Say It Again (Fridays Part 3)

Say It Again

Sometimes, love comes when you least expect it. Sounds cliche but it proved true in my case. If it happened to you, it happened to me too. You see, when I first tried my luck in show business, the only reason I had in mind was to make my parents happy and proud of me. It was my wish and it came true. But, how could I have known that somewhere along the way, this beautiful and bubby girl from Cebu would turn my world around, would make me fall in love with her – head over heels, if I may add, just when I least expected it?


“Hey Ge!” I think I heard her say, but I just sat there, immobilized.

“Baby, okay ka lang ba?” She asked in concern, her voice low and she looked around.

The soft touch of her hand as she playfully pinched my cheek brought me back from my reverie.

I nodded. “Yeah! I was just thinking.” It was true, I have done a lot of thinking lately for that matter.

“About me?” She teased, digging her toes into the soft cool sand. We were now facing the ocean, sitting beside each other.

“Bakit naman kita iisipin? Hindi kaya kita iniisip.”

Obviously, I was just trying to redeem myself but my voice and eyes betrayed me. And the burning of my cheeks must have given me away too.

“Eh bakit ka namumula dyan?” Kim teased back, smiling.

“Sige, mag deny ka pa, alam ko naman po na ako ang palaging iniisip nyo.” I bet she could really see my crimson face even in the dusk.

Kim just knew me too well. It didn’t take me any longer to give up.

“Guilty beyond reasonable doubt!” I raised my hand in mid-air, drew closer and tilted her chin up toward me.

“Sabi ko na nga ba eh...” Kim smiled. This time, it was a rather shy smile. She must have read what was on my mind.

“Hindi po pwede yang nasa isip nyo ngayon...”

With an exasperated sigh, I contented myself with holding her hand.

“At least you know who I was thinking...”

“I think so...” She assured me.

For a moment, we sat there and enjoyed the view. Nothing could be any sweeter than having her close to me as we watched the faint rays of the sun, leaving the world to red and gold as it glided above the horizon.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“You look tired...” Kim told me some minutes later.

“Konti, pero okay lang ako. Andito ka eh.” It may have been a really tiring day, after having ASAP and the long travel but then I’ve always looked forward to spending some quality time alone with my special girl. This was Bora and we just had some of our most cherished memories here.

“I’m hungry...” She told me.

“Actually, I was just about to say that. Naunahan mo lang ako.” I stood up first and then helped her to her feet. “ But I don’t feel like eating inside. “ I explained, looking at the hotel where we were staying. Alright, I was just looking for an excuse to be with her alone.

“Oi, gusto nya kaming dalawa lang.” Kim teased just once more. “ So, where do you wanna eat?”

“Ikaw...”

Kim thought for a second or two. Then I saw that mischievous glint in her eyes.

“I’ve been thinking about this since this morning, gusto ko kasing kumain ng barbeque eh!”

“Barbeque?”

“Yes, barbeque! Just like before, remember?” She wiggled her brows then pulled me to where the barbeque stands where.

“Teka, san naman tayo pupunta?”

“Kakain kaya...Pero dapat hindi tayo lalagpas ng one hundred pesos ha?” She declared, much to my confusion.”

I raised my brows and smiled a little. “Bakit naman? Kimmy ha, baka akalain ng mga tayo cheapskate ako.”

Kim stopped walking and turned to face me. “In case you have forgotten, Mr. Anderson, it’s from you that I got this idea. Sabi mo pa nga, the best things in life are those that we don’t have to spend much for di’ba?”
I started collecting my thoughts and figured out what she was trying to tell me. “My idea?”

“Yes.” We started to walk in a slow pace again. “A hundred pesos, mineral water, barbeque....”

I waited for her to continue but she purposely stopped mid sentence.

“And what?” I asked, kind of excited and curious.

She winked, “Basta, you’ll figure out what I mean when we get there.”

And so, ladies and gentlemen, after having our fill of barbeque, which I hardly tasted, because for some reason, I could feel some butterflies in my stomach and I couldn’t tell why – we walked hand in hand by the shore. It was a cold night and it felt good having her close to me.

“Ge, you know how grateful I am to have you for a friend, right? In fact, you are my best friend.”

Surprised with her sudden declaration, I stopped walking and looked at her straight.

“Of course...and you know very well that I feel the same way, don’t you?” I questioned back.

She lifted the corner of to smile. “I just thought

I would let you know, minsan kasi baka nakakalimutan ko ng sabihin or ipaalam sa’yo.”

We started to walk again, this time, slower.

“Anong tawag dito sa ginagawa natin ngayon?” She asked then.
I couldn’t help but let out a soft laughter. There must be something in her mind but I just couldn’t think of what it was.

“Nasa the buzz ba tayo ngayon?” I kidded. “Para kasing you’re asking me tough ten questions eh.”

“Sira!” Kim playfully slapped me in the chest. It was something that she usually does that I find really endearing. And she laughed along. Have I told you that when Kim laughs, it was like the sound of soft chimes in the air?

“Di nga...”

“Ge naman. Seryoso ang tao eh...and it’s a legit question.”

I cleared my throat. “I’m sorry. O sige na, I am answering that legit question of yours. “We’re spending some quality time together...strolling. Romantic strolls as what I would always call it di’ba?”

She tenderly squeezed my hand. “Just what I was hoping you’d say.”

