Introduction

종이 심장 ( Paper Heart)

«« Introduction »»

Word count: 1853 words

Note: This is only a intro, giving a small insight into what happened, love life and everything because the next chapter is where the story will actually begin and the act is set few years into the future ( I still don't know if it'll be a year or if I'll make a large time jump since I'm still in the middle of planning how everything will go, more accurately with what plot I'll go with since I have way too many ideas.) Thank you to everyone who reads this story, subscribes and comments to this story. ❤ P.S. Comments are more than welcomed so I can see if you guys like it or if you simply wanna throw in an idea of your own, thank you ahead. 

 

 

She should have known better than to fall for her best friend. She should have really known better than to harbor any false hope that one day he’ll turn around and see her as someone who was always there for him from day one. She shouldn’t have hoped that his silly crush on a two year older girl would go away after a heartbreak she healed him through few years back that was caused from the same girl. She should have known that even a girl that initially turned him down would eventually fall for his endless charms.

She really should have known better.

Instead now she was stuck healing her own broken heart while thinking that in some way she deserved this because she knew one person, one guy that probably felt the same way at one point of time because of her. Because of her not being able to return his feelings.

 

 

 

The sound of someone opening her bedroom door awoke her that night. The dark, slim but tall nonetheless silhouette walked further in as Soojung blinked away the last traces of sleep out of her eyes just in time to see Jongin sit at the end of her bed. His face traced with something that she couldn’t recognize along with sadness as he spoke up, his voice raspy. She was probably the one to be blamed for that because while she slept he was busy working on their joint project for a class that was due to tomorrow. And even though she didn’t walk out on her own but was forced by him as he could see that she was out of it when she answered his question if she was sleepy with a definition of art history design.

“I thought you were over it. You said you were okay.”

“I am okay.” She said, hand reaching up to rub at the corner of her eye as her eyes were still adjusting to the darkness that surrounded them, the only source of light being providen by the light of the moon that was just barely peeking into the room.

“Chanyeol–” Jongin began only to be interrupted the moment the said name rolled out of his mouth and past his plum lips by Soojung who was now curling up, raising her legs and holding them closely to her chest while pulling the blanket further up as if to protect herself, though she never was the type to let in on when she was hurting. Except that one time a few months ago when she cried the night away on Jongin’s shoulder when Chanyeol ;their joint friend and her crush; got a girlfriend. A year older than him girl and three years older than Jongin and Soojung, Dara was her name. And Soojung knew that because Chanyeol often talked about her like she was the only great thing in the world.

“I told you I was okay and I am. What makes you think that I am not?”

They both knew better though. She was lying. 

“You said his name in your sleep again.” Jongin said, his statement causing Soojung to cascade her gaze downwards where she stared blankly at the pattern of the blanket that was covering her. He knew she wouldn’t say anything so it was with a look of pity that the tan male stood up and walked towards the door only to be stopped by a fragile looking and trembling hand wrapping around his wrist to stop him from going anywhere. Her eyes gave away the hurt she was carrying, a heavy burden of having to watch someone she loved love someone else, a burden Jongin knew all too well and wanted to protect her from, unsuccessfully though.

“I’m sorry.” Soojung voiced, her voice cracking as she gave a weak tug to his wrist. Jongin knew what it meant. I’m sorry I can’t return your feelings. I’m sorry for everything. But above all else it meant thank you. Thank you for being here for me.

“Move.” Was all he whispered out before he slid his hand out of her reach but instead of walking out of the room he turned around and moved himself to bed, slowly, giving enough time for Soojung to move closer to the wall to give him space. Laying down he raised the arm that was the closest to the brunette, allowing her to lean into him and rest her head on his chest before he lowered his arm so it was partialy under her, hand busying itself with caressing her long hair.

“I’m sorry, Jongin.” She tried again.

“Sleep.” Was his only answer, voice steady as she held her to his body and smoothed down her hair. “I have to go finish our project, just some final touches. I’ll crash on your couch when I’m done since it’s too late to go back to apartment I’m sharing with Kyungsoo. I expect pancakes for breakfast as a playback for finishing our project.”

She was lucky to have him, of that she was very well aware of. Even when she turned him down because she couldn’t return his feelings he had ended up sticking by her, laughing when she cried and pleaded for him not to leave her, his answer being that he could never leave her and that promise still stood firm.

