Final

my gift to you (in the form of a twisted ankle)

This is the fourth year Yoongi is spending with Jimin on his birthday, yet he still has no idea what to give him.

 

Previous year’s gifts had all turned out to be a huge fail. His first year, he bought the kid a cake but ended up tripping over his own goddamn feet when giving it to him so all seven of them ended up spending the rest of the night cleaning up the mess Yoongi had made.

 

The second year, Yoongi tried to take Jimin out to a surprise dinner with just the two of them but he ended up accidentally falling asleep at the studio an hour before they were supposed to leave with Jimin finding him hours later, drooling on the keyboard.

 

Last year, Yoongi thought that nothing could possibly go wrong with a gift card. However, luck seemed to just not be on his side when he got a phone call days later from Jimin asking why there wasn’t any money on there.

 

This year, Yoongi thought, nothing was going to go wrong. He would give Jimin something nice and simple, possibly some new dancing shoes. Or he could give him a song (but how obvious would that be?). So Yoongi racked his mind for ideas but came up with none. He even made a pinterest account to try and find creative do it yourself projects. Page after page showed complicated art projects that Yoongi didn’t have the time nor patience to complete. He searched for hours on end for the perfect gift but couldn’t find anything that satisfied him.

 

He proceeded to shut down the computer for the night, vowing to find something soon.

 

-

 

A few days before Jimin’s birthday, Yoongi started to scope out his competition, looking out for possible inspiration.

 

Looking into Taehyung’s room, he found the boy haphazardly wrapping a food basket together, full of nice sweets and treats that would surely rot Jimin’s teeth. He closed the door and went down the hall quietly to Namjoon’s room to find his gift already wrapped. Yoongi didn’t know what it was, but he knew Namjoon wasn’t very creative with his gift giving (once he gave Yoongi a book on sewing because apparently none of Yoongi’s clothes fit him properly). Jimin’s gift was probably either a copy of his own mixtape or some philosophical book he found on sale.

 

Just as Yoongi was about to close the door however, he felt a jolt at his back, causing him to bump faces with whoever was behind him.

 

“Ouch, that hurt. You know I have an image to maintain,” said a voice behind him. Yoongi didn’t have to open his eyes to know it was Jimin.

 

“What image? We all know I carry the looks for our team here,” Yoongi joked back, opening his eyes.

 

Jimin was pressed very close to Yoongi, his musky scent enveloping Yoongi. Yoongi tried to calm down the fast beat of his heart but it was very hard when he noticed Jimin wasn’t moving back and neither was he. They stood like that for a few awkward moments, looking intently into each other’s eyes before Jimin spoke up.

 

“Hyung, guess who’s birthday is in a couple of days?” Jimin asked in a teasing tone, swaying back and forth.

 

“Let me guess. Is it another brat’s birthday? Funny because Jungkook’s was last month.”

 

Jimin pouted and Yoongi resisted the urge to look at him, still melting like ice cream on a hot day after all these years when Jimin would press out his full bottom lip whenever something didn’t go his way.

 

“Very funny. But this year, you don’t have to give me anything.”

 

Yoongi frowned, looking at Jimin’s face to see if he was joking, but he seemed serious.

 

“Why so?”

 

“Every year something seems to go wrong and even though it’s funny, I hate seeing you sulk around after because you weren’t able to give me a proper gift. Your existence is enough to me!” Jimin exclaimed, sounding so greasy yet innocent at the same time. It melted Yoongi’s cold heart to hear Jimin’s concern for the older boy even though Yoongi deserved it by making careless mistakes.

 

“Trust me Jimin. This year I’m going to make it up to you. Promise.”

 

-

 

It was now a day before Jimin’s birthday and Yoongi had nothing. He spent all of yesterday at the mall, roaming various stores for anything that he could give. He spent hours at the candle store, leaving with a car freshner for the company van (seriously it stinks when all of them ride in it after a broadcast). He went into foot locker to find that he didn’t even actually know Jimin’s shoe size. He had tried to text Jin and ask him, only getting a curt Yoongi, you should know this by now before getting hung up on. So he had left the mall, car freshner in tow.

 

He now sat at his desk, searching the web for ideas before stumbling upon Youtube videos of promposals, seeing all the ways these people were embarrassing themselves in front of their loved ones.

 

Yoongi had an idea.

 

-

 

Jimin’s birthday had started out with a fan signing, with Jimin getting showered in  praises and gifts (like usual) before they set off for a late lunch at a local restaurant. They ate to their heart’s contents and after, they headed home to rest before the night’s celebrations started. Yoongi had managed to sneak off to the office part way into the afternoon, practicing in the dance room. He twisted and turned and ended up falling into a heap onto the floor at the end of his beautifully executed routine, sweat pooling at his temples. The clock read 18:00 and that was his cue to get Jimin.

 

Entering the front door of their dorm, he found it oddly quiet with everyone doing their own thing after a long day. All of their gifts were stacked on top of the coffee table, showing an array of sizes and colored wrapping paper. Tiptoeing past the big box on the floor (damn jin. he probably got jimin that mini fridge that he’s been hinting at) Yoongi made his way down the hall to Jimin’s room, knocking on the door. He heard a small muffle and that was his cue to come in.

 

He found Jimin pressed underneath under all of his blankets, his eyes red as if he had been napping. Yoong resisted the urge to take a picture of Jimin looking like this and instead cleared his throat.

 

“Ah, Jimin. Hyung needs you to come with him.”

 

Jimin just squeezes his eyes together, getting out of the bed to grab onto Yoongi’s outstretched hand. Yoongi spins him around, tying a cloth around his eyes.

 

“We’ll be there soon.”

 

-

 

Yoongi pushed through the door of the dance room, setting Jimin down on the strategically placed seat. He quickly turns on the music player and gets into position on the floor before yelling out to Jimin to take off his blindfold. The music starts a few seconds later and with his first step, Yoongi regrets everything.

 

Yoongi knows he’s not known for his dancing but he really tries to listen to Hoseok’s advice (you have to be one with the music!) so he sways his body to the beat before moving his body in fluid like moves. He glides across the smooth floor, singing along with the song. Even though his eyes are closed for dramatic effect, he can see Jimin’s bright smile.

 

Let’s not fall in love, we don’t know each other very well yet

Actually, I’m a little scared, I’m sorry

Let’s not make promises, you never know when tomorrow comes

But I really mean it when I say I like you

 

At the last lyric, he spun on his feet to finish in a perfect position. However, like all of the previous birthday disasters before, it was only fitting Yoongi would twist his feet wrong and end up hurting his ankle, leaving him lying in pain on the ground. The music cut out and Jimin ran to Yoongi’s side, panicking.

 

“Hyung, are you okay, are you hurt, what happened? I’m sorry you hurt yourself, I told you not to get me a gift-” Yoongi pressed a hand over Jimin’s mouth, shushing the younger up.

 

“Jimin, I did a wrong move, I’m not dying.”

 

Jimin seemed to physically relax at this, pressing a small kiss to Yoongi’s palm. Yoongi took his hand away as if he had gotten shocked, pink dusting his cheeks.

 

“Thank you hyung. This was the best gift ever.”

 

“Thank god. It took me an hour to coordinate this dance. But really now, my ankle hurts. Maybe next year I’ll just make you a song. I’m getting too old for this.”


(Later after Jimin had opened all of his presents, he snuck next to Yoongi and his wrapped up foot, kissing him on the cheek as thanks. And Yoongi decided that yea, this was a good birthday after all. )