“Di ba I promised you this. We’re going to have a lot of romantic strolls together, now and in the future. You and me, walking hand in hand...to me its all that matters.” I ranted. Emotions suddenly got the hold me of and when I do, I couldn’t stop myself.

And I am telling you, there was really something in Kimmy tonight for she answered, like she was reading a script she had written for me, though I can feel the sincerity in her voice.

“Being with you today, well, I guess it’s pretty obvious how happy I am...”

“No one could be any happier than me, Kim. May hang over pa nga ako sa GenSan eh.” I smiled. “And you know what, I’ve been meaning to tell you about this, hindi lang talaga ako maka tiyempo, but now that I do, sasabihin ko na.”

“Ano yun?”

I sighed. “When I left for GenSan last week, I thought about you all the time and I really wished I could have taken you with me.” Suddenly, I could feel a lump in my throat. Oh my, I’ve been like a leaking faucet lately.

“Andun naman ako di’ba?” The silver light of the moon shadowed her beautiful face.

“Much to my surprise and delight...it would have never been complete without you there. Tini-text pa kita that very night pero anong sabi mo?” My question was now teasing.

“Nasa mall ako.” Kim almost laughed but she tried not to.

“Yun nga ang sabi mo...so imagine my surprise when I saw you. I was the happiest person on earth. Talagang happy birthday para sa akin yun.”

“I’m glad to know that.” She cupped my face.

I caught her hand. “Really Kim, thank you for being there.”

“I wouldn’t be anywhere else that night...tonight.”

“I’m just so glad we could spend some time together.” This time, my eyes welled up with tears, I just couldn’t hold it any longer. “I miss you so much...” The pain and sincerity in my voice gave me away. I can see through her eyes that Kim was feeling the same way too. I circled my arms around her.

It was a hug that I’ve been longing for.

“Its’ okay...” She said softly. “I mean its not okay na hindi tayo madalas nagkakasama lately but..you know I’m always here for you. Hindi ako mawawala, that’s a promise.”
When we pulled apart, it was then that I realized that Kim was already crying.

My heart felt like it was going to explode and yet, being with Kim keeps it in its place. Looking at her made me realize once more that I was lucky to have found her, even when I least expected it. On the other hand, I felt that it was not just about luck. I’ve been blessed to have her, like I didn’t know that I was looking for someone until I found her. Kim was someone I could laugh with, she is my best friend, confidante and the love of my life.

“Alam mo ba na mas lalo kang gumagwapo kapag umiiyak ka?” Kim softly said. I knew it was her attempt to make light of the rather emotion-filled situation.

“Ganun?”

She nodded.

“So what do you say?” I asked before she could even say something.

“Say what?” It was her turn to be confused.

I flashed a smile. “Suddenly, I remember what the barbeque meant and the hundred pesos too. I pointed to a nearby spot where wooded signages were standing on the sand.

My thoughts then went back to that one night back in 2008, a night that I will never forget. It was at this same spot in Bora where we, Kim and I, forever friends, took one romantic stroll together.

“FRIDAYS...” She smiled, her eyes were moist again.
I rested her head on my shoulders.

“How could I forget?” I smiled back, giving myself a fill of her scent as I kissed the top of her hair.

“Let’s go...” We walked towards those wooded signages.
Stopping at the letter I, Kim cleared and said.

“I DO –“ Looking at me in the eye. “I look forward to that day when I would finally hear those words from you.”

There was nothing for me to say. My DREAMGIRL, the one right in front of me, was telling me the exact words I had written for her that night.

I moved to letter A, her hand in mine. “So, how many little ANDERSONS would you like to have?” I asked playfully, but I meant it just the same. I could only care less about the people who were passing by and looking at us.

Kim was likewise oblivious to her surroundings and was just enjoying the moment with me.

“Ikaw eh...” She answered. Her eyes lit up. “YOU make want to be the best me and if you’ll allow me to borrow your words- “ She paused. “YOU will always have me to care about you, 5, 10, 30 years from now, you will always be in my heart.” The night was getting cooler but her smile warms me up.

I chuckled. “I bet you never thought or expected me to say those things...”

“Not that night. Considering there were so many people around and it was your night. I mean...”

“But you are a part of my life and always will be. Kahit i-broadcast ko pa sa buong mundo at sa buong solar system, I wouldn’t mind.”

Our gazes locked. We have grown so much to be a part of each other and somehow, I just have to say it again. I didn’t care how many times I have said it, I just had to say it again.

“I love you, Kim.” There I said it. I carefully planted a soft kiss on her lips. Was it just my imagination or did my heart thumped triple-time? “Remember, Fridays...”

“I love you too, Gerald. I just want to let you know once again that I do.” She blinked the tears in her eyes. “Fridays too...”

“It looks like you’ve got me whether you want me or not.” I kidded.

“Oh I want you alright.” She assured me.

I wrapped my arms around her and held her close. I could stay that way forever. I couldn’t think of anything else in the world that I wanted more than to spend my whole life with Kim.

We both looked up to the letter S and smiled.

SERENDIPITY.

While it may be fate that brought us together, as if the whole universe conspired to bring us to each other, it was our choice and love that will keep us that way. Forever. 

************************************************************************************************************************

Para po sa mga hindi pa nababasa ang Fridays, here is the link if you wish to read it :

winglin.net/fanfic/anne1011