Chapter 1: Butterfly

Loop in Time

 

“Everything happens for a reason. The daily tragedies and misfortunes are all meaningful events, leading towards an ideal conclusion…”

 

Walking on a crowded road, close to the street, Mirai, was listening to the soothing music and enjoying her walk. She was heading home after a long and tiring day at school. Everybody was tired right after school but for her it was really hard, being in the last year of high school, she had a lot to learn and of course, loads to think about for her future. She had always enjoyed these peaceful walks, going home, listening to music to calm her mind. Sometimes she read books too and although it was dangerous she did it anyway.

In a car, Hoseok was sulking. He was moving today. While playing on the phone and listening to his mother talking and sometimes humming a lovely song, he felt a bit better. He was leaving his hometown, Kwangju, and moving to Seoul, the capital city of Korea. His mother was promoted so they had to move. Back at Kwanju, he had all his friends, he wanted to stay but he could not let his mother move alone since he had no father, he had to help her in anyway he can.

Mirai was dancing to the wonderful song she was now listening and Hoseok was looking out the window, when all of a sudden he saw a man running towards a girl with a gun in his hand. 

Hoseok saw the man and signaled for her mother to stop, he wanted to help. He needed to do something. Grabbing his phone, he called the police. The man had a gun, he was shivering with adrenaline, and he was heading straight to her direction.

“Kwanju Police Station, how may I help you?” a woman said flatly over the phone.

“Yes, a man has a gun and is about to shoot someone I think. I’m near the Tong Myeongdong Hotel, I think.” He replied in a hurry, he had no idea on what street he was and the only thing he could see was the hotel. The girl did not notice, she just felt a presence  behind her but she let it go. 

“Excuse me sir, but could you please describe the situation better?” The woman asked calmly, trying to control her temper. 

“I don’t know what’s happening, I told you! A man has a GUN! HE IS ABOUT TO SHOOT HER! HURRY UP DAMMIT!” he shouted and was panicking, the man was about to kill her. He grabbed her and spun her around. Her eyes travelled to the guy he was holding and  saw the fiery in the eyes. She smacked the man in the face and made an attempt to run for her life. The man started shooting like a lunatic without hesitation. 

“Please stay calm. We will send someone there right now.” The woman said, the moment she heard Hoseok's shouting and the gun shooting. 

There were people everywhere, some were shot, some took cover, she just ran and before she knew it, she saw a car in front of her. Hoseok wasn’t able to comprehend what happened, he just heard a boom, someone was hit. It was a complete chaos.

There were sirens heard in a distance, fire shots were heard every now and then, it was all a total confusion and complete turmoil.

Then it all went silent… All they could see were butterflies flying around. It was as if the time stopped in that moment and only the little butterflies could be seen moving all over the place; dark and yellow, with their wings flopping around, silently moving.

Then the time re-winded.

Hoseok woke up and he was in the car. He had slept and he woke up.

She was on the road, walking while dancing.

There was no one behind her. Butterflies were flying around again, this time, it was normal. It was as if the chaos never happened, as if it was all just a dream.

She arrived home soon after. Entering the house, she felt weird, but she placed the feeling back in her mind, thinking it was all from being tired.

“Hello sweetie.” Her mother greeted Mirai as she walked through the door.

“Hi mom.” She said while taking off her shoes and throwing her backpack on the floor.

“How was school today?” Her mother said picking her back up and taking it to her room, Mirai following after.

“As usual, my classmates  were monkeying around, the girls flirting with boys, the only thing that changed today was that Sina, she was not feeling well so she left me there with those animals.”  She said while placing her hand on her head and shaking it from left to right.

“I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.” Her mother said as they both walked into Mirai’s room. They sat down and her mother took her hand and slowly said,

“You know about my friend, the one from Kwangju?” she asked.

“Yeah, what about her?” Mirai replied, with a curious look on her face.

“Well, I heard they are moving next door.”

“They are?” she said kind of confused.

“Yeah, they are. And who knows, maybe you two can be friends.”

“Maybe…” was all Mirai could say back.

Her mom left and Mirai just stood up and without even thinking about what her mother said she just took out a book from her backpack and started studying.

Hoseok and her mother took their sweet time to arrive at their new house. They had to turn here and there on so many little ways that they missed some signs and when they finally got in front of the house, they were confused and had no idea how to go back.

They entered the house and it was all nice and clean. Sparkly clean they could say. Hoseok was just amazed at how clean it was all, the house was all furnished and his room was really big. He had everything he needed; a big mirror on his closet, a simple yet nice desk, a soft bed and just enough space for him to dance.

He opened the window to let some air in when he saw a girl in the next house. He looked quickly and then went to the door, only to return and take a better look. He saw the girl from his dream. The one that he saw almost being attacked by a man with a gun.

Mirai looked up, having felt like she was being watched. She just skimmed a smile and Hoseok blushed at that. She was pretty, he couldn’t deny it. Long black hair, with a pretty normal height and not too skinny but not fat either.

They exchanged a few glances and then they went back to what they were doing.

Mirai finished studying after a few hours, however when she was heading to the bathroom and after she undressed in order to take a shower she saw a big bruise on her right side and having no idea where that came from she just rubbed it a little and got in.

Hoseok finished arranging his room; the posters were all up, his clothes neatly placed in the closet, his laptop nicely on the desk, his bed made and ready for it to be used. When he got up however, he felt a slight pain, a headache, but he let it go because he thought it was just from being tired.

They looked out the window before they went to sleep. A butterfly was outside, hovering around in the moonlight. It was a nice image to see before fall into a deep slumber. Just like that. They watched the butterfly fly away and slowly they fell asleep.

 

                “Butterflies have always been said to carry souls of the dead or to bring bad omens.”

 


A/n: I hope this is a good chapther to start a story. This will have 3 parts. I hope everyone will enjoy reading it and sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker! Feel free to comment and tell me what you think about this~