to talk about amidst her catatonic state, and etc.

She pulled over to the side to clear her thoughts and perhaps get a dose of caffeine running in her system. She gulped the bitter tasting Americano in one go, much to the amusement of her dear cousin.

Thankfully, they made it back to Yeri's house before both of their parents came back from their respective trips.

"So, unnie? Hey, are you still listening to me? Open it, palli!!!" Yeri squealed excitedly as she plopped down on the bed.

"H-huh? Open what?" Seohyun wondered.

"The signed album Yonghwa oppa gave you!!!" Yeri shouted enthusiastically, trying to take the object from her unnie.

"HEY! Watch it you brat! You might damage it!!!" Seohyun said as she hugged the cd protectively.

"Hahahaha! Now you know what it feels like unnie! Mehrong! Now read it! He must've left a message in there!"

With trembling hands, she flipped through the pages until she saw his autograph on his solo picture.

"Mwoya? What's that?" Yeri looked at the message with a baffled expression.

Seohyun felt the corners of her lips lift to form a smile as she took out her phone and started dialing.

"Morse code, dearie. Now if you pay attention to school, it'll be easy to crack this up. Go to bed little girl. Mehrong!" Seohyun teased the younger one as she turned off the lights and sneaked off to a corner.

"Hmp!!! Not fairr! How can unnie get an autograph on CNBLUE's latest album?!" Yeri whined.

"That's life baby girl. Now go to bed. Sweet dreams! Love you!"

Seohyun kissed her goodnight and went out to the balcony, giggling like a lovestruck high school girl. She held his album on one hand and her phone on the other. Should she or shouldn't she? Still caught up in a debate, she decided to take out her earphones, ancient discman/walkman, and finally, played his cd, letting herself get lost in the melody of his voice and the captivating lyrics of the song.

"Perhaps you wouldn't think of them as a stupid boy group if you listen to their songs."

She smiled and shook her head while wiping her tears. Seohyun couldn't deny that he was right and against all her judgmental insults, she now understood why girls fell for this rocker boy. Before she could hesitate any longer, she dialed his number. He picked up on the first ring.

"Hyun. Done listening to my album? Still think of me as a stupid pretty boy?" Yonghwa laughed on the other line.

"How'd you know I'm not some crazy sasaeng?" She tested him.

"Because this phone number is known only by 7 people. My bandmates, my parents, my older brother, and my future wife." She could imagine him smiling that heart stopping smile of his that would probably make his fans faint.

"Getting ahead of yourself, huh." Seohyun commented.

"What can I say? I'm one of a kind. I mean, once in a lifetime kind of guy."

"And I'm a once in a lifetime kind of girl just so you know." She giggled.

"So? I guess it's safe to say that right now is the beginning of our happily ever after?" He insisted.

"Whatever. Choding. Still a romantic." She rolled her eyes, trying not to feel so happy at the same time.

"And an angel who's still a pessimist." He chuckled.

"To be honest I thought it'll take a while before you'd give me a call. I even considered the high probability that you wouldn't even call me back." He admitted.

"Yeah me too...but I guess I'm tired of moping around. I don't want to waste another second not going after what I want." She confessed.

"I figured I must've left quite an impression on you." He bragged.

"I blame your songs." She joked.

"You'll never recover from me if I serenade you with a song I wrote specifically for you." He beamed.

"But we just met four hours ago." She reminded.

"I'm talented and with the right inspiration, I can come up with something. So, you ready?" He said excitedly.

"Sure. Do send me a copy of the song, rocker Yong. I'll be anticipating it." She laughed.

"That won't be necessary." He answered.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Look down."

Immediately, she stood up from her chair and did as he instructed. Right there below her balcony stood the guy holding a guitar and a bouquet of white roses.

"I wanted it red but I figured you loved the white roses so hehe..." He said shyly.

"What the..how?" She was too overwhelmed to think further.

"Aigoo see how romantic this is. A guy serenading a girl from a balcony." He laughed.

"Yong." She warned.

"Alright alright I won't tease you any more and I've got a schedule too so please do put down the phone Hyun and listen to the song. It's called Love Light."

Both of them put their phones down and he looked into her eyes as he sang her the song that would serve as a special one in the years to come. Forget about the complications of dating an idol. Screw those notions of being heartbroken. For the first time in a long while, she was willing to take a risk, and this time, Seohyun undoubtedly believes that the guy standing below her balcony will prove everything else would be worth it. Because he is. Because they are. Because they're a once in a lifetime kind of couple.

 

 

 

THE END.

 


A/N:

Plot idea came from  Dump the ideas┇story prompts, challenges & tips ♡ and woven together with quotes posted from Poems twitter/facebook accounts.

Again, a product of boredom that helped me battle out sleepiness in the midst of work & studying. Have a happy sunday! Hope you liked this. :)