“With blueberry?” Soojung asked, even though she knew the answer by herself already. Her question was met with a hum, a groggy one at that from the tan male so instead of saying anything else she lulled herself to stay quiet. He seemed sleepy and she didn’t want to disturb him, promise of getting up and putting those finishing touches on their project herself being glued into her mind, now all she waited was for him to fall asleep.

However what felt as her closing her eyes for a mere second turned out to be at least an hour or two because Jongin was no longer in bed with her. Tossing the blanket to the side she stood up from the bed, feet lazily dragging over the floor as she walked out of the bedroom and into the living room. The project was done, that much she knew as it was neatly placed on top of the table, going with her gaze to the right she saw him, sleeping on his back with one arm dangling from the couch he was sleeping in. Slowly, quietly she moved closer until she dropped to her knees on the floor and then seated herself there sideways so she would be able to look at him.

Reaching up she gently pulled his hair back and away from his face before she carefully lifted his arm that was dangling and put it over his stomach. It wasn’t fair. It really wasn’t. A frustrated tear escaped her eye as she looked at the sleeping beauty that was Kim Jongin. Why couldn’t she fall in love with him.

 

 

 

Jongin was happily munching on the blueberry pancakes that morning in between their classes, while she was just sitting across from him, looking at a empty spot past his shoulder. Her brows were slightly furrowed and her gaze empty and Jongin knew better than to interrupt her when she was so far gone in her own thoughts. Chanyeol came in toe with Dara clinging to his arm and sat himself down next to Jongin while Dara took a seat next to Soojung who was oblivious to the couple joining them.

“She at it again?” Chanyeol spoke, eyes narrowing in playful mock about how the brunette looked like when thinking.

“Yup.” Was Jongin’s casual reply.

It was just as Dara began reaching over to nudge the brunette out of her own world that the brunette slapped her hand against the flat surface of the table causing the blonde girl to jump in her seat with a squeak, her hand that was reaching towards the brunette quickly being taken back and held close to her chest as if she was burned. Chanyeol had his eyes wide and mouth parted in surprise while Jongin was unmoved and simply searched for Soojung’s eyes that gave away determination he hadn’t seen in a while.

Only now realizing that it wasn’t just her and Jongin at the table Soojung let out a small noise of surprise from the back of before making a rash apology, gaze going back and forth between the couple that was sitting with them at the table.

It was close to a year with her keeping up her act surprisingly good, though Jongin kept telling her that her act wasn’t all that good but that Chanyeol was just being a clueless moron. Now however she decided to get over it, really get over everything and that meant letting go. Letting go was the hard part but she knew it was what she needed to fully heal. To just be on her own and not be around him and pretend that she was perfectly fine, that each kiss he placed on the blonds lips didn’t tear right through her heart.

Today she was saying goodbye.

“What was that about, Sooj?” Chanyeol asked as he held onto his girlfriends hand on the table. Her gaze went to the middle of the table where their hands were linked, looking how his thumb went over the back of the blondes hand in a soothing manner; apparently she startled the blonde. Soojung could feel a frown tug on the corners of her lips but instead she replaced it with a smile as she looked up at the raven haired guy that unknowingly held her heart captive.

“Sorry. I forgot about something.” And while both Chanyeol and his girlfriend didn’t have trouble falling for her act and telling her not to scare them like that again she could see from the corners of her eyes that Jongin hadn’t fallen for her act, he knew better. He always did.

“That’s alri–” The blonde girls voice got drowned out by Jongin who cleared his throat as he got up from his sit, gaining looks from the other three on him.

“Sorry, guys. Me and Soojung have to get going. We’ll catch up to you later.”

It was a lie. As far as she knew they had nowhere to be and their class wasn’t starting for another ten minutes. It was all clear why he pulled her away moments later when they were out of the earshot of the couple. He wanted to know what she was up to because as he himself said, nothing slips by him unnoticed and he knew she had decided upon something, just didn’t know what. What came as her answer came a surprise even for him.

He stopped walking, glued to the spot, wandering if he had heard her right while she continued walking, leaving him to watch her walk away with her repeated words lingering behind her “I’m saying goodbye to him today.” was what she said with a smile on her face.

It was time.